The 2010 World Cup Thread / South Africa

1410 (210pm) in Iraq...

Have the big screen tuned into WC coverage...

AFN came through and we're getting all the games...:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Great win by Korea, Greece looked dreadful.

A report card on Team USA from the USA Today on the ENG/USA match...
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/2010-06-12-usa-england-report-card_N.htm
Winners and Losers form the ENG/USA match from Yahoo Sports...
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/england-u-s-winners-and-losers--fbintl_ro-winners061210.html

If Team USA goes to the final, Tim Howard would be the the player of the tournament.

Sunday Matches...

ALG/SVN...7:30 EDT
SRB/GHA...10:30 EDT
GER/AUS...2:30 EDT

7 goals scored in 2 days of the FIFA World Cup.

We had a great time last night....We had a cookout before the game and invited our British Counterparts over for burgers and relaxation before the game.

The British Royal Navy Captain from Um Qasr brought over some of his Royal Marines and stayed for the game, it was a blast.

Earlier yesterday, some of the Brits came and paraded around our compound with English Flags...after the game, we went and paraded around their compound with American Flags.....

It was all in good humor and a lot of fun:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Oh, and it got really loud in our break room too, especially after the US Goal:rolleyes1:lmao::lmao:

So what sort of coverage does the WC get in the US nowadays? Would your average person know its happening?

ESPN is devoting more coverage to the World Cup than ever. Besides broadcasting each match, there is a wrap up show each day and rebroadcast of the matches on ESPN Classic at night.m They finally recognize the diversity in America and there are soccer fans out there.

It's really the only time the general populace knows/hears about Soccer. ESPN has done a good job expanding coverage this year for Soccer. They added EPL & La Liga matches every weekend, and they are doing a great job with the World Cup so far. Replaying matches from past WC's on ESPN Classic, every show is leading with World Cup talk. It's nice.

I'm a fan of all things Soccer, so I'm glad for the coverage recently. :thumbsup2

ETA: I just saw that they are replaying the Kick-Off concert on Primetime Network TV tonight.

I have to humbly disagree. There used to be a time the only way to watch soccer was Italian soccer on RAI or Mexican League on Univision and that was only if you had an antenna strong enough to pick up UHF signals. Not, I can pretty much get 24 hours of soccer of Fox Soccer Channel and the aforementioned games on ESPN.

In 1986, the only way to watch the World Cup was being there. I recall working for IBM and they brought a satellite set up into the IBM Country Club for all the international assignees that wanted to watch. In 1990, TNT broadcast the games WITH COMMERCIAL interruptions. It was awful. Even in 1994, when the cup was here, most of ESPN's matches were shown on ESPN2, which a lot of cable carriers weren't yet offering. Now, I can watch all games in HD, 3-D or whatever way I choose.

In closing, I offer you the latest joke going around the Internet:

Q: What do Michael Jackson and Robert Green have in common?

A: They both use gloves for no apparent reason.

I have to humbly disagree. There used to be a time the only way to watch soccer was Italian soccer on RAI or Mexican League on Univision and that was only if you had an antenna strong enough to pick up UHF signals. Not, I can pretty much get 24 hours of soccer of Fox Soccer Channel and the aforementioned games on ESPN.

Trying to find what you were disagreeing with. I was praising ESPN for the expansion of their coverage. :confused3

Trying to find what you were disagreeing with. I was praising ESPN for the expansion of their coverage. :confused3

Sorry, I should have quote only this part, It's really the only time the general populace knows/hears about Soccer.

Monday 14 Jun Matches...

ITA 1 - PAR 1
JPN 1 - CMR 0
NED 2 - DEN 0
-------------------
Tuesday 15 Jun Matches...

"The Group of Death matches starts"

NZL - SVK... 7:30 am EDT
CIV - POR... 10:00 am EDT
BRA - PRK... 2:30 pm EDT

North Korea (PRK) has 1000-1 odds to win the FIFA World Cup

What a great game between Portugal and Ivory Coast. I think it was my favourite so far. Great defending from both teams:upsidedow

Tuesday's match results...

NZL 1 / SLV 1
CIV 0 / POR 0
BRA 2 / PRK 1

----------------------------
Wed 16 June matches...Group H / Group A

HON / CHI...7:30 am EDT
ESP / SUI...10:30 am EDT
RSA / URU...2:30 pm EDT

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter