The 2010 World Cup Thread / South Africa

I am enjoying the banter, one of my friends put on their facebook earlier on

"England vs USA - kick off is 1930 - although I suspect the Yanks will turn up at 1941 and try and claim they won it" :rotfl:

Simon Cowell put together a song this year which is sung by Dizzee Rascal and James Cordon (hes a comedian)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN8H7nUfkqg

but this is our best ever football song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZWxS6Sj6yo

I cant wait, there are flags everywhere here at the moment, all the cars have them on!

:)

The waiting is finally over! Less than 90 minutes until South Africa vs. Mexico. I already told my work and my family that I'm "checked out" until July 12th. :rotfl:

The best part is that I'm on vacation at the beach for the 2nd week of Pool play. The PERFECT place to enjoy the matches!

Good luck to everyone who has a rooting interest in the competition. For those countries who didn't make it this year, enjoy the World's biggest and, arguably, most important competition, and hopefully we'll see your country in 2014!

What a great opening match... RSA 1 -MEX 1.

The entire nation of South Africa should be proud of hanging in there with the 17th FIFA ranked team of Mexico. And RSA gets that 1 point.

USA/ENG in less than 26 hours.

The entire nation of South Africa should be proud of hanging in there with the 17th FIFA ranked team of Mexico. And RSA gets that 1 point.

RSA should have won that game. Unlucky their shot hit the post with 1 minute remaining.

Wish RSA would have gotten the victory, but the draw keeps the Host Country record alive. In opening matches, the Host County is undefeated!

Ohhhh....the "buzzing bees" sound!! Is that obnoxious sound going to be there for ALL games? I was hearing it before I saw the TV & asked DH what he was watching. I may have to watch on Saturday with the sound muted!

note to self... bring ear plugs.

So what sort of coverage does the WC get in the US nowadays? Would your average person know its happening?

Ohhhh....the "buzzing bees" sound!! Is that obnoxious sound going to be there for ALL games? I was hearing it before I saw the TV & asked DH what he was watching. I may have to watch on Saturday with the sound muted!

Couldn't make it through both games today. Might be cute when you look at one of them, but thousands actually "playing" at once, not so much.

I seriously don't think I can listen to it all the time. Will have to mute too, or not watch. Guess I'm a sound wimp. lol

So what sort of coverage does the WC get in the US nowadays? Would your average person know its happening?

It's really the only time the general populace knows/hears about Soccer. ESPN has done a good job expanding coverage this year for Soccer. They added EPL & La Liga matches every weekend, and they are doing a great job with the World Cup so far. Replaying matches from past WC's on ESPN Classic, every show is leading with World Cup talk. It's nice.

I'm a fan of all things Soccer, so I'm glad for the coverage recently. :thumbsup2

ETA: I just saw that they are replaying the Kick-Off concert on Primetime Network TV tonight.

I hate how the disaster with the oil spill and BP is being brought into the games. The media is hyping it up like we are all of the sudden anti-British.

I think the majority of Americans can distinguish between a corporation that happens to be owned by a British company and that the actual people of that nation are two different things!;)

Sigh, we can't keep politics out of anything, can we?:rotfl:

Anyways, go U.S.A!!!!!!!!!

(and go Cubs :rotfl:)

Older DS & DDIL are going to a pub on Saturday for the game. I think they're meeting up with friends for the game. He plans to go into work a little late with the next two games, since they start at 7 AM, local time.

So, yeah, I think there are a lot of people who are very interested in these games. It's tough, with college baseball regionals now, and of course, MLB. Locally, we've got a huge golf tournament and some sort of big-deal auto racing soon. But, SportsTalk Radio in San Francisco is hyping it properly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter