The 2009 Vero Beach Adoration and INFO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a "sandscrew" with the umbrella swap and it was very easy to use. The sand is a firm sand that will really hold the umbrella in place. I'd recommend the sandscrew or sandgrabber. The guys who set up the rental umbrellas use a shovel.

Years ago, my wife and I bought for her sister and hubby a beach umbrella where the umbrella shaft came apart. What was included in the kit was a small table that had a reinforced plastic edge with which you could pound the umbrella base deep into the sand, connect the table which had cup holders, then put up the umbrella and open it. Being able to pound the umbrella base deep into the sand made the whole unit more secure. The only thing you would have to watch for would be rocks.

I don't know if this exists any longer, but it might inspire a more complete search.

I hope this helps!

Happy Travels,

Dr Jamba
I Prefer To Be Called Evil Genius

FYI for those who were thinking about flying Jet America into Melbourne.

This was in the local paper today. I was really hoping they would make a go of it as flights from Melbourne to Lansing are perfect for us.

Discount air carrier JetAmerica, which targeted Melbourne, folds before first flight

BY ADAM LOWENSTEIN Florida Today
Originally published 02:44 p.m., July 20, 2009
Updated 02:44 p.m., July 20, 2009

MELBOURNE — Balking at paying nearly $500,000 for take-off “slots” at Newark International Airport, JetAmerica on Friday suspended its operations with more than 25,000 tickets sold but not a single flight taken.

The airline’s chairman vowed to return to service this fall, however, with Melbourne’s airport — the closest commercial airport to Indian River County — serving as the base for the operation’s lone Boeing 737-800 jet.

“Melbourne will be our focus city,” Steve Schoen said in a telephone interview late Friday from Clearwater, where the airline is based. He later added that the airport in Lansing, Mich., will also be a “target city.”

Schoen said late October or November is the goal for starting service, giving the airline time to adjust its marketing materials and schedule after dropping Newark and likely replacing it with another New York metro area airport, such as Islip or White Plains, and possibly adjusting other routes.

In the meantime, ticket holders should receive automatic refunds in the next 14 business days.

The culprit behind the shutdown, according to Schoen, was the same one that caused the airline to delay its inaugural July 14 flights for a month: slots at Newark.

Spokesman Bryan Glazer said Friday the problem started months ago when JetAmerica, being a charter airline, was told it did not need slots at Newark. Once that was determined, the airline began selling tickets.

But the Federal Aviation Administration later told JetAmerica that it was operating like a scheduled airline, not a charter, and would, in fact, need slots. Buying the slots from other airlines at upwards of $40,000 each became “cost prohibitive,” Glazer said, and triggered first the July delay, and then, on Friday, the shutdown.

Schoen said other charter operations at Newark were allowed to operate without slots, and that it would have cost JetAmerica at least $450,000 to purchase the slots needed for its schedule.

“That’s unheard of for a charter carrier,” he said.

Between refunds from the first month of cancelled flights and those tickets purchased for mid-August and beyond, the airline will return about $1.5 million to customers, Glazer said, and pay about $45,000 of its own money for credit card transaction fees.

“We are disappointed that JetAmerica was unable to overcome its business start-up hurdles, but we understand the myriad of challenges involved in creating a new airline,” said Richard Ennis, executive director of Melbourne International. “This is why the airport board, based on past experience, made its agreement with the airline performance-based.”

Still, the board spent most of the $25,000 it allocated for marketing JetAmerica, but there may be a payoff yet, said airport spokeswoman Lori Booker. Melbourne was an attractive destination for other JetAmerica airports, including those in Lansing and Toledo, Ohio.

“We can’t help but think that the heightened visibility will pay off in the long run,” she said.

About refunds

JetAmerica customers not receiving a full refund in 14 days may call 727-451-3970.

Source: JetAmerica

Well that is embarassing :rolleyes1.... Although you just did help! Now one night Ocean Grille and 1 night Oriente!!!:cool1:

:rotfl: But for real - Oriente does not sound at all like the name of a Cuban-fusion restaurant! :rotfl::confused3

Whoa! Just found this thread back on page 3!!:scared1:

OK, so I haven't been to a FL beach in who knows how long. Up here, our local beaches in Maryland & Delaware can get a bit chilly at night with the ocean breezes etc...so we always take sweatshirts & long pants too for the evenings. We are going to VB in 3 weeks - will I need to pack this extra layer of clothing for August?! I hope the answer is NO!!!:confused3

Anybody??

We had a "sandscrew" with the umbrella swap and it was very easy to use. The sand is a firm sand that will really hold the umbrella in place. I'd recommend the sandscrew or sandgrabber. The guys who set up the rental umbrellas use a shovel.

Thanks.. with us leaving so soon I won't have time to order one so I will hope we can find it at the Walmart or whatever out there! If nothing else, we can buy dh a shovel!! :rotfl2:

Whoa! Just found this thread back on page 3!!:scared1:

OK, so I haven't been to a FL beach in who knows how long. Up here, our local beaches in Maryland & Delaware can get a bit chilly at night with the ocean breezes etc...so we always take sweatshirts & long pants too for the evenings. We are going to VB in 3 weeks - will I need to pack this extra layer of clothing for August?! I hope the answer is NO!!!:confused3

Anybody??
Absolutely NOT!!!!!! It is VERY HOT, even at night in August. If by chance you get the once in 25 years temp change, well that will give you a good excuse to by a VB sweatshirt!!:wizard:

Absolutely NOT!!!!!! It is VERY HOT, even at night in August. If by chance you get the once in 25 years temp change, well that will give you a good excuse to by a VB sweatshirt!!:wizard:

:lmao: It does not take much of an excuse for me to buy new clothing...but now that I am trying to pack lighter tho and check less luggage since we got the Owners Locker I have to be REALLY careful about how much stuff I buy while I'm there so I can get it home!! Hummm...suppose there's always the idea of wearing layers on the plane!! :rotfl:

My son and his fiance will check in for their honeymoon at Vero two weeks from today! I hope they enjoy the resort as much as we have. They have never been there.

I still wear long pants at night on the beach because of the bugs.

It is so HOT here today. This has to be one of the hotest days ever.

My son and his fiance will check in for their honeymoon at Vero two weeks from today! I hope they enjoy the resort as much as we have. They have never been there.

O boy we will be checking in the same day (8/9)! :banana: This will be our first trip there too!

3 weeks from today for me although the first two nights are at AKL Jambo House. Then off to Vero Beach! But who's counting???

We left Vero last Thursday (July 23) after a 4 night stay. It was wonderful. The beach is beautiful and the pool is refreshing. How does Disney keep the water cool???!!! Anyway, we were in a one bedroom villa in building 15. We lucked out -- third floor (top) and an ocean view from our rooms. It was very relaxing and peaceful. You can be as active as you want.

If you are planning on staying on the beach for any length of time, I suggest you either invest in an umbrella or be ready to spring for one at the resort. After 10, the sun is scorching.

We went to the pirate dinner in Shutters on Monday night. Pirate Goofy and Pirate Donald are the two characters and it was fun. Our 3 year old DGD loved the pirates. The characters came stopped by our table several times during the meal, but the first time, they spent a lot of time with us. The food was served family style, all you can eat. No dessert which I thought was strange. Pretty good for Disney food, but not outstanding. If you or your kids are into pirates, I would suggest it. It was fun. Everyone gets into the act.

We are looking forward to our next trip to Vero -- don't know when, but we know we'll go back.:banana:

O boy we will be checking in the same day (8/9)! :banana: This will be our first trip there too!

Hey, I'm posting their picture so you'll know who they are. Their names are Cody and Hannah. If you see them ask "Hey aren't you Cody and Hannah?" It will probably blow their minds!!

Here is the lovely couple.(ain't it great great having a photographer for a dad)

553368392_img_4277bw.jpg

Hey, I'm posting their picture so you'll know who they are. Their names are Cody and Hannah. If you see them ask "Hey aren't you Cody and Hannah?" It will probably blow their minds!!

Here is the lovely couple.(ain't it great great having a photographer for a dad)

Oh they are adorable! I will keep an eye out for them! Wouldn't that be a hoot!:lmao:

ok 2 more questions.. vacation is coming quickly :banana:.. wondering does Vero Beach area have a dollar type store around there? Perhaps near one of the Walmarts. Thinking that would be a good place to get some pool toys/sand toys on our way to the resort. Also, as far as bbq'ing, does anyone know if there is a big demand for them (it)? We thought we would cook up a bunch of hamburgers/hotdogs/chicken to have for lunches/dinner while we are there and didn't know if there will be a problem using them? Figured we would do a bunch so we could nuke it later. Thanks!!

I'm not positive about this, but the only grills I saw were across the road by the lake. This was in October, and in the morning, but the place was deserted.

The grills are across the road, along the lake. I didn't see them used a lot when I was there for spring break. When they were being used, folks seemed to have driven over there. It wouldn't be easy to carry charcoal, food, etc. over there. There is an underpass under the road, so it is a safe walk, but it is kind of far.

Hello everyone.

Well, we have been and are home so I thought I'd better share some photos with you all. We had a fab time at Vero and I can't thank the folks contributing to this thread enough!

We were in OVIR 2217 for 5 nights, June 30th until July 5th

IMG_2880-2.jpg

The balcony was great and I got up early as suggested to see this:thumbsup2

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

Another view from our balcony!!
IMG_2712.jpg

we were delighted with this-
IMG_2693.jpg

and this.
IMG_2694.jpg

It was the best DVC room we were in the whole trip, with BCV a close second...(but no ipod dock) and VWL in need of a bit of TLC!:sad1:

More pics to follow!
Lesley:flower3:

The grills are across the road, along the lake. I didn't see them used a lot when I was there for spring break. When they were being used, folks seemed to have driven over there. It wouldn't be easy to carry charcoal, food, etc. over there. There is an underpass under the road, so it is a safe walk, but it is kind of far.

hmmm.. sounds like an adventure! lol! Glad dh has decided to do the grilling! Also a pretty good idea, it seems, to grill all the food at once and just reheat it so we don't have to make that trip more than once! Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter