The 2009 Vero Beach Adoration and INFO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for sharing Bob! Especially the photos! They are FANTASTIC!!! :thumbsup2

We'll be down in 24 days & can't wait!!! :goodvibes

Photobob - great pics...hoping for such a great view this summer whenever we try out VB in our OVIR too!! (BTW, my DH has that exact same WL t-shirt!:thumbsup2) I am getting excited to go already & I still have over 2 months to go! Sorry to hear about your recent paycut...DH's company did cuts a couple of months ago too + raised our insurance costs...it hurts where it counts for sure!!

Backyardponder - I am so jealous of your big pond!! Pics please!!! I have a tiny little garden pond that I dug out myself...it's only about 300 gallons (I got tired of digging!:rotfl:). I used the Ortho "how to" book which was co-written by one of the owners of Lilypons (my local pond supplier). Being smaller I think takes more work (cleaning) than a larger pond and I have constant problems with my waterfall (leaks) now that the rocks have settled over the years.:sad2: My pump is pretty small & I run 2 filters (1 pre-filter on the pump and 1 Fish Mate pressurized one with a UV light). I tend to over plant it 'cuz I love the water plants...I have only 3 fish left...they are just like pets, very friendly & come up to eat out of my hands...my pride & joy is a butterfly koi...he is BEAUTIFUL (about probably 14" now). He's grown so much in the 5 years or so that I've had him. Besides him I only have a Japanese Fantail & a Shubunkin...I would like another Shubunkin 'cuz they're so colorful but am afraid of over populating for the pond size now that Mr. Koi has grown so big... Hey! Have you ever heard of a thing called a Water Wych??? I SWEAR by these things. They help control the string algae but they don't help with the algae buildup on my waterfall. For that I use this Algae Off granular stuff by Crystal Clear....

OK, next subject...can't wait to participate in the VB chair swap...I also think the whole ban on swaps was just silly... Now everybody will have to go out to Walmart & buy their own...:sad2: What a shame (waste).

Is there any other bug product BESIDES the Skin So Soft that works for these bugs?? I don't like how that stuff feels...:scared:

Hi there :)

Hopping on to this thread to ask what the internet access/wireless situation is at Vero Beach these days.

I was there last November, and they mentioned wireless for all the rooms "in the future" but I haven't heard when that "future" was going to be.

Any updates would be appreciated :)

Hi there :)

Hopping on to this thread to ask what the internet access/wireless situation is at Vero Beach these days.

I was there last November, and they mentioned wireless for all the rooms "in the future" but I haven't heard when that "future" was going to be.

Any updates would be appreciated :)

Typing wirelessly to you from my villa now!

Typing wirelessly to you from my villa now!

WOOT!! :) That has made my day. The only deterrant to another long weekend there in November, was the lack of wireless... I can now convince someone that he wants to go back :)

Thanks!

Hey, all! Went to Squidlips last night and had a great meal. DW had Mahi basket and said it was terrific, DD had crab-lobster cake and like it very much while DDBF and I had all you can eat fried shrimp and boy did we eat some big plump and delicious jumbo shrimp. I've eaten shrimp many times at many places and this was among the best if not the best I've had. We ate too much, but it was really good. We were there for happy hour too, $1.25 for domestic draft:thumbsup2

Woke up this morning to such a beautiful sunset That even though I wanted to go back to sleep the photographer in me made get up and take some photos, you'll be glad I did. I actually did a photo shoot this morning. Texansue corresponded with me and had me do some family portraits of her and family. Wonderful people with three beautiful little boys 8, 5 and 2. We headed to the beach after the shoot and stayed there until hunger brought us back to the room. I just finished a short nap and am heading to the beach shortly. More later.

Lobby
lobby.jpg

walkway to beach
walkway.jpg

pool at night
poolatnight.jpg

Last and certainly not least. How is this for a good morning!
tuessunrise.jpg

Photobob you are just whipping me into a frenzy with these photos:lmao:
I am such a lover of sunsets & sunrises. That last photo is stunning:thumbsup2

I really can't wait to be there with my camera.

Photobob....boy are u talented.....beautiful photos..........what a great addition to this thread !

Maria

Photobob....boy are u talented.....beautiful photos..........what a great addition to this thread !

Maria

Thanks Maria, you are very kind. Photography is what I do for a living and I do enjoy making photos that make others smile. These are making me smile too!

I wanted to add another thank you for the chair/umbrella swap. We love the chairs and may invest in some like those at a later date.

Peter Rabbit says hello!
peterrabbit.jpg

Photobob, I have a question.

At what time do I need to get up to catch the sunrise please?

I suspect my first morning will be my best chance as the time difference catches up with me. :upsidedowWe are 7 hours further on in Scotland.

Photobob, I have a question.

At what time do I need to get up to catch the sunrise please?

I suspect my first morning will be my best chance as the time difference catches up with me. :upsidedowWe are 7 hours further on in Scotland.

When I woke up this morning, I looked out to see the sun just starting to peak above the horizon and it was 6:25 a.m. local.

Backyardponder - I am so jealous of your big pond!! Pics please!!! I have a tiny little garden pond that I dug out myself...it's only about 300 gallons (I got tired of digging!:rotfl:). I used the Ortho "how to" book which was co-written by one of the owners of Lilypons (my local pond supplier). Being smaller I think takes more work (cleaning) than a larger pond and I have constant problems with my waterfall (leaks) now that the rocks have settled over the years.:sad2: My pump is pretty small & I run 2 filters (1 pre-filter on the pump and 1 Fish Mate pressurized one with a UV light). I tend to over plant it 'cuz I love the water plants...I have only 3 fish left...they are just like pets, very friendly & come up to eat out of my hands...my pride & joy is a butterfly koi...he is BEAUTIFUL (about probably 14" now). He's grown so much in the 5 years or so that I've had him. Besides him I only have a Japanese Fantail & a Shubunkin...I would like another Shubunkin 'cuz they're so colorful but am afraid of over populating for the pond size now that Mr. Koi has grown so big... Hey! Have you ever heard of a thing called a Water Wych??? I SWEAR by these things. They help control the string algae but they don't help with the algae buildup on my waterfall. For that I use this Algae Off granular stuff by Crystal Clear....

QUOTE]

Hi Annie, Unlike photobob, I'm not a great photo taker and don't have any current photos to post. I don't have an algae problem due to shade and very heavy filtration. My water circulates through my filters about once every 45 minutes. Other than using sodium thiosulfate to remove chlorine, I do not add anything to my water. I looked up the Water Wych. Looks interesting, but I don't need it.

Have you ever heard of the Mid Atlantic Koi Club (www.makc.com) They are a large club with the Central Chapter serving, I believe, your area. If you ever decide to expand they would be a good place to network.

John

Hi Annie, Unlike photobob, I'm not a great photo taker and don't have any current photos to post. I don't have an algae problem due to shade and very heavy filtration. My water circulates through my filters about once every 45 minutes. Other than using sodium thiosulfate to remove chlorine, I do not add anything to my water. I looked up the Water Wych. Looks interesting, but I don't need it.

Have you ever heard of the Mid Atlantic Koi Club (www.makc.com) They are a large club with the Central Chapter serving, I believe, your area. If you ever decide to expand they would be a good place to network.

John

Lucky you not having an algae problem...my pond has full sun all day until about probably 3-4:00...until the plants grow & start covering the surface the sun creates a lot of the stuff...

This is an old pic of Mr. Koi and friends from 2 or 3 yrs. ago. He's much bigger now.
ry%3D400

And a couple other old pics from a couple years ago. I also don't have any current pics...
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

:rotfl: My pond is so small (I truely am jealous of yours). You can tell how badly I over plant it... I just love all the lilies & water plants - I want one of everything! I am not sure I how well planted I am for this year yet. I bought a Red Bog Lily and a Water Poppy but neither have really started growing yet and I am anxious to see how they do. I hope I didn't waste my money. I tried a Black Magic Taro last year that died like right away. I've had good luck with Pickerel Rush and Lizards Tail in the past but just wanted a change...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.:)

Have you found anymore treasures? I brought my metal detector this time, but left with nothing. Onlly to be expected. Guess your last find was about as good as it gets
Not lately except for a tiny reminent of Challenger a couple of weeks ago. Sadly debris still washes up time to time and can be found on the local beaches. The water and visibility has finally gotten a bit better and some of our subcontractors have finally gotten out to search the 1618 San Martin "Green Cabin" Wreck and other 1715 wrecks. You can now usually see a boat anchored a few hundred yards offshore just at the south end of the Disney Beach. That is actually the site of the Green Cabin Wreck and northern scatter trail of what we think is the Santo Cristo de San Roman 1715 "Corrigans Wreck" Imho this part of the Disney Beach to the south about a mile and half is the best place for a vacationer to try their luck on the beach. Also just to the north of Disney is where the large emerald was found by the mother and son. "Golden Sands" It a great spot to find sharks teeth as well. Don't give up. It's just fun to walk the beach and dream isn't it?;)

Sorry if this has been posted already (haven't been on inwhile) but if not here is Boppy's website. They are located next door at Wabasso and another alternative to grab a quick lunch for the beach or room.
http://www.boppysbeachmarket.com/Lunch_Menu.php

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.:)

Not lately except for a tiny reminent of Challenger a couple of weeks ago. Sadly debris still washes up time to time and can be found on the local beaches. The water and visibility has finally gotten a bit better and some of our subcontractors have finally gotten out to search the 1618 San Martin "Green Cabin" Wreck and other 1715 wrecks. You can now usually see a boat anchored a few hundred yards offshore just at the south end of the Disney Beach. That is actually the site of the Green Cabin Wreck and northern scatter trail of what we think is the Santo Cristo de San Roman 1715 "Corrigans Wreck" Imho this part of the Disney Beach to the south about a mile and half is the best place for a vacationer to try their luck on the beach. Also just to the north of Disney is where the large emerald was found by the mother and son. "Golden Sands" It a great spot to find sharks teeth as well. Don't give up. It's just fun to walk the beach and dream isn't it?;)

Sorry if this has been posted already (haven't been on inwhile) but if not here is Boppy's website. They are located next door at Wabasso and another alternative to grab a quick lunch for the beach or room.
http://www.boppysbeachmarket.com/Lunch_Menu.php
Hi Mike! It's been awhile...anyway are you sure this is the SAME Boppy's place as last year? If so, the website is very decieving. Funny it doesn't show what the building looks like in the website. I found this place to be very dirty, like an 'ole stop for boaters before they go out for the day. I did not like the cleanliness of the place, so I did not eat any of the food. Please tell me this is NOT the same place (next door to Orchid Island Pizza before the beach?).

Same here hope all is well. Yea its the same place. Looked pretty clean last week though it is not for everyone since it is a surf scene and locals hangout. No Shirt No shoes No problem.

The Pig n'Whistle English Pub opened up next door to the museum on Indian River Drive Reasonable prices and great lunch,dinner and drink specials.
Stop in and say hello to the ole Git.
http://www.pigandwhistlepub.com/

Photobob! Your pics are just wonderful!! Thanks so much for posting them- hope you continue to have a fantastic vacation, and I can't wait to read about what you did today!:goodvibes I am really looking forward to my first VB visit this fall, with my DH & another couple. It looks absolutely breathtaking there!!:cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter