The 2006 "Mommy & Daddy Want To Drink Alone" WDW Vacation Trip Report

THis is by far the funniest thing I have ever read on the boards. You have inspired my husband and I to try and achieve the level of Disney cocktail magic on out next trip alone. I have to ask where is the rest of the report? Surely you will not leave us hanging?

PRWPMP said:
Tuesday, January 10th, 2006:

Relaxation Day or “WHAT THE HECK…WE’RE ON VACATION”

Then, we see a family being seated not far from our table, and the Dad was wearing sweatpants in such a fashion that left little of his rather bulbous posterior to the imagination, matched with a sporty tank top shirt. Hmmm….in what freakin’ business is that “business casual?”
…“Hey honey, where’s my Leatherman?” “It’s at home dear.” “Damn it….”

Would have loved a plan to fix the sweatpants guy! :rotfl2: Lightpoles I can deal with, they are acceptable. Guys in sweatpants are not!!!!! :sad2:

Enjoying the report!

I am planning a F&W, adults only trip for my 40th (much closer than I care to admit!), and your trip is inspiring me!

"Hmmm...looks like Brer Fox and Brer Bear are causing some commotion down stream...please stay in your boats while we take care of things...your visit to the 2006 "Mommy and Daddy Want To Drink Alone" WDW Vacation Trip Report will continue shortly...

Seriously...I have to be out of town for work tomorrow so I'll be working on the next installment on the plane tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone's kind remarks.

Very funny trip report! I should be packing instead of reading!!

:Pinkbounc Great report!!! Can't wait for the next installment. :Pinkbounc
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

PRWPMP said:
Friday, January 6th, 2006:

Travel Day or “THE WHITE DEATH COMETH…”
The local news was absolutely hilarious. “Don’t let your pets outside for longer than 5 minutes…Keep a slow trickle of water flowing…develop an emergency plan in case the power goes out…keep your shades open during the day and sealed tight at night…” You would think that the White Death was coming. Are you people serious? The forecasted low is supposed to be 35 degrees. That wasn’t even the high temperature in Milwaukee that day. Real cold isn’t until the snot in your nose freezes. I know…not a regular occurrence for Floridians, but come on…

This cracks me up. My wife and I go to the Smoky Mtns in March each year (without the kids, Smoky Mtn Brewery Good.....). All the locals are dressed in winter coats, gloves and stocking caps and we're running around in sweatshirts (and me in shorts) because for us the 40ish degree weather is balmy.

Enjoying the reports greatly. My wife and I take at least one childless trip to WDW each year, usually during the F+W Festival. We've heard the same thing from people who can't understand going to WDW without kids. We just smile and say don't knock it til you've tried it.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2006:

Animal Kingdom Day or “OOPS…WE MUST HAVE GOTTEN SEPARATED”

Off to the Animal Kingdom today. I don’t really have much in my little trip report notebook for this day. That either means it was completely boring and uneventful or it was just a relaxing day. I remember it being quite relaxing, so let’s run with that, shall we?

The day started off ominously as we visited the little gift shop before the gate and right outside of Rainforest. Michelle and I both fell in love with a cool T-shirt/hat combo. It was kind of a retro Mickey with “old school” 50’s Walt Disney World lettering and we hadn’t seen it anywhere else. Of course, they have Michelle’s size, but not mine. Michelle walks up to the counter to pay for her purchase and I politely ask if they have any in a large and the CM rolls her eyes and says she will check in back. Strike One. After returning to exclaim they did not have any more in a size large or extra-large, I asked her if this item was sold anywhere else in the Animal Kingdom. Okay, now I know that this type of request can be accommodated as I had attended a Disney Institute seminar back in 2000 and we toured the Merchandise Division where they showed us the inventory tracking system that allows them to pinpoint merchandise types, quantities, locations, etc. if a guest asks. Unfortunately, this CM chose to just glare at me and then exclaim, <insert snotty voice here> “Well, of course it is…if its here, its MUST be sold somewhere else.” Uh-huh…Strike Two. And, so I ask if she could tell me where this item might be obviously sold, because I really, really want one. <Insert snotty voice here with heavy sigh> “Well, we can’t do that. I mean if we did that, we’d never have time to check anyone out.” Right…Strike Three…and yourrrrrrrreeeeeee OUT!!!! I don’t need that kind of mental abuse this early in the morning. Oh well, its day 6 and this was our first grumpy CM. Michelle and I spent the day answering each other’s questions by starting each answer with, “<SIGH> Well OBVIOUSLY it is…” See, we don’t let idiots get us down. We just laugh at them…and hysterical laughter at that.

We made another rope drop today. This is huge!!! 2 out of 4 rope drops. Back at the .500 mark. “The team has really been focusing on the task at hand and finally playing up to their full potential…getting back to .500 is a big step for this team.” After Mickey, Minnie and the gang wished us a very Disney Day, we walked back to the Safari and started our tour there. Again, we did a bunch of stuff today that we typically don’t do. We walked the forest trails, did the Wonders of Flight show, checked out Ms. DeVine, bought a soda WITHOUT one of those expensive cup toppers on them, and did our typical lazy walk and talk around the park. I have to tell you something. Just walking, hand in hand, through the Animal Kingdom, with no kids…is AWESOME!!! We love, and were missing, our daughter immensely, but this is absolutely wonderful.

We walked past Expedition Everest on our way to DinoLand. Man, this ride is going to be awesome. They were testing the trains as we went past and it looks intense. Can’t wait until our next trip to ride this one. We made our way into DinoLand, through the tacky Chester & Hester Midway area and hopped on Primevil Whirl. Remember Michelle’s hatred of things that spin and move erratically? Yeah…she was close to Hurl Factor Three but managed to keep it down.

After that, we hit Restaurantasaurus for lunch. For some reason, this is one of the few walk-up eateries in all of the World that do not have the traditional “Toppings Bar” with the little machines that spit out ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc. Instead, they have the little portion control packets. We walk by a table where there must have been over 100 of these little packets, all opened, but many unused. You’re thinking table full of teenage kids aren’t you….nope…an obnoxiously loud and rude family with the Dad encouraging his little spawns of Satan into just opening the packets and making a pyramid of them in the middle of the table. Idiot. As we were leaving, I saw some poor CM was trying to clean up the mess. I wanted to help, but my strict code of not working while on vacation wouldn’t let me.

After Dinosaur and the Tree of Life, we had pretty much done everything we wanted to do at Animal Kingdom. When we hit Discovery Island, I decided to check out every single store in my quest for the retro Mickey hat/shirt combo. Our options were just about to run out when Michelle yells from across the Beastly Bazaar that she found them!!! Grabbed a large and ran to the checkout. According to a very, very nice CM, this item was being replaced with a different design so there weren’t many left. On our way out, I was hoping to walk past the shop outside the gates, holding up my new-found t-shirt and hat with my middle finger at this morning’s “ever-so-helpful” CM, but she wasn’t working anymore. Oh well.

So it’s about 2pm and we’ve got the whole day ahead of us. The bar, any bar, was sounding good but we decided instead to head over to EPCOT and ride Soarin’ just one more time. When we got to EPCOT and walked over to the Land Pavilion, the Soarin’ stand-by line showed 20 minutes. Well, hell…we can wait 20 minutes. And so we started walking through the queue and got about 20 feet before hitting the line. This wasn’t good, but what else did we have to do? So we settle in and move about 100 feet in the 20 minutes we were supposed to be on the ride. And then it happened…the thing I had been able to tolerate up until this exact moment…the family line cutters appeared. Oh, you know them. The Dad gets in line, the rest of the family is screwing around somewhere else and probably annoying other people in other ways, and you are deep into the line. The Dad keeps looking back and you just know its going to happen. He starts waving his hand and jumping up and down. The rest of the family is back there somewhere, pushing their way through the line, oblivious to the rules of a respectful society. They all come marching past you like they have a front of the line pass, acting like this is no big deal. And then, your wait becomes 5 additional people longer. <RANT MODE ON> If you don’t have all the freakin’ people in your group together, DO NOT freakin’ get in line, you freakin’ morons!!! <RANT MODE OFF>

See, this is why we should have gone to the bar instead. A nice Cappy & Coke would have smoothed that whole thing over. Anyway, we got on Soarin’ after about an hour and 5 extra person wait and walked briskly back to the Rose & Crown to regain our composure. “Stella for the lady and the biggest Cappy & Coke you can legally serve please.” Mmmm….a big glass full of Cappy goodness.

It was still early so we made our way to Downtown Disney to finish up our shopping. The smell of melting plastic hung heavy in the air as the Debit Card did its magic. Tuckered out after our long day, we retired early to our POP accommodations.

Whew, this is pretty long for an almost blank page in my trip report diary. Oh, and one final note for today…I don’t know if they’d let you get through security with a hip flask so you may want to bring some tools with you so you can “McGyver” one inside the park. I know I sure wish I’d had one in my back pocket during our wait to get on Soarin’…“Hey honey, where’s my Leatherman?” “It’s at home dear.” “Damn it….”

Thursday, January 12th, 2006:

Park Clean-Up Day or “I’VE GOT A POOL AND A POND…THE POND WOULD BE GOOD FOR YOU”

So this was supposed to be the day that we dashed from park to park, hitting all of the rides we skipped or missed along the way. First of all, I think you know us well enough by now that “dashing” isn’t realistic. Secondly, we woke up this morning with the realization that we had pretty much covered everything we wanted to do at EPCOT, Disney Studios and the Animal Kingdom. So, the decision was made to just spend the morning at Magic Kingdom since it was a “Surprise Morning” and then spend the afternoon resort hopping.

Up and at ‘em real early this morning and headed down to get the life-giving coffee from the food court. Through my blurry, sleepy eyes I noticed that the entire food court was packed!!! Whoa…when did all of these people get here? Thankfully, not all of them were destined for the Magic Kingdom and we made it to the gates before rope drop again. I don’t know about you, but I kind of like that opening music at the Magic Kingdom. It’s a kind of surreal experience.

With only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland open, we decided upon Philharmagic to start the day. That is probably the best 3D show Disney has ever done. After that, we did Snow White and Peter Pan because I am an old softy when it comes to the classics. A quick spin on the TTA and Space Mountain brought us to the end of the extra hour so we made our way to the border of Fantasyland and Liberty Square. Whoo…hooo…rope drop number two for the day!!!

What? It’s an hour into the day and no one has done anything stupid yet…you ask? Ahhh, you know me too well don’t you? Yeah, so we all are standing in a line just before the Haunted Mansion, all 50 of us or so, and the rope is down but the CMs are holding us so we can merge with the traffic coming from the hub and can all walk together through Frontierland back to Splash and BTMRR. Everyone is conforming nicely when this family walks right through the mob of people and out onto the empty street. A CM kindly asks the family to get back behind those of us waiting and THEY go into this act of incredulousness. It was astounding to them that THEY, of all people, were being told to wait. It was, after all, 9am and THEY were not to be denied. As we could hear the park opening announcement, THEY continued to whine and complain that THEY were being held here with all of the common folk. With the announcement over, we started moving and the family seized their opportunity and took off running. THEY were obviously going to the very first people on some ride, leaving us riff-raff safely in their dust.

But you know what they did? Wait…don’t bother to guess because it is so beyond the comprehension of mere mortal man. They dodged and weaved and pushed people out of the way and ran straight to.....the stockade in the middle of Liberty Square!!! You know, that irresistible photo opportunity thingy that you stick your head and hands through to make it look like you are being held prisoner. Yeah…I know what you're thinking because that’s what I thought too. Do I emit some pheromone that attracts these idiots to me? Or are there just so many of them, that you simply cannot avoid coming into contact? It’s a mystery, wrapped in a riddle…

After Splash, BTMRR, Pirates and the Jungle Cruise, we took a grand circle tour aboard the Walt Disney World Railroad, got off at ToonTown and walked over to Cosmic Rays for a little lunch. The weather was warming up so we ate outside overlooking the castle. Another awesome mental picture for the memory vault. We made our way out of the park and started plotting where to go for our afternoon cocktail.

Since it was so nice out, we decided to take the boat over to Wilderness Lodge. We haven’t been over there in a couple of years and thought it would be nice to just sit in one of those rocking chairs in the lobby. You guessed it, we never got past the pool bar. We soaked in the sun and downed a couple of cocktails. Life is sweet. On our way back through the pool area to the boat dock, we saw a duck come flying in and land in the pool. He was happy and content, but a little miffed at the people splashing about. There’s a thousand acres of lake around the Wilderness Lodge but this duck decides he is going to relax in the pool. You see, this is why I hunt ducks. They are a menace to decent society.

We headed back to POP for a quick nap before our PS/ADR at Planet Hollywood. Our room package included a free meal voucher for one person as long as that one person wanted a Burger Platter or Caesar Salad. I’m never one to pass up a burger, especially if it is free, so we took advantage of the offer. It also came with a voucher for a free gift from Planet Hollywood. I’ve been down this road of life long enough to know that the “free gift” was a keychain and decided to pass. Our server did offer the “incredible beer in the insanely expensive souvenir glass deal” but I, as stated previously, fell for that one on a past trip. Been there, done that, have the glasses.

We ended the day with a Ghiardelli hot fudge for the lady and a chocolate malt for me. Can’t believe that we have to leave tomorrow…sniff…

Oh, and one final note for today…For the love of all that is holy and right in this world, how can women wear high heels to a theme park without massive trauma to their feet? You know, I could easily fix those shoes for you ma’am…“Hey honey, where’s my Leatherman?” “It’s at home dear.” “Damn it….”

PRWPMP.... I was waiting so patiently, knowing that people have lives and was just sitting here waiting for the last couple of installment to your Trip Report...and you did not disappoint again. Thanks so much!! Sounds like you two had a great trip.

Are you going to wrap up the final day? Oh? okay, I'll just wait and be patient!! :teeth:

Friday, January 13th, 2006:

Travel Day and Final Thoughts:

There is nothing more depressing that waking up with the knowledge that in a few short hours, you will be returning to the real world. Since our flight left at 11:45am, the DME bus would be out front to pick us up at 8:45am. I got up earlier than Michelle and trudged down to the food court for the coffee, where again it was jam packed (remind me to avoid Martin Luther King, Jr. Weekend). I took a round-about way back to the room, just trying to soak up the warmth, the palm trees, the green grass, that Disney smell, singing birds, and all of that “Florida” stuff you wish you could bottle and bring home.

The bus was on time, the flight was on time, we picked up the truck where we left it at Four Points Sheraton and headed home. We hugged and kissed the Dame-In-Training. We hugged and kissed the sweetest Golden Retriever in the world. And……I got the flu immediately upon landing in Wisconsin. Gotta love the flu, complete with non-stop coughing, feverish heat followed by uncontrollable shivering, the whole works. If I ever find that one person out of the tens of thousands at DisneyWorld who passed this to me, you’re in BIG trouble!!!

So that’s it. It all has to come to end sometime.

If you remember from the pre-trip report, we had the following goals:

1. Relax - CHECK
2. Take a leisurely pace through the parks - CHECK
3. Take time to sit and people watch more - CHECK
4. Find a new bar every night to sip a few adult beverages before retiring for the evening – DOUBLE CHECK (although we decided that drinking during the day, rather than just the evening, fit better into our schedule)

Looking back, it was possibly the finest, most relaxing trip Michelle and I have ever taken together. Sure, we indulged in a few adult beverages. Okay, maybe more than a few. But usually it was only enough to get that nice relaxed buzz…never fall down sloppy drunk. And sure, we made fun of a few people, mostly the losers in life. Okay, maybe more than a few. But usually, they deserved it for being…well….losers. I only call ‘em as I see ‘em.

Will it be another 6 years before we do it again? God…I hope not!!! Did Allyson’s guilt trip of having her Mommy and Daddy leave her behind bother us? Sure, but we fought through it. In fact, I am going to leverage that guilt by setting a goal for this entire family to return in December 2006.

Sorry it took awhile to get this report finished. I left a lot of you hanging in the middle there and I can’t sleep at night knowing you are out there…frustrated and alone. Hopefully now that this report is complete, you can be at peace and I can get some sleep.

Until next time…

Oh, and one final note for this trip report…I am bringing my freakin’ Leatherman with me next time!!!…“Hey honey, where’s my Leatherman?” “It’s right here dear.” “Oh yeah baby….”

haha. Awesome trip report. I loved it. Glad you two had a good time. Hope you don't forget your Leatherman for next time. haha. Sounds like it sure would have come in handy.

Thanks so much for this trip report! I was just having a sad day today and your report took me right along with you on your vacation - appreciate it!

bravo - bravo

great report - have a cappy on me! :drinking1

great report..hubby and i have let the children and done disney by ourselves before and man..it is a whole different experience when it is just you and your spouse...we had a blast also... :thumbsup2

Thanks for the great report! You just turned my "crappy" day into a "cappy" day!! :thumbsup2

I can't wait to have my share of "adult beverages" next week at WDW! :woohoo: Not to mention making fun of all the "losers" we'll find along the way! :rotfl2: :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter