The 2006 "Mommy & Daddy Want To Drink Alone" WDW Vacation Trip Report

Your report is adding that necessary dose of Disney Magic to my day!

OMG, this has to be THE BEST Trip Report I have ever read!!!!!! AWESOME!!! :cheer2: You make me want to go to WDW sans kids and drink myself silly around the world!!! :Pinkbounc

CAN'T WAIT TO READ MORE!!!!!! :surfweb:

PRWPMP said:
After the musical interlude, we are WALKed back to the RNRC/TOT area despite a whole family RUNning past the CMs and who are ignoring the CMs plea to WALK. We WALK through the turnstiles at RNRC and WALK into the pre-show only to stand right next the family who RAN. Oh…hello…losers…how was the run?

I love it!!!!!! :rotfl2:

Probably one of the funniest trip reports I have ever read! Honestly, I soaked my monitor with Coke (no Cappy :sad2: ) when you quaintly referred to the people who ran for the RNRC as "losers".

I hope you write for a living because it definitely suits you!!

:wave2:

Can't wait for more!

That evil presence called "work" :badpc: continues to thwart my attempts at finishing the trip report. Hoping to get another day or two up tomorrow.

Thanks to all of you for the kind comments. :blush:

Tuesday, January 10th, 2006:

Relaxation Day or “WHAT THE HECK…WE’RE ON VACATION”

Although the Disney Force is strong in this one, I have learned that scheduling at least one day of lounging during a trip is a refreshing break that allows me to relax and experience things on property that we haven’t ever done before. It’s tough to break away, but well worth it. So we decided to sleep in today. You bet…sleeping until the ripe hour of 8am. I am an early to bed, early to rise kind of guy. I live my life more like a fuse than a wick. Burn fast and hot, but not for long.

Our original plan was to head over to Blizzard Beach if the weather was nice since we haven’t been there yet and to just soak up the sun…something rather difficult to do in Wisconsin during the winter months. After some thought however, we decided that maybe it would be more fun to just drift aimlessly and check out some other areas of the WDW property.

So we hopped a bus to the Animal Kingdom and then hopped another bus to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Having heard amazing things about this resort, but never being there ourselves, we decided this would be a good place to start. All I can say is WOW!!! I have normally been able to resist the temptation of staying at a deluxe resort, having a hard time justifying the extra cost since we really aren’t there long enough to enjoy all of the extra amenities. I am definitely re-thinking that now, especially for future Mommy & Daddy only trips.

We were slightly disappointed in the fact that the bar wasn’t open yet. I guess most people don’t think about having a cocktail at 10am. Strange…I know. So we checked out all of the savannah’s and talked to some of the CMs there about the animals and what they eat and stuff like that. We also looked through the gift shop and noticed another important difference between deluxe and value resorts. They have a larger variety of mixer. Michelle was running low on Tonic for her Tanqueray…dangerously low…crisis situation low. POP didn’t have Tonic…just the free mixer (uhh…soda) at the food court. I know I’ve talked a lot about my love of Captain Morgan’s, but you have to assume that every time I mention having a drink, Michelle is either enjoying her favorite beer, Stella Artois or her favorite cocktail, gin and tonic. Oh God…sorry…Tanqueray and Tonic –or- Bombay Sapphire and Tonic. Whew…that was almost a HUGE misstatement. We picked up a liter of tonic and then, doing the mental math of alcohol-to-mix ratios, verifying our calculations on the slide rule, and adding a small safety factor, determined that perhaps two liters would be better.

With the petrifying possibility of running out of Tonic now behind us, we took a bus back to AK and decided to see if we could sneak into Rainforest for lunch. We didn’t have a PS/ADR, which is always risky when thinking about the Rainforest, but were delighted when they were able to seat us right away. We got our menus and the waiter asked us if we wanted anything from the bar. Do we have “LUSH” tattooed to our foreheads? Michelle orders the Cheetah Rita and I order the Mongoose Mai Tai. You know, change things up a bit…keep ‘em guessing. The waiter also asked if we’d like our drinks in a souvenir glass. Now, you will not find a price for these drinks or the souvenir glass on the menu, which is always dangerous. I’ve got two souvenir glasses from Planet Hollywood in my bar to prove that point. This is where things got crazy. I am starting to say, “Thanks but no thanks” when Michelle utters the 6 words no man wants to hear outside of the bedroom…”What the heck, we’re on vacation.” Okay, so I paid $30 for two drinks and two plastic glasses that light up in such a manner that will cause me to have an epileptic seizure every time I drink from one of them. Great, now I have four souvenir glasses in my bar from Orlando-area establishments. Honestly though, I just about re-created the “When Harry Met Sally” scene when I tasted the Mai Tai. Odd for a man, I know, but it was THAT good. Or, I was just THAT thirsty.

After a great, albeit expensive, lunch, we headed back to POP to lounge in the sun. We wanted to make sure we got some tanning and pool time in before we had to “get all gussied up” for our PS/ADR at Yachtsman’s Steakhouse for dinner. The warm sun felt great and the pool was just refreshing enough to cool off and wash away the grime. The lifeguards take their jobs very seriously here. Always pacing…always staring…always looking cool. Have you ever noticed that, no matter how the pool deck chairs are positioned in the morning, they are always askew by the end of the day? Seriously, they are like those solar collection panels, constantly turning to face the sun.

We sipped our drinks and tanned in the sun until our drinks ran out. Because of the new “business casual dress code” policy at the finer Disney dining establishments, we dressed up and plotted a course to the Yacht Club. Always the adventurers, we took a bus to Disney Studios and then hopped a boat to the Yacht Club. The bus arrived when we got in line, the boat arrived when we got in line….ahhh…the secret plan running in the background was working perfectly. Secret plan? You didn’t honestly think I was going to just let it all happen willy-nilly did you? Of course not!!! There has been a secret plan running since we left Green Bay. Running flawlessly I might add, but unbeknownst to anyone. Hey, I’m a freakin’ project manager…its what I do.

So we get to the Yacht Club and they are just opening up. We had a 5:30pm PS/ADR and apparently, that’s when they open. But this concept was beyond this single lady who arrived right behind us. She was given a 5:45pm PS/ADR even though she was dining alone. This was apparently unacceptable to her. She showed up at 5:30pm and went on and on and on about how the restaurant was empty and blah, blah, blah. I think the hostess chicky was a little annoyed because, although the restaurant was pretty empty, she made the lady stand there until 5:45pm.

Cosmopolitan for the lady and Jack & Ginger for me. Again, trying to keep them guessing…don’t want to get into a rut you know. Then, we see a family being seated not far from our table, and the Dad was wearing sweatpants in such a fashion that left little of his rather bulbous posterior to the imagination, matched with a sporty tank top shirt. Hmmm….in what freakin’ business is that “business casual?” The Jack was beginning to course its way through the blood now, so I let that little annoyance melt away. I had one of the best Filet Mignon’s in my entire 37 years of eating meat. It was so good that I guess I didn’t pay attention to what Michelle had to eat.

After dinner we hopped a bus to DD and then another bus to POP. The bus we caught at the Yacht Club also stopped at the Beach Club and the Boardwalk and seemingly the rest of the Greater Orlando Area. Jeez, you’d think these high-falutin’ rich folk would get their own bus. Sucks to be them.

Oh, and one final note for today…for some reason, out of the 50 available deck chairs by the Bowling Pin pool at POP, we picked the one that was constantly in the little sliver of shade given off by one of the light poles. Sure, we could have moved…but that would have been a whole production of getting up, moving, carrying my drink 5 feet…whew. Instead, I devised an entire plan of removing the light pole…“Hey honey, where’s my Leatherman?” “It’s at home dear.” “Damn it….”

I do believe WDW would be totally different after you left had you only had your Leatherman...darn it :teeth:

:thumbsup2 It sure is nice to hear from someone who knows how we feel about the weather up here. I go to GB a lot. We live less then 2 hours away. In fact when I read that you guys flew out of MKe I laughed because we always fly from GRB or MKE even though we live right next to the airport, its soooooo much more cheaper to fly "not from nearby". Anyway, I heard you guys don't have snow on the ground anymore? We have almost a foot still, YUK. Just got back from Monroe and they have none either.

We are going to WDW on the 7th. We also went in August, so I had to talk my DH into it since he thought it was to soon, but now he is so happy we are going. The only problem with going in the winter is I never want to come back to the cold.

Hey did you ever go to Franks Place? We went last month and it was really good.

Talk to you later. :)

I have to tell you that your trip report is absolutely hilarious !
I can't wait for more.
My family and I, (DH, DS, and myself) were there at the same time as you guys, and I agree that on the weekend it got quite cool.
Although I must disagree with your suggestion that Canadians may have been in shorts and T's we weren't and neither were any of the other Canadians we met while we were there.
Actually DH and I were laughing at the people in shorts watching them as they were shivering in the cool weather as that is what the weather was like when we left Toronto.
We also had a good chuckle at the CMS at the gates wearing their wool gloves and hats.
After our trip this year we have decided we need to go back with DS as he has been twice now at the ripe old age of 5, and reading your report makes me want to go tomorrow.
Keep it coming !

PRWPMP said:
Monday, January 9th, 2006:

And then it happened…a damned seagull shat upon me. Since the moddy’s will likely put the little dots over the word $H!T, let’s just call it “sheet.” Yepper, I had been the helpless victim of bird sheet. Right on the top of the hand. Michelle was somewhere between freaking out and laughing hysterically as I tried to find something, anything to wipe off the sheet from my hand. Oh, and one final note for today…thanks to the Imagineers who were able ”

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Oh my achin' lungs. I'm sitting here with my big ole glass of shiraz, just laughing so hard at this. I didn't catch your "pre-amble" at the start where you told us about the "sheet", and so, it hit me as a surprise.... Oh my god was I laughing. Not since a Vettechick tirade have I laughed so hard. So glad that you and your wife had such an awesome time!! :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :jumping1:

PRWPMP said:
SciFi has been one of our favorites for a long, long time. We were seated in the back seat, presumably because we had that look like we were gonna do the nasty at any second.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I usually avoid the trip reports when I am so far between visits but something in yours just called to me :thumbsup2

Keep 'em coming!!! And cheers to ya and to Michelle! I'd love to read her version sometime! :drinking1 :drinking1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter