That's the first time we had to wear a poncho in Disney! A Mar./April '11 TR DONE 9/5

What a great first night! Sometimes the best times at WDW are just relaxing and taking it all in. I'm sure it was nice to get to walk around the resort and just see new things, especially because once the week got into full swing you guys were probably just going, going, going! :thumbsup2

Ahh looking at your pics of OKW from your first night is so relaxing, it makes me want to go to sleep! It's such a tranquil looking resort.

Smores looked like so much fun! Yum!

OKW is so beautiful, I had no idea! The colors are so pretty! :cool1:

Mmmm, s'mores! I don't know how you guys stopped at one! :laughing:

Can't wait to hear about your first park day!

Nice pictures of the resorts....it sure is beautiful there!

S'mores...that reminds of of girl guide camp...how we loved making them! Glad your luggage arrived safe and sound and cannot wait to hear about your first park day:cool1:

Thanks!

I'm hopefully going to do the first park update today. It's always so fun to relive the first day! :goodvibes

Old Key West looks beautiful!

Awesome making smores on the beach is tons of fun!

Can't wait to hear about MK!

It was cool making the smores. I could've eaten a ton of them. LOL.

I want some smore's now! What a great way to start your first day. :thumbsup2

LOL, I could go for one right now too. So good.

nice update!!! I think all the resorts should have a fridge in them. I don't think it would cost an arm and a leg and would be a great perk for all families! Looks like you had a good first night! I'm impatient about the luggage too, don't they know you just have to unpack like asap!!!?? lol

Yeah, I was thinking when they said it takes up to 3 hours to deliver it would be 3 hours from when you land. But when I talked to my dad he said it's like when you arrive at ME? I don't know. Atleast we got it. haha

Jumping in!

Great TR so far! I was looking at OKW recently on AllEars and I don't think there pictures did it justice. It looks so nice. One of the resorts I must stay at :) I can't wait to hear about all your fun at the parks and Port Orleans. I've always wanted to stay at Port Orleans so it'd be nice to hear your thoughts about the place from the exterior.

Can't wait for your next update! I'm subbing this thread now. :goodvibes

Welcome! Thanks for joining in. I also commented on your TR. :thumbsup2

Stay tuned more more!

Mmmmm smores....I love how they have activities like that at the resorts!

OKW is so beautiful!

Me too, though we really never get to participate in them since we're always in the parks!

Not lurking....jumping on board!:cool1:

YEAH, welcome!

I love the activities the different resorts offer. Campfires and smores are always fun!

OKW looks beautiful! We thought of staying there next month but it was booked so we went with SSR. Through your TR I get to enjoy it vicariously :goodvibes

Wow, really? That seems so surprising that it was booked since it's so big! It seemed to dead when we were there. But SSR is awesome too. Gotta love our "home resort!" :goodvibes I sure hope you take lots of pictures. ;)

Your pictures of Old Key West are so pretty! I hope someday I get the chance to stay there, it looks so peaceful and relaxing.
The smores looked like a lot of fun too:goodvibes I love the Consersvation Hero pins! I have about 4 of them now, but the one you got is pretty!

Hopefully you can get to OKW some day. It is a nice resort and it's great getting to try different places.

I like the pins too! And they are relatively cheap souvenirs, plus the money goes to a good cause. :thumbsup2

What a great first night! Sometimes the best times at WDW are just relaxing and taking it all in. I'm sure it was nice to get to walk around the resort and just see new things, especially because once the week got into full swing you guys were probably just going, going, going! :thumbsup2

That is so true, Kristen, even with the rain we were going nonstop! There was one day we were out for park opening and didn't even go back to our resort! :eek:

Ahh looking at your pics of OKW from your first night is so relaxing, it makes me want to go to sleep! It's such a tranquil looking resort.

Smores looked like so much fun! Yum!

LOL! I wish I could go to sleep in one of those beds. Aww I miss it there.

OKW is so beautiful, I had no idea! The colors are so pretty! :cool1:

Mmmm, s'mores! I don't know how you guys stopped at one! :laughing:

Can't wait to hear about your first park day!

It really is beautiful. In a way it reminds me of Saratoga Springs with the light colors and just how it's so spread out.

Yeah, we easily could've made more (some of the kids were) but I didn't want to seem too greedy. LOL.

Happy Sunday DIS friends! Hope everyone had a good day. It was really nice here (into the 70s!)...a perfect day for baseball. We went to our first Brewer game of the season (well, Claire and I did...Dad and Emma were there for the home opener too) and got to see an exciting victory. Always nice to beat the Cubs. :thumbsup2 Anyway...

It's time to get into the real start of the trip! Our first full day at the parks!!! YAY!

Sunday, March 27, 2011...Wonderful Feeling, Wonderful Day!
Anyone know where that line comes from? Be sure to watch all the videos in this post if you don't!

So writing the update for the first full day is almost as exciting as the first day itself. When you're there, you've got the thrill of having the whole trip ahead of you. It's just getting started. Kind of the same with a trip report...again, you've got the whole thing ahead of you. Love it. haha

We woke up early Sunday morning to make sure we made it to the Magic Kingdom for 8 am opening (sadly, no 7 am EMH like Dad and I got to experience last April). As I said, there's just something about that first morning that makes you want to just get going! After getting ready and eating our breakfast, we were out the door by 7:00, just to make sure we gave ourselves plenty of time to catch a bus. It was still a little dark outside which added to the excitement. Did I mention how nice it was to be located right across from the bus stop? hehe

We no sooner got to the bus stop and a Magic Kingdom bus pulled up! YEAH! Did we time that or what?! So here it was, just after 7:00, and we were already on the bus. With one other family. That was it. Now, because it was our first time staying at OKW, I wasn't sure exactly how the buses ran from there. I knew there were multiple stops but didn't know if ours would be first or last. Luckily, it was the last one so we were able to get on our way to the Magic Kingdom! :yay::yay: Since it was still pretty early, the traffic was not bad at all. Before long, we were already to the Magic Kingdom area and saw this:
199758_740840617504_20305212_38440303_7545369_n.jpg

Claire and I also played our usual "which monorail will we see first?" game where we try to guess which color monorail we'll see first (I'm sure you figured that out though). We both picked wrong. Boo. But there's something about getting to the MK area that makes you feel like you're really there, seeing all the familiar sights.

Random thought here, and actually my sister's the one who brought it up. You know how on the MK bus (or really any bus) the audio spiels/music always seem to cue up at the exact same time? Like the Mickey Mouse March at the Magic Kingdom. She was wondering if the buses trigger something that start the music? Because it doesn't seem like the drivers do anything. Anyone know? OK, random thought over. Back to the Magic Kingdom.

When we got dropped off, there were not many people there at all. Of course, that might've had something to do with it still being early. Can you read the clock on here? It was only 7:20. LOL! So it took us 15-20 minutes tops to get from OKW to MK. Not bad at all.
207524_740840687364_20305212_38440306_1508114_n.jpg

Oh, PS, the new decorations for the new theme were adorable with those fun pictures.

We ended up going to the turnstiles on the right (we always go to the left!) because Claire wanted to just double check to make sure her ticket transferred alright. The ticket window opened at 7:30 and she was quickly told she had a 6 day park hopper. So no more ticket worries.

A rare picture of the right tunnel as we were waiting for them to open the turnstiles...
199721_740840757224_20305212_38440309_7231257_n.jpg

Where is everyone?
197020_740840807124_20305212_38440312_4193369_n.jpg

We're ready to go in!
100_6928.jpg

When they opened the turnstiles, we thought about staying on the right side but quickly decided it was too weird. So it was back to the left side to watch the opening show. We are creatures of habit I guess.

While we waited, I enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere. I don't know, but there's something about the MK that's so different than the other parks. I always love seeing families taking pictures, consulting guide maps/touring plans to map out their days, and hearing the familiar Disney tunes. So much that I needed to take a video of it.

Yes, nothing beats a Magic Kingdom morning. And then you've got the opening show on top of that! Scoop Sanderson was our Main Street greeter that morning.
207338_740840926884_20305212_38440319_5252211_n.jpg

Soon some of his fellow Main Street citizens came to greet us and say "good morning."
199062_740840976784_20305212_38440322_1157401_n.jpg

I just love these dancers. I've said it before but I kind of want to be one of them! Of course I had to take another video of one of my favorite parts of the show: the steam train coming round the bend! HIP HIP HOORAY!

Do you like how the guy in front of us kind of started bouncing to the music? See, you can't help but get excited when you see the show! So if you've never done it...well, you're missing out is all I'm gonna say. :) And if you have, did you notice how the reference to Toontown was taken out? They used to say something about how Mickey was making his way from Toontown. So sad. :(

Look at all the characters who joined Mickey to help open the park!
206440_740841031674_20305212_38440325_6296394_n.jpg

207613_740891116304_20306951_38441709_7667635_n.jpg

And then the countdown was on to officially open the park. I noticed a woman near us too wiping her eyes as the show went on. It definitely can be emotional! But anyway, we were finally heading into the park and being greeted by all the cast members. I also took another short video as we rounded the corner on Main Street to get our first glimpse of Cinderella Castle.

I'll tell ya, and I know everyone else feels the same way, but that's one walk and one view you can never get sick of!
199417_740841091554_20305212_38440328_4793449_n.jpg

One of the other things I love about getting there for park opening is the announcement/song they play welcoming you to the park and telling you to have a great day. Before our trip, I tried to find a video/download of it online but didn't have much luck. So I took it upon myself to just video it. This is almost as good as the opening show! *NOTE: please don't mind our conversations/constant laughing...I think we were just giddy about being there. LOL*

Yes, it definitely WAS a wonderful feeling and a wonderful day! :goodvibes (does anybody else think it's funny I made some comment about the sun coming right as they're singing "plenty of sunshine heading my way"...that was not intentional of course!). Oh, and here's the castle picture my sister stopped to take:
207917_740892024484_20306951_38441742_2481303_n.jpg

And as you figured out from the video, our first destination was Tomorrowland for, you guessed it, Space Mountain! Even though we were "going really slow" to quote myself from the video :rolleyes: we still go on the ride really quickly. Let's just say it pays to be a party of two. haha We also noticed one of Disney's latest diversions. Right outside Space Mountain they had a meet and greet area with Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Pretty smart thinking because if you want to meet those two with a really short wait...

After Space Mountain we headed over to Buzz Lightyear where we pretty much walked right on. In fact, I suppose if we had really wanted to, we could've ridden in our own star cruisers because there was nobody there! I don't remember our scores but I know I won, thanks to hitting the orange robot's 100,000 point target a couple times. Woot. Sorry Claire.

Because it seemed so uncrowded I wanted to keep on going through Tomorrowland and slowly make our way toward Fantasyland. We ended up going on the Speedway. There was a little bit of a line but nothing too crazy. While we were waiting, I snapped this picture to show the lack of crowds (yes, I know it was still early but if anybody needed proof that getting there for rope drop is worth it, well, here you go).
207442_740841186364_20305212_38440331_7336144_n.jpg

We could also see from the line that the teacups only had people on two teacups. So after our race, it was off to the Mad Tea Party! We were off to a pretty good start but would that continue??? Stay tuned!

I love the opening show too, but my tears start when I see the castle for the first time each trip, and turn to see my little ones looking at it wide-eyed and their mouths in a big o.

You got off to a great start this morning - waiting to read more about it

I :lovestruc this update!! One of my very favorite things in the whole world is the feeling I get at the MK opening when the train arrives and the singing begins! It makes me feel 5 years old again! So needless to say, I loved your video! It really made me excited for our trip!

Anyway, how great that you got a bus quickly and beat the crowd to the park! Can't wait to hear more about your day! :goodvibes

I totally agree with you - that first morning of your first full day is such a great feeling!

I totally get emotional watching the opening MK show (and most Disney shows period). I even got a smidge teary eyed watching your video!

Oh Sarah, this update is making me ache for a Magic Kingdom visit!!

I love the opening show and try to make it for one at least once per trip! :goodvibes

Sarah,
Your morning at MK seemed to be go well, I am sure the crowds will come, but hopefully you were able to do some other attractions quickly. Yes, it is without a doubt the most helpful advise to give anyone going to WDW for the first time. Get there early!
I did go to 6 spring training games, and 3 of this first home stand. On the 5th, 8th and 9th. 2 wins, 1 loss. You saw a great game today, and wasn't the weather beautiful? I thought I might have seen your sister at the game on Friday night, watching batting practice. Was she there?
I went to Bayshore town center, had to go to VB:rolleyes1 and pick up a gift. There are sure some great new patterns and styles. I love your new bag. Didn't really keep up with your PTR, so sorry if I missed that earlier.
I really hope you made it over to POR to see Bob the piano player....

Someone may already have said it, but I remember reading something about the audio spiels being triggered by the GPS on the bus/boat/monorails-same thing with the Magical Express videos. So no, the drivers don't do anything. :goodvibes

I love getting to MK that early! We arrved around that time for our 8am ADR at Crystal Palace, and it was dead. We're the opposite of you, we've only ever entered through the right tunnel.

It pays to be a party of one, also. I got to skip a bunch of people on Space Mountain that way!

I thought I might have seen your sister at the game on Friday night, watching batting practice. Was she there?

She was at Friday's game with a friend (a Cubs fan, no less) and she did say that they went early to see BP. If she was wearing a white Brewer jersey it was probably her.

It's a good thing for her the Brewers won today. We both went to Opening Day and she went Friday. So, coming into today's game the Brewers were 4-2 at home and she was at the two losses. If they had lost again today she would have been banned.

Awesome update! I love how you guys headed to Tomorrowland. Definitely the thing I'd do, its my favorite area of MK. Space Mountain is one of my favs and its the perfect spot for one of the most popular M&Gs! Who'd have thunk? And isn't it amazing just by coming early how less crowded the parks are? I still can't believe it. Though its now saddening to watch that show without the Toontown reference :sad2: Well, I can't wait until another fantastic update! :)

We were there the same morning. We had an 8:05 Crystal Palace ADR with grand plans to go in the park early. Didn't quite work out that way, we were watching the opening show from the security area so we were close! Raced down Main Street (stopping every few feet to take pics) to the restaurant. It was a lovely morning weather-wise, and we really didn't think it was too overly crowded, manageable anyway.

I don't care how many of the other parks I've been to while we're in Disney, when we finally get to Magic Kingdom we finally feel like we're "THERE". the view of the castle just makes me happy.
Great, really great update. I wish I was there. Thanks for making my morning:flower3:

Zip a dee do dah reference :thumbsup2 I have been listening to too much Disney music lately :laughing:

:banana: for bus luck!

I just love that new banner :lovestruc I can't wait to see it for myself!

Sounds like MK was closed down for you two! Very awesome that you had such low crowds!

Can't wait to hear more!

I can't believe how few people were in the Magic Kingdom. I've actually never been to rope drop, since it would require getting up early, which we prefer not to do. Plus, I've always sort of envisioned it extra crowded, with lots of elbowing and pushing while waiting for the rope to drop.

The show does look fun, though. And being able to ride everything without long waits would be great.

Smores around the campfire the night before sounds really fun, too. It is exciting when a TR is just beginning. :yay:

I agree with SoonerGirl, your update had me wishing to be in MK so bad right now even though it's finally a warm day here in NY.

It looked so empty at Magic Kingdom! My sister and I did morning EMH around the same date you did 2 years ago and it was much more crowded. I said never again after that day but I keep hearing people say good things about it on the DIS and after seeing your pics, I'm willing to try it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter