"That's not my stop and I'm almost outta gas!!" Adults only anniversary trip! TR

I loved our adults only trip! We watched almost all of the shows and parades, bought each other treats and surprises, and got on lots of rides ahead of groups when they'd call out "party of 2?!". And people watched and absorbed happiness from dozens of families, haha!

Relax and enjoy!!

I loved our adults only trip! We watched almost all of the shows and parades, bought each other treats and surprises, and got on lots of rides ahead of groups when they'd call out "party of 2?!". And people watched and absorbed happiness from dozens of families, haha!

Relax and enjoy!!

Thank you! I think it will be a really awesome trip! My hubby's first trip ever was when we took our kids for the first time, so as I told him, he didn't get to experience Disneyland the right way! I'm excited to see how it changes his perspective on the parks! And enjoy some adult time as well. He is happy DCA has alcoholic beverages lol

Hello to anyone reading along! We are officially 4 days post trip. One week ago today at this very minute we had just gotten back to our hotel from DCA after WoC. Sad that you are waiting anxiously for your trip and its over so fast! Rewind to one week and a day ago...

My in-laws arrived at our house to watch the kids on Saturday night. We decided to give them our bed since we didn't really have anywhere for them to sleep (we just bought our house in the summer and haven't had many over night visitors yet, so nowhere for anyone extra to really sleep besides the couch). I slept like crap that night and we still had one more night before we left. I think you know where I'm going here.

After maybe getting 3 hours of sleep, we woke up bright and early on Monday morning (3/16) and got our things into the car. We have an airport here in Reno, but to save a nice chunk of change, we decided to fly out of Sacramento, which is about a 2hr drive from us.

Heading out of Reno we hit a tiny bit of traffic and soon were on our way.

This is my tired face. Can you tell?
0.JPG

1.JPG

Bye, bye Nevada. California will be home for the next week.
It's funny though, we are so close to the CA border, but I still like taking pictures of the Welcome to California sign lol.
2.JPG

We made it to the airport with only having to turn around once lol. We thought we missed the exit but really, I think we just didn't reach it yet. Who knows. Luckily, I have GPS on my phone so it only took us about 10min out of the way.

We checked our bags and made it through TSA without any complications. We were starving by this point, so after we found our gate, we went to search for food.

You may see this face a lot. This is Eli's--I'm trying to eat in peace, MUST you keep taking pictures of my food?--sort of face. Ha. He got a stromboli from a pizza counter.
5.JPG

I opted for a burrito, which was awful. There were beans that were not fully cooked, so I had somewhat of a crunchy burrito and it didn't have much flavor.
6.JPG
I ate around it the best I could because I was too hungry to go and wait for them to make me a new one.

Before long, we were boarding. The flight was only about an hour long, so not bad but there was a bit of turbulence. Nothing scary, but I almost didn't get my drink and peanuts! ha.
7.JPG

When we deplaned at LAX, you could immediately feel the heat. Blech. We got our luggage and tried to find our shuttle to the hotel. We didn't wait long, thankfully.

9.JPG

We shared the shuttle with one other group that was being dropped off in Long Beach, and by that time I was just anxious to get to our hotel so I could relax. Our shuttle driver was really nice and we were able to have a really nice conversation with him after the first group of people were dropped off.

Around the corner from our hotel (Super 8), I spotted my first glimpse of the parks, Tower of Terror! Squee!
10.JPG

Check in took only a couple minutes since we had prepaid when we booked through Orbitz. Our room was upstairs, facing the parking garage to the Garden Walk. There were a couple instances where people were really loud in the parking garage, but otherwise we didn't have any issues with our room or location.

11.JPG

It was small but perfect for two people.

12.JPG

...continued

Last edited:
...continued

We were exhausted from not sleeping well and being up so early so we decided to take a nap. I'd say we slept for a good 2 hours! We got up and got ready to head to Downtown Disney!

13.JPG

It seemed busy for a Monday evening, but we trudged through the crowds and made our way to Tortilla Jo's Taqueria for dinner.

Eli had a burrito--notice the "look" haha.
16.JPG
I had a taco salad with carnitas. It was really good and surprisingly filling. We also ordered a side of chips and guacamole.
17.JPG
18.JPG
We took our time eating, which was so nice! We had no kids to worry about and I got to eat an entire meal while it was still hot! What a novelty.

We walked around a little bit and I really wanted beignets and a mint julep. I had a list of snacks I needed to try on this trip! This was one of them. So we shared and it was delicious, but so messy. They serve them in a paper bag with what seemed like a pound of powdered sugar in the bottom. I liked the mint julep more than I thought I would. It was like minty lemonade. Very yummy.

20.JPG

21.JPG
Afterwards we sat and relaxed and eventually got up and did a little window shopping. Our plan for the evening was to go to Trader Sam's for drinks, but I needed to walk around some and make room in my stomach! haha.

Originally I thought that we could have dinner here, too, but we were starving and ate earlier.

22.JPG
When we got there, it wasn't that busy, but we wanted to look over the menu a bit. We ended up waiting a long time before the waitress came back and took our order and our drinks took a bit to get to us, too. I was slightly annoyed but it was worth it because I was really looking forward to coming here.

I'm not a big drinker so I ordered what sounded the fruitiest-a piranha pool: Strawberry Vodka blended with Pineapple Juice, Cream of Coconut, Strawberry Purée and Blue Curaçao
25.JPG

Eli ordered the Krakatoa Punch:reserve and Spiced Rums, Orgeat (Almond) Syrup, Sam's Gorilla Grog and Hibiscus Grenadine. He also got the souvenir mug, which is of a tiki running from lava or something lol. His drink was also one that made special effects in the bar. The room turned red and I think a volcano erupted, I didn't expect it so I didn't pay much attention. At that rate there was a lot of special commotion (lots of Uh-Oa!s being ordered) so I guess I was tuning it out a bit. Oopsie.
24.JPG

When we finished our drinks, I asked for a couple cups of water, which they gave us to go. We went outside and just beyond the bar was the outdoor fireplace with couches, so we sat and listened to the acoustic Hawaiian music that was being played on Trader Sam's outdoor patio area. It was so nice! This was what a no kids vacation was supposed to be like. No rushing, no dealing with tantrums. It was SO nice!

26.JPG
There was such a cool ambiance, I didn't want to leave. We did have to head back to our hotel, though. We had to be up early to get to DCA for rope drop! Stay tuned.

following along!! How wonderful a hot meal must be without having to wait on kids hand and foot:sunny:

Great report! How nice to be able to take your time and enjoy each other's company. Sounds like a great start to the trip. :)

Side question: What did you think of Prime Time shuttle? I've only used Super Shuttle in the past.

It sounds like you two are having a marvelous time. We loved Trader Sam's too! Good for you two taking some couple time, it's very important.

Enjoying your trip report so far :) My husband and I will be leaving for our adults only Anniversary trip this Sunday..can't wait! :) We're also using Prime Time shuttle.

:welcome:

following along!! How wonderful a hot meal must be without having to wait on kids hand and foot:sunny:

So nice! It wasn't until we got back to reality did I realize how much I enjoyed eating each meal while it was still fresh, and not having to share. My son, who is 2.5, comes up to me rubbing his hands together and says, ooh yum! Ooh yum! Haha.

Great report! How nice to be able to take your time and enjoy each other's company. Sounds like a great start to the trip. :)

Side question: What did you think of Prime Time shuttle? I've only used Super Shuttle in the past.

We were pleased with their service! In all honesty, I chose them because they were the cheapest but I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. As you can see in my pic above, at the airport they have a podium with all the reservations listed and are very efficient. Our pickup time changed (from hotel to airport) and I got a call, a text and an email letting me know that they would be there 15min earlier.

It sounds like you two are having a marvelous time. We loved Trader Sam's too! Good for you two taking some couple time, it's very important.

Thank you! It was much needed and even though I missed my kiddos, I'm glad we went!

Enjoying your trip report so far :) My husband and I will be leaving for our adults only Anniversary trip this Sunday..can't wait! :) We're also using Prime Time shuttle.

Exciting! I hope you both have a great time! Don't forget to ask for happy anniversary buttons!

It's been a month since I last posted because life always gets in the way! Sickies floating around our family. Anyone with kids knows it's the gift that keeps on giving! Luckily we're all better now, so on with the show!

Our first park day was at DCA! Finally!!
IMG_3916.JPG
SAM_1257.JPG

I had a game plan for this morning. We had not ridden any Cars Land rides on our last trip! :eek: Since we were kidless, I was gonna make sure we made up for it!

My plan was to go right to Radiator Springs Racers and ride stand-by, then on our way out (heading to Toy Story Midway Mania next) we would grab a fast pass to ride RSR again.

We weren't that far back in the crowd but by the time we got to the line, it had already reached Flo's!
SAM_1270.JPG

SAM_1273.JPG

SAM_1277.JPG

This was our top priority of the day, so we just hung out in line. It seemed to move at a decent pace. Of course we weren't in the queue yet, so what did we know lol.

SAM_1282.JPG

SAM_1284.JPG

SAM_1283.JPG

continued...

...continued

I was excited that we were finally going to ride RSR. I had seen some ride videos but Eli didn't know what to expect.

SAM_1286.JPG

We chatted and people watched through the line and before long it was our turn!

IMG_3917.JPG
SAM_1289.JPG

SAM_1293.JPG

SAM_1294.JPG
Youtube videos do not do this ride justice at all. It was AWESOME. We walked away grinning from ear to ear. My son is 2 and he loves Cars so we watch the movie allllll the time. It has become one of my favorites, too, and this made it absolutely come to life! So awesome. I was stoked that this was the very first ride of the trip!

IMG_3920.JPG
Next, we grabbed FPs to ride again later and were heading to *gasp* yet another ride I had never ridden! TSMM. Are you shocked? You should be. Although anyone that has walked by that ride when the line is 45min long will know why I've never ridden it, which is why I made sure it was ride #2 of the day.

SAM_1296.JPG

Isn't this the best view? It's DCA's version of seeing the castle for the first time at DL. What's better than a big smiling Mickey face?

SAM_1297.JPG

SAM_1298.JPG
(I apologize for the sizes of these pictures. My phone and camera took different sizes and then when I resized them, some were still ginormous).

SAM_1302.JPG
Here we go!

SAM_1306.JPG

Gotta love the sexy yellow 3D glasses lol.

Now sadly, this line still took a long time and it was still pretty early in the day. But once again, this is where we planned to be so we were gonna stick it out.

SAM_1308.JPG
SAM_1310.JPG
Such a fun ride! We laughed the whole way through. My arm felt like it was gonna fall off afterwards, though, definitely a workout! I wish it was easier, like Astro Blasters. Anyway, I lost. I always lose on competition rides. I was further behind than that but "caught up" towards the end. Ha.

IMG_3924.JPG
That is where I will leave you all for now. Stay tuned for some CA screaming...lots and lots of screaming, and maybe a few profanities lol.

Hi, I'm in! Your DH reminds me of mine. We've been married for 23 years this year. We've gone to Disneyland for years based on my love of Disney. I think we both got lucky. I'm enjoying your trip report and look forward to reading more.

Hi, I'm in! Your DH reminds me of mine. We've been married for 23 years this year. We've gone to Disneyland for years based on my love of Disney. I think we both got lucky. I'm enjoying your trip report and look forward to reading more.

Hi, thanks for joining in!
We definitely go because I love it (and now our kids do) and he's just along for the ride. Of course he does have fun but he likes to act like I'm twisting his arm the whole way through! haha.

So much excitement! I am enjoying reading about the planning and then all the fun! My boyfriend and I are headed in September and he is definitely not Disney crazy like me and was a little stubborn when I told him I really wanted to go to DLR after just doing WDW in February - I told him he can plan the next two vacations to make up for it. :P

So much excitement! I am enjoying reading about the planning and then all the fun! My boyfriend and I are headed in September and he is definitely not Disney crazy like me and was a little stubborn when I told him I really wanted to go to DLR after just doing WDW in February - I told him he can plan the next two vacations to make up for it. :P

I am a crazy Disney planner. I just helped my friend plan her trip, they went a few weeks ago, and I made sure to tell her to call me or text me throughout if she needed to know anything haha. Our (aka my) plan is to go back in 2 years when Wizarding World of Harry Potter has opened and (hopefully) died down a bit at Universal in Hollywood. We love HP! So I think he is okay with waiting 2 years even though it's killing me to wait that long!

Stay tuned for an update soon. Life has been a little crazy but I haven't forgetten about my little trip report for anyone still following along!

I'm still here. I understand real life. I re read your last part just now and saw Lightening McQueen and my first thought was Ka-chow!! Yeah, no little ones anymore but, my 21 year old and I both love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter