That's it. I've lost my nerve.

I always respond to posts like these with, 'If I believed every negative review I've read on-line; I would have missed out on some fantastic Disney family vacation memories.'

We have been on a three, four, seven, and 15 night Disney cruise and LOVED every one of them. My wife and I have a four night Dream cruise this winter and we have a seven night cruise with our son for next winter. I can't guarantee that you will like or love it but I think its crazy to cancel just because of other people's experience.

I've read plenty of negative reviews on WDW resort vacations also, we have had great fun at all of them.

Have you completely skipped over reading of all the awards Disney Cruise Line has won from some of the cruise/vacation industry magazines? They have consistently taken first in many of the categories. So if Disney is as dismal as you make it out to be, I would hate to cruise any other cruise line.

I booked this cruise and after-stay at the Poly thinking it would be nice to have someone wait on me for a change. But the more I read about bedbugs, viruses, rude people, poor food quality, poor service, having to get in some sort of beat down just to do laundry, etc. makes me think I'd just be better off sticking with RV trips.

Bedbugs: I've read of a few people who claimed that there were bedbugs but even if they did encounter them (and it's not certain that they really did), it certainly doesn't appear to be a problem. Disney probably errs on the conservative side and fumigates upon reports even if there's no real evidence. I've been to many many hotels and on 8 DCL cruises and never run into it nor known anyone who has. I think that one or two reports has overblown this fear for people.

Viruses: it's always possible to get norovirus or other viruses on cruise ships but it's rare on Disney and they not only are always cleaning but insist that you use hand wipes getting on the ship or into dining rooms. I've never had a problem - at work, yes, I get them all the time but not on a ship as yet.

Rude people: you can encounter these anywhere but I've had the exact opposite experience on Disney. I found people to be very friendly, willing to start conversations, polite, happy, outgoing; we've even kept in touch with dinner mates from previous cruises. It's one of the things I love about Disney.

Poor food quality: food is a very personal choice but I think the food is quite good in the main dining rooms, very good in Palo's and wonderfully amazing in Remy's.

Poor service: I always find it depressing to come home because there is no longer anyone waiting on me hand and foot. The only time I haven't had good service was when I had great service. They're friendly, accommodating, helpful, cheerful.

Laundry: The laundry did seem busy so do yourself a favour and don't do it at all. You're on vacation. Why would you even want to contemplate doing it if it isn't absolutely necessary?

Don't let a few negative comments (which seem magnified on this forum because people generally tell you about negative experiences more than positive) make you think that it's going to be a terrible time. If you don't like it after you try it, don't do it again. Don't let nervousness about a new experience convince you to waste a few hundred dollars by cancelling at this date. Live a little - try something new!

Instead of cancelling, please transfer your deposit into my name. :rolleyes1 My family would love to take another Disney cruise. We would be more then happy to help alleviate your problems! :rotfl2:

Did you have a ghost writer for this story. Its almost as good as lizzard lick towing. C on man.
OH do you work for Carnival.
Bet you watch Monk.

We have cruised four times and have not encountered anything on your list once.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Awe I'm sad that you think it won't be a good time. We just came back from our first Disney cruise. No bed bugs, stellar service, no fighting for laundry and we had to do it several times. We didn't encounter anyone rude. It was an amazing vacation. I hope you'll give it more thought!

:confused3 Oh my!! As you can tell from my ticker, we just got off our cruise on Saturday. Had a WONDERFUL time!! The ship was spotless! I was so impressed with our bathroom, and I AM a clean freak when it comes to hotels and such! And bed bugs? NOT!!! We had the best sleeps ever on the beds! And we loved all the food! There really IS something for everyone! And if laundry isn't your thing? Don't do it! Though we did 2 loads, got in and out quickly and it was fine.
Rude people? Yep, saw those. But I see those everyday, and just try to give grace and go on about my way. They are NOT going to ruin my vacation! And last but not least..poor service? We had unbelievable service!!
Mind you, if I'm looking for problems, I probably would've found them. Yes, I had to ask our stateroom host for more toilet tissue once. Yep, I asked my waiter for fresh strawberries and he couldn't accommodate me...but if that's the worst thing I had, OH MY!!!
I can't even fathom cancelling a cruise and I can't wait to go again! :yay:

If I only took vacations where I was guaranteed to never run into rude people I would never take vacations. :confused3 My family met some lovely people on our first cruise. In fact we're planning to go visit the family we shared a table with at dinner sometime in the Spring. I would have hated to miss out on a wonderful vacation and some fabulous new friends because of a bad trip report or two. But you've got to do what you've got to do I guess. One more free cabin for someone else to enjoy.

We are BIG TIME campers too and have been for years. We have a 5th wheel and love our camping excursions. In fact, we just returned from our annual pilgrimage to Fort Wilderness about 9 days ago. My husband used to prefer to do ALL of our vacations in our camper, while I think one trip per year where we can stay in a nice hotel, have someone take care of things, etc. is more my speed. That being said, we did our first Disney cruise in April (our only other one being on RCCL back in 2011 without our daughter). We had a FANTASTIC time. Hubby loved it so much, in fact, that a week after we got home we booked our second one on the Magic for next May (a week after we got home = no onboard booking perks. Whhhaaaa!!)
I certainly understand where you are coming from in terms of being more comfortable in your space, in your bed, knowing what you have cleaned, etc. However, please don't let that keep you from taking a wonderful trip and trying something new/different. Life is just too short for us to hold ourselves back! The cruise will be relaxing and exciting, and I see that others have given you tips on how to make things a little more comfortable for you...I agree with all of them.
I don't know your circumstances, where you live, how much time you have off, etc...but maybe you could combine the best of both worlds. Take the cruise but instead of staying at Poly, take your camper to Fort Wilderness! They have an overflow parking lot that they may allow you to leave the camper in while you are on your cruise (they used to allow this, not sure if they still do but the port has RV parking so that's an option).
Please don't cancel your cruise. One camper to the other.....you won't regret it I promise! At the end of the day, whichever way you decide, just have a MAGICAL vacation.

We have encountered plenty of rude people at campsites...? Partying all night long etc. RVs and cruises are much more a like to us. We have our "room", eat as much as we want or can, sleep in and relax, our 'excursions' (ATVs, razrs, dunebuggies mud!!) are just as much fun too. The only difference is hiking with our dogs, and you have already mentioned that your family has lost its friend. :(

I love our camping trips. I wish I could get him to haul it more often. But it does NOT replace our cruises. More like the camping gets us by as the in between vacation until the next cruise. Our family comes in for Happy Camping and Cruises. We love them both!

We have encountered plenty of rude people at campsites...? Partying all night long etc. RVs and cruises are much more a like to us. We have our "room", eat as much as we want or can, sleep in and relax, our 'excursions' (ATVs, razrs, dunebuggies mud!!) are just as much fun too. The only difference is hiking with our dogs, and you have already mentioned that your family has lost its friend. :(

I love our camping trips. I wish I could get him to haul it more often. But it does NOT replace our cruises. More like the camping gets us by as the in between vacation until the next cruise. Our family comes in for Happy Camping and Cruises. We love them both!

There certainly are rude campers out there. It's not the norm but we definitely encounter them in our travels!

My in-laws do a ton of camping. We invited them to come on a Disney cruise with us, for 7 nights on the Fantasy. We got back last Saturday. They said that it was the trip of a lifetime, they loved the food, the room, the shows, and they said they would never have taken the trip had we not asked.

We had clean rooms, great food, and a trip that they will never forget. Since you're already paid, why not give it a shot? We've been on 8 Disney cruises, never encountered bed bugs or sickness. Have I occasionally not liked the food? Absolutely, but that happens at local restaurants and at home as well. :)

Have a great time and report back in once you are back, I'd love to hear about it!

Well, I have been to WDW several times and have always had a wonderful time..yes, there have been a few "rude" people, but, I have rude people in my grocery store all the time...our first cruise was sensational!!!!! As you can see that we will be going again next April...I loved waking up, walking to breakfast, eating and leaving our dishes...there is something very special about Disney that they truly "care" for you...we didn't have to wonder about anything and if we did, we asked the closest CM.....don't cancel....remay want to book again before you get off the ship:)

4 years ago, our 4 day cruise on the Wonder was the best vacation we had ever had as a family...

Then, the next year we went on the Dream. Wow.

Then ... the next year we went for a week on the Fantasy. The bar is raised so high - it was absolutely the best vacation we ever had. And we go to WDW like 4 or 5 times a year, and it rained 3 days on our cruise. Still, hands down the best experience ever.

We went last year on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas. While is was nice and fun - didn't compare to any of our Disney experiences.

We look forward to completing our "Grand Slam" and going back on the Magic next spring.

Go on the Disney cruise. You absolutely will not regret it. :)

I hope you tough it out and take your cruise ... just try it ONCE! It took a lot of convincing to get my husband to try since he only equates ships with the big gray military ones! Before 24 hours had passed, he was hooked and believe me, he is NOT an easy sell!

We've crusied with National Geographic as well and while that's a wholly different kind of cruise, it still cannot compare to Disney. My husband and I will be going on Royal Caribbean in January, so we will have a new 'compare,' though I'm probably already FAR too convinced that no one else can compare.

Try it!!!

Deb

The orginal post was written by a person who has been on boards since 2003, a 10 yr vet. 1600 plus post.

Why are you replying it is BS.

The orginal post was written by a person who has been on boards since 2003, a 10 yr vet. 1600 plus post. Why are you replying it is BS.

Because plenty of people are on these boards for WDW and DL, not just cruising?

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter