That's Banana's! MORE Grocery Store Fun...

AKL_Megs

DIS Veteran
It never fails. I can't just go grocery shopping and not have some sort of experience.

Today, it was while I was picking bananas.

They were $0.49 a pound, so everyone and their brother was picking bananas. For whatever reason, the bunches were HUGE... most with 6-8 bananas on them.

I selected a bunch that looked good to me, and reduced the bunch from 8 to 4. I would never use 8 bananas.

A lady came up to me and said, "You really shouldn't do that. You shouldn't break up a bunch."

:confused3 :confused: :confused3

:rotfl:

I don't know anyone who doesn't break up bunches to suit their banana needs. :rolleyes:

Of course, immediately, I thought of the Dis. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I don't know if there is a "golden rule" in regards to this, but unless I could break off the amount I needed very, very carefully, I wouldn't do it.. Why? Because if you aren't extremely careful, it starts to break down the original stem (for lack of a better word) - which then exposes the remaining bananas to air and causes them to rot faster..

Was 49 cents a good deal? The last time I bought them in Aldi's they were 25 cents a pound..:confused3

I would have politely told her to mind her own beeswax... I wonder if she's ever seen how they grow on the tree....

And that is coming from someone who works at a family owned produce stand. We always let people choose their bunches to suit their needs. What next, will we have to buy the whole cow instead of just a steak or a pound of beef?

I always break my bunches if need be!

When people say things to me that don't seem appropriate I just respond with

"did that make you feel better?"

She needs to mind her own bananas!

I don't know if there is a "golden rule" in regards to this, but unless I could break off the amount I needed very, very carefully, I wouldn't do it.. Why? Because if you aren't extremely careful, it starts to break down the original stem (for lack of a better word) - which then exposes the remaining bananas to air and causes them to rot faster..

Was 49 cents a good deal? The last time I bought them in Aldi's they were 25 cents a pound..:confused3

They are 69 cents a lb when they go on sale where I shop

I am always careful when I do it, but I only want 4 bananas at a time, so I always break.

.49lb is our normal price, when it hits .29lb I get extra and freeze for muffins .

I was careful and all, since I didn't want MINE to peel either! :rotfl:

I want to say they were $0.89 last week, and they had crap else for fruit, so the bananas were pretty popular at $0.49.

I always break my bunches if need be!

When people say things to me that don't seem appropriate I just respond with

"did that make you feel better?"

She needs to mind her own bananas!
:rotfl: I need to say that next time.

I had another lady LAST week who, when I put a Diet Coke 12 pack in my cart said, "Pop steals calcium from your body and makes your bones break down, I am just telling you." :headache: Wish I would have had that quip last week! :rolleyes1

I rarely break the bunches up, but only because the stores where I shop have big bunches and little bunches, even singles. I have broken them occasionally, when I only wanted 2 or 3 and there were only big bunches.

I think if the grocery store didn't want people breaking them up, they would bag them, as they do grapes. They used to have boxes of sweet cherries in the summer and people could just pick what they wanted out of them, but the last year or two they have already been bagged and I hate that because they put non-ripe ones in all the bags so you have to take those whether you want them or not. :(

Bananas here are usually 59cents/pound, one store has them 3 lbs. for $1 all the time.

It wouldn't have ever occurred to me to break up the bunches. I don't know why, it just wouldn't.

But your post made me think, I saw some mini bananas at Walmart today! They were so cute, these little bunches of baby sized bananas. I wanted to buy them but they were outrageously expensive!

It wouldn't have ever occurred to me to break up the bunches. I don't know why, it just wouldn't.

But your post made me think, I saw some mini bananas at Walmart today! They were so cute, these little bunches of baby sized bananas. I wanted to buy them but they were outrageously expensive!
::yes:: I saw those today as well... I wonder how they taste?!?!

I have no problems with breaking them up if I only want a portion of a bunch that looks better than the rest. :thumbsup2

I only take what I need so I never gave it a second thought to break off a few bananas from a big bunch.:confused3 I didn't know banana protocol, I guess:goodvibes Of course, I'm the same person who'll pick thru the pretied bunches of asparagus and put any shriveled, dark or damaged ones aside. I won't pay for bad food. Oh, and bananas have been .49 per lb. in my area for several months.

I had another lady LAST week who, when I put a Diet Coke 12 pack in my cart said, "Pop steals calcium from your body and makes your bones break down, I am just telling you." :headache: Wish I would have had that quip last week! :rolleyes1
Nah. In this case, sure, you start with, "Did that make you feel better?" then go right into "It's okay, I have special calcium-stealing antibodies - but thanks for your concern" ;)

I rarely break the bunches up, but only because the stores where I shop have big bunches and little bunches, even singles. I have broken them occasionally, when I only wanted 2 or 3 and there were only big bunches.

I think if the grocery store didn't want people breaking them up, they would bag them, as they do grapes. They used to have boxes of sweet cherries in the summer and people could just pick what they wanted out of them, but the last year or two they have already been bagged and I hate that because they put non-ripe ones in all the bags so you have to take those whether you want them or not. :(

Bananas here are usually 59cents/pound, one store has them 3 lbs. for $1 all the time.
the grapes and cherries in bags can be split up too. they are usually sold per pound. i've never been to a grocery store that didn't let you break the bags of grapes and cherries, or bunches of bananas. :confused3

mmmmmmm. they are really good! i never liked bananas at all until about 4 years ago when i ate those mini bananas and got hooked. now i can eat regular bananas too.

the grapes and cherries in bags can be split up too. they are usually sold per pound. i've never been to a grocery store that didn't let you break the bags of grapes and cherries, or bunches of bananas. :confused3

So if the cherries are in bags, and there are several that aren't "ripe" yet, it's okay that I reach in, take those out, and put them where? In another bag so someone else has to deal with them?

I just think that if they are already bagged up, that means you don't alter the bags. If they want you to take only what you want, then why are they pre-bagged? Why not just have them in boxes on the produce rack, with bags right beside them?

i worked in the produce dept. at a grocery store for 5 years. not only did we not stop a customer from breaking bags of grapes and cherries or bunches of bananas, but we told them they could do it. you either put the grapes/cherries you don't want in another package, or get a produce bag and put what you want in that one and leave the rest. it's not just ok to do it, it's expected.

Nah. In this case, sure, you start with, "Did that make you feel better?" then go right into "It's okay, I have special calcium-stealing antibodies - but thanks for your concern" ;)

:rotfl2:you need to be writing everybody's come backs from now on:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter