That Mickey sure is one smart cookie!! May 2011 CBR TR (update 08/13)

There actually is a trick to changing the color of a link on here. It all has to do with the order that you do it in. The color has to be directly next to the text, with the URL brackets outside of color. If you do it the other way, you get blue.

As far as James' or James's, either way is considered correct. I've heard that James's is more common in the UK and James' is more popular in America, but that may or may not be true.

I'm glad to hear you were able to last the trip without yelling or getting mad at each other. Trips are so much more fun when everyone is happy. I hope Maya makes a speedy recovery. I would have been hoping for an antibiotic, too.

Tuesday, May 10th

It's finally here!!!

The alarm was set for 5:45am. But I had been up until 2am, and Chris about 1am. The snooze button is our friend, and we laid in bed until 6.

We got dressed quickly as we had laid everything out the night before. Chris loaded up the car while I got the kids around. Then Chris set out a second set of cat supplies (litter box, food, and water)- while i set the air conditioner, turned on the radio, and set the lights. After quickly checking the list to make sure we packed all the things we had to use that morning, we were out the door at 6:40.

iphonearrivalday6.jpg

Maya in the car on the way to the airport- moving phone pic

We made it to my work by 7 am. I work across the street from the main airport. And also across a taxiway from Fed-Ex. This is what i see from the window in my office!

fedexmem.jpg

(borrowed from google)

We parked there because it is gated, it is free, and I can grab a free shuttle from our neighbors. We called for the airport ride, and after a 2 minute drive we were at the Delta terminal.

MEM.jpg

(picture borrowed from google- our airport isn't the most beautiful place)

The bag carrying idea I'd come up with worked well. Chris took the backpack and the 2 big suitcases, I had the stroller and the 2 carryons. I'm thinking James must have been a but nervous because he let Maya push him. Usually, he makes a scene if Maya even gets close to pushing his shopping cart or stroller.

We went to the kiosk and checked in, then we moved to the counter to check our bags. We were about to jump in the end of a long line at security when a TSA agent came over to us.

I was thinking, great, we aren't even to the scanner and somehow we have already done something wrong. But instead she told us "come on up here- there is a new line opening". Maya said it must be early pixie dust :wizard:

Chris was in charge of putting bags and strollers thru the scanner. I was in charge of getting the electronics and liquids out, and Maya was in charge of alerting us if James tried to do anything but stand there.

It took a minute to get through, but luckily everything we had to pull out was all in one bag. We were allowed to carry James through the metal detectors rather than make him walk in his own. I was quite appreciative of that, because I'm not sure James would have let Chris put him back down at that point. We walked through and no one set it off! I quickly started collecting our things, only to be told by TSA us to take our time so we didn't forget anything. In the past, we have been surrounded by - well, let's just say people who didn't seem to enjoy their jobs. A smile :goodvibes and a friendly word were a welcome change for us!

We found our gate and got settled in some of the few remaining chairs. The luggage was much easier to manage now that we had gotten rid of the two large suitcases.

iphonearrivalday2.jpg

I took James for a diaper change, then walked down to a shop. I wanted the kids to have something to drink for take-off during the ear popping time. I picked out a "morning orange" and a lemonade Vitamin water. Each was 32oz and cost $2.99! The kids were begging for them as soon as I returned. Maya drank just a few sips of hers and saved the rest for the plane.

iphonearrivalday5.jpg

James drank the entire thing while we were waiting for the call for boarding. I wanted to snap a picture of him waiting for the plane- but he clearly showed me what was the only important thing at the moment. (in these blurry phone pics)

iphonearrivalday4.jpg

iphonearrivalday3.jpg

i didn't "fix" his hair this morning. You can really tell how much he needs a haricut

We had about thirty minutes, but passed the time by playing a little game Maya made up. She would guess who was going to Disney, and then I would make up a trip for that person.

"I think the lady in the purple is going to Disney mom"

"I think you are right, see the small Mickey on her luggage. I think she is going to meet her children and grandchildren there. I bet they are staying at the Polynesian for 6 nights. Tonight they are going to watch wishes after having spaghetti at Tony's."

When they called our flight, they began with stroller boarding. Normally, I would ignore this and board as late as possible. But from the look of the gate area, this was going to be a busy flight. We went ahead and jumped in line. After dropping the strollers for gate check, we were seated quickly. Everything was moving steadily and the flight should depart on time.

Every seat was full, but our comedian flight attendant wasn't going to let that slow us down. "Step out of the aisle people. You can change to your assigned seats later. You are doing great. Let's finish boarding and get up on time."

We waited a few minutes at the gate for our turn to taxi. James already wanted out of his seat. He was wiggling around and shouting.

"ok,det's go!"

Soon, we taxied to wait in line for takeoff. it was about that time that i looked at James and realized why he was wiggling. His diaper was leaking. He only had about an hour in that diaper at that point- but he just drank 32 ozs. Nothing I could do at this point. I'd have to wait for the seatbelt sign.

I gave Maya a piece of the key lime pie gum she picked out for the trip and pulled out a pack of Phineas and Ferb gummies for James. He was a bit nervous during the lift, but thankfully curious enough to not let it overcome him.

Finally, we reached 10,000 ft and the seatbelt sign was turned off. I grabbed the diaper bag and we went to the lav to change.

Lesson 1 for toddler airport travel- when you pack extra clothes, pack them in a place where you can access them!

I had three extra outfits and all were packed at the bottom of a large carryon in the overhead bin. Luckily, somehow, he only had a small wet spot on the front of his pants. I figured he would have soaked everything with as long as we were waiting for that seatbelt sign to go off. I decided rather than unpack a suitcase in the middle of an aisle, he could deal with it for the next hour until we landed.

It's very interesting trying to change the diaper of such a large child in such a compact space. Luckily i've become a pro at changing diapers while my child is standing up. But you know those movies where the person in the airplane bathroom leans the wrong way, bumps his head, and then falls out into the cabin with his pants around his knees- well I was certain that would happen to us any minute. Thankfully, it did not, and we made it back to our seats without any events.

Our flight attendants were sweet with the kids. One came by and gave each child a individual twix bar. I opened them up and managed to drop one on the floor :laughing: Another came and gave each of them a wings pin. We muched on our pretzels; before we knew it, we had arrived!

MCO.jpg

(picture borrowed from google)

We landed on time and collected our carryons. The strollers were already in the jet way, and we continued out to the gate area. I looked around at all those waiting for their flights. What a depressing place! I couldn't help but feel sad for those whose trip was coming for an end. They were on their way back to reality, and I was already dreading the day I would be sitting in their seats.

But for now, I had the whole vacation to look forward to. I looked away so they wouldn't be blinded by my smile.

Next: more transportation!

Joining in!

WELCOME!

Thanks for reading along and commenting!

There actually is a trick to changing the color of a link on here. It all has to do with the order that you do it in. The color has to be directly next to the text, with the URL brackets outside of color. If you do it the other way, you get blue.

As far as James' or James's, either way is considered correct. I've heard that James's is more common in the UK and James' is more popular in America, but that may or may not be true.

I'm glad to hear you were able to last the trip without yelling or getting mad at each other. Trips are so much more fun when everyone is happy. I hope Maya makes a speedy recovery. I would have been hoping for an antibiotic, too.

I think that I understand what you mean with the colors. I practiced on my table of contents but I haven't on my signature yet I'm not ready to admit I don't have a ticker.

Thanks for that knowledge on possesive names. I was certain people were looking at that and thinking I'm an idiot. Like my typos and intersting autocorrected phrases aren't enough to laugh at:laughing:

we were happy to be happy too! I think the smaller party helped some. It's always harder to please a large group of people.

Maya was able to enjoy most of the trip thankfully. Thanks for asking about her.

Glad everything went smoothly at the airport and on the plane (aside from the small diaper leak!).

yes, we were too! Things were going so much smoother than the last trip already. Compared to any of the other things that could have gone wrong, the diaper leak was a walk in the park!

Awesome start! I was LoL'ing while reading. :goodvibes

Maya was in charge of alerting us if James tried to do anything but stand there

But you know those movies where the person in the airplane bathroom leans the wrong way, bumps his head, and then falls out into the cabin with his pants around his knees- well I was certain that would happen to us any minute.

:lmao::rotfl2:

Totally can't wait to hear more! popcorn::

(But really, glad that everything has gone smoothly so far!)

Glad to hear everything went pretty smootly on the way there. I was wondering how letting James drink a whole bottom of water would work out for you, glad it wasn't too bad. If I ever have to travel with a toddler I would probably ban any liquid pre boarding or make DH in charge of diaper changing.

My DH took a last minute flight down and he had DD1 with him, he said he felt this warm feeling in his lap. She leaked all though her diaper then spilled his drink. lol! :rotfl: I thnk we had a bad package of diapers since that wasn't her only leakage during the trip. :eek:

And the fun begins!! Your kids are so adorable! I can attest to how tiny the bathrooms are on the plane esp to change a baby - I took my DS17 on his first plane ride when he was almost 2 and still in diapers. He pushed the emergency button unbeknownst to me and just as I was finishing changing him, there was a knock on the door (we used the bathroom in First Class), there was a stewardess and co-pilot outside the door grinning, asking if everything was okay :lmao: I was SO embarrassed!

I can't wait to read more about your trip - you are so organized :thumbsup2 I only have been successful once in following my detailed, printed plans and that was when I went with my ex-DBFF. She was so happy we had some organization on her first trip to WDW.

Awesome start! I was LoL'ing while reading. :goodvibes

:lmao::rotfl2:

Totally can't wait to hear more! popcorn::

(But really, glad that everything has gone smoothly so far!)

Awwee, you are sweet! I think a writer would be a fun occupation. It would be nice to entertain without papperazi or the risk of rehab :lmao:

Glad to hear everything went pretty smootly on the way there. I was wondering how letting James drink a whole bottom of water would work out for you, glad it wasn't too bad. If I ever have to travel with a toddler I would probably ban any liquid pre boarding or make DH in charge of diaper changing.

that's what i should have done; passed him off to DH :rotfl2: That child can down some liquids.

My DH took a last minute flight down and he had DD1 with him, he said he felt this warm feeling in his lap. She leaked all though her diaper then spilled his drink. lol! :rotfl: I thnk we had a bad package of diapers since that wasn't her only leakage during the trip. :eek:

Oh no! I bet he wasn't laughing at the time! i always find the bad diaper when he has fresh sheets! (we may have a spilt drink story this trip too:rolleyes1)

Joining in! Though I missed your PTR.

:welcome:

My PTR is fairly easy to catch up on if you like the extra background info. I didn't do a table of contents, but the schedule and main info are within the first page or two. The rest just talks about shopping:rotfl:

Joining in! Heading back to read!

:welcome:

thanks for reading!

And the fun begins!! Your kids are so adorable! I can attest to how tiny the bathrooms are on the plane esp to change a baby - I took my DS17 on his first plane ride when he was almost 2 and still in diapers. He pushed the emergency button unbeknownst to me and just as I was finishing changing him, there was a knock on the door (we used the bathroom in First Class), there was a stewardess and co-pilot outside the door grinning, asking if everything was okay :lmao: I was SO embarrassed!

I can't wait to read more about your trip - you are so organized :thumbsup2 I only have been successful once in following my detailed, printed plans and that was when I went with my ex-DBFF. She was so happy we had some organization on her first trip to WDW.

Thanks for the compliments! i think my kids are pretty swell too!

I do my best to avoid all public bathrooms, especially those the size of a thimble!

Your story is so funny! i'm sure it wasn't at the time though! I'm sure not too many people knew what was going on

I'm glad i've got you fooled :laughing::laughing: I may have managed to pull some organization around for my trip- but in reality, i am a horrible procrasinator and you could get lost in my house! i have to have some paperwork when i go on vacation. i don't have to follow it, but i have to have it. i guess it gives me a little bit of a feeling of control in an unfamiliar place.

Thanks for reading along!

WELCOME!!

I have to admit- as soon as I got notification of your post, I had to come see what you were talking about. What I meant by that was to take a picture of the kids every morning so that I would have a picture in the day's clothing if they got separated.
When I was on a family trip as a child, my mom and I got separated from my dad and siblings after a parade. It was stressful, and one of the reasons I like to watch the parade in the popular areas. I couldn't imagine how it would feel to be lost alone as a child. I saw the picture tip on here once, and thought it could help if we ever had to have cm's help us find kids.

So to answer your question, although on whiny days I've been tempted to leave them behind a time or too LOL I have never left them behind :)

I get it! Maybe I should put this on my list, since I mean to do this every morning, but usually only actually DO it about half the time!

Sounds like the flight went relatively smoothly...despite the wet pants. Can't wait to hear more!

I am enjoying your TR. Adorable children and the story about James being "ready" is the best. Im excited to read more. We too stayed at CBR

Great update. :thumbsup2

I totally limited what the kids had to drink before we got on the plane and made them take a potty break just before boarding and the both STILL had to get up during the hour and forty five minute flight to potty. Granted, I didn't have to change a diaper in the bathroom, but it's really hard trying to fit a 4 year old and yourself in the bathroom at the same time and still have room to go. :rolleyes:

Great trip report so far, it sounds like you guys had a great time. Your kids are so adorable! I love the game you were playing with your daughter at the airport. I have a tendency to do the same thing in my head :) Can't wait to hear more about the trip. It's interesting to hear about the same day and the same place from other people's perspectives.

Aren't diaper changes on an airplane the worst? Glad the leak wasn't too bad.

I hate being at the airport waiting to go home. Flying into MCO is always so exciting and flying back is always so sad. I think it's slightly less sad when we're driving, since at least there's no happy people whose vacation is just starting right in front of us.

I am enjoying your TR. Adorable children and the story about James being "ready" is the best. Im excited to read more. We too stayed at CBR

WELCOME! Thanks for reading!

James cracks me up everyday. Today he came out of his room with a glitter headband and a toolbox!

I'm curious to see if CNR was everything you thought it would be. It seems to have really mixed reviews.

Great update. :thumbsup2

I totally limited what the kids had to drink before we got on the plane and made them take a potty break just before boarding and the both STILL had to get up during the hour and forty five minute flight to potty. Granted, I didn't have to change a diaper in the bathroom, but it's really hard trying to fit a 4 year old and yourself in the bathroom at the same time and still have room to go. :rolleyes:

Yuck, that bathroom break doesn't sound any better! My dd does that. It doesn't matter when she lasts drinks or how many times she goes to the bathroom- she always has to go in public. It's the worst when we go out to eat. I can't avoid the drink and she usually goes about 3 times a meal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter