That Fantasy can't steal our Magic! March 30, 2012

karajeboo

DISmom by land and by sea!
OK, here we are!!!!! Time to update our roll call with this new thread.....

karajeboo - Kara, Jeff, Ally (11)
LV Disney Fan(atic) - Dany, Joe, Sami (16)
JWBmom - Ginger, Tim, Justin (14), Brooke (5)
kikids - Cindy, Keith, Anabel (12), Eliza (9)
froglady23 - Tammi, Tori (9)
Dylcal - Sheryl, Dylan (17)
brat5063 - DW, DH, DS (8), DD (4)
kgoldenh - Kate, Rex, Addie (13), Stephen (12)
emdowens74 - Emily, Rob, Danielle (5), Darren (3)
nvcruiser - Jenny, Jenny's Mom
CyndiandChris - Cyndi, Chris, Ryan (dd7)
Kettermans - Mike, Karrieanne, Faith (13), Noah (11)
UMTerp - Brenda, Jim, Matthew (17), Ashlyn (14)
khristy68 - Khristy, Mike, AllyKay (11), Linda Dean (MIL)
Im_A_Princess - Brett, Chrissy, Katie (15), Lauren (11)

I'll be back frequently to update! Also check out our FB page and our website for this cruise!

Disney Magic 03302012 Website

Disney Magic 03302012 FB Page!

And away we goooooooo!

Thanks for setting up the new thread, Kara - cute name! While I wish the maiden voyagers on the Fantasy a wonderful time, I'm not at all envious; I'm glad we'll be on our lovely little Magic. :goodvibes

LV Disney Fan(atic) - Dany, DH Joe and DD Sami (16), cabin # 5622

:cool1:

Thanks for setting up the new thread! Kara you just do it all don't you:thumbsup2
Love the title!!!!
Can't wait to set sail on the Magic.:banana:
Ginger, Tim, Justin (14 when we cruise), and Brooke (5 when we cruise)

Cindy, Keith Anabel (12), Eliza (9) cabin 7532.

Hope the Fantasy voyage doesn't get delayed! Unless something has changed, I still show us in two ports together so if she does sail, we'll see plenty of her! I'm still much happier to be on the Magic. Can't wait to work on magnets.

MAGIC
30th Port Canaveral, Florida — 4:00 p.m.
31st Key West, Florida 12:30 p.m. (or 1:00pm) - 9:30 p.m.
1st At Sea
2nd Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 7:15 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
3rd Cozumel, Mexico 9:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. (or 6:15 pm)
4th At Sea
5th Castaway Cay 9:30 a.m. (or 8:45 am) - 4:30 p.m.
6th Port Canaveral, Florida 7:30 a.m.

FANTASY
31st Port Canaveral, Florida — 3:45 p.m.
1st At Sea
2nd Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 10:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
3rd Cozumel, Mexico 9:30 a.m. - 6:15 p.m.
4th Costa Maya, Mexico 7:15 a.m.- 12:30 p.m.
5th At Sea
6th Castaway Cay 9:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
7th Port Canaveral, Florida 7:30 a.m.

Times in () are what my confirmation email said, all other times stated are from the cruise reservation website. Don't know which is more accurate.

Putting the Darden’s of Charlotte, NC back in this game for Disney Magic March 30th 2012 cruise. This will be our first cruise on Disney Magic. We did the Alaska cruise on Disney Wonder June/July and loved the smaller ship as we had been on Disney Dream in April.
Is Disney Magic much different than Disney Wonder? What amazes DH is Disney Magic and Wonder are bigger than the Titanic was and still they are considered small ships. ;)

Hello cruise-mates!

This will be the second cruise for me and DD (9). We cruised with karajeboo and family and our girls became BFFs :rotfl2:, so now we HAVE to go on another cruise.... The torture we go through to keep our children happy:rotfl:

It will be just the girls on this trip (DS started middle school this year and is worried about making up the HW since he wouldn't be off that week).

Thinking/planning/reading about this trip is what is keeping me going. It's nice to have a DOTD :drinking1 at the end of my tunnel of stress :beach:

Kara,
THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR ORGANIZING!!!!

Is Disney Magic much different than Disney Wonder? What amazes DH is Disney Magic and Wonder are bigger than the Titanic was and still they are considered small ships. ;)

The Magic and the Wonder are twins as far as layout and overall look is concerned, but the theming is slightly different and places have different names. For example the Wonder has Triton's restaurant just off the lobby, the Magic has Lumiere's. The Wonder's adult area is called Route 66, the Magic has Beat Street. The upstairs buffet is Topsider's on the Magic, Beach Blanket Buffet on the Wonder. That kind of thing. But they're really very much alike - if you enjoyed the Wonder you'll be happy on the Magic too! :)

As we get closer to the actual cruise, and we get our FE list in order, then I'll add the cabin #s. I think we will be having a big FE this year, if we already have 5 or 6 and we are still over 7 months out! If so, we will split down the middle so nobody has to make gifts for a bazillion people!

Yes, Tammi, Ally cannot stop talking about seeing Tori again!!!! I'm so excited for them to be able to spend another week together!

The Magic and the Wonder are twins as far as layout and overall look is concerned, but the theming is slightly different and places have different names. But they're really very much alike - if you enjoyed the Wonder you'll be happy on the Magic too! :)

Oh we really did enjoy Disney Wonder. We are so excited to be going on Disney Magic in March, just can’t tell ya. DD (will be 9) is very excited and has to curb her enthusiasm all school year until it/the date arrives. :cool1:

The Magic and the Wonder are twins as far as layout and overall look is concerned, but the theming is slightly different and places have different names. For example the Wonder has Triton's restaurant just off the lobby, the Magic has Lumiere's. The Wonder's adult area is called Route 66, the Magic has Beat Street. The upstairs buffet is Topsider's on the Magic, Beach Blanket Buffet on the Wonder. That kind of thing. But they're really very much alike - if you enjoyed the Wonder you'll be happy on the Magic too! :)

We were watching a video of DCL and it showed the Wonder, and really focused on that ship. Captain John (from the Magic) was the captain at the time, and Jeff, Ally and I were all three pointing at the screen yelling, "Captain John!!!!" like he was some big time celebrity who just acknowledged the McSparklesons!!!! :rotfl2: The differences seem so subtle between the two ships (aside from those you mentioned) that it would be fun to try to figure them out.

For instance, the carpet is red on the Magic's staircase, and blue on the Wonder. The statue in front of the lobby restaurant is different, etc.

And for the record,the McSparklesons like to watch youtube videos of different cruises. It helps us get psyched up for the cruise, or to help us plan a cruise.

We know that we are all really nervous about Stingray City after watching those things wrap themselves around people, they are so tame!!!!

And we have been researching our next cruise (non-Disney :scared1:), and I'm even trying to convince Jeff to do an Alaskan or transatlantic for our 15th anniversary next year....... not so sure I'm doing a very good job with that..... :confused3

And for the record,the McSparklesons like to watch youtube videos of different cruises. It helps us get psyched up for the cruise, or to help us plan a cruise.

LOL Mr. Darden does this all day when he is working from home. He even downloads them and puts them on the computer hard drives and watches them on the TV. I come home from work and he and DD are sitting on the couch with their Mickey and Minnie Ear hats on watching videos and the vacation planning videos. So you are not alone. Videos of Aulani are the current favorite for them along with this up coming March 2012 Disney Magic cruise. popcorn:: We can’t get enough.

And we have been researching our next cruise (non-Disney :scared1:), and I'm even trying to convince Jeff to do an Alaskan or transatlantic for our 15th anniversary next year....... not so sure I'm doing a very good job with that..... :confused3

OH MY!!! Keep at him. The Alaska cruise was way more than we had ever expected. The natural beauty of the region was one thing. The excursions were very good and many to choose from. The temperatures were not bad at all to us (NC can get hot in June/July) and any rain just added to the experience. We loved it all and want to do it again without DD. ;)

Thanks for setting up the new thread, Kara - cute name! While I wish the maiden voyagers on the Fantasy a wonderful time, I'm not at all envious; I'm glad we'll be on our lovely little Magic. :goodvibes

LV Disney Fan(atic) - Dany, DH Joe and DD Sami (16), cabin # 5622

:cool1:

Ditto! Great name and thanks for setting up. On this cruise will be me, Sheryl and Dylan (17). This will be cruise number 8 for us, (all on the Magic execept our July trip on the Dream!).:)

Putting the Darden’s of Charlotte, NC back in this game for Disney Magic March 30th 2012 cruise. This will be our first cruise on Disney Magic. We did the Alaska cruise on Disney Wonder June/July and loved the smaller ship as we had been on Disney Dream in April.

How was the Alaska cruise?
I would love to go on a cruise to Alaska, but I can't seem to wrap my head around cruising in the cold- to me a cruise seems tropical.
Plus there is the added expense of getting there!

LOL Mr. Darden does this all day when he is working from home. He even downloads them and puts them on the computer hard drives and watches them on the TV. I come home from work and he and DD are sitting on the couch with their Mickey and Minnie Ear hats on watching videos and the vacation planning videos. So you are not alone. Videos of Aulani are the current favorite for them along with this up coming March 2012 Disney Magic cruise. popcorn:: We can’t get enough.

OH MY!!! Keep at him. The Alaska cruise was way more than we had ever expected. The natural beauty of the region was one thing. The excursions were very good and many to choose from. The temperatures were not bad at all to us (NC can get hot in June/July) and any rain just added to the experience. We loved it all and want to do it again without DD. ;)

We bought a new Mac after our last cruise so I could easily make a vacation movie - so then we got the Apple TV hookup. So we watch all those youtube vids on our TV now.... glad to know there is another pitiful family out there like us! :thumbsup2

And you are right up the road from us!!! We are in Greenville, SC!

What time of year did you do Alaska and how cold was it? We don't do cold very well. In fact, last year, I wore my snuggie ALL DAY long!!! I hate to be cold!

Kara- I am thinking of the cold too- not sure I can handle it being too cold

My sister lives in Hilton Head, SC- we are stopping to stay with her overnight on the way to the cruise- is Greenville far from there?

Kara- I am thinking of the cold too- not sure I can handle it being too cold

My sister lives in Hilton Head, SC- we are stopping to stay with her overnight on the way to the cruise- is Greenville far from there?

We are about 4 hrs from HHI - we pass the exit on our way to the cruise!

How was the Alaska cruise?
I would love to go on a cruise to Alaska, but I can't seem to wrap my head around cruising in the cold- to me a cruise seems tropical.
Plus there is the added expense of getting there!

I'll answer both at the same time.

We bought a new Mac after our last cruise so I could easily make a vacation movie - so then we got the Apple TV hookup. So we watch all those youtube vids on our TV now.... glad to know there is another pitiful family out there like us! :thumbsup2

And you are right up the road from us!!! We are in Greenville, SC!

What time of year did you do Alaska and how cold was it? We don't do cold very well. In fact, last year, I wore my snuggie ALL DAY long!!! I hate to be cold!

We went on the June 28th sailing out of Vancouver. The weather there is overcast most of the time and can rain at any time but not heavy like summer rains at WDW. They don't get much sun they told us.
We took a flight from Charlotte, NC to Chicago with a 3 hour layover, then to Vancouver. The plane flights were an adventure to our DD so it was fun. We left Charlotte, on the Sunday (99+ degrees) before the cruise which was on Tuesday and yes it seemed like a long day. Not too bad though because we arrived around noon Pacific Time. When we walked outside the airport we could hardly believe the weather. That Sunday it was sunny and cool. The locals were in long pants and sweatshirts and we were in shorts. It felt so good for June. The flight back seemed longer because of the time changes. We spent the Monday playing in Stanley Park in Vancouver and that helped us not to be so rushed to get on the ship the next day. We had a room at the Fairmont Waterfront. 20th floor. Get this… Room 2011. The room overlooked the dock where Disney Wonder docks so we watched it as it arrived at 7am. DH thought that was cool.

dsc00503.jpg

Anyways; the cruise. WAS SO WONDERFUL and not because we were on Disney Wonder. We sailed on Tuesday June 28th. The weather was in the 60ies each day and was only “cold” when we were in the Tracy Arm looking at the Glacier. The wind was the issue. We took with us sweatshirts and put on wind breakers over that, light weight gloves and DH had on a sock hat, and we were fine. The crew had coffee and hot chocolate on and below deck each day and that was great. DH isn’t a coffee drinker at all but he had some to warm with and enjoyed it. The scenery will make you forget about the temperatures. It was not really bad at all and the cruise was like any other cruise except cool and with completely different things to do. Lots of kids were in the pool and adults in the hot tubs. The pool water was warm but when one got out… Oh good grief.

DHs video of the White Pass railroad was the sunny day and was spectacular. I could not believe the beauty of the mountains up there. The wild life was incredible. DH stopped using the video camera because he got caught up on the majesty of it all and wanted to just take it all in. It takes a lot to get him to do that. The memories will stick with us for years.

Go… Go do it. Take extra days before and at least one after to get ready and rest after the plane flights. It could be that once-in-a-lifetime trip you will not regret. DO NOT DO IT ON ANY CRUISE LINE BUT DISNEY! Disney contracts with the excursion operators for perks for Disney guests. The Lumber Jack Show was great and they involved the kids where they don’t normally do that.

You really should do it. if Disney didn't have a cruise to Alaska we would never have done it. It does make a difference.

Hi. Thanks for organizing the new thread. This will be our first DCL cruise and we are very excited. It will be me Kelly, DH, DS (8) and DD (4). We are also traveling with friends. I would be interested in joining the FE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter