• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanksgiving week crowds

allstonsmommy

Mouseketeer
I have looked at the crowd calendar but I am looking for personal experiences. How crowded are the parks the week of Thanksgiving?

I have been going that week for last 18 years. It is crowded. Better than Christmas/New Years Week. I no longer go to the parks on Thursday and Friday. I find other things to do those days.

Have fun.

We had a great experience in 2007. Arrived the Friday before thanksgiving. By Wednesday the crowds were rolling in but we had done most of what we wanted to do with park hoppers and emh and we did just fine.

We've been the last 3 years during that week. Earlier in week is better than the end. If you plan right and just go in knowing there's gonna be a crowd it will be ok. Still much better than the Christmas crowd.

Ditto to what everyone else said. Personally, I think it gets a little bit worse every year. I definitely don't suggest it for first timers. DIS vets need to have realistic expectations going in & just enjoy being there for the holiday.

Pretty crowded like the other people said, but if you plan on being at WDW for more than 4 park days and you are willing to arrive at rope drop, you can have a very good time with moderate lines until the early afternoon. At that point, you could focus on some shows or "tour" the resorts.

I recognize that for some families, that week off of work or school is a prime opportunity to enjoy WDW without the crushing heat. We usually have our Thanksgiving meal at EPCOT. They always have a special menu for Thanksgiving day with the classic food choices.

Had a beautiful time in 2010 and yes it was crowded! But, I hear Christmas is much worse. Had Thanksgiving dinner at Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club. They added Turkey and fixings to their buffet. It was delicious. Have a great trip!! :)

We did Thanksgiving week last year for the first time and we are going again this year. I really noticed the crowds starting Tuesday and Wednesday. Thanksgiving Day we went to AK and then had lunch at Cape May and hopped over to MK. We got to MK around 3:30 and most of the crowds were leaving. AK that AM was great! Had Dinoland practically to ourselves! This year eating at Liberty Tree Tavern for Thanksgiving dinner. I think I prefer Cape May for variety, but it is booked and a little harder to get to for us.

I think we may be going during that weekend now. Most likely on Saturday.

I think we have only done that weekend one other time before and it was a little crazy. We spend most of our park time at Epcot though, so its not as crazy as say MK.

We went 3 years ago but left the day before Thanksgiving. It was great weather!! Gets cool in the evening! Loved it. :love:

We are going down this year the whole week and leaving the day after Thanksgiving. Yes, I am giving up going shopping on Black Friday!! I have been down many times during spring break (even one the week of Easter) and I am expecting the crowds to be similar to that.

We don't have dining reservations for Thanksgiving! The family wants to be in the parks and just eat Turkey legs!! LOL!! :goodvibes

Does anyone know if they reach capacity on Thanksgiving day at MK? We are staying on site so I think we will be okay but might want to go back to resort to relax a little in the afternoon and then go back to close it down!! pixiedust:

Our very first trip to DW was Thanksgiving week 2006. I remember thinking at the time that the crowds were no where as bad as I had thought they would be. As others have said the crowds pick up as the week goes on. I would advise to avoid MK thanksgiving day. It took us what seemed like forever to get down Main Street. Our experience at MK may have been better if we had gotten there at rope drop. I am pretty sure it opened at 8am and I don't think we got there until 9:30 or so.

Overall at the worst, I would say the crowds about the same as those in July, but the weather is much cooler.

We are going thanksgiving week again this year. I am glad to hear a few of you have been to Cape May for Thanksgiving Day as that is where the 10 of us are going.

Our very first trip to DW was Thanksgiving week 2006. I remember thinking at the time that the crowds were no where as bad as I had thought they would be. As others have said the crowds pick up as the week goes on. I would advise to avoid MK thanksgiving day. It took us what seemed like forever to get down Main Street. Our experience at MK may have been better if we had gotten there at rope drop. I am pretty sure it opened at 8am and I don't think we got there until 9:30 or so.

Overall at the worst, I would say the crowds about the same as those in July, but the weather is much cooler.

We are going thanksgiving week again this year. I am glad to hear a few of you have been to Cape May for Thanksgiving Day as that is where the 10 of us are going.

I will also be at Cape May for Thanksgiving! I heard its great - typical Thanksgiving food selections, along with a little bit of everything else! I love their standard dinner, so I'm sure it will be great! Enjoy!

Thanksgiving at wdw is not as bad as some msy lead you yo believe.. is it crowded? Yes but not nearly as crowded as the summer vacation months. We've gone thanksgiving week every year for over 12 years. We love that time of year in wdw. An enjoyable time all boils down to common sense. Tg day will be packed we all know this, so we go to dtd instead. Just go and enjoy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter