Thanksgiving in NYC, How much can you do and see in less than 4 days?

Day 4, Nov. 27, 2015

Today was another busy day. We had a few things planned and a few things not officially planned but we were going to try and fit them in.

We stopped off for breakfast again in the conference room. I guess I never took pictures in there, but it was a nice offering and filled us up for the day.

On our drive to New York we discussed seeing Santa. Claire will not see Santa alone. She is too shy and I think she is kind of scared. But…she will do it with Alexis and Abby. Gail said you could make reservations to see Santa at Macy’s so we decided to do that and she made one for us on her phone.

After breakfast we were heading to Macy’s. We decided to take the subway so the girls could have a chance to see how that experience is. Once we met up, I found out that Amanda and Aunt Mary had already left as Amanda wanted to shop.

We bought some subway cards that you put so much money on and then can use that for your subway trips. Geoff showed us how to do it and then headed in. It always gave Gail issues for at least one person when she would scan it and I think it ate up almost all of Abby’s card that first try. After that, we just basically pushed Abby through with another person, as we did pay for her, it just ate her money up.

subway by Jenseib, on Flickr

The subway was just as nasty as I remembered it.

We got on the correct letter train that Geoff instructed us too.

gail22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Except we were going the wrong way and Geoff realized it so we got off and got back on going the right way.

gail23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And the station isn’t too far from Macy’s.

jen42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And also right near the Empire State Building.

jen43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Actually Macy’s is not very far from Times Square and we could have easily walked.

jen45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

First manner of business was to look at the Christmas displays in the windows….which is something I do remember doing from my teen day trips. This year the theme was Peanuts.

jen44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

jen46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

That stinker Claire stuck her foot in this picture on purpose.

macy1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

jen47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

macy2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

jen48 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Looking at the windows is an event in itself. If you are planning a cheaper trip to NYC during the holidays….I suggest stopping off to take a look at the windows.

We then headed inside.

macy3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It really wasn’t too packed for it being Black Friday. We didn’t shop too much today here, but maybe if we come back in the future I will. This store is so big and has so many neat things.

We headed to the floor that had Santa and got in the reservation line. The standby line was pretty long. I am told that Macy’s has more than one Santa and rooms so they can keep the lines moving better.

jen49 by Jenseib, on Flickr

At one point you stop and they take your picture.

jen50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

1831110_1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

1831109_1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I took pictures as we waited in line.

ny2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

ny3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

ny4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

wreath by Jenseib, on Flickr

ny5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

ny6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And then it was our turn to see Santa. Abby was so excited.

jen51 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I only caught the tail end of her whispering what she wanted to Santa.

jen52 by Jenseib, on Flickr

jen53 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire was nervous and wasn’t sure she even wanted to talk to Santa.

santa1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Alexis was a little embarrassed.

ny7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Then we did a group photo. I must say this is the worse photo I have ever seen. They did not even get all of us in (you can only see a corner of my head…I am behind Geoff) nor did they make sure we were arranged so all could be seen. Very disappointing.

1416244_1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The 2nd one was slightly better, but when we later saw them, Gail was fuming and close to asking for a retake.

1416244_2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The one they took on my cell phone was actually the best.

gail24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

After talking with Santa we headed out and Gail and I waited in line to see the pictures and then bought a package. The girl was not really with it (we seem to attract those kind) and explained the package options and Gail and I decided to split a package and get one that included the Santa poses plus the pre-Santa poses. It came with a CD and prints. It would take a bit so some of us moved on and out of that area while Gail waited for the pictures.

We did shop a bit and stopped at Starbucks and then used the restrooms and eventually we all stopped at a café to get a snack and drinks. Of course Aunt Mary went overboard and bought all sorts of food for fear we may all starve to death.

We opened up our picture packet only to have half of it not there. Now Gail was really fuming. We only got the Santa pictures and those were not even the good ones. She went back to get the rest of the package and some went outside to wait, some shopped around and eventually we all met up and headed out…..where we found these 2 having a nice time sitting and relaxing.

jen54 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Something was being filmed there too so they had been sort of watching that.

Amanda and Mary were staying to shop I believe…or doing something else….but they were not with us as we left. Goodbye Macy’s.

macy4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Since the Empire State Building was right down the street and it was something on Rob’s bucket list, we headed there next.

jen55 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The doorman kind of reminded me of Matt Lauer. LOL.

emp1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Abby is a little bit high energy and she took off running ahead of us. LOL. We had to let her know that she had to have a ticket.

There were a few choices but we picked the observation tower choice which was not the very top. To go up there it was more and we figured we would be fine with what we chose as that was the most popular one. You could upgrade later if you wanted to go higher.

We moved through and they took this picture of us before we got in the elevators.

Image-13483408 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Poor Geoff had half his head missing because Claire was right in front of him.

Oh and we also were given headsets to listen too. I had mine on, as did Dad. LOL.

empire4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was quite the maze going through to get to the elevators if I remember right and then you went to a certain floor where they had a bunch of spots set up with info and the headsets would give you more info. After you were done with that then you could line up for the next set of elevators to take you to the observation deck.

empire5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Some of the windows on this floor were actually covered to make it look like you were looking out at the New York skyline from a different time period.

empire9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Of course they talked about King Kong.

empire10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The line for the next set of elevators was kind of long. All of a sudden they announced they opened the stairs and it was only like 10 more floors up. Geoff, Claire, Gail, Abby and I headed for them…..I have NO idea what possessed us to do that.

We started climbing and Geoff would count the floors as we went…but we go to 10 and there were more…and we were already dying. Here we had been counting half floors. It was 2 flights of stairs per floor. OMG! We had to stop and take a break at one point as we all thought we might die. At least we worked off some of the food we had been eating.

Abby had started out running but about half way through she asked to be carried…Um no!

Once we got up there then we looked around. There is an inside area and then you can go outside.

As soon as I walked outside I felt horrible. The whole building was swaying and I felt like I would plunge to my death at any moment. It was so weird. No one else seemed to have this feeling but as it went on, I literally felt like I should be crawling to keep from falling.

I took pictures, and the skyline is gorgeous but I never lost my uneasy feeling.

The Freedom tower in the distance as well as the Statue of Liberty.

jen56 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We were really high up.

empire14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I kept going back inside and taking pictures through the windows as I just felt so uneasy.

empire16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Abby, Claire and Alexis had no issues at all and could have ran around outside…well I think Abby did.

empire19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I got brave and looked up to the top. I had this sensation that I would fall backwards and die. Even looking at this picture gives me that same sensation again.

empire1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Way up there is where you could pay extra to go….glad I didn’t do that!

This skinny building was something we talked about throughout the trip…it’s ugly. I think Brook called it the pencil building because it is so tall and skinny.

empire21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

empire23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

There is a kiosk to upgrade to go to the 102 floor if you decide you want to.

empire24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We took a picture in the mirror.

jen57 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I think Geoff or Gail took this of us. Abby was being silly.

jen58 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I was the only one who had issues with the height and swaying building. Gail and my Dad are both ones who usually do and will not ride many rides at any park because it makes them sick…yet I was the one feeling sick up here.

Once we were done we took the elevator down and in true tourist fashion it emptied us into a gift shop.

jen59 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We did look around and I did buy a couple of ornaments, a magnet, and I think a drink and Claire might have picked something out.

emp2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I also got a call from Skip while we were shopping. It was funny because we were still high up but yet my phone reception was bad and I lost Skip’s call and had to keep calling him back. You would think being so high would make reception better. I guess the building material (concrete?) was the issue though as when I went to the window area it worked better.

After our purchases were made (and I believe Gail bought the digital picture they took of us at the beginning), we took the elevator down and left. On to our next desitination.

This part of your trip is like a day out of my second NYC trip. Except not really :laughing:

We did Macy's and Empire State the same day. It was way before 9/11 and I think I still have the pictures I took of the WTC but most of my film photos are a mess before I started putting albums together around the year 1998. Then I stopped albums by the digital age and now those photos are a worse mess than the film :(

Sorry I went off topic. You guys had crazy photos that day. Liked your bangs showing up in that one! I see the Matt Lauer resemblance in the doorman. You were troopers for making it up the 10 flights of stairs!!!

Thanks for sharing Jen. I do love reading these reports.

We bought some subway cards that you put so much money on and then can use that for your subway trips.

This sounded really good at first. We have something similar in London and we love the concept.

It always gave Gail issues for at least one person when she would scan it and I think it ate up almost all of Abby’s card that first try.

Maybe based on this, we will give this a miss.

First manner of business was to look at the Christmas displays in the windows….which is something I do remember doing from my teen day trips. This year the theme was Peanuts.

I absolutely love those window displays.

It really wasn’t too packed for it being Black Friday.

I had not even made that connection. You were very brave.

Since the Empire State Building was right down the street and it was something on Rob’s bucket list, we headed there next.

This is something that is on my bucket list, too. Not long to go now.

All of a sudden they announced they opened the stairs and it was only like 10 more floors up. Geoff, Claire, Gail, Abby and I headed for them…..I have NO idea what possessed us to do that.

Wow, I am not sure what possessed you either. 10 floors up is a long way.

There is an inside area and then you can go outside.

I think I will pass on the outside area.

The whole building was swaying and I felt like I would plunge to my death at any moment.

That is the kind of sensation I get when exposed to great heights.

Way up there is where you could pay extra to go….glad I didn’t do that!

I think I will pass on this as well. Where you were looks plenty high enough for me.

Corinna

This part of your trip is like a day out of my second NYC trip. Except not really :laughing:We did Macy's and Empire State the same day. It was way before 9/11 and I think I still have the pictures I took of the WTC but most of my film photos are a mess before I started putting albums together around the year 1998. Then I stopped albums by the digital age and now those photos are a worse mess than the film :(

hahaha
On my first trip to NYC we did drive by the WTC but I was young and really it didn't even mean anything to me then.
I have a ton of albums but I don't print as much anymore...but still probably more than the average person. I am running out of room to store albums though.

You guys had crazy photos that day. Liked your bangs showing up in that one! I see the Matt Lauer resemblance in the doorman. You were troopers for making it up the 10 flights of stairs!!!

We did have some funky pictures. I wondered if some of these people actually look through the camera when taking them. That 10 flights was a killer.

This sounded really good at first. We have something similar in London and we love the concept.

It is supposed to work but I am not sure what we were doing wrong. mine always worked as did Claire's but Gail was having issues. She didn't do anything different that I could see.
In the end we had a little bit left on each of our cards. I heard they could be all combined to one card to use later. I just sent them to Brook after I got home since I didn't need them and she could probably use them.

Maybe based on this, we will give this a miss.

I think they normally work well. But just don't put a lot on if you aren't using them much.

I absolutely love those window displays.

They are so neat.

I had not even made that connection. You were very brave.

I found the crowds later in Time Square.

This is something that is on my bucket list, too. Not long to go now.

I am glad we experienced it.

Wow, I am not sure what possessed you either. 10 floors up is a long way.

Yes it is. I am trying to go up and down my house steps more and more each day to get in shape for our upcoming cruise. LOL.

I think I will pass on the outside area.

It's really high up and I didn't expect to feel that way out there.

That is the kind of sensation I get when exposed to great heights.

haha. It was crazy how I felt.

I think I will pass on this as well. Where you were looks plenty high enough for me.

Yep, no need to go up there and really I can't imagine you see a whole lot more from up there.

Next on our agenda was the World Trade Center Memorial. We did not buy tickets ahead of time for the museum. We heard it can take quite a long time to go through and even with tickets the lines can be long so we just wanted to visit the area and save the rest for another trip when we would have more time.

We took the subway there and this station area was much newer and cleaner. Once we went up there was a lot of construction around and we had to maneuver our way over to the site between some buildings.

The Freedom tower.

zero1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

trade by Jenseib, on Flickr

Our girls were not alive when 9/11 happened and really didn’t know a lot about it. I know Claire has seen some of the shows on TV over the years but I don’t think we ever really explained it out to her, so while walking up we gave Alexis and Claire a little history.

freedom1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I am sure it is one of those days we will all remember.

We walked to the memorial pools and took a look.

freedom5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

freedom7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

freedom8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

As you can see, the names of every victim is inscribed along the walls. Many people were leaning on it to see over the side. A man kept coming around and yelling at people that this was a memorial and we were not to touch the walls or lean on them. I totally understand this and people were not doing it to be disrespectful. They wanted to see everything. And I just didn’t understand why there wasn’t a railing of some sort to prevent people from leaning directly on it if they didn’t want people to lean?

freedom9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I tried to take a pano shot but it got a curve in it.

trade1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

freedom2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We walked around and looked at both towers memorials and I peeked in a window of the museum.

freedom10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I could see the tridents but the camera didn’t pick them up.

The line for the museum was INSANE! I heard it was at least a 3 hour wait to get in. I have no clue if this was a walk up line or for those who had tickets and I never did see any other entrance, but since we weren’t going in, I really didn’t look all that hard either.

freedom3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

freedom11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

freedom12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

freedom13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

freedom14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was time to head back to the hotel now. Our day was going by so fast.

freedom15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We freshened up and then it was time to head for our Circleline tour.

We ended up running a little late and so we took some taxis over. I think some went over ahead of us, but I was part of one of the last groups to make it over. Brook was joining us and let me know her and Henry were on their way and would be there soon.

We got in line with the rest of the family and soon I saw Brook and Henry get off the bus and waved them over.

They had everyone take a picture when you got to a certain point in the line, so we all gathered around and Brook didn’t want to get in our family picture and I told her she was more than welcome to be part of our family today.

digitalFile2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We then boarded the boat and it was a pretty big boat, but we wanted to go up top to see. Honestly the way they had chairs set up, it was not ideal for those who want to take pictures. I had thought we would be able to go outside and lean against the rail to take pictures as we wanted but there were chairs out there as well and let’s just say those people out there were not very pleasant if you got in their way for one second.

It was also cooling down and windy out there so it wasn’t comfortable in my opinion to sit out there.

They had a guy on a speaker pointing out everything and explaining it all. He was really hard to hear and I only heard bits and pieces. My mom and dad stayed on the lower level and heard it much better.

We walked around a bit and would come back to our seats off and on.

circle8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I believe this is the Empire State Building.

circle9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I can’t even begin to remember what all the places I took a picture of…some were because I thought they looked neat and some because it was pointed out as something historical or used in a movie.

circle22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And of course I took a ton of Lady Liberty….here is a sneak peek.

circle16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Last edited:
My first trip to NYC was when I believe I was a Junior in High School. My sister Gail and I went with my Aunt Mary, our other Aunt, Laura, and Geoff, who was just Aunt Mary’s best friend at the time. (We would never have imagined back then that they would end up getting married). We drove 2 cars that year and the Statue of Liberty was be refurbished then. We took a ferry across so we could at least see it (with scaffolding all around it) and we meant to park and just ride the ferry but we accidently got in the car line instead of the parking line so our cars took a ride across as well. Back then I just had a film point and shoot camera and we did not get very close so the pictures I took were just horrid and honestly we couldn’t see it very well.

We went 2 more times to NYC and never did make it back to look at the Statue so this would be my first look at her since then. And we got really close and I got some great pictures.

circle1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I couldn’t stop taking pictures. She is so beautiful.

statue1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The guy did say if you wanted to tour the Statue you were out of luck as it is booked through Feb of next year. Wow! Keep that in mind if you want to see her up close and personal while in NYC….she books MONTHS in advance.

We went back in a bit and then went out to take one with Claire and Lady Liberty in the background. We got yelled out by some people because we were blocking their view and they “had arrived early to get a good spot for pictures”. I totally understand, but seriously you are not going to let me shoot 2 or 3 quick pictures of my kid? We moved to a less than ideal spot then and just did our best.

statue2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

tour by Jenseib, on Flickr

This building is in Men in Black and it what they show as the headquarters. I can’t remember what it really is now though.

meninblack by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle31 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The bridges are so beautiful from the water.

circle33 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle34 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And what a gorgeous sunset….well it depended on what angle you looked at as it was still pretty light out but certain angles with the glare showed up so neat on the camera.

circle3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle36 by Jenseib, on Flickr

jen61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle37 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We then went back in and sat for a while and just listened and watched it all go by.

circle4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle38 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle39 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle40 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle41 by Jenseib, on Flickr

You go so far out and then the boat turns around and goes the same route back, which is neat as you now see everything differently as it is getting dark and everything is starting to get lit up.

circle42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Back by the Statue again.

circle6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I loved how the sunset was reflecting on this building.

circle45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Abby was getting goofy.

circle7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Abby isn’t shy and she was talking to Henry a bit too. I think he was in awe at her and all her motion and talking. They seemed to really get along.

circle46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We got back to the dock…which is right by the Intrepid by the way…and I swore I took pictures of that too, but I must not have loaded them….and we waited for it to clear out a bit before we got off.

Once off we got a picture….and yes Abby had to be in it too.

jen62 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Some of the family were going to take a taxi back to the hotel but I said I would like to walk. Brook asked Henry if he wanted to get the bus back to the subway or walk with us and he wanted to walk. Gail and her girls joined us as did Geoff and Amanda…as they were going to go break off and go to a bakery that specializes in baked goods that Amanda can eat with all her allergies.

circle47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Brook said Henry really liked our family….and my family LOVED Henry and we now have Abby and Henry betrothed to each other. LOL.

As we were walking and talking we passed a 7-11. I found it funny for one to be right along the street in NYC. Well Alexis is a gas station food junkie (even though this had no gas). She wanted a slushie so we went in and all the kids got slushies.

I took this picture for Skip as he loves roller dogs.

circle48 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle49 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The kids all tried to get the largest ones but I told Claire she couldn’t have one that big. No one needs one that big. LOL. Evidently slushies are a big hit for Henry too as he was all excited to get one too. I guess I am out of the loop at yummy treats for kids.

We moved on and after a bit we came to Brooks subway. We said goodbyes and it was sad leaving her. I really think Henry wanted to continue on with us if he could. He seemed to be having a good time and we enjoyed both of them. Brook, of course was being a bit of a tour guide as we walked by things too.

circle50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle51 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle52 by Jenseib, on Flickr

As we got right into Times Square I parted ways with Gail. They were going to one store and then she was taking Abby back to the hotel room to be with Rob and then coming back with Alexis to shop. I was going to look at the Toys R Us…which sadly would be closing at the end of the year…and then back to the room to drop off my big camera. We would text and meet up later.

As Claire and I went on we saw the Naked Cowboy. Geoff had told us about him and I guess this guy makes mega money posing for pictures and whatever else he does. Geoff had said he had been out a lot this fall because the weather had been so good.

I was able to get a quick phone picture as we walked by.

nyc21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Oh and Time Square was PACKED!!!! It was hard to walk as there were people everywhere. They even were walking on the street and didn’t seem to care about the traffic.

We made our way to the Toys R US and took a look around. It was huge and a really neat place.

toys by Jenseib, on Flickr

freedom16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

freedom17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

After we left (I think we bought something but I can’t remember what) we headed back to the room to drop stuff off and I took a ton of pictures of Time Square too.

circle53 by Jenseib, on Flickr

circle54 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We then met up with Gail, Amanda and Geoff and shopped. First at the Disney store where we bought a few things, but mostly at Aeropostle as both our girls love that store. They tried things on and we ended up with big bags for both girls. Alexis was taking a bit longer and as we waited I mentioned to Gail that I was getting hungry and we should get dinner next. Amanda suggested the hotel restaurant as that is where she can eat well with her food allergies. I hate to be mean, but I wanted something different and said so. Gail agreed. We then decided on Hard Rock Café. Amanda was sure she couldn’t eat there but we argued that she could at least have a salad there. We finally talked her into joining us.

Claire and I went ahead and put our names in.

circle55 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I think we had a 30 minute wait and we literally laid on the floor with our bags next to us as we were so tired and there were no chairs available.

jen63 by Jenseib, on Flickr

After a bit Gail, Alexis, Amanda and Geoff all joined us.

jen65 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Once we got seated we started talking about the old Hard Rock Café we visited many years ago. I think it was located over near Bloomingdales. We remembered that it had a car sticking out of the building. We then googled what this building used to be and it had been the Paramount theatre, then later leased by the World Wrestling Federation, and became the WWF New York, a themed club and restaurant, which made since, given how it looked inside.

hardrock1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We made our orders, but I don’t even remember what we got, but it was good. I do know Gail got a big drink and a big salad.

She texted a picture to Rob and he got a little mad that we went without him…however, he had volunteered to keep Abby in the room with him and my Mom had said she would take her if he wanted to do something. I guess it is a guy thing…sorry guys….but I think some of us ladies know how it is. Your husband says he will do something and then you have to treat him like a Saint because he did it….usually something you do every day without any thought. LOL. He got over it though. I am sure he was tired after a long busy trip.

Gail took a picture of us and we all did sort of a silly pose.

hardrock by Jenseib, on Flickr

Gail’s big drink came with a glass so after she was done with it she then took her receipt to the store and they gave her a fresh clean one in a box.

We had a good time there and I am glad we decided to go there.

We headed back to our rooms then and it was time to pack up. Tomorrow we had to leave, though we still had some things planned for the morning. I wanted to get everything packed as much as possible so I didn’t have to mess with it tomorrow. I also had to condense the shopping bags to make it easier to put in the Van.

The building was really swaying tonight. It was starting to make me feel sick. It was now to the point that at times when I would walk I would stumble or wobble. I was hoping that a good night’s sleep would take care of that.

The circle tour looks like it was nice. The weather really cooperated and you had nice sunset pictures.

Nice and cute that Abby and Henry got along.

I can see needing a slushie. But you are right that no one needs the big size!

Cool you got into Toys R Us before they closed. I still hear their 80's commercial song at least once a week in my head.

Glad you got to go to Hard Rock to eat. I think when I ate there it was in the location by Bloomingdales but not sure now. Your talking about Gail's glass reminds me I have a couple. I should try to find them. That was my plan this weekend anyway, to go through "stuff".

That is good to know about the museum. I definitely want to visit the memorial, but I was in two minds about the museum. I don't think we will bother.

The guy did say if you wanted to tour the Statue you were out of luck as it is booked through Feb of next year.

It is just as well that we were not planning on visiting. Your boat tour looked very neat though. How nice that everybody got on.

Corinna

The circle tour looks like it was nice. The weather really cooperated and you had nice sunset pictures.

We really lucked out with the weather.

Nice and cute that Abby and Henry got along.

They were so cute together.

I can see needing a slushie. But you are right that no one needs the big size!

I think most slushies are gross, but the kids just love them.

Cool you got into Toys R Us before they closed. I still hear their 80's commercial song at least once a week in my head.

LOL...I want to be a Toys R Us kid!

Glad you got to go to Hard Rock to eat. I think when I ate there it was in the location by Bloomingdales but not sure now. Your talking about Gail's glass reminds me I have a couple. I should try to find them. That was my plan this weekend anyway, to go through "stuff".

Probably. I think this location opened in 2005. You know Skip has a cup from T-Rex too...I wonder where the is.

That is good to know about the museum. I definitely want to visit the memorial, but I was in two minds about the museum. I don't think we will bother.

I am sure it is fabulous but I will for sure get tickets ahead of time if we go. I will do more research on it then too.

It is just as well that we were not planning on visiting. Your boat tour looked very neat though. How nice that everybody got on.

I was amazed it books up that far in advance.

Day 5, Nov. 28, 2015

Our last day. I woke up not feeling well. I really had that motion sickness kind of feeling and a bit dizzy. I rarely get dizzy so it was an odd feeling.

I went outside for air first thing. It was better out there than in the building.

Today we were taking a carriage ride and I was really wondering if I was going to make it. I really felt awful…but I figured since it was outside that would be doable because the air outside definitely made me feel better.

We had packed some snacks and stuff and also had some left overs in our little fridge so I ate some food to help with the feeling.

We then got a taxi and headed over to Central Park. Aunt Mary had made all the plans for this and she gave us the number of our driver…well there were 2, but I think one owned the company, …and where to meet.

We arrived early and stood in the location and waited for our drivers. They have many carriages lined up for people to come and take rides and we were asked several times if we wanted to take a ride and we let them know we had one already scheduled.

Abby loves horses and was so excited to see so many.

jen66 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Our drivers pulled up and we went over to meet our horses.

jen67 by Jenseib, on Flickr

jen68 by Jenseib, on Flickr

jen69 by Jenseib, on Flickr

jen70 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

central1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was very exciting.

cpark4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The other carriage was decorated in purple and Abby had to ride in that one.

jen71 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Gail’s family went in the purple carriage and Claire and I, and Mom and Dad went in the other.

jen72 by Jenseib, on Flickr

jen73 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We strolled around the park and our driver pointed out different things and I took pictures, but I couldn’t even begin to tell you what everything was. I know we saw the Home Alone bridge. He pointed to Jerry Seinfelds apartment building at one time. The building used in the first Ghost Busters and many other movie spots. I will share just some of the pictures that I took.

cpark5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The park was much bigger than I thought it would be.

cpark16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I think this statue is for Balto.

cpark17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Continued…

cpark26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We then came to a stop so we could have pictures taken. Our drivers took our cameras and phones and started snapping away.

central2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And then they took pictures of us as we got back in our carriages.

jen74 by Jenseib, on Flickr

central3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

central4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And off we went again.

cpark36 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark37 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark38 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark39 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark40 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I was feeling really queasy at times, but I kept breathing trying to force it away.

cpark41 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I took a lot more pictures but they are a lot of the same in looks and since I can’t remember what each one is, it’s not so exciting.

We ended right where we started. I think our ride was around 45 minutes. It was very nice and I am glad I went even though I wasn’t feeling well.

We gave a little more love to the horses.

central5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

central6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I guess Claire didn’t want a picture with our horse. LOL.

We decided to walk back. It really isn’t that far and where we had got on and off was near the Apple store, which I had walked from the other night. I wanted to walk to stay in the air.

cpark45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

cpark48 by Jenseib, on Flickr

When we got back to the hotel Mary and Geoff were making an order for lunch from Juniors so I picked out what Claire and I wanted and told them and I went to our room and laid down. I fell sleep for a little bit and felt much better after that little nap.

When lunch arrived I went down to their room (where Claire had been and having some more fun with her cousins and Aunts) and we all ate our lunch and then it was time to head out. We called for the party van to be brought out and our massive amounts of luggage and shopping bags were taken down and we strategically loaded the van.

It was then time to say good bye to NYC! We all crawled in the van for our long ride home. I had gotten so many messages from people on facebook while we were there. Many wanted to know what tour I had taken because they wanted to do the same one when they went. LOL! We just winged it mostly. I had people who live in or near New York City or New Jersey that told me we had done more in our few short days than they had done in their whole life of living there.

There are many more things I would have like to have done, but we did do all the main things and we had a wonderful time.

As we drove, I got the anxiety that I almost always now get when traveling home. I guess all the excitement is draining out and the sitting is just too much for me. Luckily the party van is big and I could stand in my spot to help alleviate that feeling.

Aunt Mary had us play another round of Cash Van using new questions with things we saw or learned while on this trip. The kids were more active in this go around too. And they earned a few more bucks!

We drove to Du Bios, PA and stopped and stayed at a Fairfield Inn and Suites. As we unloaded the van, a bag fell out and glass shattered. It was queso dip I had in a bag and I had packed it in something else, but it must have been pulled out when someone was fishing around back there for something else. Claire made a big deal about it and I told her it was no big deal. I just said OH NO, but more to the fact that glass was all over. I helped picked it up and I guess Rob was at the end of his rope…he did have to spend 5 days with our family after all. LOL…and he was pretty grumpy about it. I assured him that it was no big deal and accidents happen.

There was a Ponderosa in town and we use to love that place to eat, so Dad and I wanted to eat there. The rest wanted to eat somewhere else and the kids stayed back to swim with Rob again. They dropped Dad and I off and the place was practically dead. We ate and it was good, but nowhere as good as it used to be. Once we were done we just sat there and talked for a bit and then I realized we were the only people in there and I asked what time they closed and they said they were now closed. Gosh, we felt bad, so we went outside and waited for the rest of the family to finish up where they were and come back to pick us up.

Again the kids loved having rooms at the same hotel and visiting other rooms. They got to playing a game in one of the other rooms and I went to bed. I still was not feeling 100%. Claire came back late in the night and went to bed then and said she had a fun time.

I got up to use the bathroom at night and basically fell over. I was so dizzy. It was the strangest feeling and I could barely stand upright.

--- ----

Day 6, Nov. 29, 2016.

There was a complimentary breakfast and we all loaded up. It was very good.

We loaded the party van back up one more time and climbed in for the last few hours of the trip. We did stop at a rest stop (on the turnpike) to get gas and use the bathroom and we all decided to get some lunch then too. There were a lot of choices and all the lines were so long. I don’t remember what I got, but Claire got McDonalds which had the longest line of all, but Gail had to wait in it too for Abby.

Once we were all filled up again we headed on the final leg home. We did have to stop and drop off Rob at his work. He went in to check things and then his truck was there so he needed to bring that home.

We then drove to Gail’s house and unpacked the party van one last time. Again, I think Skip had dropped us off before we left, so he either came to pick us up or we went home with my parents….but I am thinking they left immediately so we must have waited for Skip.

Mary and Geoff took back the party van and sent us one last picture of it as a good bye.

jen64 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Of course, once home the laundry was started and I tried to make myself feel better…but I was constantly dizzy and falling over at strange times…especially at night if I got up to go to the bathroom. Finally after a few days Skip said he was taking me to the Dr. as I was really have a hard time functioning. It was so bad I was afraid to even drive. I was diagnosed with Vertigo. The Dr. said most likely the fast elevators and my ears plugging and/or popping triggered it and she gave me some medicine. She said once you have it, you will always have it, but it will not be present all the time and some have it worse than others. I can honestly say I have only felt it a few times since then and on a much lessor scale. Oddly enough I realized the meds she gave me are the same I take for motion sickness only in a higher dosage.

It was such a great trip! As soon as we got back and we unpacking the party van Amanda stated she wanted to do this next year too. And as much as I did, I did say that we were talking about cruising and I wouldn’t be able to afford both.

As time went on, Amanda kept asking us if we were going to NYC for Thanksgiving again this year. Both Gail and I told her no because we were planning on doing a family cruise in Oct or Nov. Amanda didn’t want to cruise. I felt bad, but we can do it in another year or 2, but we had been talking about cruising for a few years now. Luckily in May, Geoff had catered some cookies for a Martha Stewart/Kate Spade event and as we were talking about his upcoming event on mother’s day they invited Amanda to go with them. Amanda did some quick juggling and was able to take off work for those few days and she was able to go back to NYC again. I was so excited for her as she really enjoyed that trip as well. I do hope we go back in the next year or 2 as a family though. It was the best way to spend Thanksgiving!

Our family cruise is coming up in Oct. (2016). We have 7 rooms of family going…and Amanda IS going now. We have played musical rooms a couple of times as we started out with 5 rooms and then had a few additions and then move some people into different rooms at the end. Skip will not be coming nor will my Dad. The deadline was given back in May I believe and Mom told Dad that he could not be added last minute. If he wasn’t coming she was rooming with me and I was not going to room with both of them. If he came, they would have their own room. He said no, but of course is regretting it now. Since then, Mom has now moved to room with Amanda. Mom said she will not give Dad the opportunity to join now as he needs to learn that when there is a deadline you need to decide by then and can’t turn everything upside down when you decide last minute to join….and I do agree. I am affected by his last minute decisions. For this NYC trip, I would have looked for my own room if I knew ahead of time that Dad was coming. I am often the one inconvenienced with his last minute decision as it is often Claire and I….and Mom….so of course he is added to my room.

So the next adventure begins in just over a month from now…and we are all getting so excited!!!

Thanks for reliving this wonderful Thanksgiving trip with me.

Sorry to hear you wound up with vertigo. Glad it hasn't been occurring on a bad scale since then.

Loved the fall colors in Centeal Park. So nice you did the carriage rides.

I am glad you were able to handle the queso dip breaking. I had an incident on a trip with tequila that did not get handled so well. I was just tired and over it :sad:

Good to hear Amanda gets to go back to the city. And it's exciting that your cruise is coming up. Most of my family is like your dad, to an extent. They want to plan last minute and that's great if you go solo or as couple but not an entire family.

Anyway, look forward to a TR on that trip if you do one.

I woke up not feeling well.

I am so sorry that you were not feeling well and that it turned out to be vertigo. I hope that it will not trouble you too much.

We ended right where we started. I think our ride was around 45 minutes. It was very nice

I really love that idea and I am glad you liked it. I think we may look into this.

Thanks for sharing.

Corinna

Sorry to hear you wound up with vertigo. Glad it hasn't been occurring on a bad scale since then.

I hope it doesn't get worse as time goes on.

Loved the fall colors in Centeal Park. So nice you did the carriage rides.

It was beautiful.

I am glad you were able to handle the queso dip breaking. I had an incident on a trip with tequila that did not get handled so well. I was just tired and over it :sad:

hahaha...well Tequila is different.

Good to hear Amanda gets to go back to the city. And it's exciting that your cruise is coming up. Most of my family is like your dad, to an extent. They want to plan last minute and that's great if you go solo or as couple but not an entire family.

She went back in May and they had a fabulous time.
Sometimes last minute trips are fun, but when 14+ other people are planning a trip we can't bend for the 1 or 2 who can't decide then. Skip gave me a sob story that we picked the worst week for him. I told him that no matter what week we picked he would tell us it was bad. He would only be happy if he picked the week and then he would only pick right at the last minute. You can't do that with a group. Then Skip keeps asking me if people feel bad that he can't go and I told him no, because we had to work with 7 families schedules and for someone who wasn't committed in the first place why would we worry. LOL. And he will make himself busy to prove a point but I know 9 out of the last 10 years he has NOT been busy that week.
And the same for my dad. Far out he thinks he will be fine not going but once he thinks about it then he wants to come and it disrupts us all. I told my mom if she wants to bring him now that she is in a room with Amanda then go for it, but I won't do it. She says no he needs to learn we can't bend for him every year.

I am so sorry that you were not feeling well and that it turned out to be vertigo. I hope that it will not trouble you too much.

I am glad it isn't worse as I heard others who have it all the time. Knock on wood it doesn't get that way for me.

I really love that idea and I am glad you liked it. I think we may look into this.

It was a nice way to see Central Park. Its much bigger than I thought it would be and to walk it would have taken hours...well for me to explore it thoroughly.

I was on vacation when you started this so got to read it all at once. How fun to spend Thanksgiving with your family like that. Sad that Skip didn't go. And as disruptive as it was with your dad coming last minute I'm sure it was nice having him along. But it sounds like your mom is going to be better in the future and good that you put a cut off date for the cruise.

Geoff really went out of his way to add some special touches, too sweet :)

I was perplexed by some of the floats and people walking in the parade, like the egg and butter peoole. But what a great view, wow!

Thanks for sharing this trip, I enjoyed reading about it :)

I was on vacation when you started this so got to read it all at once. How fun to spend Thanksgiving with your family like that. Sad that Skip didn't go. And as disruptive as it was with your dad coming last minute I'm sure it was nice having him along. But it sounds like your mom is going to be better in the future and good that you put a cut off date for the cruise.

Geoff really went out of his way to add some special touches, too sweet :)

I was perplexed by some of the floats and people walking in the parade, like the egg and butter peoole. But what a great view, wow!

Thanks for sharing this trip, I enjoyed reading about it :)

Thanks for reading. It was a great trip.

Just found this TR and I loved every minute of reading it.

Going to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade has always been a dream for me. I have researched looking into hotel deals that are right along the parade route so you can watch from your room or go out on the street in front of the hotel where they have reserved space. It's so expensive though but I will eventually get there. :)

I spent NYE at the Marriott in Times Square in 2000. What a crazy time that was, since the world was supposed to end that night. :) A friend of mine won a trip and brought my husband (boyfriend at the time) and I along. I haven't been back to NYC since and I really need to get there again soon. I would love for my kids to experience it.

Thanks for sharing your amazing trip. You have given me some great ideas for when I finally get my chance to go for Thanksgiving.

Just found this TR and I loved every minute of reading it.

Going to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade has always been a dream for me. I have researched looking into hotel deals that are right along the parade route so you can watch from your room or go out on the street in front of the hotel where they have reserved space. It's so expensive though but I will eventually get there. :)

I spent NYE at the Marriott in Times Square in 2000. What a crazy time that was, since the world was supposed to end that night. :) A friend of mine won a trip and brought my husband (boyfriend at the time) and I along. I haven't been back to NYC since and I really need to get there again soon. I would love for my kids to experience it.

Thanks for sharing your amazing trip. You have given me some great ideas for when I finally get my chance to go for Thanksgiving.

yes hotel on the hotels...they are super expensive on the route.
I bet that was a crazy time in NYC that year.
Thanks for reading!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter