• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanksgiving dinner

sadiras...

I'd love your roasted garlic mashed potatoes and eggnog pie recipes.

Eggnog Pie, I follow this recipe but add a bit more rum http://allrecipes.com/recipe/yummy-eggnog-pie/

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes - Cut the top of full heads of garlic (skin on) and roast with the turkey or brussel sprouts (about 45 minutes). Boil Yukon Gold potatoes (skin on) until fork tender. Drain potatoes, put them back in pot, add heavy cream (or milk), butter and squeeze roasted garlic into mixture, mash and serve. Salt the water when you boil the potatoes.

My family likes a slightly different kind, and I really don't mind it at all. It is "orange" or "pink" (or whatever other color/flavor Jello you use) Fluff.

We mix a container of cottage cheese with a well-drained can of crushed pineapple and a well-drained can of mandarin oranges. Then sprinkle over a small packet of Jello, any flavor, but we prefer Strawberry or Orange, and stir to combine well. Next, fold in a container of Cool-whip, carefully so as to not un-fluff it. Finally, add about 1/2 a bag of mini rainbow colored marshmallows and stir those in too. Let it set up in the fridge for a few hours before serving.

Yup, that's the one! :thumbsup2 I think it's disgusting, but my kids love it.

I'm usually asked to bring dessert. This year I'm baking brownies using this recipe with no icing:
https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=98
After they've cooled I'll put a layer of good quality vanilla ice cream on top and put this in the freezer.
Then I'll make Hershey's chocolate frosting ( https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=184) using enough milk to make it runny. RIght before we leave, I'll drizzle the chocolate frosting on top. I usually bring strawberries or cherry pie filling in case anyone wants to add to the brownies.
We're going to my SIL's house. Usually we have:
fried turkey
potato salad
green bean casserole
7 layer salad
crawfish and crab cornbread dressing
Also a few new dishes someone wants to try.

How do you make your creamed onions? We had them every holiday growing up and DH's family doesn't do them. My family doesn't get together anymore...so I would love to attempt them!

Care to share the recipes for the sweet potato pudding and salted honey pie?

Care to share the recipe for the coconut custard pie?

And can you please share the shrimp dip recipe?

My dad is the one who loves them (no one else in our family does) so I cheat and just buy frozen creamed oninons...sorry I don't have a fab recipe for you!!

MJ

Turkey and Cornbread Dressing
Macaroni and Cheese
Sweet Potato Casserole
Deviled Eggs
Corn on Cob
Orange Jello Salad
Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
Cranberry and Spiced Apple Rings
Sweet Pickles

Chocolate Torte
Pecan Pie
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Sweet Potato Pie
Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream

Start the meal with a nice prayer and top it off with a few tums and nap.

I just did a search to see if anyone was talking about their Thanksgiving menus to see if I could get any new ideas or recipes for this year.

I make dinner here for me, DH, DD, and my mom. This is our menu so far:

Turkey and gravy
stuffing
candied yams
mashed potatoes
corn bread
green beans or corn, not sure yet
jello salad (lime with crushed pineapple and cool whip)
cranberry from the can (DH loves the stuff that comes out in the shape of the can :rotfl:)
apple pie
pumpkin cake roll

We stick to my deceased mom's menu pretty much just for the comfort in it.

DIL and DS1 is making a turkey and an apple pie

DD2 is making stuffing (we do my mom's basic, bread crumbs, sage, onions, celery type--but this year, I'm trying to add mushrooms. We are a family that sticks with what we know but I'm trying to broaden horizons)
cheesecake

Me and DD1-Small ham/pineapple in brown sugar, deviled eggs, peas and carrots (another of my moms must haves), sweet potatoes in brown sugar and marshmallow on top, green bean casserole.

DS2-mashed potatoes, rolls and butter. He's the 21 year old college student/pizza worker so cooking is best left to others.

My BF-2 homemade pumpkin pies and Cool Whip

My sister will bring some appetizers, probably veggie tray and spinach dip and my mom's fruit cake (it's really a raisin, nut,brown sugar boiled cake which those in England may recognize).

Here's the best part:
My place is too small now so we normally do this at my DS1's house. However, they are starting construction to add to the upstairs so we have kicked my ex husband (kid's dad) out of his house for the day :rotfl2:

I'm thinking of doing some brussell sprouts with bacon since I noticed that's a staple in England for holidays and would like to learn more of my mom's heritage. I'll have to email my cousins to see what else we would like.

I think this might be the same as our family's "Green Stuff"--pistachio instant pudding mixed with cool whip, cottage cheese, crushed pineapple, et al. :scared: I think it's pretty disgusting but my family loves it. I'm hoping that I can sneak this Thanksgiving by without having to make this horrid stuff.
Similar. This one uses lime jello, cream cheese, cool whip (I think) crushed pineapple and pecans. The texture alone is...:sad2:

My menu includes:

a turkey breast
gravy
stovetop (we love it)
mashed potatoes
fresh baked rolls
green beans (NOT THAT CASSEROLE)
green salad
corn
pumpkin pie
whoopee pies
chocolate cream pie

we usually have cinnamon rolls for breakfast, but this year since I am working 3-11 I think we are having an early turkey dinner.

It's going to be a different Thanksgiving for us. My Brother in law was diagnosed with leukemia in April- my Mother in law was diagnosed with Mulitple Myeloma in September and my husband and I are getting divorced. That being said, we are all coming together and doing a dinner! One brother in law in doing a rotisserie turkey breast, I'm making rolls, stuffing, 2 pies and a salad (they're gonna miss me next year! ;) ) My father in law is doing the green bean casserole and mashed potatoes and not sure what my other brother in law is bringing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter