• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanksgiving Dinner

MAC3

I'll be quiet now!
Sorry Mods if this should have been posted in dining forum. But I am a DVC member in planning mode so I figure who better to ask......

Anyway, I was wondering what are your favorite place to enjoy a traditional t-day dinner.... DH is "no frills" sort of guy likes his turkey to taste like turkey, green beans like green beans.....you get it right..

So which places have you found the best "traditional dinners.." and without starting the resort war.....

Torn between VWL, SSR & BCV for this stay....11/22/12-12/02/12...

All info, ideas & opinions apreciated.

Thanks Lisa

We stayed at VWL for Thanksgiving 2010. The resort was beautifully decorated for the holidays. We had Thanksgiving dinner that year at Trails End Buffet at Fort Wilderness. My family really enjoyed our dinner there but no one had traditional Thanksgiving food other than me. My husband stuck with the fried chicken and ribs and the kids ate pasta and mac and cheese. The only portion of the Thanksgiving type food that I was disappointed with was the turkey. It was more of a turkey roll as opposed to cut right off the bird. I must say though, they had the most delicious pumpkin cheesecake. It was so good, I had two peices and left completely stuffed. In 2009 we ate at Whispering Canyon Cafe and did not like it as much as Trails End. Really wish we were going back this year but we decided to go a bit earlier this year to go to MNSSHP. Hopefully we will be back in 2012.

We had Thanksgiving dinner at Hollywood and Vine last year. It was a buffet with all your traditional turkey day foods. We had a large group of 14 so it served our purposes. The food was not bad (not great either), but there is just something missing whenever you're standing in a buffet line with a bunch of strangers. :rotfl: The added benefit was that it included preferred seating for Fantasmic, but you have to ask for the package when you make your reservation because there's only a limited number.

Sorry Mods if this should have been posted in dining forum. But I am a DVC member in planning mode so I figure who better to ask......

Anyway, I was wondering what are your favorite place to enjoy a traditional t-day dinner.... DH is "no frills" sort of guy likes his turkey to taste like turkey, green beans like green beans.....you get it right..

So which places have you found the best "traditional dinners.." and without starting the resort war.....

Torn between VWL, SSR & BCV for this stay....11/22/12-12/02/12...

All info, ideas & opinions apreciated.

Thanks Lisa

My favorite place for T'giving dinner is in the villa we are staying in. I pick up a turkey dinner at Publix or somewhere, add some extra sides, and "eat in". No standing in line with strangers at a buffet and plenty of left overs for the next day or so (my husband's favorite part!)

We did Thanksgiving at Kidani and loved it. We cooked Thanksgiving dinner in our 2BR and would do it that way again. All three resorts you mention are great. You'd have a wonderful holiday at each of them.

Have a great trip!

Thanks MouseMomx2....my family doesn't like the planning much especially DH however they really like the vacations... DD & I have been to SSR and are hoping to convert DH who is a diehard OKW fan.

But every now & then one needs a change of scenery ...and if we cannot get either AKL or SSR at 7 months then BOOHOO we are "stuck" with the VWL & BCV...isn't that horrible?

Have a Magical Day everyone!

We were thier the last 5 Thanksgivings and we have eaten at
2010 Tony's Town Square
2009 Grand Floridian Cafe
2008 Citricos
2007 Crsytal Palace
2006 Captains Grille

Out of those our favorites were Tony's and Captains Grille. Keep in mind transprotation to the restuarant. For instance the year we did Citricos it took us 2 hours to get from the BWV to the Grand Floridian. We generaly do not get a rental car so we try to plan to eat only one stop from the park we are going to wind up in for the evening, or eat near our resort.

Our son and family ate a traditional T'giving meal at Olivia's a couple years ago and thought it was very nice. We had Teppan Edo for ours.....Very non-traditional, but we loved it!:thumbsup2

We used to eat the Thanksgiving dinner at Chef Mickey's way back when it was situated in Downtown Disney.

We were thier the last 5 Thanksgivings and we have eaten at
2010 Tony's Town Square
2009 Grand Floridian Cafe
2008 Citricos
2007 Crsytal Palace
2006 Captains Grille

Out of those our favorites were Tony's and Captains Grille. Keep in mind transprotation to the restuarant. For instance the year we did Citricos it took us 2 hours to get from the BWV to the Grand Floridian. We generaly do not get a rental car so we try to plan to eat only one stop from the park we are going to wind up in for the evening, or eat near our resort.

We have reservations for Captain's Grille for Thankgiving dinner. What was it like? I know it is a buffet, but do they have the traditional turkey and trimmings. Any information about it would be appreciated.

Macky

I have not done this myself, but it seems to me I've heard that Liberty Tree Tavern has a pretty good Thanksgiving meal, very traditional. Maybe somebody can correct me if that's wrong.

Just so you don't miss the leftovers afterward, you can get the Holiday sandwich from Earl of Sandwich in DTD Marketplace. Deeeeeeelish! :thumbsup2

The Liberty Tree in MK, is all yr round (close to ) a Thanksgiving Feast.

Most rest change menu, but go to allears.net and search menus. They will have Thanksgiving up soon if not already.

One year we had Thanksgiving dinner at Artist's Point at the Wilderness Lodge. They had a traditional Thanksgiving offering as well as their usual menu. It made everyone happy. My wife wanted the traditional meal and I wanted their salmon on a cedar plank specialty. The atmosphere seemed very appropriate to the holiday.

Macky the meal at Captains Grille was great. We were part of a party of 11. We had from senior to toddler and everyone liked thier meal. They did have turkey with all of the trimmings. For us this was a great choice because we just took the boat from BWV.

We're having Thanksgiving dinner at WCC this Thanksgiving. I hope it's better than what has been reported here.

We have reservations for Captain's Grille for Thankgiving dinner. What was it like? I know it is a buffet, but do they have the traditional turkey and trimmings. Any information about it would be appreciated.

Macky

We ate there in 2009. Yes, its a buffet, but it was very good. We had dinner reservations for 4:30 and I was a bit worried that the food selection might not be replenished. There was no need to worry because all of the food stations were replenished with hot and yummy food.

They had all of the traditional Thanksgiving dishes as well as a really nice dessert buffet. If it is the same quality this year as it was when we went, you will be happy.

My favorite place for T'giving dinner is in the villa we are staying in. I pick up a turkey dinner at Publix or somewhere, add some extra sides, and "eat in". No standing in line with strangers at a buffet and plenty of left overs for the next day or so (my husband's favorite part!)
I second this. You can have Publix cook the turkey (or pre-cook it). Then on Thanksgiving, you can simply heat it up, use the stove to make some vegetables and stuffing/mashed potatoes/etc. Of course, you could simply pick up the whole meal.

If you prefer a restaurant, you could order from a local place, too, and pick it up (or eat it there) with everything done.

The key is that a 1BR or larger gives you the flexibility to have a "traditional" (as in your own living and dining room) without the need to fight the predicted large crowds at a WDW restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter