• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanksgiving crowds

carstinsmom

Mouseketeer
Hello, we are planning a trip the week of Thanksgiving and wondering which 3 days would have the least amount of crowds. We are wdw vets but are clueless when it comes to dl, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I think this will be very different from WDW. Because none of the AP's--even the S CA passes--are blocked out Sunday to Wednesday of Thanksgiving week, and now most of the local schools have no school the whole Thanksgiving week, those days have become INCREDIBLY busy. I would even venture to say they could be busier than the holiday weekend days. Even if they're not busier, they are at least as busy. I've observed over this last decade+ of being an AP that often days without S. CA block out are busier than the typical tourist days. The number of AP's for DLR has quatrupled and have become the higher percentage of guests on most all days of the year--very different from WDW. I would actually recommend Thursday to Saturday, but keep in mind it will be busy.

I'd say the Saturday before Thanksgiving would probably be the least busy of the week. The Saturday and Sunday right after Thanksgiving are also not as bad. Between those days, probably the Sunday before and Thanksgiving Day itself. It is a very popular time of year to go, so all the days will be pretty crowded.

We have typically done early October trips. Last year we went Saturday - Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It seemed to me that Saturday and Sunday were the least crowded, but still quite busy. Monday and tuesday were jam packed by noon. The line to get through security was quite long one hour prior to opening.

Last year we were in the parks Saturday, Monday, Weds and Thursday (Thanksgiving Day).

Saturday was the least crowded. Every other day, the mornings were quiet and we got a LOT done. Once noon or so hit, though, it started getting much busier. If you take advantage of getting to the parks when they open, you'll still be able to get a lot done. Nights are really busy.

Last year we were in the parks Saturday, Monday, Weds and Thursday (Thanksgiving Day).

Saturday was the least crowded. Every other day, the mornings were quiet and we got a LOT done. Once noon or so hit, though, it started getting much busier. If you take advantage of getting to the parks when they open, you'll still be able to get a lot done. Nights are really busy.

We were at the parks Sun before Thanksgiving - Sat after and I have to agree with this. We stayed onsite and used the EMH and were able to get so much done. After lunch we either rested, swam or did more low key things (Animation Academy, etc). I know the parks get really crowded, but it never felt that bad to me. I would usually take the little one back to the room at night and DH would stay with the bigger 3 in the parks. I know they were able to ride Splash over & over without getting off around 10pm. We are going back the same time this year and we're planning on using the same strategy.

Thanks for all of the information everyone. With that being said is it still going to be less crowded than if we were to go between Christmas and New Years?

Thanks for all of the information everyone. With that being said is it still going to be less crowded than if we were to go between Christmas and New Years?

Yes. The week between Christmas and New Year's is notoriously the busiest or second busiest week of the entire year because there are soooo many people out of work and school. The time frame immediately after Thanksgiving weekend ends is probably the best time to go during the holiday season in terms of lower crowds and full holiday decorations.

I don't know if it will matter but I always mention these things when I see trip dates just in case it makes a difference -- going to the parks pre-Thanksgiving usually means that the 3 Disney hotels will not be decorated and the 3 hotels' Santas and Carolers will not be in place yet. Typically, all of the hotels get set up with holiday merriment as soon as Thanksgiving ends.

This year, however, because Thanksgiving is happening so late in November (and is coinciding with the start of Hanukkah) I suspect that the hotels may get their decorations a wee bit earlier than normal (it has happened before, though not often)...possibly even a day or two before Thanksgiving. I still tend to think that Santa won't appear at the hotels until after Thanksgiving ends, though. He will, however, be in both parks starting on November 12th.

Again, that info may not make a difference at all but I mention it to people in case it is important to them to get the full, 100% Disneyland Resort holiday experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter