Thanksgiving crowds

rie'smom

<font color=green>"Always let your conscience be y
We were at WDW last week and all I can say is YIKES!!! My niece has an immune deficiency and so was able to get a GAC. Without that card, it would have been very difficult to see and do all that we did. This was our 7th Thanksgiving at WDW and I'm thinking it will be our last.
To anyone that I said don't worry about the Thanksgiving crowds, I apologize!

LOL...the week before was busy too...I am sure not thanksgiving busy but 100 times busier than last year...However ride lines were very low...it was really weird...I was in panic mode at every RD worrying about crowds and getting my FPs but we never used them...I am looking at another week next year

So are you saying that it was very difficult to get around the parks but that the ride waits weren't that bad? And to the OP, did you do RD and use FP?

We are going the week before Christmas and I am trying to prepare myself and plan.

LOL...the week before was busy too...I am sure not thanksgiving busy but 100 times busier than last year...However ride lines were very low...it was really weird...I was in panic mode at every RD worrying about crowds and getting my FPs but we never used them...I am looking at another week next year

We leave next Saturday, so it will be interesting to see if the crowds that week have jumped a bunch too.

I'm kind of at a loss for the best time to go. I really thought of moving to the week before Thanksgiving next year. I like mid December. The parks are manageable during the days, but I'm bracing myself for attending 2 MVMCP's that are likely to sell out. I was thinking of November to avoid that.

It just seems that the marketing folks at Disney are being a little too successful at their job of filling the parks year round!

Of course, next year, mid-December is no longer in the cheapest rate category, so maybe that will thin the ranks a bit.

Egads!!!! And here I was thinking of heading to Disney for Thanksgiving next year!

We were there the week of Thanksgiving and we tried to follow Touring Plans for the best park to visit on each day. While we go often and didn’t ride a lot of rides, I thought the parks were less crowded than when we were there in July and mornings were good until about noon (we are not early risers). Maybe it’s all in your perspective. Since we go in over holidays to maximize time gone and minimize vacation days used we are used to crowded parks so I was actually pleasantly surprised. Especially with AK on Thanksgiving Day and DHS on Monday. MK is always crowded, but except for around parade times I thought it was reasonable. Having said all this we are going next year the week after Thanksgiving.

So are you saying that it was very difficult to get around the parks but that the ride waits weren't that bad?

We were there 11/21 to 11/27, but it was our first trip and I have nothing to compare it to.

We also only got on rides with no height restriction and we used fast pass where available and used meals to meet characters when we could.

I only found it hard to walk around in Adventure Land. Some spots were real traffic jams, but I found Fantasy land easy to move around in overall.

We had enough room for dd to run around in the "snow" while viewing the Osborne Lights

We walked on to Safari at AK, Nemo and boat ride in Mexico Pavilion at Epcot, Carousel at MK

We waited less than 10 minutes for Triceratop Spin at AK and IASW (think we just caught it at a good time) and Philharmagic at MK. Saw Philharmagic twice. Every time we got a fast pass for something a Surprise fast pass for the show came out with it.

We fast passed Peter Pan and Pooh. Did not ride Dumbo (45 minute wait all day and we missed rope drop. Did not do Jungle Cruise because fast pass return time was during dinner and we were leaving after.

Waited 20 minutes for Magic Carpets. Did not do Tomorrow land due to illness.

Did Toontown comfortably (didn't feel congested). My dd played in Donald's boat for an hour freely (it was 84 degrees) and could run around in the playground. There was plenty of room to move around in Mickey and Minnie's houses as well.

We walked right in to every show at DHS and saw both shows at AK

It was only a little difficult to move around world showcase in spots, but for a 9.5 I found it managable.

We had a front row spot at 3 parades (MSEP, Celebration and Block Party) arriving at the most 15 minutes before it started, but that was probably just a bit of Pixie Dust.

Longest line we stood in was the line for Jasmine and Alladin at Epcot. We waited 30 minutes, but it was towards the end of their appearance time and our last chance to see her during the trip.

There were though things we skipped doing as we had agreed before hand we would not stand in line more than 30 minutes. We just agreed we'd have to suck it up and do another trip :lmao:

So are you saying that it was very difficult to get around the parks but that the ride waits weren't that bad? And to the OP, did you do RD and use FP?

We are going the week before Christmas and I am trying to prepare myself and plan.

It was difficult to get around. At times, it was wall to wall people. We had RM but did not go to rope drop because my niece has to take her meds at 8:30 am and then wait 45-60 minutes. RD may have made a difference. We did have a GAC and didn't need RM on this trip. We went to separate entrances for every ride with no waiting. It was the crowds in the parks that were nuts. People were very nice to each other though.

my sister was there last week and she didn't think it was bad at all. :confused3 and we've all been there Thanksgiving twice before. she thought it was better than the last time we were there at Thanksgiving. they were able to do everything, and some things multiple times.

i always find it interesting how it can be crazy to one person and not bad to someone else. :)

my sister was there last week and she didn't think it was bad at all. :confused3 and we've all been there Thanksgiving twice before. she thought it was better than the last time we were there at Thanksgiving. they were able to do everything, and some things multiple times.

i always find it interesting how it can be crazy to one person and not bad to someone else. :)

I know I've seen threads in past years saying Thanksgiving crowds were bad and we didn't think that at all. This is our year to say OMG. We've looked forward to our Thanksgiving trips for the past 7 years but we won't be going back at this time anymore. Luckily my daughter is home schooled and she and her traditional school friends will all be seniors and graduate next year so we won't be tied to school vacations.

we went areound the same time last yr and this yr.

observation: yes alot more crowded this yr than last yr. MK on the 22nd was so out of hand. I mean when I tell you that we were packed like sardines during whishes Im not exxagerating. were there on the 22nd last yr also and no way were the crowds the same. no way!

DD and I were at Disney from Wed.(24) to Sun (28) and we thought the crowds were not bad at all. Wed. and Thanksgiving day were not too crowded for us, but it was busier on Fri. and Sat. Still no real delays for us. We did use FP and have AP so we park hopped too. I my experience Easter is more crowed. The Christmas lights and decorations were great!!

We arrived on Thanksgiving Day and didn't think the crowds were too bad then, but expected them to thin out after the weekend...but the didn't. We typically go in July and found the crowds similiar to those in the summer.

The weather was great...but the bus system was horrible! Apparently they are in the process of switching systems and some parks/resorts are on the new system and some are on the old. Some of our waits were ridiculous!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter