• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanksgiving at Whispering Canyon - 2020

MrsBooch

DIS Veteran
I'm putting this post together because when I was researching where to make a reservation for thanksgiving - I couldn't find any detail on Whispering Canyon or pictures aside from some generalities "all you can eat turkey" etc.

We ate at Whispering Canyon - it was fantastic. Worth all of the monies.

The turkey was perfectly cooked and not dry in the slightest, the stuffing was ideal and even the green beans were delicious.
We got seconds and thirds of: corn, green beans, turkey, stuffing. Nothing was oversalted or overseasoned.
I did NOT get any adult bevs so no pics of that menu or options but I think it's standard for the restaurant - no special thanksgiving drinks.

The ribs were not bad but not the star of the show.

The salad was also surprisingly good (the brittle was a great touch) and of course those parker house rolls with Honey Butter - *chefs kiss*

The desserts were okay - not saying they were bad - but we were all so full by the time they showed up - I don't know that we gave them the opportunity they deserved. I will say that the pumpkin tart was exactly like pumpkin pie which was a nice end cap to the meal - I didn't even eat the other two so I can't speak to them.

We have whispering canyon booked for Christmas Day. I just today learned that the wilderness lodge doesn’t open till next summer. Is there still transportation that run from the parks to wilderness lodge? We will be at animal kingdom and will need to get to wilderness lodge for Christmas dinner.

We have whispering canyon booked for Christmas Day. I just today learned that the wilderness lodge doesn’t open till next summer. Is there still transportation that run from the parks to wilderness lodge? We will be at animal kingdom and will need to get to wilderness lodge for Christmas dinner.

While Wilderness Lodge - Hotel side is not yet open, the DVC side has been open (boulder ridge and copper creek) we just stayed there over thanksgiving. They have boats running from MK to Wilderness Lodge and buses to and from all other parks so you will be good to go.

You should have no trouble getting a bus from AK to Wilderness... the DVC portion of the resort is open so the buses are running.

We are going the Tuesday of New Years for dinner. I’m so excited! Do they still do the fun silly things like the ketchup?

Same question about the fun things Ive always heard about here-still going on?Stalking ADRs for Xmas day dinner. We have dinner booked for the 26th for now. We will get parking validated since we are eating there, right?

127141442_10158242661730345_2065508016798854713_o.jpg

127814484_10158242661625345_5334840182917800510_o.jpg

So glad you started this thread! We were there on Thanksgiving Day (2020) and had such an amazing meal. I'd wished that we had more info beforehand, but I knew whatever they had in store for us would be delicious. I'd go back for a special holiday, in a heartbeat! (Side note: They even permitted an AP discount for 10% off of our holiday meal.)

Same question about the fun things Ive always heard about here-still going on?Stalking ADRs for Xmas day dinner. We have dinner booked for the 26th for now. We will get parking validated since we are eating there, right?

You can park at the resort with an ADR (the security guard will verify your ADR and wave you through). It is not “validated” in the normal sense of the word as Disney resorts don’t have entry/exit tickets like a parking garage/deck/lot.

We are going the Tuesday of New Years for dinner. I’m so excited! Do they still do the fun silly things like the ketchup?

We ate there last week. Yes, the antics are still there. A bit more mild though. NO ketchup, no horse races. But things like giant glasses, throwing straws, funny servers are still going strong. Our server definitely felt us out to see what kind of people we were. We had a great time. Its been forever since we had been, Thanksgiving 2015 to be exact so our kids didn't remember it and they loved it.

View attachment 544322

View attachment 544323

So glad you started this thread! We were there on Thanksgiving Day (2020) and had such an amazing meal. I'd wished that we had more info beforehand, but I knew whatever they had in store for us would be delicious. I'd go back for a special holiday, in a heartbeat! (Side note: They even permitted an AP discount for 10% off of our holiday meal.)

ooo that picture just makes me want to eat more of that delicious food haha - we were there together and didn't know it!! I love it.

Yeah we loved it. and I wanted to add in - they also allowed for the DVC discount - 10% as well if you don't have an AP but you do have DVC - good to know.

Also regarding the antics - it is "toned down" BUT....
My husband can be really stone faced - it's hard to make him crack a smile sometimes - he was doubled over laughing from the servers and what they were doing.
The napkin throwing, straw throwing, it's all fun - but some of the servers were almost performing - it was great. We ended up having breakfast AND Dinner there - a great experience each time.

How would I know if the menu is back to normal the day after christmas?

Are they doing a special Christmas menu? I can only speak for Thanksgiving but Thanksgiving Day was literally the only day they offered that Thanksgiving Dinner.

So the next day it was back to normal.

Our Thanksgiving reservation specifically stated "Whispering Canyon Cafe Thanksgiving lunch," which led me to believe it was going to be a special menu. I believe it would be the same for Christmas.

My Christmas reservation does say "Christmas lunch" so I think there will likely be a special menu. I tried calling Disney Dining and the woman couldn't find anything in the system. I'd really like to know what the vegetarian option will be. We're on the fence about whether to keep this reservations, so it would be great if the details were available somewhere. Has anyone had luck?

My Christmas reservation does say "Christmas lunch" so I think there will likely be a special menu. I tried calling Disney Dining and the woman couldn't find anything in the system. I'd really like to know what the vegetarian option will be. We're on the fence about whether to keep this reservations, so it would be great if the details were available somewhere. Has anyone had luck?
Interested to know if there was a vegetarian option when you went. We will be going with a mix of vegetarians/carnivores for Thanksgiving 2021.

My reservation also says "Thanksgiving Lunch." Is the Thanksgiving Lunch menu different from the Thanksgiving Dinner menu, or do they serve the same food for both meals?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter