• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanks to DVC, I went to Disney and LOST weight

rutgers1

DIS Veteran
As many of you can probably relate, my experience with Disney parks has been challenging when it comes to food. For some reason, I have historically justified eating like crap because of the amount of walking that would take place each day.
- "I probably walked off 1,000 calories today....I'll go for the ice cream sundae."
- "If I am going to stay up for the 2AM extra magic hours, I better have a Coke..."

In every trip I can remember, I have actually gained weight (and felt out of sorts) due to that type of attitude....until this trip.

Fresh off having gotten back into shape and starting an exercise plan that works for me, I decided that this would be the one trip where I maintained - or lost - weight. The plan was simple:
1) eat at least 2 of 3 meals in the DVC room each day
2) actually make use of the gym at the resort
3) keep moving while relaxing in the pool (kicking while leaning back against the side, treading water occasionally, playing around with my kids)
4) make better food choices when eating out at Disney parks and restaurants

I actually played tennis 3 times at the resort. Last time I stayed here (OKW), I wasn't even aware that the resort had a tennis court, or that you could get free racquets and balls.

Today is day 10 of our trip, and I am happy to say that I haven't gained a pound. In fact, I have lost weight. Best of all, I am waking up with more energy and am not going home with any regrets. I have saved a LOT of money by cooking for the family in the villa, and no one seems to feel like they were cheated.

All in all, a great trip!

I never gain weight on vacations either thanks to eating more meals in the condo, and it doesn't require much cooking. It's all about eating more non-starchy, non sugary foods, and eating something that is nutritious as well as filling. More fresh salads and vegetables, moderate amounts of fresh fruit, and enough protein and fat to keep us from getting hungry.

I thought it would be hard, but it wasn't. Actually, I thought that we would feel like we were missing out. However, as I recalled from past trips, there always came a time when we were literally sick of Disney food. There are only so many hamburgers and chicken nugget meals that a kid can eat.

An interesting side-note is that, for the past two times we have eaten at Disney quick service, my oldest son has ordered a chicken ceasar salad. If we hadn't been eating better in the room over the past two weeks, I don't think he would have been inspired to go for the salad in the parks.

As many of you can probably relate, my experience with Disney parks has been challenging when it comes to food. For some reason, I have historically justified eating like crap because of the amount of walking that would take place each day.
- "I probably walked off 1,000 calories today....I'll go for the ice cream sundae."
- "If I am going to stay up for the 2AM extra magic hours, I better have a Coke..."

In every trip I can remember, I have actually gained weight (and felt out of sorts) due to that type of attitude....until this trip.

Fresh off having gotten back into shape and starting an exercise plan that works for me, I decided that this would be the one trip where I maintained - or lost - weight. The plan was simple:
3) keep moving while relaxing in the pool (kicking while leaning back against the side, treading water occasionally, playing around with my kids)

I actually played tennis 3 times at the resort. Last time I stayed here (OKW), I wasn't even aware that the resort had a tennis court, or that you could get free racquets and balls.

Today is day 10 of our trip, and I am happy to say that I haven't gained a pound. In fact, I have lost weight. Best of all, I am waking up with more energy and am not going home with any regrets. I have saved a LOT of money by cooking for the family in the villa, and no one seems to feel like they were cheated.

Been there, done that with Disney food!

Glad to hear your enjoyment of your DVC way of vacationing.

I've been doing this for a few years now. Especially as the kids (all adults now) got older and wanted changes.

We still enjoy an occasional Disney restaurant and don't necessarily avoid eating park food, but it's in moderation.

There are so many options. At BWV the tennis courts are always empty - maybe one day I'll find a partner to play with.

And here I was thinking you were going to say that you had the farthest room away from transportation, and burned off mega calories every day just walking to the bus stop...

I'm not sure about this trip but I have always maintained or lost even eating what I wanted at Disney. It's the walking all day every day and there heat. I work out a lot and eat very well at home. I was absolutely STARVING on this recent Disney trip and I really had to eat a lot more than I am accustomed to doing at home. I don't eat any flour at all but I ate bread this trip, I felt like I had to. If I gained (the bread definitely bloated me a bit) it'll go away now I'm back home and to my usual routine exercise and eating habits.

We use a pedometer at Disney and when we go to the parks we average between 20,000 - 28,000 steps a day (9-14 miles a day). With that in mind we usually lose about 1-2 pounds for about 10 days at disney. It should be more but we eat more than usual.

We usually stay at the Epcot resorts so we walk to HS, Epcot, and thru EPCOT for the monorail to MK.

I LOVE to eat...so vacation is a treat! We also walk approx 10-14 miles a day and enjoy apps and desserts or sharing meals so we too lose! Love it!

Same here. Had a little different trip this time...2350 round trip by car, but only had fast food for one meal. Spent nine days in Disney. Love the ability to utilize the kitchen. We usually fly down and rent a car....it felt weird having my own vehicle there. And now that I know about the Publix in Celebration (close to BWV) and all the places close to AKV...it made things so much easier food wise. I still enjoy the sit down restaurants, but just a tiny bit of bread will I take with a tiny dab of butter (some places have the nice butter with pink sea salt) and then I put the basket out of reach. We made a lot of chef salads. I had the deli person at Publix slice thick pieces of turkey breast, lite swiss and good ham, purchased bagged salads, whatever salad dressing was on sale. Regular deli meats too....made sandwiches for the trip back home. Went through nearly two cases of water for two people. What a big savings just on water (cannot tolerate Disney water's taste).

We've utilized the grills at BLT for steaks and burgers. We've done simple shrimp and linguini. Breakfast is always in the room....omlettes, frozen waffles. I like being able to control what is added to my food.

The meal plan can be deadly. This last trip I did it for 3 days (split stay studio than 1 BR)....but mainly because of the "changes" for the regular dining plan....soup or salad instead of dessert. Well, it did not work out that way really. Salads offered at the sit down places was just a green salad with maybe a slice of tomato or some carrots. No soups offered. Although I did hear at BOG you could get a soup. I really could not WAIT to move to the 1 BR.

Congrats on keeping the weight off. It can be a struggle. When at BWV, I'll get up a little early and walk around the lake, up to the turnstiles at Epcot and back. It is so peaceful early in the morning....I see some really fantastic spider webs too (and some creepy spiders). When the dew is clinginging to them and the sun starts to shine....works of art.

I think I sweated a lot of weight off, too. It was extremely hot, but not as humid as I expected.

Every few trips DH and I do a "spa" trip, where we work out every day in the gym, do some steam/sauna, do some hot tub time, stick to a healthy diet cooked at some of the better restaurants around, catch some afternoon sunshine and get better sleep than at home. It's really a luxury that you can really only do as DVC members. Some people pay a lot for such spa treatments! Our favorite resorts for these trips are SSR and AKV.

Lately I have found that I loose about 5lbs while at Disney and not because I am cooking meals in our room but rather watching what I eat. Lots of walking helps. Stay about from fried foods and drinks lots of water. Opted for later breakfast at the QS (had mini muffins in the room when we got up) and skipped lunch.

We really enjoy driving to DW but I normally put on a few pounds during the long Cross Country drive from Central Texas. Eating at Disney can be tempting because of the availability of Sweet Treats around every corner. I make sure I have a Mickey Bar every day.
You would think that putting anywhere from 4 to 16 hours a day on your feet would burn some calories and I suppose it does but what happens is your body starts to adjust to that and begins to slow down the calorie burning after a few days so to jump start that whole Progress just add some High Intensity exercise to the whole scheme of things. A 10 minute set of 10 push ups, 10 pull ups, and 10 Air Squats (Judy) does it for me. You just keep doing the set until your 10 minutes is up. It also makes me feel like I am pumped up and look really great in my favorite DVC T-Shirt.
Also Many people wind up staying out late and getting up early to hit the parks and a lack of sleep can slow down the metabolism as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter