Thanks Pete For Speaking Out About Disney's Free Dining Plan Debacle

Why do you have to book a park hopper or water park to get this promotion that's the biggest *** moment of his whole thing WHY are you making this promotion more complicated then it has to be...?

I have to agree with all of the complaints. I tried multiple times online to no avail on the first day of free dining. I was successful the next day in getting my trip booked. I normally do not get the park hopping option, as I haven't really felt like I needed it the last few years that we've gone. If I had the choice I wouldn't take that option.

Why do you have to book a park hopper or water park to get this promotion that's the biggest *** moment of his whole thing WHY are you making this promotion more complicated then it has to be...?

probably because people already have tickets as part of a package or to encourage poel to upgrade to those. It's like they used to make you have at least one day then it got upped to two day. I think this is Disney's way of saying we don't want to make free dinning a good deal anymore so you have to add all these extras to it. I'm guessing if it gets offered next year there will probably be a minimum stay of seven days and you have to have the hopper,water parks and Moore and memory maker as part of the package

These boards are littered with complaints of every kind. Nobody ever does anything about it. Everybody keeps buying tickets and staying at the resorts. There are so many threats of boycotts and the like. Nobody would actually follow through. If tickets doubled in price today, everyone would still buy them. Disney can offer crappy service because we allow it.

There's an old saying in psychology circles: "You teach others how to treat you." Meaning, if you let others walk all over you, they will. We have taught Disney that it's ok to treat us like this. We will gladly wait on the phone for hours and pay ridiculous prices just to be a part of the Disney experience. In a way, it is WE who are treating OURSELVES poorly.

You know what man???? That's actually true to a certain degree, a lot of people have been talking about Free Dining as early as January of this year and it just exploded the last few weeks. And now that Disney knows that a lot of people were willing to sacrifice a good portion of their vacation to get the Free Dining, they put it out how they did. And yeah the boards are full of complaints but let's be real here, sometimes being verbal about a service that you're not getting can make a difference in even the smallest ways, Disney reads these and other forums. I don't care how big a business is, they can be brought to their knees in a heartbeat by we the customers who pay a lot of money for their services. The company has no choice but to read the feedback because that'll help them plan out their next business move. And yeah we're all buying tickets and all that but that doesn't mean that they'll reach their profit margins every quarter. I will make a prediction right here, right now, the Free Dining Plan promo will be gone for good in 3 years tops. The reason why I'm saying that is because this backlash will grow throughout this year and even the next to the point where Disney will have no choice but to switch tactics. Also, right next door, Universal is gradually catching up to Disney in terms of attractions, experiences and Guest Services, in other words, the competition is getting better and better. I read an article sometime last month where it said that Universal is trying to buy up some land to expand their parks. They'll never reach the capacity of Disney but the fact that they're expanding at such a rapid pace will have Disney think twice about having their guests go through what they're going through Guest Services wise. I also have faith that Disney will get better about how they announce their promos and having a system strong enough to handle the volume. So yeah, I say we should keep being verbal about our experiences because it will make a big difference in the long run, I strongly believe that. We're angry and passionate about this simply because we're Disney Geeks who LOVE Disney & want to experience all Disney has to offer without the stress, plain and simple. I'm never going after the Free Dining promo, never ever ever, I don't care how big the savings is because there's only one thing that's more valuable than the savings and that's my time which I can't get back.I'm even rethinking about the 30% room Discount also because it'll be the same Merry Go Round unless something drastic happens in the next couple of months.

Nothing to do with this year's release, but I was a free dining stalker last May and I remember that CM's were letting cardholders book free dining a day before they were supposed to and so for a few hours that morning people were booking the package, then Disney pulled the brakes and the rest of us had to wait patiently for the official cardholder release the following morning. It was such a mess!! I was up super early the next morning waiting for the exact hour to call and also watching a forum on the boards with others counting down the minutes. I called a minute too early and then hung up and called a second time and got through....and waited on hold for 2 solid hours that morning. I agree it was a ridiculous time to waste holding in a queue for a discount, but it was also an experience. I think it helped that a lot of us were chatting back and forth while we were waiting and listening to the same queue music, then one of us would get though and there was that excitement, and then someone else would post that they got disconnected after forever and then had a busy signal when they tried to call back and that was a bit heartbreaking. I remember thinking, oh please don't let me get disconnected! Thankfully I was able to get through but it was intense....but it was also an experience and something I will never forget! I just feel so bad for everyone who did not get though and book their trip with the discount. Hopefully Disney will see the light and make the changes they need to, and put their focus back into the guest experience. And I do have faith that they will at some point....until then we will continue to go, if we can, as often as we can, and try not to sweat the small stuff. I think your attitude can totally make or break your experience and Disney still remains our happy place!! :goodvibes

Nothing to do with this year's release, but I was a free dining stalker last May and I remember that CM's were letting cardholders book free dining a day before they were supposed to and so for a few hours that morning people were booking the package, then Disney pulled the brakes and the rest of us had to wait patiently for the official cardholder release the following morning. It was such a mess!! I was up super early the next morning waiting for the exact hour to call and also watching a forum on the boards with others counting down the minutes. I called a minute too early and then hung up and called a second time and got through....and waited on hold for 2 solid hours that morning. I agree it was a ridiculous time to waste holding in a queue for a discount, but it was also an experience. I think it helped that a lot of us were chatting back and forth while we were waiting and listening to the same queue music, then one of us would get though and there was that excitement, and then someone else would post that they got disconnected after forever and then had a busy signal when they tried to call back and that was a bit heartbreaking. I remember thinking, oh please don't let me get disconnected! Thankfully I was able to get through but it was intense....but it was also an experience and something I will never forget! I just feel so bad for everyone who did not get though and book their trip with the discount. Hopefully Disney will see the light and make the changes they need to, and put their focus back into the guest experience. And I do have faith that they will at some point....until then we will continue to go, if we can, as often as we can, and try not to sweat the small stuff. I think your attitude can totally make or break your experience and Disney still remains our happy place!! :goodvibes

I'm right there with you, I'ma keep going to the Happiest Place on Earth as many times as I could afford to. I just hope, like you, that Disney will make things a lot easier for us to do that y'know? LOL. Geez, just make it easy for us to utilize your promos when we can, if we don't qualify, fine, if there's no rooms available, that's fine too. We all don't want something as simple as using a great promo to be so flippin hard to get. LOL. But no matter what, I'll ALWAYS be a Disney fan for life. :-)

I agree....they need to just end the offer. They are ending up with many more unhappy people from the promotion than the people who were able to secure it.

One aspect not discussed by Pete, is how the travel agents were treated. Shame on Disney for putting them in such a terrible position with their clients. Guess I must be a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if this wasn't intentional as well. So many TA's reputations were hurt from availability and access that was totally out of their control. I can only imagine the business some lost from frustrated clients who went ahead and booked new reservations rather taking the chance that their TA would be able to modify their existing reservation. With the elimination of AAA discounts, My Disney Experience, etc I believe Disney is trying to squeeze out the travel industry.

I agree....they need to just end the offer. They are ending up with many more unhappy people from the promotion than the people who were able to secure it.

One aspect not discussed by Pete, is how the travel agents were treated. Shame on Disney for putting them in such a terrible position with their clients. Guess I must be a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if this wasn't intentional as well. So many TA's reputations were hurt from availability and access that was totally out of their control. I can only imagine the business some lost from frustrated clients who went ahead and booked new reservations rather taking the chance that their TA would be able to modify their existing reservation. With the elimination of AAA discounts, My Disney Experience, etc I believe Disney is trying to squeeze out the travel industry.

As I said a few posts ago, I forsee Disney dropping the free Dining promo for good in 3 years tops because of what happened this year and from what everybody's been saying, years past. And you're right, we can only imagine what TA's like the ones at Dreams Unlimited are going through for something they have no control over, its not fair.

I heard Pete's comments twice. I listened first, but then went back to watch him on YouTube in order to see his facial expressions and read his body language. I couldn't agree more with his comments and felt like he was right on the money. Disney makes all kinds of controversial changes and then blames it on Guest Demand. They could make this process smooth as silk, but choose not to so you will get disgusted and walk away.

Personally, although I attend WDW during Free Dining season (usually Columbus Day weekend) I was glad to see my dates were excluded this time. I don't use the Free Dining, but find that the "sense of entitlement" bleeds into everything else. I have often been shoved out of the way at the coffee bar, had people reach over my daughter's head with hot coffee in their hand to reach creamer or sugar, just a "me first" and screw you attitude. It just gets to be too much.

I'm hoping for that Disney feeling of days gone by and kindness that you don't always get in the real world, which is one of the things that keeps me coming back to Disney. I found that feeling over and over again in Disneyland last year. I hope I am not disappointed by WDW.

I'm not sure they would eliminate FD altogether. I'm sure they'll continue to make it more elusive and possibly put more "strings attached" (such as they did requiring the hopper and/or water parks). However, the next economic recession is almost always just around the corner. And given the insane trajectory with which they have rasied prices the last 3-4 years (and this absolutely goes for DCL as well), they will be hit, hard, by the next recession and will still need FD in their repertoire when that recession does come.

Last edited:
These boards and other boards like it are only a small % of the Disney client. Bottomline Disney doesn't have to offer us a damn thing, yet people are getting indignant because the sale doesn't apply to them, or wasn't what people expected. It is what it is. If you don't like it, don't buy a vacation in January expecting for a spectacular deal to show up for when you travel. Disney has every right to switch the game.

These boards are littered with complaints of every kind. Nobody ever does anything about it. Everybody keeps buying tickets and staying at the resorts. There are so many threats of boycotts and the like. Nobody would actually follow through. If tickets doubled in price today, everyone would still buy them. Disney can offer crappy service because we allow it.

There's an old saying in psychology circles: "You teach others how to treat you." Meaning, if you let others walk all over you, they will. We have taught Disney that it's ok to treat us like this. We will gladly wait on the phone for hours and pay ridiculous prices just to be a part of the Disney experience. In a way, it is WE who are treating OURSELVES poorly.

Not all of us do this.

My reaction to Disney's higher resort and food prices is to stay off site more often and eat off site more often. (I have been to all the Tijuana Flats near WDW.) And when I stay onsite, DW and I drive down so I'm not paying for a flight or rental car.

I'm under no illusion that Disney notices my cutback in spending. It appears to me that their primary emphasis is in generating new guest visits or the return of a guest who only visits every 5 years or so.

Those of us who have the affliction of having to go annually (or more often than that), just are not enough of a market force for Disney to notice.

Those of us who have the affliction of having to go annually (or more often than that), just are not enough of a market force for Disney to notice.
I think there is enough but we won't stop going and they know it. All of the changes lately have been to attract newbies and every couple year travellers who spend $5000 plus on a single trip versus the rest of us who do $1000 plus each year. They aren't worrying about attracting us because they're getting our money regardless. The days of them caring about the fanatics are long gone.

I think a lot of the problems that seem to come up with free dining now are with how people try and book it. For example people will book a place holder reservation room only when the rates come out and change it to a package when one comes out sounds greet right. The only problem is in Disney's computer system it see the room as being booked just like how the cruise line system used to with the old system for place holder cruises. Now unlike with the cruise lien WDW resorts doesn't know that you are holding that booking until something else come along as they aren't set up the same way. Think of it as trying to get rate on expida for a hotel that you know dates are sold out on there website already you might get lucky and get one but if a hotel is booked then why do they need someone to pay a discounted rate to fill a room?

I didn't book free dining, but I did get a summer room discount.
Part of the problem is that there is a booking advantage for ADRs and other recreational experiences if you have a reservation. If I had waited until the discount was announced to book, then I would have not got some of my ADRs (and I would have had to call every day for 9 days at the 180 mark).
However, I was willing to pay the price I booked at.

ETA: Also, I booked before the ticket prices went up. So if I had waited to book in hopes of a discount, and then no discount happened, I actually would have paid more.

I'd be curious to see how many ADRs open up during the blackout dates now that some people will have to cancel due to not being able to afford to go this year. And for those that noce their trip to the FD dates, how much they'll even be able to utilize the FD due to so many people booking TS ADRs in that time

These boards and other boards like it are only a small % of the Disney client. Bottomline Disney doesn't have to offer us a damn thing, yet people are getting indignant because the sale doesn't apply to them, or wasn't what people expected. It is what it is. If you don't like it, don't buy a vacation in January expecting for a spectacular deal to show up for when you travel. Disney has every right to switch the game.
Pete's Rant had nothing to do with being indignant about the sale not applying to certain people or not being what was expected. It was about the fact that Disney's systems crashed yet again because their infrastructure can't handle the demand placed on it when these things are announced.

As I said a few posts ago, I forsee Disney dropping the free Dining promo for good in 3 years tops because of what happened this year and from what everybody's been saying, years past. And you're right, we can only imagine what TA's like the ones at Dreams Unlimited are going through for something they have no control over, its not fair.

I don't think it is going to take 3 years. My prediction is that we have seen the last genuine free dining promotion this year. There will always be discounts and promotions to fill hotel rooms but I think the free dining plan as we know it will be no more. i think at some point this year, they will no longer allow customers to book the bounce back free dining offer while onsite.

Pete's Rant had nothing to do with being indignant about the sale not applying to certain people or not being what was expected. It was about the fact that Disney's systems crashed yet again because their infrastructure can't handle the demand placed on it when these things are announced.
I didn't say Pete's statement was about that. I was only stating MY opinion of what seems to be happening. People were on hold for 3 and 4 hours only to be told what they wanted wasn't there. Then they were upset! Like disney did them an injustice?

I don't think it is going to take 3 years. My prediction is that we have seen the last genuine free dining promotion this year. There will always be discounts and promotions to fill hotel rooms but I think the free dining plan as we know it will be no more. i think at some point this year, they will no longer allow customers to book the bounce back free dining offer while onsite.
I kinda agree, though I could see them keeping the bounce back because you would have to be within the resort to even get it. In that there is a win win.

You all have brought up some really great points. We knew we were going in Nov. w/ my parents, who have their own reservation, so we booked the day before ticket prices came up. My family of 4 went last year in March & paid for dining just to make it easier, first trip probably last trip just to take our 8 & 9 year old boys. But obviously we're going back, and bring in two more. Both of our groups booked MYW and added DDP b/c my parents really liked the idea of the prepaid meals. They haven't been since they took me for 1 day to MK in Early 90's.

I watched these boards just as a newbie after making our reservation and got some wonderful info, and found out our 11/13-11/21 dates might be free dining eligible. I happened to be able to snag it for both of us that morning only through the modify reservation button before 6a.m. I realize how super extremely lucky we are after watching the boards & other sites that day and the rest of the week. I honestly don't know how I got it, for 2 reservations. My mother cannot believe how much has changed. She is so excited to go back, but cannot believe the pricing & planning that we are doing. She's going to celebrate her retirement in Oct. but otherwise wouldn't go if I was able to plan it all. She is so confused by the ADR, FP+ & so on. Now she isn't ancient, works w/ computers all the time but gets so worried when looking at the site or app b/c it freezes & glitches on her just when she's browsing trying to get info for our trip.

I've told my parents not to plan of FD ever again. But I don't know if they really understand the chaos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter