Thanks from a Louisiana Girl

J&L Love Disney

Mouseketeer
I just want to thank the past and future brides on the DisBoards for the support and encouragement I have been given this past week. It has meant more than I can say.

I live between New Orleans and Baton Rouge and sustained damage to my home. But I am one of the lucky ones. I have a home to return to and have not lost any of my family members. I'm really blessed. I do have family, including my sister, who have most assuredly lost everything. Please keep them and all of those affected by this tragedy in your thoughts and prayers.

And also, please think of those who are assisting in the relief effort in Louisiana and Mississippi. They really need strength right now to continue in the dangerous, emotional and difficult job ahead.

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

Lisa

PS For those who have asked, Our VR will be rescheduled from this December to hopefully May 2006.

Lisa...I am so glad that everything is ok!! You know I am thinking of you, and that I will be in touch!

Ohh, Lisa! I am thinking of you and your family! I am so sorry for your sister
:( Is there much to do to repair your home?

I did not even realize you would have to reschedule your VR. Well, spring is a time for rebirth, so May would be a great month for that :goodvibes

Everyone in that area is in my family's prayers :grouphug:

You know....this is kind of a weird idea but just read on and tell me what you think. I live in Wilmington, Delaware and people in my area have been trying to figure out just how to help out. We can donate money, but what else can we really do. If you know specific individuals, like your sister, that have certain needs (beddings, clothes, whatever) you can give us a list and an address and maybe we can start sending some things Fed Ex. I know that we would need a place to send them, but like you said yourself you have a house to return to. We could send you stuff for your sister. If you know someone else that needs specific things, we could send their stuff to one of their family members. Just a thought. I work for a very big bank and there are literally thousands of people at my site that are sitting around waiting for a way to jump in and help. We just don't know what to do. What do you think?

Fantastic Idea! How generous of you. Thank you so much.

Today I will research and call around to see exactly what is needed and where to send it. Even here there are so many different organizations collecting, sheltering, etc. it is confusing for me. Most of these organizations are asking for money, but there are shelters, individuals and organizations that need physical items. I know today in my neighborhood there is a collection of items like bedding, clothing, personal items i.e. underwear, socks, toothpaste, hairbrushes....anything you can think of you use daily, toys for children, and school supplies for those children that are relocating to local schools.

I really appreciate your generous offer. I will definitely take you up on it. I will PM you later today with the best info.

My sister's situation is a little different than some. She is actually mentally challenged and living in a group home in the Slidell area. She, some of her fellow roommates and their Group Home Manager are stuck in Tunica, MS right now. They are all doing fine, but have been told the damage to the group home (which is a regular house in a neighborhood) is extensive. I know they will need clothing and others items and will speak to Joyce, the House Manager, and find out what they need and when they will be in the area. If they don't come back soon, I will go to them. I think they plan to stay there for now since they are safe and they are receiving some assistance from the local residents. However, once they come back to our area they will need extra help. My sister will be fine, but some of the other women that live there don't have family or have families that don't care or visit.

Again, thank you very much for your very kind offer. Speak to you soon.

Lisa

I have done some checking around our area and believe it or not, all of our shelters have MORE than they need. Isn't that fantastic!!!!

All of the individuals I have been in touch with or heard about are all being covered by family, friends or other help.

The local Red Cross suggested that if people want to donate things other than money, they should call/go to their local Red Cross and donate through them letting them know that the donation is for Hurricane Katrina.

On a personal note, I know that my sister and her roommates will need help, but I haven't spoken to them yet. When I find out what they need, I'll get in touch.

Thanks to all of you that have offered assistance. I made another thread listing local organizations in my area that need and will distribute assistance.

Lisa

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let me know what i can do.

Take Care of Yourself!!

We are collecting things to take to our local Red Cross. My husband has been loading his trailer up with donations of water, clothes, food, etc. and we are going to take it over as soon as it is full.

Please let us know what we can send to your sister or your neighbors. I will start another care box for you guys and fedex it down as soon as we have your go ahead.

Keep strong, keep safe, and keep praying. We are...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter