Thank God I Booked JetBlue!

suemom2kay

DIS Veteran
So I was hemming and hawing last night and today on whether I should go with AirTran out of the small local (15 minute drive) or fly out of Newark or Philly. Well Philly fares for Southwest for June were already too high. AirTran had some decent flights, but I have never had an easy time getting to Philly - EVER!

Newark was about $40 cheaper per person, not including AirTran's lovely seat or luggage fees. I hated the sardine can feeling on AirTran when we flew them last September. But parking at Newark Airport is expensive.

Well today, I was looking in the morning still undecided. JetBlue had $98 each way with free seats/1 bag checked for free vs. AirTran at $117 + $20 Bag & $6 seat fee. I really disliked the carryon shuffle that we had previously. So, I guess you can see where I was leaning. :rotfl: The kicker is DH hates traveling so the local airport is very very appealing to him...

So there I was undecided. Got to really think about the checked luggage free seats. Also was waiting for DD's friend's info from her Mom. During that time JetBlue's airfare went down another $3 each way - BONUS. There was now a >$200 gap in airfare, plus $120-$180 in baggage depending on how many bags we checked and $96 in seat fees. We're bringing a 10 year old family friend so we definitely can't gamble on being separated. AirTran's fees really add up quick.

Parking at Newark will be ~$76 for the week so in light of all the other fees above, doesn't really sound expensive anymore...

So I went ahead and booked JetBlue and thank God I did because AirTran went and changed the flight time on the way back! I unfortunately work weekends only and used RCI to book my vacation and cannot take more than 1 weekend off in a 4 week period. Sometimes I can get it to work where I have 2 weekends off in a row, but it has to be between schedules and those times just didn't work with our family.

In order to be on time back to work, I would have to leave Orlando at 8:55 :scared1: They added an afternoon flight but that would be cutting it way too close for a 12 hour night shift.

So anyway, the moral of the story is... I need to ALWAYS remember AirTran LOVES to and ALWAYS will change their flight times. I'm so glad I booked with JetBlue. We'll have TV, Radio, Roomier seats and a much better time.

Please tell me that Southwest isn't always changing their flights. I'm hoping things get better if they keep our little airport after the full changeover...

I think that's the end... :rotfl2: Someday I'll tell you about the old man on our flight back home on AirTran last September.... It's a good one! :thumbsup2

So I was hemming and hawing last night and today on whether I should go with AirTran out of the small local (15 minute drive) or fly out of Newark or Philly. Well Philly fares for Southwest for June were already too high. AirTran had some decent flights, but I have never had an easy time getting to Philly - EVER!

Newark was about $40 cheaper per person, not including AirTran's lovely seat or luggage fees. I hated the sardine can feeling on AirTran when we flew them last September. But parking at Newark Airport is expensive.

Well today, I was looking in the morning still undecided. JetBlue had $98 each way with free seats/1 bag checked for free vs. AirTran at $117 + $20 Bag & $6 seat fee. I really disliked the carryon shuffle that we had previously. So, I guess you can see where I was leaning. :rotfl: The kicker is DH hates traveling so the local airport is very very appealing to him...

So there I was undecided. Got to really think about the checked luggage free seats. Also was waiting for DD's friend's info from her Mom. During that time JetBlue's airfare went down another $3 each way - BONUS. There was now a >$200 gap in airfare, plus $120-$180 in baggage depending on how many bags we checked and $96 in seat fees. We're bringing a 10 year old family friend so we definitely can't gamble on being separated. AirTran's fees really add up quick.

Parking at Newark will be ~$76 for the week so in light of all the other fees above, doesn't really sound expensive anymore...

So I went ahead and booked JetBlue and thank God I did because AirTran went and changed the flight time on the way back! I unfortunately work weekends only and used RCI to book my vacation and cannot take more than 1 weekend off in a 4 week period. Sometimes I can get it to work where I have 2 weekends off in a row, but it has to be between schedules and those times just didn't work with our family.

In order to be on time back to work, I would have to leave Orlando at 8:55 :scared1: They added an afternoon flight but that would be cutting it way too close for a 12 hour night shift.

So anyway, the moral of the story is... I need to ALWAYS remember AirTran LOVES to and ALWAYS will change their flight times. I'm so glad I booked with JetBlue. We'll have TV, Radio, Roomier seats and a much better time.

Please tell me that Southwest isn't always changing their flights. I'm hoping things get better if they keep our little airport after the full changeover...

I think that's the end... :rotfl2: Someday I'll tell you about the old man on our flight back home on AirTran last September.... It's a good one! :thumbsup2

Southwest rarely, if ever, changes their flights. Obviously, in the case of severe weather or an emergency, they do change.

I find it ironic that the one airline that never changes the schedule once it's published -- Southwest -- is taking over the airline that has the worst reputation for constantly changing flight schedules -- Air Tran.

We don't have Jet Blue here, but our choice was Air Tran from our local airport or driving 3-4 hours to Kansas City to get Southwest. We went with Southwest. I dislike Air Tran's policies and had a bad experience with them, but the deciding factor was direct out of KC vs. connecting from home. We really like Southwest!

Thanks for your replies everyone. I look forward to flying Southwest hopefully by next year (2013).

AirTran has been pulling out of some of the smaller airports, so there's no guarantee that Southwest will move into Bethlehem, especially since they are in EWR and PHL.

I flew PIT-ABE a couple of times on business about 6 years ago on a small prop. The next time I had to go, USAir pulled the flights and I had to fly to EWR and drive 1 1/2 hours. Seemed to make more sense than connecting in PHL (where I always had bad luck).

AirTran has been pulling out of some of the smaller airports, so there's no guarantee that Southwest will move into Bethlehem, especially since they are in EWR and PHL.

I know... keep waiting for that dreaded e-mail that they're pulling out of ABE. I don't think I've ever gone to Philly and NOT hit a WALL of traffic. At least we have JetBlue and EWR is 1 hour & 15 without traffic so not so bad. Something about that 15 minute drive to the airport though that is really appealing! We shall see what they do!

I just moved out of Bethlehem last year! LOVE that town! Where abouts in Bethlehem are you? I was in the Wagner Farms subdivision!

While JetBlue is my preferred airline-wish ABE(my preferred airport) would get them! Just be warned they have changed my flight time several times for my upcoming trip. One of them being a couple hours different and requiring me to have to take an extra day off of work.
Make sure you really allow PLENTY of time to to get to Newark. We almost missed our flight last time because of traffic. Luckily our flight was delayed 90 minutes. Did not know it though while we were sweating it in traffic.

I know... keep waiting for that dreaded e-mail that they're pulling out of ABE. I don't think I've ever gone to Philly and NOT hit a WALL of traffic. At least we have JetBlue and EWR is 1 hour & 15 without traffic so not so bad. Something about that 15 minute drive to the airport though that is really appealing! We shall see what they do!

On SW site it nows list ABE. I called SW to see when they will be taking over Airtrans flights out of ABE and she could not give me the answer as she stated that In February they are starting to take Airtrans flights out of Atlanta. She did state that as of now there are no plans to pull out of ABE. Lets hope that stays true.

My DH is one who likes the convenience of flying out of ABE as we are about 15 to 20 minutes away but with taking SW home from our trip in October he is all for flying out of Philly with them in Sept

On SW site it nows list ABE. I called SW to see when they will be taking over Airtrans flights out of ABE and she could not give me the answer as she stated that In February they are starting to take Airtrans flights out of Atlanta. She did state that as of now there are no plans to pull out of ABE. Lets hope that stays true.

My DH is one who likes the convenience of flying out of ABE as we are about 15 to 20 minutes away but with taking SW home from our trip in October he is all for flying out of Philly with them in Sept

Well this is promising news. Thanks for posting! Let's hope!!! :banana:

IMHO, even if JetBlue were more, I would probably still buy from them. I love JB, you cannot beat the following perks:
  1. Free assigned seats
  2. First bag free
  3. TVs and Sirius in every seat
  4. Free snacks
Fortunately though, we live fairly close to IAD, one of JBs hubs.

IMHO, even if JetBlue were more, I would probably still buy from them. I love JB, you cannot beat the following perks:
  1. Free assigned seats
  2. First bag free
  3. TVs and Sirius in every seat
  4. Free snacks
Fortunately though, we live fairly close to IAD, one of JBs hubs.

Wow..really? For every flight?? After seeing the this thread I just checked their website for the first time and like the prices! We live near PHL too and have driven as far as BWI and Dulles for a cheap flight! I would gladly drive to EWR for a $95 flight...plus the above perks? Man I wish I had some extra cash today! DH wants to wait till tax return to book June flights. I hope there's some good deals then.

Though Southwest sometimes includes multiple stops on their cheaper flights, I find their customer service always top notch!

Wow..really? For every flight?? After seeing the this thread I just checked their website for the first time and like the prices! We live near PHL too and have driven as far as BWI and Dulles for a cheap flight! I would gladly drive to EWR for a $95 flight...plus the above perks? Man I wish I had some extra cash today! DH wants to wait till tax return to book June flights. I hope there's some good deals then.

Yep, every flight! Plus, if you book through JB and the price is lowered, they will issue you a credit. On our last flight, we also got a $50 credit per ticket because our plane was delayed 2 hours due to mechanical problems. I have flown on many different airlines over the years and none of them do customer service better than JB. I just wish they flew more places!

Jet Blue has also changed my trip twice already- but in a good way- earlier departure way down. later deptarture way home :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter