Thank God For Trip Insurance; Our Merry Land/Sea! (Two new updates October 3)

We left off at the Norway ride Maelstrom currently late for our dinner reservations at Teppan Edo. So as our little boat was coming to the end we saw the theatre doors open and people walking in. As soon as we got off our boat we ran for the doors just as they were closing.:eek: We tried to go through the exit doors and a cast member wouldn’t let us even though we told him we were late for our reservations. I’m not sure how long the wait is. The Cast Member said two minutes, it was definitely much more than 2 minutes and felt like forever as we were waiting for those doors to open.
Finally the doors opened and we rushed through to make our way to Japan. We had to pass the large crowd around America that was gathering to line up for the first CP show. It was crowded and took quite a while to make it to Teppan Edo. We finally made it and I think by the time I checked in we were about 20 minutes late. Ironically as we came in another party was being turned away because they were too late. They were told that their reservations had been given to someone else. I went up to another lady who took my name and reservation time and did not mention at all that we were late. Thank Goodness!

This was our first time dining at TE and can I just say that it is now on my must do list! We all loved it. DH was a bit scared of this place as he does not enjoy oriental food. I told him I’ve heard they have the best steak. He ordered the filet minon and confirmed that indeed it was the best steak he had for the entire trip. Our waitress made the girls’ chopsticks stick together on an end so they could eat with them.
132.jpg

The Chef was very entertaining. Here’s the onion volcano.
131.jpg

We enjoyed visiting with our table mates. We sat with a couple women and a single man and single woman who were each traveling alone. Everyone was a Disney vet so we had some good conversations. The women were going on a back to back Magic Cruise this summer. (I’m jealous) A good time was had by all and it was great food! DD8 is a very picky eater. She didn't like all the sesame seeds but everyone left with a full stomach.
133.jpg

As we walked out they were about to begin the second showing of Candlelight Processional. We found room at the rope for standing room only. We enjoyed the first couple songs but Faith kept moaning out loud, “I’m bored”. I was glad we did not stand in line for over an hour because while it was beautiful it is true that young children get bored fast. As we were watching I was holding Faith up. This young teenage couple motioned for a friend who had been out getting a drink to come join them. So, he cut through the crowd and proceeded to come stand in front of me. By that time I’d been standing there for over 15 minutes holding my not too light 5 year old. He completely blocked our view. So, I said, “I am sorry but I hope you’re not planning on standing there.” I will give the young man credit he immediately moved out of the crowd and to the back. I think it was more the young couple that were rude in thinking they could motion him to stand right in front of me. So, glad we got to take in some of the Candlelight Processional, we moved on.
135.jpg

As we were passing Germany we saw people gathering for the storyteller and waited to hear her speak. All I remember about her was how many times she mentioned “gluevine” (No idea how it is actually spelled.) Their special wine. We got a great shot with her and the nutcracker though.
141.jpg

Then we made our way to Mexico and saw the Mexico wise men storytellers out.
144.jpg

We stopped in Mexico to go ride the cute little boat ride.
149.jpg

We then decided to call it a night to Epcot and head out the International Gateway to check out Boardwalk. We had never used the International Gateway. We had to ask where it was. As we headed out DH asked the lady what ride we were entering. She looked worried but quickly realized he was teasing.;)

We had never been out on Boardwalk at all and I had heard that it could be a fun atmosphere at night. It was fun for all of us to discover a new area of Disney we had never seen. It is quite beautiful at night.

151.jpg

We went in to Boardwalk and discovered this beautiful completely edible gingerbread display.
156.jpg

The girls loved all the little kid sized chairs around Boardwalk both inside and out.
158.jpg

164.jpg

Boardwalk is fun at night we saw a couple different street performers with a crowd. It’s a lot calmer atmosphere than in the parks. After exploring Boardwalk for a while we made our way to the ferry that takes you to Hollywood Studios!
166.jpg

This was another first for us. It was a beautiful ride. The girls wanted to sit in the outside portion. It was a warm night so we sat out there and enjoyed the view as we slowly floated to Hollywood Studios.

We arrived about 15 minutes early for the DIS TSM party! We had such a great time. It was a unique experience being in Hollywood Studios after it was closed for the day. I have great video of us leaving with completely empty streets that I’ll try to get up.

It looked like a lot of people when we were all at the gate but quickly dispersed and TSM was never more than 5-10 minute wait.
169.jpg

171.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

We learned a new trick from the Cast Member. She said that getting a high score is really team work. Your score will be much higher if you sit with someone else who scores well. Together you both open up more high scoring targets. So, DH and I played together while the girls played together. We all improved our scores by about double before the night was over.

The only real line we stood in was the character greeting line. We got in line for Buzz and Woody but it was switched out before we got up there. That was okay, we’ve seen Buzz and Woody but have never had Jessie and Bullseye so it was a new photo op for us!
182-1.jpg

There were great food items available which was great because so far we had had a late breakfast, early dinner(lunch), so this became dinner.

We were all pretty tired and ready to go when the girls became enthralled by the balloon man. He was very talented. I however, was really tired and tried to bribe the girls with the offer of buying a Mickey balloon in MK but they would not budge.

Finally after a very long wait the girls had their balloons.
186.jpg

The Mickey balloons he made were particularly impressive.
188.jpg

So, we ended our very magical first LONG day at Disney by walking alone through Hollywood Studios after midnight. It was such an unique and sureal experience. Here is a video of us leaving Hollywood Studios with completely empty streets. Just another of many magical moments!

While waiting for the bus Faith once again drifted off to sleep. I was glad she had gotten in her power nap earlier that day because after that she really was a trooper.
194.jpg

Hope was very exhausted at this point and she lay on the concrete with her head in my lap until the bus arrived.

Next up: MVMCP!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear you made your TE reservation after all! Those places are soooooo fun!

Faith looked tired in the pic where she's holding her balloon.

I LOVE reading this TR. Brings back all my memories from our Christmas trip last year. :D

Great update. Loved the Gingerbread house!

That was one serious onion volcano!

I've never heard of the Dis party. How did you get in for that?

The Boardwalk was beautiful. We didn't make it there this last time. Maybe next trip.

That Mickey balloon WAS very impressive!

Can't wait to hear more.

I've started a tr also. If you get a minute, stop by!

WOW!! This update is packed full!! You got so much done that night! We want to visit the Boardwalk as well in May. It looks really pretty!! LOVE the gingerbread house--sooo cute!! What a fun time you had in HS!! TSM looks like sooo much fun--can't wait to ride that in May! And the Jessie/Bullseye photo op is sooo cute!! I'm not sure I've ever seen pics with them before!! :goodvibes Can't wait to hear about MVMCP!!!

Glad you made it to your Teppan Edo ressie, that is one of our favorite!! That onion volcano was massive!! How fun to be at DHS after closing. Can't wait to read more.

Melissa

Wow - what a rockin' night that was!

Glad to hear you liked Teppan Edo. I was leaning towards it, and your review doesn't hurt at all. Now the struggle to try and fit it into our schedule!:scared:

I love that walk at night from Epcot to BC-YC and BW. It is so beautiful and relaxing!

So jealous that you attended Dis-a-palooza. Did you see anyone you knew from the Boards?

I heard from the podcast how incredible the balloon man was but wasn't prepared for that incredible Mickey balloon. Amazing! I am like your daughters - I totally would have waiting in line for one!

Looking forward to the MVMCP update!:goodvibes

Just got caught up on both your pre trip and trip report. Can't wait to see how the cruise went- and the said 'hiccups' that added a day or two to your trip. popcorn::

That Mickey balloon was great! WOW! Teppan Edo is becoming the go to place these days. You used to be able to walk right in but not now. I'm a little bored with the presentation now that we go all the time but the food is so good. I think we ate there three times this past trip!

Oh, no more trip reports for me. Kind of got burnt out on them. Started a food review and never finished it. I keep saying that I will since we did the Grand Gatherings. I want to help people see what those were all about but I can't make myself do it. I'm trying to keep up with my reading though. ;)

Teppan Edo was on my list too for this upcoming April trip. However, we went to a local hibatchi resturant a few months ago and DS4 freaked out:scared1: when he saw all the fire.

When they came to our table I had to go outside with him he was screaming so loud. Oh well ....maybe we can try it in a few years.

:surfweb:Can't wait to read more. I can't believe all you did that first night. :thumbsup2 That's great.

Glad to hear you made your TE reservation after all! Those places are soooooo fun!

Faith looked tired in the pic where she's holding her balloon.

I LOVE reading this TR. Brings back all my memories from our Christmas trip last year. :D

Christmas time is beautiful in WDW.:goodvibes

Great update. Loved the Gingerbread house!

That was one serious onion volcano!

I've never heard of the Dis party. How did you get in for that?

The Boardwalk was beautiful. We didn't make it there this last time. Maybe next trip.

That Mickey balloon WAS very impressive!

Can't wait to hear more.

I've started a tr also. If you get a minute, stop by!

You must not listen to their podcast. I heard about the party on the podcast. They are really fun to listen to and have a good sense of humor. By switching our res. under dreamsunliminted we got to do the party for FREE!:banana:

WOW!! This update is packed full!! You got so much done that night! We want to visit the Boardwalk as well in May. It looks really pretty!! LOVE the gingerbread house--sooo cute!! What a fun time you had in HS!! TSM looks like sooo much fun--can't wait to ride that in May! And the Jessie/Bullseye photo op is sooo cute!! I'm not sure I've ever seen pics with them before!! :goodvibes Can't wait to hear about MVMCP!!!

Yep, it was a great first night.:thumbsup2

Glad you made it to your Teppan Edo ressie, that is one of our favorite!! That onion volcano was massive!! How fun to be at DHS after closing. Can't wait to read more.

Melissa

Loved the onion volcano!

Wow - what a rockin' night that was!

Glad to hear you liked Teppan Edo. I was leaning towards it, and your review doesn't hurt at all. Now the struggle to try and fit it into our schedule!:scared:

I love that walk at night from Epcot to BC-YC and BW. It is so beautiful and relaxing!

So jealous that you attended Dis-a-palooza. Did you see anyone you knew from the Boards?

I heard from the podcast how incredible the balloon man was but wasn't prepared for that incredible Mickey balloon. Amazing! I am like your daughters - I totally would have waiting in line for one!

Looking forward to the MVMCP update!:goodvibes

You're funny.:lmao: Too bad we had to leave the balloons behind when we went on the cruise. I was surprised that the whole night at the TSM party I only saw two families I recognized from the boards. I knew of others that were there but never noticed them.

Just got caught up on both your pre trip and trip report. Can't wait to see how the cruise went- and the said 'hiccups' that added a day or two to your trip. popcorn::
Thanks for reading along and posting.:goodvibes

Great update. Glad you liked Teppan Edo. Looks like a fun time at DHS!!

Teppan Edo is great!

That Mickey balloon was great! WOW! Teppan Edo is becoming the go to place these days. You used to be able to walk right in but not now. I'm a little bored with the presentation now that we go all the time but the food is so good. I think we ate there three times this past trip!

Oh, no more trip reports for me. Kind of got burnt out on them. Started a food review and never finished it. I keep saying that I will since we did the Grand Gatherings. I want to help people see what those were all about but I can't make myself do it. I'm trying to keep up with my reading though. ;)

Yep, I was surprised to find that this was the first visit where some of the new excitement was gone ever so slightly. I think we are planning to wait until after 2012 to return to WDW when the new Fantasyland is complete. We are however hoping to do another Disney Cruise before then. I do miss your TRs though.

Teppan Edo was on my list too for this upcoming April trip. However, we went to a local hibatchi resturant a few months ago and DS4 freaked out:scared1: when he saw all the fire.

When they came to our table I had to go outside with him he was screaming so loud. Oh well ....maybe we can try it in a few years.

:surfweb:Can't wait to read more. I can't believe all you did that first night. :thumbsup2 That's great.

Oh, your poor son. I guess it's good you figured that out before being at WDW.:goodvibes

Oh darn...I was hoping to see your TR for this visit.

I know what you mean about TR burn out though...I have only done reports for 2 of my last 6 trips. They definitely are time-consuming. It's been quite awhile since my last one though so I think I might do one for our next trip in April.;)

I hope you reconsider on your Grand Gathering trip...that would be a different perspective and I would love to hear your take on it!;)

In the meantime, I am so glad I have another one of Brooke's great reports to read! Can't wait for more!:goodvibes

Well, I'm going to take advantage of these last couple leisurely days before school resumes to update some more magical memories.

The plans for today were to sleep in as long as we possibly could then either go to AK or hang out at the pool before MVMCP. Unfortunately for some reason I slept miserably, or really didn't sleep. I ended up getting up super early before 6 after not sleeping well. I went and got some coffee and bought some post cards. I sat by the pool on a nice warm December morning and filled out a few postcards. I remember sending a text to my mother with a picture of people in the pool and a note about the wonderful weather. I then realized it was 5 a.m. back home ooops.
197.jpg

After sipping my coffee by the pool I suddenly felt very tired and realized that there was no way I would make it today if I didn't force myself to get some rest. Two nights of not sleeping was starting to take it's tole. So, I made my way back to the room where everyone was still sleeping and fell asleep. About 30 minutes later they started waking up but I still felt so drained and tired. DH volunteered to take them to the pool while I tried to get some rest. After about an hour I made my way down to the pool to see how they were all doing. It was SOOO HOT and sunny, loved it!:beach: The girls were loving it too.
199.jpg

198.jpg

So, I gave the girls the choice of visiting AK for a little bit before MVMCP or swimming longer. They chose swimming. So, DH and I hung out in the glorious heat near the pool and sipped our coffee while the girls had a blast swimming.

I had made reservations at Whispering Canyon for late lunch (2:30) just in case. These reservations turned out to be perfect.

We headed back to the room, showered, and the girls opened another gift.The gifts were the holiday dresses they are wearing and the Mickey Santa Hats.
207.jpg

By then it was about 1:40 and we were worried about making the reservations in time. We would have to take a bus to MK then wait for a ferry boat to Wilderness Lodge. We decided that we would just take a taxi to insure we didn't miss the res. This was our first family taxi ride in Orlando and I was in cloud 9 with how convenient it was. You just walk out to the front and tell the bellman you need a taxi, he waves over a waiting taxi with his Mickey hand, and opens the door for you all while he tells the taxi driver where to take us. Our taxi driver didn't say one word but he did slow down when he realized I was taking a picture of the MK entrance.
210.jpg

The girls were thrilled to be in a taxi too. Too funny.:goodvibes
208.jpg

I had to take this picture of DH sitting in the front with his Mickey Santa hat.:rotfl2:
209.jpg

We were dropped off right out front of the Wilderness Lodge. I can't remember exactly but it was between $15-20 just like I've read in other reports. Totally worth it if you're looking to avoid long transit or are in a hurry. I could not believe when we entered the resort that it was not yet 2 p.m. We were now 30 minutes early.:cool1: We had never seen the geyser so I took the family out back in search of seeing the geyser erupt at the top of the hour.
214.jpg

No one else was very fascinated by it but I was glad I got to see it. We then took a couple of pictures in front of the tree before checking in early.
218.jpg

DH helped the girls build cabins with the logs.
222.jpg

This is the beautiful view I had from my seating area as I dined.
223.jpg

The girls enjoyed running around the room on the horses.
224.jpg

I only take a picture of especially pretty food. This was DH's desert. yummy
225.jpg

Overall we thought our lunch here was okay but not worth our table service dining credits. The bill was only $60. If we'd been thinking we should have paid OOP and kept the table service credits. We didn't see any of the fun stuff like carrying ketchup from table to table or super big forks. Our waitress did not interact with us in the fun ways I saw some other servers doing. I was glad to see the resort and especially the beautiful Christmas tree. If we ever do lunch here again we will pay OOP.

This is my husband acting goofy. This is not a genuine smile.:laughing:
226.jpg

We've seen this totem pole in so many TRs so it was fun to actually pose by it.
228-1.jpg

By this time it was about 3:30 and time for us to head to the boat dock for MVMCP!:santa:

When we entered the park we saw this sign.
230-1.jpg

SOLD OUT!:scared1: I was a little nervous about how the crowds would be.

As we made our way into Liberty Square I could hear the Princess Tiana showboat Jubilee playing!! What a fun time for us to arrive. The ferry was coming back after completing it's round. We found a nice spot on the ledge and the girls (and I):blush: eagerly waved at Princess Tiana
232-1.jpg

We then realized we were right near where they would be coming off the boat and moved to be standing right up front where the danced their way off the boat, singing. It was too fun and the perfect start to our MK day!
235-1.jpg

234-1.jpg

233-1.jpg

After getting our first glimpse at Princess Tiana we headed to Fronteirland in hopes of getting FPs for Splash Mtn. As we were parking the stroller I realized I was missing the video camera.:scared1: In my excitement to get closer to the Princess I had left it on the ledge. So, we hurried our way back through the crowd and to the ledge where I had left it to find that it was no longer there.:eek: DH kept his calm and found the closest CM who confirmed indeed it had been turned in and she grabbed it from back where the Liberty boat docks.:cool1: Hurray, it is still a Disney Day!
We were surprised to see the wait for Splash Mtn was only 15 minutes so we hopped in line.
237-1.jpg

238-1.jpg

We got soaked. Way more than we had ever before. Either we've been lucky in the past or we were really unlucky this time. As the girls said, they were soaked down to their panties.:rotfl2: Good thing it was a hot December day!
241-1.jpg

Next we made our way to one of Hope's favorites; BTMR.
242-1.jpg

We were suprised at how small the lines were. We imagined that it must have been a pretty light day at the MK and wondered if it would get more crowded as the party folks arrived.

By now it was starting to get dark. DH and the girls got some roasted almonds and I got a Dole Whip as we made our way to the front of the castle for the castle lighting!

Up Next:hourglass The official start of MVMCP:santa:

You were smart to eat at Whispering Canyon since WL is decorated so beautifully for Christmas!! :thumbsup2 I'll have to remember that for next year!! :goodvibes How cool that you got to see Tiana!! I'm really hoping that they extend this show so we can see it in May! My girls would LOVE it!! Can't wait to hear about MVMCP!! Oh--and the Mickey Santa hats are adorable as are the girls in their red dresses and scarves!! I bought my girls those hats when they went on clearance and when they were doing the free personalization online (had the girls names put in them all for $4.99). Unfortunately, I wished I had gotten the adult size for Ally as her hat doesn't stay on real well. Claire's fits great!!

WL looked heavenly!

The santa ear hats and dresses are too cute.

I'm very interested to hear how the party was. Our party wasn't even sold out and it was way too crowded for me.

I decided it was time to come out of lurkdom and say hi. I am enjoying your report because it is easy to see how much you love your family.

How fun that you came upon Princess Tiana! I felt your panic when you left your camera bag. I left my bag on Dumbo and I was just sick about it. Thankfully someone had turned it in as well.

I can't wait to hear more!

Great update!

Sorry your experience at WC wasn't the best...that's 2 not so great reviews for it I've heard in the last 2 days. Both were lunches so I think if we go I will be sure to go for supper instead.;)

Thank goodness someone turned in your video camera!!! I know from experience how devestating it can be to lose a camera on a trip.:sad2:

Happy 2010, and looking forward to more!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter