Textbook site recommendations?

disneygoof

DIS Veteran
Any recommendations for online text book stores? Amazon not showing any significant savings, even with free shipping.

Thanks in advance.

There are a few out there, but the one I found recently that has usually been great is chegg.com. You sometimes have to be careful, as it's a resale textbook site, and if you need access keys for online tools linked to a textbook, you can't get them (even if it's advertised!).

Between chegg and amazon, I've been able to cut my textbook costs down pretty substantially. Renting is often a great way to go if you don't need the book for future classes or as a reference book. If you do rent, check the price different by state for Amazon (they have a pull-down). As an example, the cost to rent and ship to MN was $120 for one of my books and only $40 to ship to TX. I have relatives in Texas, so I'll just have them ship the book to me (nothing in the rental agreement and terms shows this isn't ok, so why not save $80).

Lastly, if you're taking an online class, look at the cost to just get access to the publisher's website. This may come with digital access to a textbook and allows you to use a search feature to find things in the text quickly. You can print off a certain number of pages of the textbook as well (they don't let you print the entire book though). The last option is an e-book throgh Barnes & Noble or Amazon's Kindle.

Hopefully this helps. I've found that Amazon and Chegg were the best price option for me over the last three semesters. Very rarely did my college bookstore have competative pricing, so I feel your pain!

Do a search for the ISBN number. I have done that several times. You will get multiple sites to look at for the book. I have even had a few show up this way on Amazon Marketplace that were not showing with an Amazon search.

My DD starts her first semester of college next week. She found the ISBN # needed for each class through her college bookstore, Barnes and Nobles, and then tried to find cheaper prices online. Here's the crazy thing. Can't find books with the correct matching ISBN numbers anywhere online except the college bookstore. . . She's taking basic req classes like psychology, sign language, music appreciation, etc. Could these books only be available through the college bookstore? Sounds like a great way to make money for the college. Has anybody else had this experience of only finding the books through the college store?

This often means the professor has revised a book to meet the needs of their specific course. Unfortunately this means to get the right book you have to buy it from the school bookstore. It's basically a way for the school to ensure that you will buy from them and most likely wont be able to sell back except to them as well. You will quickly learn the whole thing is a total racket.

I used cheapesttextbooks .com as a comparison site. Sounds cheesy, but really helpful - it's searchable by isbn and will show total price with shipping and any coupons/specials that might be applicable. Found some really great deals on textbooks as well as tracking down some harder-to-find books. Good luck!

Our DS is leaving in a week to start his freshmen year, so we are new to all of this. How long does it normally take to get your books if you go through these sites?

I've used bookrenter.com for 5 years they are great. Free shipping both ways. I've saved hundreds over the years

Wait until the class starts. They sometimes don't need the book or the instructor changes the request. After two college kids I have learned that nugget!

Dug a little deeper on Amazon and ended up using a combination of amazon and bookbyte.com (after checking rating on amazon) for a savings of a couple hundred dollars.

It's high school textbooks and the direct purchase original cost was $428 and I ended up spending $231, both numbers including shipping costs.

If they're in good shape, it's a win.

Definitely happy to have all this advice in anticipation of college textbooks.

Be careful with chegg.com. I noticed the rental period is through 12/20. My DS will still have finals. No way can he return the books to be there by 12/20. Amazon is 1/5 which is better. So check when your semester ends

I purchased a couple of my daughter's books on ebay but got on at textbooks.com and even though it was used it looks really good which is a concern with me and used books with sites like chegg etc

Be careful with chegg.com. I noticed the rental period is through 12/20. My DS will still have finals. No way can he return the books to be there by 12/20. Amazon is 1/5 which is better. So check when your semester ends

If you call chegg and request an extension due to the semester date end they will give it to you. I have had kids in college for the past 6 years and have used them.

I've used directtextbook.com for years (bought some of her high school texts there). Since D is a double major, some of her books for her English classes come from Barnes and Noble (we are members so I get 2 day shipping).

If the ISBN's don't match, it's either a custom text or a custom bundle. I would not recommend buying International Editions, they are cheap, but often the problem sets are not the same--so all the homework will be wrong. Sometimes the content is different as well.

If you call chegg and request an extension due to the semester date end they will give it to you. I have had kids in college for the past 6 years and have used them.

Thanks. That is good to know and did not know that. Does it cost extra for an extension? We've been buying used books and selling. But trying the rental route for the first time. All but one of DS books were cheaper on amazon anyway...this time.

Can someone please tell me how long it takes to receive your books when ordering from these sites? Son will be a freshmen and this is new to us. Thanks! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter