• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Texas

Has anyone seen the number of new cases today? I hope that I'm seeing a typo.
The numbers for that day were so high because there was a backlog in the San Antonio area and nearly 5000 cases were added to that days total, even though they were from earlier on.

Yay! The US Navy sent medical teams down here to the Rio Grande Valley today to help us out at 4 hospitals. Doctors and nurses have had to work extra hours to deal with the number of people overwhelming hospitals because of covid 19.

My daughter is home from her trip to Seattle to see her son. She said most everyone was wearing masks except for the homeless that she saw. She said that Southwest keeps the middle row empty and wipes everything down after each flight. I plan to stay at home (that's what I do anyway) except for grocery store runs for the next two weeks just in case she brought Covid home with her. She teaches in Forney and starts back to work on August 3rd, school begins two weeks later. She signed up to teach at school and online. So we'll see what happens.

Going through and clipping my digital coupons at Kroger this morning, saw a ticker at the top of the page that says starting today wearing masks are mandatory in the store.

Whenever we have an extreme weather event, I often find that there is massive media coverage during the buildup, then the media focus on one or two things when it gets serious and then they lose interest. Then a while later they suddenly realise how bad it really got and start covering the aftermath. I wonder if there is an element of that going on now. Hospitals must be in chaos and im sure the situation is far more dire than the media is really covering. But the national and international media are just focusing on the dubious numbers rather than the real impact currently.

Agree. And honestly, I think there's an element of psychological fatigue. Constant dire stories and it all just starts to sound the same.

But I've also been a bit perplexed by the "the sky is falling, numbers are rising, refrigerator trucks are coming" stories and then suddenly, crickets. I'm pretty sure the numbers are still going up. I think Texas had a record number of deaths this week.

Agree. And honestly, I think there's an element of psychological fatigue. Constant dire stories and it all just starts to sound the same.

But I've also been a bit perplexed by the "the sky is falling, numbers are rising, refrigerator trucks are coming" stories and then suddenly, crickets. I'm pretty sure the numbers are still going up. I think Texas had a record number of deaths this week.
Crickets? There was coverage on the nightly news programs Thursday evening, focusing on Florida, California, and Texas. CA passed NY in the number of deaths, FL will probably do so this weekend, and Texas sometime next week. Things are not very good but there still seems to be a large number of people who just don’t care.

Crickets? There was coverage on the nightly news programs Thursday evening, focusing on Florida, California, and Texas. CA passed NY in the number of deaths, FL will probably do so this weekend, and Texas sometime next week. Things are not very good but there still seems to be a large number of people who just don’t care.

Florida, Texas and California are no where the number of deaths in NY. They are approaching the number of cases but no where near the number of deaths. Things are not good but not approaching the death rate in my home state of New York.

Whenever we have an extreme weather event, I often find that there is massive media coverage during the buildup, then the media focus on one or two things when it gets serious and then they lose interest. Then a while later they suddenly realise how bad it really got and start covering the aftermath. I wonder if there is an element of that going on now. Hospitals must be in chaos and im sure the situation is far more dire than the media is really covering. But the national and international media are just focusing on the dubious numbers rather than the real impact currently.
I don’t know what outlets you get your news from but almost all the national and international media I follow have daily news and human interest stories relating to the pandemic. BBC, NYT, and PBS, come to mind, with each of them having written and video stories. As a for instance, the NY Times, has had a special daily Covid 19 section since the end of Feb/start of Mar and I believe it is all free content .
HTH

No, CA did NOT pass NY in number of deaths. We aren’t even at half of NY’s deaths. We did pass on number of cases, which isn’t great, but also not terribly surprising considering we have double the population.

Yup, you guys are correct ... it’s cases not deaths. Thankfully. My apologies for my error.

Yea, CA is pretty far behind NY in deaths.
From my calculation, as of today, CA (and FL) is still about 4 months out at the current delta to equal NY cumulative deaths.

I don’t know what outlets you get your news from but almost all the national and international media I follow have daily news and human interest stories relating to the pandemic. BBC, NYT, and PBS, come to mind, with each of them having written and video stories. As a for instance, the NY Times, has had a special daily Covid 19 section since the end of Feb/start of Mar and I believe it is all free content .
HTH
Of course, but how many are focusing on the bad areas like texas hospitals being full and patients just being sent home to die? And florida testing taking over a week to get results. Stuff like that which gives a clear indication of how bad the situation is isnt getting much coverage on the international media i see.

I just read that many bar owners will be having a protest of sorts and will be opening in defiance today. I can't help but feel sympathy for them in spite of everything. I see no good answers here.

Texas now has a hurricane headed for it.

Yes, is it a good thing or a bad thing when your city gets named on the Weather Channel? Not when they're talking about the most dangerous places for the hurricane, and our hospitals are already full+. Fortunately we don't live in a very flood-prone area like some that are really bad. And the Covid testing facility is in a relatively dry part of town.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter