Texas Rising

scrhsa

DIS Veteran
As I am sitting here writing this I am wearing my " Don't Mess with Texas " shirt. Well, the History Channel done gone and messed with Texas :sad:. For all you non-Texans, please,please, don't believe a word of this poorly scripted show. Ok, there may be, MAY BE, a word or too that is accurate. But not many.

I grew up outside of Houston and now live in the general area all this has taken place--basically with-in two hours of those cities. Closer to Goliad. Goliad is one of the places we go regularly. LOVE Goliad. It looks nothing like the dry, barren landscape they set this thing in. We have NO rocky cliffs. And the pronunciation of the Karankawa is horrendous. It should be kuh-ron-kuh-wa not karen-kahwa. (At least that is how we now pronounce it)

Oh, my poor little Texas heart. I was so hoping it would be good. But, alas, I should have known better since it was from the History Channel. I do like the fact that they are focusing on the aftermath of the Alamo. Not much is out there on that part of our history.

I think my family will be taking trips to the Alamo, Goliad, Gonzales and San Jacinto this summer to wash the nasty taste of the History Channel out of my mouth :tongue:

Well, for what its worth, if you actually feel the need to watch it....have fun with it! Hopefully it will stir a desire to learn more about our Great State!

I'm taping it, but not sure when I'll get around to watching. TV is tough to squeeze in this time of year.

So aside from mispronouncing the name of the tribe, and filming the series in a geographically inaccurate locale, is the series inaccurate as far as historical fact?

Since it isn't a documentary a la Ken Burns, I'm enjoying it simply as a miniseries based on historical events.

Last edited:

So aside from mispronouncing the name of the tribe, and filming the series in a geographically inaccurate locale, is the series inaccurate as far as historical fact?

Since it isn't a documentary a la Ken Burns, I'm enjoying it simply as a miniseries based on historical events.

Yeah, there are some historical inaccuracies. I get that it is entertainment...but coming from the "History" channel, I was hoping for something better!

I was so excited about this series but being that the alamo is right in my vicinity I am sickened by the historical inaccuracy. What an awful mini series. Not to mention the scenery is awful.

I love the Western genre and wish we could get more westerns on TV and in the movies. I had high hopes for this show but I'm reading a lot of reviews like OP's. Maybe I'll just delete it from my DVR.

I was excited to watch it. Thanks for the review, I won't waste my time. We have such a great history, I don't understand why it needs to be changed for entertainment?

So what story are they telling about the Alamo? Now I'm really curious. I've heard some interesting versions of the story over the years so I'm really curious now.

So what story are they telling about the Alamo? Now I'm really curious. I've heard some interesting versions of the story over the years so I'm really curious now.

Didn't really go into the Alamo at all. The Alamo just kind of set up the story. I'ts mostly about the aftermath. Really great history that they are taking liberty with....and again I know its entertainment. I don't really care about filling in around the edges but keep the main historical facts straight :) Which I could go into but I'm not a historian and there is really a lot of details :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter