Texas Mommies: Will the School District really prosecute me for taking DS to WDW?

It is very ironic...My wife home schooled my kids when they were very small and they did amazing. In fact, when we enrolled them, they were way ahead on all subjects in comparison to the other kids in their grade. My wife enrolled them at the time due to some major time constraints she was having with a job she worked at the time. Now those constraints are gone and my kids are older. I am very tired of my 10 year old and my 9 year old daughters coming home telling me some things that the other kids are saying already..(very inappropriate) in my opinion for children so young. We had to go talk to the principle after a little boy was forcing his hand down my 9 year olds shirt to grope her on the bus. I know kids are kids, but I feel like if I allow this things to continue, then I am just not doing my job as a parent. We are currently researching the whole home school thing here in our area and are pleasantly surprised with all of the great programs that are available, such as field trip groups, band and orchestra groups, art classes, etc.....so...chances are this whole "public school control" issue may be a moot point very soon.

I think the texas laws are insane...school in general has just gotten out of control. I remember taking naps in first grade and now they are doing 2 page book reports...WHAT???
I live in Indiana and they don't have strict attendance laws and Kindergarten isn't even mandatory here. We are taking our dd out of kindergarten in Dec for pop warner...her tiny mite dance team is going to exhibition and we feel like its something that we may not be able to do every year so we are going for it.
I think if you are able to get the work done you should be able to go on vacation when it suits you. Now I don't mean taking 2-3 vacations per year but if you want to take your kids to disney for a week then by all means you should be able to without worrying that you'll go to jail or whatever :rolleyes1 My dh cant take summer vacations...that's his busy time at work so if we want to take family vacations they will always be in dec or jan. Family time is just as important as school time...I can totally see why homeschooling is gaining more popularity by the day!

I was a school counselor in Texas, and we had students go on lengthy vacations to Mexico to visit family. They would withdraw from school for the trip and re-enroll after the trip. They weren't counted absent thay way.

Kindergarten being optional in TX, I would imagine prosecution is unlikely. That said, what I'd be more concerned with in a district with such rules would be coming home and finding out your kid had been disenrolled. I'd ask other families in your school before making a solid choice.

I don't know about prosecution, but state law indicates 9 absences in a semester will cause a loss of credit for courses if the student is in high school.

I have always wrote letters to the school when I was going to take my daughter out for more than two days. I've been extremely lucky with getting her absences excused, sometimes the principle uses discretion and in our case more times than not he did. You truly have to use your best judgement as a parent, and don't leave it up for discussion or public opinion. There are some incredible benefits to some family vacations or opportunities. One year we had an opportunity to go to New York City, the things my daughter saw and Learned about were far more valuable than what she may have learned those 3 days, however this was my opinion and decision. She wrote a report and did a poster board to share with her class on her trip to NYC. Her trip was excused.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter