Texas Drivers

latexscooter

Be nice even if it takes some effort.
For our upcoming trip we've decided to drive to WDW and we're actually looking forward to it. We'll be driving from San Antonio to Orlando and Mapquest says it'll be about 18 hours. I'm wondering if anyone else has made the jaunt from our neck of the woods and if you have any recommendations as to where to stop and if there's anywhere we should just keep on going. We figure we'll take a break about 12-14 hours in and then sleep before finishing up the drive the next day. Any advice is welcome but don't try and persuade me to fly - it's a driving trip. :)

FYI, it'll be DH, me and our DD who will have just turned 8. When we lived in the Northeast we would drive for most of our vacations. If it was within 14 hours it was game. Since moving to south Texas we don't drive anywhere that's out of state because it takes forever just to get out of the state.

Thanks!

I'm in central Texas - after getting out of Texas - stop at the rest stops for bathroom breaks (then you can get drinks from your cooler instead paying gas station prices)
I know we go 281 to get to SA - you should be able to take that to Stephenville(my home) then 377 to I-20/30(DFW) then stay on I20 to get out of State. I would go as far as possible the first day
I would say take I-35 but that really depends on what time you hit Austin (that could take 3hours if you get struck in traffic)

Hi fellow Texan!
We usually leave San Antonio early morning(5am) to avoid traffic in Houston. Stop at Pensacola for the evening. Eat breakfast(8am) and arrive in Davenport in time to check in our vacation rental house.

We make very goodtime if weather permits or don't have to slow down/stop for traffic accidents. One yr we had to wait over an hour for road to get cleared.

Once we clear Houston we make very good time.

Thank you! We're thinking of leaving between 3 and 4 a.m. Saturday, May 28. We were thinking of taking 35 up through Austin and then Houston. Do you think it'll be an issue hitting Houston on a Saturday morning at 8 a.m. of a holiday weekend?

Based off your advice I'm going to push it until at least Pensacola then I'll plan on breaking. Any idea how long from Pensacola to Orlando?

We'll have cooler with food stuffs but if you have any thoughts on where else we should stop, I'm open to it.

I have driven to WDW 14 times in the past 16 years from north Texas (right on the OK border) and although it is a long trip, it is not that bad. From Pensacola to WDW is about 6hrs and 45 minutes.

As far as your trip route, not sure why you would go up to Austin unless you are picking someone up. I would simply take I10, of course it turns to I12 and then back to I10 in Louisana all the way to Pensacola. From there stay on I10 all the way to 75 and head south. Very easy trip, long straight roads with not a lot of scenery, but sometimes it's the destination that counts, not just the trip there.

I have driven to WDW 14 times in the past 16 years from north Texas (right on the OK border) and although it is a long trip, it is not that bad. From Pensacola to WDW is about 6hrs and 45 minutes.

As far as your trip route, not sure why you would go up to Austin unless you are picking someone up. I would simply take I10, of course it turns to I12 and then back to I10 in Louisana all the way to Pensacola. From there stay on I10 all the way to 75 and head south. Very easy trip, long straight roads with not a lot of scenery, but sometimes it's the destination that counts, not just the trip there.
Thanks for making me look up my route! I had just assumed going up towards Austin and cutting over was the way since I live in far North SA...once I look it up I saw that this was clearly not the way to go. I'll be doing 10 just like you said.

Obviously this isn't going to be a painful trip. After 14 times it couldn't be too bad. Is Houston the worst area I have to look out for regarding traffic? I'm a little worried about that but if you say 8 a.m. on a Saturday is no biggie then I'll go by your word.

Thanks for the help.

I would certainly say that Houston may be your worst area. We always made it to WDW in about 23 hours and that is with all of the meal, gas and rest stops. If you have the chance to buy or borrow a GPS unit, I certainly would. The first time I drove it (1994) I took 35W all the way to south Ft Worth and caught 20 there when should I have gone a totaly different route that saved at least an hour, of course that was long before GPS's were available.

Even though I know the route by heart now, I still use my GPS because it can help find gas stations and let you know how far the are. Best of luck to you.

I too am looking for any tips. We are thinking about driving from San Antonio :drive:, then doing a cruise :sail:, then heading to WDW for a couple of days after :banana:. With all the moving around I thought having our own car might be easier, but I bet driving all that way home is no fun :faint:. My DH is not convinced however so I am looking to hear what a lovely, easy drive this was...

K in SA

Sadly, we are not heading out of San Antonio until July...2012:scared1:.

Got to save up for that cruise!!!

K in SA

Houston on Saturday May 28th 8am should not be a problem. Good luck, have a good trip.

Traffic in Houston on a Saturday or Sunday SHOULD not be an issue at any time of day, unless there is an accident or road construction. Worst times are 6 am to 10 am and 3 pm to 7 pm, weekdays.

I have thought about driving, and even thought about driving on our upcoming CA DL trip, but I'm not that big a fan of driving long distances(although I hate flying but it is over quicker) :rotfl:. Have fun!

I just bought a new car which should help with the trip. :) It wasn't just because of the trip but I thought it would certainly make the trip easier especially since it gets 30+ to the gallon highway. I'll post the pros and cons upon my return for all you other San Antonians that are thinking of doing this.

I'm just up the road from you in New Braunfels. We've driven twice. The first time, we stopped in Mobile both ways. The next time, we drove all the way to Pensacola going down, & to the New Orleans area (I-12) on the way back. That worked better, as we did the heavy driving on the first day each way.

My wife & I considered driving this trip, but got non-stop both ways with excellent flight times on SWA, so we went with that.

Good luck!

I am planning on driving from Houston for my trip in May. We will likely stop in Tallahassee for an overnight. I can also confirm Houston on a Saturday morning is very doable!:thumbsup2 The way airfares have been looking from Houston makes it a no-brainer to drive.:)

I couldn't justify the high prices out of Houston either. We leave Friday & will be driving to Pensacola the first day. We would drive further, but we can't leave until 2pm as DH has to work:headache:. So that leaves us 6 or 7 hours to drive on day 2, but it shouldn't be a big deal as we aren't in a hurry!!
No way was I paying 700 a person for 4 people to fly..... I can think of alot better ways to spend that 2800!!!!:scared1:

Hello-

We are planning our first drive. Can any of you recommend a good hotel in Pensacola? Looking for comfort, nice pool, suite type.

For anyone coming through Louisiana, be advised that I-12 is a MESS. I don't recommend getting trapped there Mon-Fri between the hours of 4-6pm. It will take an hour to go 5 miles. :sad2: (this is the area of Baton Rouge, as soon as you cross the Miss River Bridge get ready for hell).

And if you travel on a Friday be advised the backup starts much earlier...sometimes at 2:30 it has already come to a halt.

Traffic has been an issue along that area for years, and now they are finally widening the interstate and rebuilding bridges...that means narrow lanes, concrete walls, winding curves routing you around things, etc. After you pass Denham Springs/Walker it should sail smoothly.

We also are driving from Houston and usually stop in Pensacola the first day. After growing up in MI and driving down 75 all the time (which was very boring), I love the drive from Houston to Orlando along the coast. Last year in March we took the scenic route in MS on the way home and got to see Gulfport and Biloxi and the ocean close up. I really enjoyed it since it was so different from all those trips through the mountains along 75 we took when I was a kid!

If what ya'll say is true Houston being the biggest of my problems I'll be happy. :) It'll be easy since I live in Houston and know all of the short cuts. :) I am a little worried though being from Houston, I'm not at all used to driving in the snow or icy roads. I'm taking a trip down in December do you think we'll hit any of that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter