Test track Refurb next year?

wayneg

Just heard Test track is in line for a $60 million renovation next year, will take about 5-6 month from April til Sept. Anyone any info?

Ages away wasn't it reported that GM wasn't going to be sponsoring it anymore? Perhaps the refurb will be to do with that??? Hopefully they can stop it breaking down all the time, gutted it will be closed next year though :headache:

Let's hope it open earlier than the September as quoted.

I'll ne there in mid August and this is always a favourite - in fact, DH was so gutted he wanted to cancel :rotfl:

I was really fed up reading this too, we have booked for next August and at the moment, it feels a bit like we will be going to a building site - What with Fantasyland, Grand Floridian and now Test Track. I know things have to be improved, upgraded etc but when it is all at the same time it is really putting a dampner on things for me at the moment.:sad2:

Ah gutted that it will be happening while we are there, really enjoyed this ride last time!

I read this on FB and was split in my feelings.
Pleased to see TT get a meaty refurb but disappointed that it is over the summer :goodvibes:sad2:

I am sorry to say but it really needs the love - we were evacuated off the other day when it broke down and it is in a bit of a sorry state.

I will be gutted not to be able to ride next June as DD loves the ride however I will really pleased if they do a major rehab on it.

I remember the same reaction when Space Mountain went down for its rehab but it wasn't too bad - its only one attraction and hopefully parts of the new Fantasyland might be opening by then :goodvibes

The only information I could find is this

http://www.epcyclopedia.com/2011/09/15/epcots-test-track-2012-overhaul-retheme/

Latest from the rumor mill: General Motors is ready to ink a deal to sponsor their Epcot pavilion for a further 10 years until 2022. As part of the deal the Test Track attraction would essentially be gutted, leaving only the ride path and vehicles chassis in place.Other areas of the pavilion would also be completely redone as they were during the transition from World of Motion to Test Track.

The new ride-thru attraction that Disney is in talks with GM to fund would involve new vehicle bodies for the Test Track vehicles designed not by Imagineering but rather GM’s own design, research, and development unit. Upgraded interiors and new electronics and show elements (screens, etc..) would be the fruit of this collaboration. For the ride scenes the pavilion would become a sort of hybrid version of the original World of Motion and the current Test Track attraction, detailing vehicle design, production, fabrication, and testing with a nod toward its history and the future. Apparently currently iterations of the design have a distinctly forward-looking emphasis with grand splashes of futurism to boot.

Final details are being worked out between the companies before any formal announcement is going to be made. This information is subject to change. Two timelines for a possible closure of the attraction have been discussed, starting in either January or April. As always, the full history of the Transportation pavilion at Epcot, including its conceptual origins as a two-ride attraction with both a high-speed test track and a history ride-thru, can be found in the Epcot Explorer’s Enyclopedia.

Out of all the rides in Disney, this is the one that needs something doing with it.

The first few times I went on this ride, I couldnt drive so I loved it. Loved the speed aspect. Now it just sort of feels like a casual ride along followed by going on the motorway!

Would be very interested to see what they change about the ride. I remember last time I went on it the hot/cold thing didnt even work!:confused3

Love this ride, so does DW & DD...
We must be lucky never had any problems with Test Track in all our visits , rode it about 15 times...

Love this ride, so does DW & DD...
We must be lucky never had any problems with Test Track in all our visits , rode it about 15 times...

You are very lucky, can't remember the last time we were there without it closing for some reason or another.

Though I love the ride it is looking in dire need of repair so i think this couldn't come at a better time.

I know it stinks being down over summer but with a refurb this big it was bound to effect someone no mater what.

On a personal note, given that I'm going this December then probably next September\October I couldn't be more chuffed! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter