Test track for 6 year-old?

Think of it like riding in a convertible with the top down at 60 mph. Just a fun ride -- nothing really scary.

Thanks so much for all the responses! I think I will let her go on if she wants. It should be fun. The only reason I was worried was because my 50 ish brother-in-law went on and was a bit scared. This ride seems to frighten 50 year olds more than kids:rotfl:

My kids all loved it starting around age 4. My mother was mid 50's when we took her and she was quite shaken up by it. She did ride again on another day, though.

Are there other rides that you would prohibit her from going on if she wants to and is tall enough? I've never considered that. I think she'll be tall enough for everything except maybe Rock n Rollercoaster and Primieval Whirl. Have fun!

This post is food for thought. IMO, she is old enough to make her own decision, as long as she knows what she is getting into. I have a hierarchy for rides which worked well for my kids and which my nephew (11) who is on the spectrum used on his first trip a few months ago.

Level 1: Soarin, Kali, Test Track, BTMRR
Level 2: Mission Space (non-spinning side), Splash Mountain
Level 3: Expedition Everest, Space Mountain
Level 4: Tower of Terror, Dinosaur, Rock n Roller Coaster

Of course, depending on the child, they may not be bothered by certain things and may do better on certain rides than others. I would think most 6 year old would be fine on any thing from level 1 or 2 unless they were extremely timid and many would be fine on those from level 3. My kids all rode Space Mountain at 6 and loved it, but some don't. Only DS14 was tall enough for Rock n Roller Coaster at 6 but he loved it. Tower of Terror and Dinosaur were too scary for them at that age, but many kids love it.

I would check out You Tube and let her ride what she is brave enough to try. Have a great trip!:goodvibes

I agree with watching youtube to see what the ride is about. My DD(5) insisted we go on and we really enjoyed it. But she loves everything anyway!
There's nothing really bad about it in my opinion and its not scary...like Dinosaur or Tot could be (and DD loved those too). She has now reached the height requirement for ALMOST everything but wants to DO everything ALL the time. She is the only one who WOULD ride RnR with me...just a few more inches!

My son, who is also on the spectrum, enjoyed primeval whirl but I already knew better than to do some rides with him - such as dinosaur. He might have liked Test Track but wasn't interested and we didn't push him - same with Mission Space. But then again, he has high anxiety and high sensory issues which can make or break his ride choices). I really like the above chart, sums it up very well!

I firmly believe in letting kids make their own decisions about rides. If they are tall enough they can go on anything they want. If they don't like it or are scared on it then OK you don't go on it again. But that is how you find out what YOU like, the other way you find out what your Mother doesn't like.

Seriously something as harmless and simple as deciding what ride to go on is how kids start learning the decision making process. I truly think this is why some 16 yr olds have trouble making good choices because they never were allowed to make the simple ones as little kids and learn all along the choice and consequences of what happens when you decide something.

My six year old loves it! He has ridden it everytime we go to Epcot and won't leave until he gets to. Other than the high speed (VERY fast) it isn't that intense (not like a roller coaster at all.) He is pretty conservative about what he likes. He loves Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain and Everest (only with his dad). He hates Space, Tower of Teror, and Dinosaur (he is not a dare devil at all) he rode them each once and we can't get him on them again.

I used to teach kindergarten. I think all of my students would love it. Take her!:goodvibes

I teach Kindergarten and my kids would love it! They love to go fast and that's all that Test Track does, no upside down, no scary monsters or ghosts. It is just fun!

Yes! Absolutely! Our daughter was 5 when she first rode it (she will be 7 in Sept) and it is now her favorite ride. The only fast part is at the end (65 mph), and to be honest people drive cars on the interstate faster than Test Track.

Hi again,

We do allow our daughter a lot of choices, but we do have some restrictions. I just don't want her to be traumatized by anything. I also think that at her age, she doesn't always know what she's getting herself into. She hasn't really been on that many rides before. By the way, I have seen the you tube video. It helped to some degree.

I was also going to suggest You Tube.. it has been great in alleviating any anxiousness with my 7 year old about new rides (and for me too)-- Now we know what to expect.

We've been doing this same thing the last several weeks in preparation for our trip this fall.

My 5 year old DS rode Test track last December and loved it! He said this is "Just like mommy drives when we're late!".

My 6 year old loved it. She was apprehensive at first, so her dad and older sister went on it to test it for her. She decided to go, and it ended up being one of her favorite rides. I personally find it quite boring. Much hype but no real substance. This year, my very tall 3 year old wants to ride it, and I would let her without hesitation. Hope that helps.

By the way, I'd let her decide. If she wants to try it, cool. If not, she doesn't have to. Some kids would be immediately turned of by the loud woosh as the car speeds around the track. It sounds so much scarier than it actually was.

I'm looking forward to riding TT in December now that I'm 80 pounds lighter and will actually be able to EASILY buckle my own seatbelt!

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Test Track. My two older children (12,14) are anxious to ride Test Track when we visit Epcot in late November. I will be going on with them but their father won't be as he is prone to motion sickness. My question is, if my DD who is 6 wishes to go on, should I let her or is it best she wait with her dad. I am pretty protective and have not been on Test Track before. My daughter seems to take most rides she's been on in stride. Of course, the last time we visited WDW she didn't meet the height requirement for a lot of rides but now she does. Anyone have a 6 year-old who's gone on Test Track? Any thoughts.

Thanks

My son was 3 when he first rode Test Track - it was his favorite ride.

We did it several times in April with my son being 4 and my friend's daughter just turned 7.

Test Track just has one section of going fast -most of the ride is pretty tame.

My dd rode it at 5 and loved it - she also loved Tower of Terror, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Expedition Everest. She was exactly 48" when we went. She didn't get to experience Dinosaur, Big Thunder Mountain or Mission Space because we ran out of time but I have no doubt that she would have enjoyed those as well.

my kids have been riding it since they were 3. I suggest you watch some you-tube videos of the ride. It's just like riding in a car. And the 'fast' part is slower than most people drive on the highway.

And FWIW, my DH gets quite motion sick as well and rides TT w/o any issues. He can't ride the teacups or Mission Space but TT isn't even on his radar for motion sickness. Your DH could most likely ride w/o issue as well if he can ride in a car. Have him sit in the 'drivers seat' position.

My DD was 5 and rode it. She did fine. She was 7 and rode it again 3 times and loved it. I think I would let her decide and be fine with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter