Test Track Closing???

kthomas618

Mouseketeer
I keep hearing a rumor that Test Track is closing. Anyone else hear this or is it just that, a rumor??? Hope it's not closing, we all love that ride.

It's the rumor that never ends. It started, I assume, with the GM bankruptcy and bailout- Epcot attractions have historically closed when they lost their corporate sponsorship.

However, with Test Track being one of the park's 3 major E-Ticket attractions, I doubt a loss of sponsorship would ever drive it to closing doors.

I agree with the PP plus GM recently announced 4 quarters of consecutive profitability with $4.7 billion in net income for 2010 (and they're starting to pay back the government for their bailout money)... I think Test Track is here to stay. :cool1:

Well if GM is staying on and they are making money maybe they can update the "pre-show" video. The cars in the video are so dated...it couldn't cost that much to work in some new footage.

Not sure what sponsorship has to do with it. Sure the sponsorship is nice revenue and to help offset operating costs, but they have to have attractions for the park to exist, and closing the second biggest attraction in the park makes no sense even if a sponsor pulls out.

In addition, it's likely that they could find an alternate sponsor if GM is out - Ford, Honda, Subaru, ...

It depends on the operational costs vs. the effect of not operating it. Test Track is expensive to maintain - but it is also a "people-eater" - it takes a lot of guests out of other areas of the park. To lose it would have a dramatic impact.

But they haven't lost sponsorship anyways, and it doesn't seem like it will happen near-term, so unless there is a serious failure necessitating a major rebuild, or a replacement, I don't think it will close any time soon. We'd likely see a new E-ticket before that happens to absorbe any impact.

What an odd rumor

It's not really an odd rumor considering GM's recent financial situation. Any outside investors will be wondering why GM is spending that kind of money when they didn't have any to spare. They stopped major sponsorship of major sporting venues so it isn't out of the reach of reality that they might have to stop sponsorship at Disney when their contract ends.

Considering the fact that Disney has a track record for closing attractions when they lose a sponsor, it isn't surprising that this rumor might crop up.

That said, Test Track is a major attraction at Epcot but it is also a majorly expensive one to operate. I think they would keep it open for awhile but I don't think it is a given that it will stay, as is, forever.

For now, it should be safe.

Test Track will not be closing anytime soon. That being said, if they were to put a major attraction in where body worlds used to be.....it would be alittle easier to close TT.

Test Track will not be closing anytime soon. That being said, if they were to put a major attraction in where body worlds used to be.....it would be alittle easier to close TT.

Body Worlds? As in, dead people on display, body worlds? Did Epcot really have this before? :-/

*shuttering only because i was forced into the body worlds exhibit in SF during high school*

Body Worlds? As in, dead people on display, body worlds? Did Epcot really have this before? :-/

*shuttering only because i was forced into the body worlds exhibit in SF during high school*

No its a typo body works.

No its a typo body works.

Well, let's try one more time...Body Wars...in Wonders of Life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter