• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Terrible stay at GF

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry about your stay
i agree with others that for that much $$$ you should always get amazing service
you get it anywhere but DISNEY promotes this place like its the best thing ever
not the red roof inn
the service isnt measuring up

CarolA said:
So OP is wrong to expect "above and beyond" at the FLAGSHIP resort that costs considerably more then any other Disney resort???? Above and BEYOND should be the standard here not the exception... that is the point of a world class resort.... Once again, you pay top dollar you are entitled to TOP DOLLAR service! Any request should be considered and treated as resonable if at all possible. Sorry, this just doesn't cut it!
CarolA, where did I say that the OP shouldn't have expected "above and beyond"? This is the problem with some of these threads, people start reading way too much into responses and jumping on everyone. Yes, I said that the service is considered above and beyond in that it's not an advertised policy that the registration CM is responsible for taking gift A from a customer and then placing it in their room. My point was, that if there was a specific reason why they couldn't handle this request, it should have been explained to the OP so as not to feel like she was simply inconveniencing them. Perhaps someone had just called out sick, they were between shifts, who knows? Yes it's a flagship resort and service with a smile and all that. My post read that if the CM agreed to take care of this special request, then it should have been followed through in a Tinkerbelle fashion as the guest requested. Sheesh :badpc:

TammiMcMan said:
CarolA, where did I say that the OP shouldn't have expected "above and beyond"? This is the problem with some of these threads, people start reading way too much into responses and jumping on everyone. Yes, I said that the service is considered above and beyond in that it's not an advertised policy that the registration CM is responsible for taking gift A from a customer and then placing it in their room. My point was, that if there was a specific reason why they couldn't handle this request, it should have been explained to the OP so as not to feel like she was simply inconveniencing them. Perhaps someone had just called out sick, they were between shifts, who knows? Yes it's a flagship resort and service with a smile and all that. My post read that if the CM agreed to take care of this special request, then it should have been followed through in a Tinkerbelle fashion as the guest requested. Sheesh :badpc:
i feel your frustration! :badpc: i never understand why some people seem to take these things so personally! why do i even bother reading these threads?? :confused3

I had heard the same thing about the GF that the staff are very snobby and keep their noses up in the air if you know what I mean.

YOU are paying their salary! I don't get why guests or visitors (or in the above post it reads as neither, just a heard rumor) of the GF allow themselves to feel inferior to the GF CM's? The GF CM's I have had contact w/ are anything but snobby, & have gone above & beyond being helpful in our upcoming stay!!! I understand that everyone has different experiences,& its nice to hear both here, but you DO get what you pay for & what you ask for. If you want someone to set up gifts in your room, book concierge service~ To the OP, was it guest services/lobby concierge you requested the tinkerbell set up from?

I (as Im sure all of us) take everything w/ a grain of salt I read on these boards, not to discount anyones feelings, as they're valid enough to make people feel they need to post them, but hotel staff are not mind readers, if you want service above & beyond, a ride here or there, speak up & request it, instead of feeling overlooked & going home to write about it on the DISboards!!! :confused3

WE are looking forward to our stay at GF, but can be certain if we feel at all like we're having issues, i.e. mousekeeping,, we will address the issue while there! This is the only way a problem can be fixed!!!

Let's say that you could magically remove the GF and put a Ritz-Carlton in it's place. How much do you think that the rooms would cost? A lot more than GF I promise.

GF is not necessarily comparable to a Four Seasons or Ritz and I don't think it puts itself out as such. It may say that it is the WDW "flagship", but that is not the same as saying that it is comparable in service or quality to some other resorts. It is just a claim that it strives to be the best of their resorts.

It may charge a rate comparable to the Ritz etc. but you are largely paying for convenience of location and that always comes at a price.

Elk34 said:
It may charge a rate comparable to the Ritz etc. but you are largely paying for convenience of location and that always comes at a price.

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

PS Elk34 - you are so lucky for your upgrade! We're already paying for RPC, so guessing wont be any upgrades! GLad you enjoyed it!

This probably got lost somewhere, but if the OP is still around....

I was wondering about the Alice Tea Party that you had posted about. Is it no longer available Monday-Friday? Do you know which specific days it's offered on now? I know you had the Pirate cruise on Wednesday and the Tea Party on Friday. How did the Pirate cruise go?

Thanks

Elk34 said:
Let's say that you could magically remove the GF and put a Ritz-Carlton in it's place. How much do you think that the rooms would cost? A lot more than GF I promise.

GF is not necessarily comparable to a Four Seasons or Ritz and I don't think it puts itself out as such. It may say that it is the WDW "flagship", but that is not the same as saying that it is comparable in service or quality to some other resorts. It is just a claim that it strives to be the best of their resorts.

That's a valid point, however, Loews actually provides room and service on par with a Ritz-Carlton, and the location to Universal couldn't be any more convenient....no to mention front of the line access at the parks. I don't think that the convenience alone that GF provides justifies the price. I would expect superior service as well. Also, if the transportation to parks other than MK is less than stellar, you aren't really getting much in the way of convenience anyway.

Elk34 said:

You make a couple of valid points. But let's be clear:

(1) Disney doesn't promote the GF as a resort comparable to Ritz or Loews; it uses the rather bland "flagship" designation. This denotes service above and beyond what you'd find at other resorts ON PROPERTY.

(2) "It is just a claim that it strives to be the best of their resorts" is putting it mildly. If you bill a hotel as your "flagship," then it shouldn't strive, but BE the best resort, period. All the time. No exceptions.

By the way, I've stayed twice at the GF the last 14 years, both outstanding stays. But this is not the first (trustworthy) report I've read which complains of poor housekeeping, blasé employees, and dirty bathrooms. Any one of these elements may be excusable at the All-Stars or even the Contemporary, but CERTAINLY NOT at Disney's flagship resort.

You know...I always thought I was an unbiased WDW fan. ;) Check my siggy out. I've changed my opinion.

We just got back from 3 nights Poly LVC and then over to the Swan for the remainder. It's been awhile since we've been over at the S&D.

OMG!!! The service was unbelievable and I do mean unbelievable after being able to compare our recent Poly stay. Poly Concierge AP rate $400 before taxes and Swan teachers rate $149 before taxes.

I used to be the first one to say peoples expectation were outta control. I still believe with certain things that holds but wow.

No problems really but listen to how the Swan reacted without me expecting nada.

They called and left a message every time we asked for something to make sure we got it. Like extra towels, toothbrush, etc. Called with any and everything leaving a message so not to bother you.

I asked for the beds to be stripped at a certain time after housekeeping suggested it (would have NOT even thought of it cause I wasn't thinking). My son had strep throat. It took 30 minutes for them to get there but I was in panic mode cause the Dr was arriving. I asked what the hold up was. They arrived and were so sweet and stripped EVERYTHING. I said I apologize for being so cranky I know 30 minutes is reasonable. Manager said Ma'am, you were not cranky. Asked us where we ate, yadda, yadda, and said for your inconvenience I am giving you a dining voucher for 4. I said, that was not necessary but thank you anyway. 1-2 hours later an envelope slipped under our door with dining voucher.

Room service was 30 minutes or less. One night I guess they were "late" and called and apologized and said they were on there way and for my inconvenience would a voucher help. I said no thank you really it wasn't necessary.

After being holed up with sickness we asked if there was a balcony room available and if we could switch with $$$. I was told sure and it would be $30 extra a night and I said great and then he said wait a minute...your a Starwood member and I am switching you for free.

One day we headed out and let them know the door to balcony was broke and the toilet was broke. We get back and the message light is on. They checked to see if everything was fixed and for my inconvenience a dining voucher and I said no way but thanks so much for the great service!

Room service guy noticed our little guy was sick and next day noticed he was better. We ordered a LOT!!! :rotfl: A knock came at the door about 20-30 minutes later with dessert and milk. :earseek:

By the way, they were running at a 100% occupancy.

I am telling you I am eating my words right now...crow is always fun when it's made pleasant by a great stay at the Swan. :teeth:

How can a guest that experiences the level of service I received(everyone receives at the S&D) and yea I had it before at other resorts and hotels outside WDW and not wonder what is going on with WDW???? They consistently went outta their way. WDW is hit or miss.

I defended WDW and said oh you need to be extra nice to CM's yadda, yadda. WHAT??? It's my job to make sure a CM has a nice day???? If I heard one more time that they(WDW) were running at full occupancy as an excuse for less than stellar service at various times I think I would scream. Always an excuse lately with WDW never a resolution. Loved Ohana's as always but when I tell you the wait for everything coming to the table was too much I am not exaggerating. Beginning of the trip, right, My hubby and I said, oh, look, they are so busy. :sad2: Bologna...

I learned a few things this trip...life is interesting, huh?...I LOVE my DVC and miss our "home resort" and :earboy2: for me giving WDW resorts an excuse and playing along with the attitude we are at full occupancy dumb dumb and YOU need to understand THAT! :rolleyes1

I really do understand the idea and experience of full crowds but as an excuse for less than average service with $$$$...ut uh...no more.

~Roxanne

ryanpatricksmom said:
That's a valid point, however, Loews actually provides room and service on par with a Ritz-Carlton, and the location to Universal couldn't be any more convenient....no to mention front of the line access at the parks. I don't think that the convenience alone that GF provides justifies the price. I would expect superior service as well. Also, if the transportation to parks other than MK is less than stellar, you aren't really getting much in the way of convenience anyway.

I disagree completely. After checking out of GF we took a Tiffany towncar over to the Royal Pacific at Universal. RP is a Loews hotel. We had TERRIBLE service at RP. I know that it is their low end Universal resort but the service was not just unspectacular, it was BAD. We are very easy going travelers, but it was laughable. Here is a short list of problems during the 5 nights there. 1st night- called and asked for robes and they were never sent, after settling in for the night decided to raid the mini bar and found that we had not been given a key. 2nd night- came back from dinner at 10:00 to find the 'employee in room" thing in the key slot. We entered the room to find the room had been halfway cleaned and no employee was there. Dirty towels taken but no new towels or shampoo, glasses etc. Sheets were changed, but comfortor still on ground. 3rd night, my wife asked for robes and it took 2 calls to get them. 4th night- my wife had to wash out some things in the sink and soon realized that the sink had a large crack and that water was spraying onto the floor. 5th night- returned to room at 9:00 after late night in the parks to find that the room was again only done halfway. No new towels or shampoo. The trash can was emptied but in the very middle of the room. My wife went to the front desk and complained. The resort manager delivered the towels and shampoo and said that the cleaning staff had already left to go clean another resort. He said that this type of service was a problem since the houskeepers don't speak english. It was laughable how bad it was. I would have been unhappy with this level of service at a Hampton Inn.

Also, the pool was in very bad shape. They have a large "boat" for the kids with water cannons, overhead lifeboats that are supposed to fill with water and dump out etc. Literally, only about 25% of the things worked. I think it is even worse when a resort is designed to have something and those things aren't kept up well than if they don't have them at all.

But, man, the front of the line thing is incredible. If WDW ever gets that they could raise the room rate $100 per night and it would be worth it. But, that Loews hotel is much worse than anything WDW has.

Roxanne-
I know exactly how you feel and as you can see from my history it's why I'm going back in a few weeks.
After my last stay on Disney property at the Poly and with the horrible experience I had during that trip I thought I would try the Swan and I am hooked!!!
The level of service was unbelievable and we were treated so well.
It's why we're going back!!!!

kelscross said:
The parks were crowded as expected so that was no biggie, it was dirty though. I have always been amazed on how clean Disney is, but not this year. Trash overflowing, bathrooms very disgusting and trash piling up in the lines (esp. Peterpan and Pooh)

I am kind of relieved to hear you say this. We just got back from a trip 7/7-7/14. We have been to Disney many times, and I wondered if I was just imagining it this time, but I felt like MK was dirty in a way I never remembered it being. Yes, it is still much cleaner than my local Six Flags, but it is not as clean as I remember it being during past July visits. I felt like this was especiialy true in the ride lines. I know it isn't Disney's fault that people can be pigs, but I have always enjoyed the spotlessness in the past.

Well I'm leaving in a couple of weeks so I'll let you know. I'm surprised to hear this also because when we're there it's all I see is CM's cleaning up. It also would be a tremendous help if those with garbage would place them in the many receptacles they have rather than just dropping them on the ground.

I disagree completely. After checking out of GF we took a Tiffany towncar over to the Royal Pacific at Universal. RP is a Loews hotel. We had TERRIBLE service at RP. I know that it is their low end Universal resort but the service was not just unspectacular, it was BAD.

That really surprises me. We haven't tried the RP, but all of our stays at both the Portofino and HRH have been nearly perfect. Frankly, the bathrooms and the bed linens are enough to win me over...the service was the icing on the cake.

The only problem that we ever encountered was that a large room-service order appeared on my bill yet was promptly emoved after a single phone call. A basket with wine and assorted goodies arrived by way of apology.

I guess that I won't be staying at the RP anytime soon!

CarolA said:
This is NOT an acceptable excuse for a hotel charging these rates. I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Naples when EVERY room was FULL, service was still outstanding. As for carrying my luggage... I think they would have had a stroke. They wisked it away immediately, gave me a cold drink while I waited 2 mintues to check in, apologized for the wait and delivered my luggage to my room as soon as I arrived. At a world class resort, you have to FIGHT to keep your luggage, not FLAG someone down to get them to help you. :confused3

People keep wanting to give Disney a break on this hotel? WHY???

If Disney wants this to be the FLAGSHIP and to sell it as a world class resort then it needs to compare. The experience there should outshine everything else at Disney. Half the time it doesn't even outshine the AllStars.

As far as I can tell, the resort is fine if you have no problems. However, if you have a request or a problem.... the thought pattern appears to be "you are lucky to stay here so quit complaining" I also had billing problems. The GM told me that "I don't have time to deal with all these problems" HUH???? That's your JOB! If I don't stay there you don't have a job!

You know some of us have never had a bad experience at this resort and therefore we just don't understand the attitude of some on this forum on bashing the Grand Floridian. I am sorry you had a bad stay, did you go back and try it again. Or is this a case of a one time bad experience that is going to be relived over and over.

I did not say 100% occupancy is an excuse for bad service. However I don't know what happened. We have one side of the story. This is not to say that everything the OP stated is not the full and accurate truth. It could be. I do know that when you are short staffed and running at 100% things happen that don't happen at a less busy time.

But I also think it is only fair to give the other side too, as others did and by guests who have gone and had enjoyable stays. In my opinion based on many stays at the Grand Floridian and comparing it only to other Disney resorts it does outshine all the others. Yes we have had problems there and they were dealt with efficiently and we were well satisfied. I would not compare a hotel in Downtown Manhattan to one in Hawaii. Therefore I don't compare Disney hotels to others in other locations.

It does not bother me you have a different opinion of your experience at the Grand Floridian. I am however beginning to feel that you do have a problem with comments that do not support your opinion of the Grand. I could be wrong and if so please correct me but it seems to irritate you that some actually love this resort and have never had a bad experience there.

As to carrying the luggage. I don't know if the OP made it known she needed assistance. I do know that once you leave the front outside entrance and start to you room they are not going to stop and give assistance along the way.

TammiMcMan said:
This probably got lost somewhere, but if the OP is still around....

I was wondering about the Alice Tea Party that you had posted about. Is it no longer available Monday-Friday? Do you know which specific days it's offered on now? I know you had the Pirate cruise on Wednesday and the Tea Party on Friday. How did the Pirate cruise go?

Thanks

Tammi,
When we were there last month the Wonderland Tea Party was still offered Monday through Friday!

To the OP...thanks for posting this!

I always wanted to stay there but DH always thought it looked too 'snotty.' I kept saying "no way, it's gorgeous." Then this last trip, we had breakfast there and ya know...the people really are snotty! (at least the CM's we encountered) I still think it's gorgeous but I'm no longer itching to stay there. I now thank DH that we never spent that much money there! Whew...close one!

I'm sorry that your experience was so awful but I do hope that it will help others to make a more informed choice.

Thanks again! :)

Just my 2¢ - I just stopped comparing Disney hotels to hotels in the real world, because to me they are apples and oranges.

I don't feel that if you'd , for example, plop the Grand Floridian down down in many other locations with other 4 and 5 star hotels they would do very well. Honestly, I don't think they'd make the cut anywhere but at WDW.

BUT - I pay the extra money for a WDW hotel because of the view of the castle, the walk to EPCOT, and the monorail. I pay for WDW music and the themes at the hotels and 24 hour pretending and it's worth it to me. Many others must feel the same, because they charge the big bucks because they can get the big bucks!

DisneyFans4 said:
Roxanne-
I know exactly how you feel and as you can see from my history it's why I'm going back in a few weeks.
After my last stay on Disney property at the Poly and with the horrible experience I had during that trip I thought I would try the Swan and I am hooked!!!
The level of service was unbelievable and we were treated so well.
It's why we're going back!!!!

I know you will have a great trip!! :banana: I can say I never really had any memorable probs with a WDW resort and loved them all but even staying concierge in DL and WDW it just doesn't compare to the service the S&D give everyone. Nevermind the $$$$ difference.

What got me thinking too was the refurb going on at the Poly and Contemporary...the rooms are gonna have major upgrades yet WDW still can charge $$$$ for the OLD rooms. :teeth:

Maybe I am getting old but I will make my own magic for a $250 difference per night in a heavenly bed. :earseek:

Have a magical trip for less $$$$!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :teeth:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter