• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

Good evening!

Had a great weekend at Niagara Falls. Camped with two other families. We managed to check out late and sat around the campfire making lunch. I ate too many hotdogs. We just don't eat that crap and they were good. Only had half a bun though but scarfed down a couple of wieners and one s'more. Managed berries for a snack. Other than the hotdogs, my diet was pretty good. My clothes smell all smokey good.

I managed to get in a 4k walk at a fast walk pace and 35 minutes of lengths in the pool yesterday.

Contrary to every fibre in my body I am heading out for a 5k run shortly to get a run in today. Will try for a good run tonight despite my lack of enthusiasm. Eating a banana and coffee to manufacture some energy.

Tomorrow is a track day. Eek. Hard, hard work. Coach says we'll do 200 meter sprinting sessions with 200 meter recovery runs, x8, with a warm up and cool down of about 1k each.

A little scared to step on the scale because I have been exceptionally good to see the weight go down about 2 lbs per week (it is soooooo hard for me to lose weight). Worried that my weekend may have sabotaged that. However, it's not like I ate 6000 calories or anything. But still, worried. I just figure that because I am working out 1-1.5 hours a day and really having a terrific diet to see just 2 pounds per week gone that if I slip up I won't see anything lost. Oh well, we had fun and ate camp food. Tomorrow I can get back to regular eating.

Dinner tonight is basmati rice, corn on the cob, raw veggies, and pork souvlaki-style skewers (lean). I'll eat a small dinner only.

Good morning!

I did go out for my 5k on Sunday. It was a fantastic run and a little fast for me. Ran it in 38 minutes, and while not super fast race pace, it was a good speedy run for me where I didn't feel winded or tired at all.

Monday was a track day. We did a 1.6k warm up, a 1.6 cool down, an 8 repeats of 200 meters at 6:15/km with an active recovery of another 200 meters at 8:00/km. So in total was 5.6k. Was way easier than 16 repeats of 100 meters that we did the week before!

Tuesday I tried an hour class of Zumba. Nope, not for me. I am the least coordinated person on the planet and my hips are too tight. I found it challenging to replicate the moves, but got a good workout.

Wednesday, yesterday, was a 7.5k tempo run. 1k warm up, 1k cooldown and 5.5k at 7:30 pace. It was tough to maintain the pace for the whole 5.5k pace, but I managed with only 1 small break to take off my jacket. Was not in a good place emotionally starting the race.

Today is a rest day! :cool1:

Tomorrow coach has told me to do 11k - eek. My longest run yet. I don't think there is a time limit, just get 'er done. Scared. I like short runs! Last long run before my race on the 13th.

Best news for last: I MADE MY WEIGHT GOAL! I have lost (more than) 41 pounds! Started this journey at 270# and on Monday was 229! :banana::banana::banana::banana: So thrilled. That is more than 6 points on the BMI scale. I will post a pic on my birthday - May 19.

I have decided on another goal of getting to 189. I will see how I feel then. I'd like to lose it my half marathon day. That is about a pound a week. Doable.

Hope you all have a fab day.

Best news for last: I MADE MY WEIGHT GOAL! I have lost (more than) 41 pounds! Started this journey at 270# and on Monday was 229! :banana::banana::banana::banana: So thrilled. That is more than 6 points on the BMI scale. I will post a pic on my birthday - May 19.

I have decided on another goal of getting to 189. I will see how I feel then. I'd like to lose it my half marathon day. That is about a pound a week. Doable.

Hope you all have a fab day.

:cheer2::cheer2:WTG!!!:cheer2::cheer2:

Here is a pic from this morning at the gym:

543684_10150720427481931_683161930_9763863_1725315107_n-1.jpg

And another:

575298_10150720428696931_683161930_9763876_211988515_n.jpg

Feeling really good in my skin!

Carolynn! Sorry I have been absent, but I had to come on by and congratulate on reaching your goal. I think your next one sounds reachable too, you can do it! :-)

Mike

Hi!

Yesterday I biked for an hour (15K) and today I ran 6.5k with a 1k warm up, 4.5k at 7:33/k and a 1 k cool down.

Keeping busy!

Yesterday I also did a couple of hours of gardening and my hamstrings and glutes are feeling all the bending over! Our lawn/yard is no longer the shame of the neighbourhood!

Heading for a nap now. Love naps on sunny warm days. Truly one of the pleasures in life.

Good afternoon!

Yesterday I did nothing because I went to an overnight spa-aaaaahhhhhh. It was awesome. Ate, lounged, was massaged, laughed a lot, and got silly.

This morning I did 20 minutes of cardio. Tonight I am meeting Coach and we are running with the marathon club of a local running store. Coach is super sore after doing a 44k trail run on Saturday and a full marathon on Sunday (um, I know. Who *does* that? AND it's part of his *training* as an ultramarathoner).) When I expressed concern that my coach was asking me to run with the marathoners, he assured me it would be fine as they had all run their first marathon on Sunday and would be limping and sore. Ergo: I could keep up this week! LOL! Then we will go out for dinner (my treat!) and discuss my race on Sunday.

I did my weigh in yesterday and I am down 5# to report that I am now at 225#. Losing 5 in one week is a bit much. I am not eating enough. Hoping to lose just 2-3 this week. Grand total lost: 45# since July 1st. Yay!

congrats on your new number!!!

It must have felt so good keeping up with marathoners.
I was taking to DS15's teammate yesterday and we were talking about how much running is mental. He uses canes to walk but he still does the 100m race. Yesterday he shaved 13 seconds off his time and didn't run the last heat like usual. Not being in that last heat mentally boosted him and his time reflected that.

Keep up the good work!!

Here are some photos:

579253_10150790387771931_683161930_9829020_296304161_n.jpg

581879_10150790172681931_683161930_9828103_610042691_n.jpg

542004_10150790381616931_683161930_9828980_1554276709_n.jpg

The race went well. My coach has given me some good advice:

-only a very light breakfast (I had a banana and small coffee)
-to eat one gel 30 minutes before run
-drink only a little bit of water in the morning, then none
-carry no water (too heavy, won't need it for only 10k)
-run the first half of the 10k at a conservative speed, at a pace I could maintain, and to resist shooting out of the gate like everyone else would
-run the second half as a race and give it my all
-no walk breaks!
-no water on the course, unless just to wet my mouth but no swallowing

The course is mainly a downhill course, down Yonge Street. The first 7k were downhill on a slight incline with two small hills. Yonge Street is a huge landmark street, and in the very middle of the city. All the streetcars and cars were stopped for the race- very cool to be running down this street with no traffic.

At 4k I walked through the water station for about 20 seconds, and spit out my water.

I found km 5-6 hard. Was getting tired.

At 7k I stopped for a porta potty- I hate running with any sensation of having to pee and I felt like I was going to be need to be as comfortable as possible to finish the race strong. Spit out some more water at this water station.

8.5-9.5k was very, very hard. I was so tired. So DONE. I stopped to walk but became a bit panicked that that didn't even feel better!! I was nauseous and had bodily sensations of anxiety. I was seeing my time goal as possible, but close. I really had to talk myself down of the ledge. I started running again after about 20 seconds and could just see the finish line canopy.

I saw someone I knew, a former client, cheering people on and we connected glances and smiles. That was nice. Then about 200 meters from the finish I saw my coach (he had biked down for the race - about a 120km roundabout trip in the end!) and he looked at his watch. That was my cue to dash - and I gave it my all. I ran as fast as I could with my best attempt at form, and crossed the line. I stopped my watch and it said 1:14:23. I made my time!!!! I went over to where my coach was against the barrier and we punched fists and I showed him my time. Sweet! Except I felt like barfing.

My coach had predicted my time to almost the minute. He said I'd do 1:15. 1:19 was my time to beat, and 1:10 was my dream time.

I collected my medal and recovered. I met up with my sister about 20 minutes later. She finished about 5 minutes after me, but we don't know for sure because she lost her timing chip, and the timer overhead was from the first gun time, not our heat.

The sun came out and we meandered around, and walked to our car. We had parked it at the finish line earlier, which was such a good move.

Today my quads are a bit sore, and my shin spot is hurting, but other than that, I am good.

The coach said, "we have a lot of work to do, next goal race is Disney [half]. Get ready to work". Eek!

This race was hard - twice as far???!?!??? What am I thinking?

Hmm, I wonder why he said no water. I can't do more than 5K without something to drink, I get so nauseous.

Great job on the time!! I'm glad you made your goal. You look great!

Excellent job! That advice about not "shooting out the gate" is great advice regardless of the length of the race!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter