• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teppenyaki & food allergies

I was just thinking, we have ADR's for Teppanyaki, my DH has a food allergy to wheat, gluten, etc.

I know that if they use soy sauce (99% of them contain wheat) he can not eat what would be made on the grill in front of us. Will they make him his own dinner in the "back" or something along those lines?

Anyone have experience with that?

THANKS!

There is a new passporter guide for people with special needs. One whole section deals with food allergies and it addresses almost every restaurant. I was able to check it out of our local library but it would be well worth buying. I'm allergic to nuts and soy and basically Teppanaki and Nine Dragons (and all the asian counter services) were listed as totally avoid (they use peanut oil and soy is in nearly everything). With restaurants that cook like that on a big communal grill cross contamination is unavoidable. I'm sure with notice they could come up with some type of separate meal but personally I like to have some choice in what I'm eating and not feel totally singled out.

from everything I've read here, Disney is awesome about working with food allergies - but I might reconsider going to Teppanyaki. It's worth a call to ask about the soy sauce - if the sauce is ok, it would be easy to ask that they don't prepare the noodles for your table. if the sauce has wheat, I can't imagine there isn't cross-contamination from the soy and the noodles all over the place.

I know how hard it is to get variety in eating out - FIL has Celiac and we end up at places that offer steak/potato/salad a lot when he's along.

I have been at Teppenyaki when there was a person with allergies to seafood while some people at the table were having seafood. The chef completed all the non-seafood portions of the meal before putting the shrimp on the grill. This prevented any cross-contamination.

I have an allergy to wheat and we went to teppanyaki this past June. What they did for me was cook my meal before anyone else's on the freshly cleaned grill. They also substituted steamed rice for fried rice and brought wheat/gluten free soy sauce from the back. It worked fine for me but depending on how sensitive your son's allergy is it may or may not be okay for you. As others have said, Disney is absolutely wonderful with allergies; so don't worry too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter