• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tent Camping

ges2mom

Earning My Ears
My family loves tent camping, especially in the fall. We are heading to WDW October 12-17 and have not decided on a place to stay. We have stated at all the moderate resorts and All-Star movies. We want to do something new.
We have a great tent, that is very comfortable that has been used everywhere from the beach to the mountains.
Has anyone tent camp at Ft. Wilderness, what advise can you give. What is the temps like.

ges2mom, welcome to the DIS Camping Board. :welcome: :disrocks:

I have a popup camper that sometimes we have put a tent with it. We go to the Fort about once a year (mostly around spring break but see my signature for specifics).

First the easy question: the weather is wonderful in October. Highs in the 80s, lows in the 60s. Here is the Accuweather link for Oct 2013 which shows that actual temps for each day and the historical averages.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/orlando-fl/32801/month/328169?monyr=10/01/2013

As far as advice, you can put the tent on the sand pad in the Tent, Full, or Preferred sites (those are listed in order of cost least to most). The Tent loops (1500 and 2000), the Full (1600, 1700, 1800, 1900), and Preferred (loops 100, 200, 300) vary depending on what location you want (near the beach, near the pool, etc), your budget, and availability.

Folks staying at Fort Wilderness sound like they spend more time relaxing and hanging around the resort than people do at the resort hotels. If you plan to be in the parks every day, you will miss the magic of the Fort. We spend one day in the parks for every day we are NOT in the parks and THOSE are mostly spent around the Fort. The Fort has lots of recreational activities not available at the other resorts plus some benefits like the upper end WDW resorts (view of the fireworks over the MK for example).

You sound like an experienced camper if you have a great tent so I say do it and you will most probably find you like it.

Bama ED

PS - come back at us with more questions or keep reading here to learn more.

We have been traveling to Disney for several years and have also stayed at several different resorts. This past Thanksgiving we stayed at the Fort for the first time and loved it. As Bama Ed stated, 80 degree days and 60 degree nights. Very comfortable. We are heading back to the fort the first week of April and again in June. We stayed in a teardrop in the 200 loop which was great due to the proximity to the Settlement Trading post and the marina to catch a boat to the MK. If your family enjoys camping, then you will love the Fort.
Others with more experience at the Fort could offer advice concerning renting golf carts. With the exception of the MK, we drive to the parks. From all that I have read here, golf carts can make traveling the Fort easier and somewhat enjoyable. I believe that Disney discourages driving in the Fort as much as possible. That is reassuring if you have kids who may go exploring.

Hey Bama Ed, what did you think about national signing day???? ROLL @#$% TIDE!! How about the SEC. Even my Wildcats did well!! party:

We LOVE tent camping at the Fort. We have been camping there 1 to 2 times a year for the past 6 years. We have gone during all 4 seasons, but our favorite time to camp there is in the fall (early November).

The Christmas decorations come out. We love The Osbourne Lights which appear around the 8th or 9th, and we like to decorate our own site in lights. It's our way of kicking off the holiday season.

The temps are great in the fall. One year, we did have a few cool days (no pool), but nothing unmanageable. Just sweatshirt and long pants kind of days. We've also had the 80's, so pack for all weather.

The Fort is a much more relaxing environment than the resorts. Don't be surprised if your kids want to spend more time there.

Have a great trip!

Hey Bama Ed, what did you think about national signing day???? ROLL @#$% TIDE!! How about the SEC. Even my Wildcats did well!! party:

Nick Saban owns National Signing Day.

Bama's been in the top 5 in recruiting since Nick's first full year (mostly at #1). He's got 3 natties the last 5 years to show for it.

Bama had more 5-stars sign Wednesday than the entire Big10 (B1G) Conference.

Or the Big12 Conference.

Your K-Wildcats came through surprisingly well (#17 in Rivals). MaStoops has got you guys on a roll. Although we beat you handily last season, I was impressed because there was no "quit" in Kentucky. They played hard the whole game.

LSU impressed with the way they closed, 10-R-C had a strong class that they had locked in for a long time. The SEC had 7 of the top 9 teams in Rivals (aTm, GA, FL, and bringing up the rear Auburn were at #6, #7, #8, #9 respectively). In fact, Kevin Sumlin, the aTm coach (and raised in Bama, btw), commented when a reporter congratulated him about the #6 ranking, he said, "yeah, but we finished 3rd in our division (Bama and LSU ahead)". :lmao:

Spring Practice starts soon! :cheer2:

Bama Ed

PS - some of the apologistas who failed on the star count in other conferences will try to counter with the academics argument... :rolleyes1

PPS - honestly, Saban has a heart. He's giving this medical redshirt scholarship to an incoming freshman

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/recruiting/alabama-honors-scholarship/

If James Franklin would have stayed at Vanderbilt, they possibly could have broke a top 20 ranking..... at least a top 25. Vanderbilt's academics (along with other SEC schools) could rival any college in the country. As far as Saban goes, obvious class act. I saw where he had honored the scholarship. All a part of what makes him a winner. SEC :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Since you are seasoned campers, it will be easier than most. As you will already have most of the stuff.

Are you driving or flying? Camping at FW has been done both way.

Embrace the camping as it is great time of year at the fort. You can always make two resies and if the week looks bad for camping you can cancel and stay in a hotel.:cool1:

Showers and restrooms are great, so no worry there. How are you going to eat? meal plan, cook at site? site / park food? this will also determine your gear requirements.

SP

Thanks for all the advise.
My 3 guys have decided that we are camping and we are all excited. We are Scouts and family camp about 4 times a year and the boys camp about every other month. We drive everywhere, it is gives us more freedom and saves money.
Planning on taking the bikes for the kids so they can get around the FW.
I love the Disney Dining Plan, do you know if you can get the Free Dining when WDW offers it while staying at FW?
We eat breakfast (nothing beats Mountain Man Breakfast to start your day) at the resort and have lunch and dinner at the parks. If I can not get the free dining I will have to make adjustments to the plans.

Thanks
Roll Tide!!!:thanks::thanks:

That is so not cool that you can stay at a WDW resort but you do not get all the special deals.
Super BUMMED:sad2:

I have tent camped at FW...love having my bike there. Also enjoyed having a screened dining tent over the picnic table and camp chairs to lounge around in (I even take mine to the campfire and sing along...those benches get hard fast!). Make sure you bring along extension cords and outlet strips for heaters, fans, lights, etc. A rope light for the site is helpful for when you will be coming back late or making trips to the comfort station in the dark. A shower/potty tent with a porta potty of some type is terrific, too.

Planning my first tent camping trip to FW for early fall. What length extension cord will I need (min/max). Do the paths/walkways/roads have any kind of lighting?

Planning my first tent camping trip to FW for early fall. What length extension cord will I need (min/max). Do the paths/walkways/roads have any kind of lighting?

25 will probably do, but I'd bring a 50 foot to be sure. Yes there is pathway lighting, again, I'd bring a flashlight.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter