1 Large “ “ (Tent Ground Cover)
Rope
Bungee Cords
2 Air Pumps (1 Car Electric/1 Manual)
3 Hammers (1 Claw/2 Tent Peg)
Small Axe
Saw
Brush & Dustpan
Tent Carpet ( you put this outside the tent to wipe feet before entering)
Magnetic Tent Light
Push Tent Lite
Shovel
3 Air Pillows
Frisbee
Darts Game
Lantern Holder
2 Bicycle Hooks
3 Extra Elec. Lantern Bulbs
Extra Aurora Headlight Bulb
Extra Flashlight Bulb
Air Mattress & Tent Patch Kits
4 Light Sticks
Tent Taut-ties
Sun Shower
Cutting Board
1 Igniter
Color Flames
Fatwood
Firelighters
Tent Sponge
Duct Tape

MISCELLANEOUS BIN

4 Propane Tanks
Corn Popper
Jiffy Pop Popcorn
Toaster
Paper Towels
Paper Plates
Napkins
Toilet Paper
Fire Starters
2 Insect Repellent Sprays
Bee Repellent
4 Ponchos
2 Hooded Rain Jackets
Garbage Bags
Coffee Pot
Coffee Pot w/o percolator
Ziploc Bags (Quart Size)
4 Bowls
Pot
4 Metal Cups
4 Trays
Griddle
Cutting Board
Hammock
Anti-Bacterial Wipes
Toilet Bags
2 Sterno
Smores Maker

We love to tent camp. We bought a new tent 3 years ago. I researched tents for a long time, decided on the Columbia Cougar Flats II. We love it!! I would definitely buy this tent again.

This is the tent we have as well and I LOVE it!!!! One downside(which I don't care for) is that it takes a while to set up and we aren't willing to deal with it for a one night thing. We planned a trip out West last summer and whereas, DH and I used to play it by ear and stay a night here or there, we had to do more advanced planning and actually get campground reservations. The only other problem I've found is that at Yellowstone we were limited by the footprint size in what campground we could use.

I guess I'm a "hater". We have this lovely pop-up camper (formerly known as a tent camper) that we used when the kids were little - they're now 14 and 16. I tolerated it when they were little but now if DH and the kids want to camp I stay home. However, since buying into DVC a few years ago, none of us are excited about camping anymore. I'm 51 years old and I need a good night's sleep every night and I never got that while camping...too noisy, too buggy, too smokey, too everything. I also find camping an INCREDIBLE amount of work!! I guess I've turned into the Old Crab that I feared I might.

I would HIGHLY recommend LLBean for tents. They have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee so if a zipper ever rips or a pole breaks, you can return it no questions asked.

We also like to bring a screen house tent. We have a Eureka one of these that is awesome. It sets up in under five minutes. You can put the picnic table in it along with all your food totes. it has sides that roll up and zip down in case you get bad weather. And the screening keeps the bugs away!

A couple other things we use are:

Frennch press for coffee. Just boil a pot of water and 5 minutes later you have great coffee.

We also bring a grate to barbecue on if you dont have a little gas grill. We just bring a bag of match light charcoal and use the firepit. Put the grill across the tops and you can do steaks, chciken, lobsters, anything!

We tent camp but only once a year at Memorial Day. I don't love it and I don't hate it but I do think it is a lot of work to go camping, packing everything up for 5 people. We camp a little over an hour away and we usually both have to drive because we can't pack everything and fit everybody in the van and also the boys like to take their bicycles. We usually camp for 3 days but last year did 4. I missed having a washer and dryer for 4 days. Definitely have air mattresses. We also bring a plug in cooler so we don't have to worry about ice for the food.

I went tent camping for the 1st time this past summer in the White Mountains. Nice campground. I have always wanted to but I grew up in the city (NY.) I did not love it;) I liked the fire pit and roasting marshmallow and I love the outdoors but I did not like the bugs (my Off fan worked well) the cold in AUGUST (it went down to 50's), or the wildlife waking me up at 2am-haha. Raccoons but we all though it was a bear-scary. I did not like the shared bathrooms even though they were pretty clean. I also agree it is a ton of work! Give me the fire pit at AKL and a nice hotel room:) I will still do it once in a while in the summer. We like to hike the next day.

The most important thing is a good tent, We have only Eureka tents the are a little pricey, but can you really put a price on being dry and warm. We have a youth group and we threw away all the cheap colemans and bought Eureka. Depending on what kind of tent you want most brands have a outlet or search real hard, I got our $800.00 tent for $500.00, then I had to buy another one and I found it for $350.00.

Another person who does not enjoy it. We have tent camped & had a pop up my entire childhood. This is how we vacationed all over the US. As an adult we have tent camped a couple times with the kids and its just not for me. I hate the shared bathrooms, the too hot/cold weather, cooking all the food outside, etc.....way too much work. I would much rather stay in a cheap hotel somewhere & have a soft bed, indoor plumbing, and A/C than camp.

Our family did a lot of camping growing up and DH and I have recently introduced our kids to it. You can definitely use an air mattress and blankets from home. If you do consider purchasing sleeping bags look at the degrees that they are rated to. Cheap ones are not going to provide much warmth if you go camping in the spring and a cold spell hits. Also, if you decide to purchase a mummy bag try it out before you buy it (if possible) to see how it fits on you. Some are much tighter than others.

We have a Coleman stove and I love it. This is what we currently have http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Propane-Grill-Stove/5934460 We always had ones similar to this growing up and they work really well http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Matchlight-2-Burner-Propane-Stove/895629. My recommendation is to always double check that it has all of its parts prior to heading out for your trip. There is nothing fun about a missing propane bottle connector/regulator. Double check that you have enough propane too. I always bring an extra bottle or two as we have a propane lantern and stove.

With lanterns be sure to bring extra batteries or propane depending on what it takes. Also bring extra mantels and matches if it is propane burning! And check to make sure the glass globe isn't broken. We too bring flashlights for middle of the night bathroom trips. While some campground shave path lights, not all do. As others have said, depending on the season and location not all campgrounds will allow fires, so lanterns, flashlights, and a stove might be a must for you.

Tent stakes! The long metal ones are my favorite, especially in areas of wind or hard soil. Don't forget the mallet.

Pot holders for cooking. Since we use a campstove we bring along an old set of pots and pans. Same with dishes, old stuff works well. Or better yet I hit the cheap plastic picnic supplies that you can find at both Target and Walmart come spring/summer. In expensive and you won't cry if you decide to toss it at the end of your trip.

Small tub or two for washing dishes/pots and pans. Dishsoap and a scrubber too. Dishtowel.

Small broom/dust pan for inside the tent.

Aluminum foil for cooking on a grill.

Long handle hotdog roasters/marshmallow roasters.

Matches!!!!

Reservations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some places will be booking now for spring and summer so plan your trip now. You don't want to start looking in April or March for spring/summer camping to find that there is none available.

1st Aid Kit

Folding camp chairs

table cloth and table clamps (I like them).

TP. You hate to be somewhere that runs out. Been there, done that, no fun.

Tarps, for under the tent or over the tent is rain is a possibility. Be sure to bring enough tent stakes for these.

Small hatchet for cutting firewood. Some campgrounds will sell it as you can not bring in outside wood due to disease/insect infestations.

Rubbermade totes are great for storage. Make sure they have lids. If camping in bear country, the campgrounds might have bear boxes that all food/toiletry items must fit into.

Don't assume that the campground has electricity.

Air pump for your air mattress. Either battery powered or car adapter.

Fire extinguisher, you never know what might happen.

A can opener.

Bring your jackets for nighttime temperatures.

ice for the ice chest.

You can try citronella candles to help with bugs.

Plan your meals in advance. I sometimes will cook up ground beef in advance and freeze it for the trip. Just take it out of the ice chest and cook when needed.

Bisquick Shake and Pour pancake mix is easy and requires only water.

A camera to capture your trip :)

Love it. But still like to get the sites with electric and water. Use the electric to easily blow up air mattresses with electric pump. Also bring along my electric skillet with an extension cord. Make pancakes in it for breakfast. Grilled cheese lunch. Haystacks= cube steak, hashbrowns and cheese on top. Mmmm. Chili. Pretty much any quick meal.

Bring a Rubbermaid tote then to do dishes in with dish soap and scrubby pad.

Definitely get double the size tent for the amount of people to sleep in it.
4 people minimum size needed 8 person tent.

Got a cheap Ozark Trail tent on clearance at Walmart has taken us to Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone and Wisconsin Dells and is still doing fine.

When we camped in Yellowstone wish we had brougt are ceramic heater with long extension cord. It was 32 degrees overnight in July:scared1: But we had a ton of blankets and did fine.

Definitely use tote bins for all our gear.

Also recommend Purex sheets for a quick load laundry.

We also stay dry by putting tarps under the tent and over the tent using elaborate rope sytem tied around trees. No nails so trees are not harmed.

We always have had wonderful memories camping and it did save quite a bit of money so we could take long trips.

We bought a 6 person tent at goodwill for $30!! We were totally stunned that it was not only easy to assemble but didnt leak! If you do decide to do the sleeping bag deal, you can get those there too cheap. I know thats where we bought our last batch.

Totally agree about a barrier between you and the air mattress, otherwise it gets quite cold. And it can be way colder at night than during the day, especially anywhere near mountains. It can be 90 degrees during the day and dip to the 50's at night. We always bring down blankets from home.

Have fun! You'll find out from your first trip what you really need. If you have friends that are veteran campers, you could tag along with them and share their camp stove/supplies.

We tent camp around once a year (that is usually our 'vacation' rather than this upcoming Disney trip) and I think folks here in this thread have made great lists of needed items!

We started years ago with nearly nothing and have collected stuff over the years. We got our Coleman Forest Castle tent used (it's probably 20 years old) 10 years ago, it's huge and old-school (it's tall and uses thick pipes rather than the thin poles)! We always get looks and comments on it, most of them nice :rotfl: Over time we picked up stuff at tag sales, like cast iron. I got a coleman stove end of season cheap. Just this year I splurged on a decent air mattress after our lousy one gave out.

This year I need to replace the two kid-sized sleeping bags for our 10 & 7 yo since they're getting small (those have been passed down the line from our sons) so I'll be looking for a deal on those.

Oh, I just remembered-the National Parks are having a couple of free weekends this year, not sure which but you can camp for free. We went to Greenbelt once and did that (near DC).

I'm :scared1: at a $500 tent, especially for people who don't even know if they'll use it more than the first trip! I bought mine from Target for less than $100 20 years ago, and it's still going strong. Well, it would be going strong if I still took it with us. A few years ago, I decided I was too old and decrepit to sleep on the ground anymore, so Lily joined my family. Lily is MY pop-up. She is not our pop-up, she is MINE!

I don't even know if the electric and water work in it since I've never hooked them up. I'm a tent camper who just wanted to get up off the ground to be a bit more comfortable.

I had to convince DH to go camping when we first started, but now he's more into it. I think it was those cross-country road trips out west, and waking up the the view at the National Parks at sunrise. Who can resist seeing the sunrise over the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon, especially when the edge of the canyon is only about 100 feet or so from the where you slept?

Get a couple good-sized tarps. Put one under the tent as a ground cloth, and then take the other and put it inside the tent on the floor. If dirt gets tracked in, it's easy to pull that tarp out and shake off the dirt. A lot easier than trying to sweep it out. Practice putting the tent up at home before you go too. After you've done it a couple times, everyone will know their job and the process is a lot easier. A good tent should come with a rain fly, but if it doesn't buy a tarp for that too.

Depending on where you go, you will want good sleeping bags. If you go to western SD, you will definitely want those rated for a low temperature. It gets cold there at night, even in July.

Anyway, the tips you've gotten on here from others is great. I'd suggest checking out the forums at rv.net for more tips. You'll find all sorts of campers there, from those of us who love canvas to those who take their house (huge rv) with them when they go "camping."

Lily got several nice Christmas presents, so i can't wait until the snow is gone! Although I did camp in the snow last summer. We went to Crater Lake, OR, and we had to dig out our campsite so Lily would fit. I was able to slip my hand between the canvas and the bunk to make a snowball to throw at DH. He deserved it.

I got an AMAZING tent at Cabelas in the bargain cave last spring. It's a Columbia Bugaboo. It was $47.00! It had a tiny pinprick hole in the floor which I fixed with a $2 patch kit. Voila! Good tent for $50. I think it was a return. The tent survived a heck of a windstorm and a wicked rainstorm in the back yard. Not a drop of rain inside.

Definitely get a camp stove. You don't need an expensive one. Mine is a generic one my mom bought me when Ames went out of business. Works great! My camp cookware is yard sale stuff and hand-me-downs. I don't want to use my good cookware over a fire. I also got a cast iron combo cooker for Christmas! That will travel between home and camping.

Edited: Just wanted to say that I grew up camping in a pop up, and bought that pop up from my parents in 2003. We didn't use it much because my husband didn't like camping a whole lot. We sold it and now moved to a tent. Now my DH is more willing to go camping. The camper was old and needed a lot of work, and it was frustrating for him to have to keep repairing it. In the long run, I think camping in a nice tent will be just as comfy as the pop up! We did get a double high airbed for the tent, and DH is delighted to be able to walk all the way around it, instead of climbing over me in the camper.

start with somewhere near home, for 2-3 days at a time..... for 3 people, I like a 7 person tent...a lot of friends have had success with the Coleman brand options from Walmart- they have seemed waterproof and sturdy...
I currently have an overpriced Eureka tent;) ....
a good air mattress plus a sheet set and comforter from home is what I sleep on- my kids use cots from walmart.com with a sleeping bag..... I highly recommend an aerobed brand camping air mattress,they last a LONG time,and are as comfy as a real bed (mine is normal mattress size,not super tall)
I am always cold,so I pack plenty of blankets,etc even tho we camp in summertime....
have fun! I both love and hate it!:thumbsup2
once you're set up, relax and have fun!
oh yeah, def. need a coleman camp stove, don't rely on a fire to cook,that is so harsh...
you can google lots of sites for cooking ideas,plus camping packing lists.

one question...what is a good layer under the air mattress? I do find it colder than the thermarest I used to use....
also the lists noted here are great....I need a couple of things personally.....a solid waterproof tent, a comfortable place to sleep(non- negotiable) , and a screen tent for cooking,eating,hanging out.
I say this b/c on a rainy day,a heavy dew morning, it can be a big deal, I like the walmart easy up gazebo, we sometimes use the screen sides,sometimes not.
getting me psyched up for summer camping.....oh,one more thing, we camp with friends.the kids are busy and happy, the parents can relax and hang out by the fire!

We went last year during Memorial Day weekend for the first time as a family. We had a blast!!! We are going again durning Memorial Day Weekend and going to go a few times durning the summer!!

We tent camped more when the kids were smaller. Now DH doesn't really care for it, and DS is getting more fuddy-duddy about it as well.

I was frustrated because I really like to camp, so DD11 and I took a "chicks' weekend" over Labor Day! It was a great time -- we went fishing and kayaking. It was a great time, and we're planning to go again this spring.

There are some great lists online -- google camping checklist. Also google camping recipes -- Reynolds website has some great foil pocket recipes.

one question...what is a good layer under the air mattress? I do find it colder than the thermarest I used to use....
also the lists noted here are great....I need a couple of things personally.....a solid waterproof tent, a comfortable place to sleep(non- negotiable) , and a screen tent for cooking,eating,hanging out.
I say this b/c on a rainy day,a heavy dew morning, it can be a big deal, I like the walmart easy up gazebo, we sometimes use the screen sides,sometimes not.
getting me psyched up for summer camping.....oh,one more thing, we camp with friends.the kids are busy and happy, the parents can relax and hang out by the fire!

We've graduated from an airmattress to cots (much less work and much more comfortable). But when we had an air mattress I always found that an extra sleeping bag and/or a really think fleece blanket or two was necessary to keep me warm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter