Tent camping Pigeon Forge

campingdadof1son

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know where a good campgroud for tents is in the pigeon Forge area, stayed in cabins but never camped there. Thanks

If you don't need hookups, Elkmont campground inside the GSMNP is beautiful. Huge sites, shaded, and lots of them along a river. It's not right in Pigeon Forge...but if you don't mind being a bit out it is great. Check it out here.

A good tool I use for finding campgrounds and checking their reviews is http://www.epgsoft.com/CampgroundMap/ Zoom in to the area you are interested in and linked will pop up. Select a campground link and there will typically be additional links to the campground website as well as to RV Park Reviews. If you zoom into the Pigeon Forge area you can explore campgrounds that may fit your needs.

Hope this helps.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

That is AWESOME!

I have recommended RVParkReviews.com for years, despite the fact that finding a campground by area was an enormous pain. This site provides a very intuitive map to find sites and links to the reviews on RVParkReviews! THIS ROCKS! Thanks for sharing Dave!

:santa:

I have tent camped once PF. It was a nice campground, but it was an RV type park. We had a site next to a stream, but really it was not what I would want for tent camping. In my research before the trip I found that most places within PF are RV parks. If you are cool without water I think that the GSMNP is the best choice. It will be much cooler and better shade. I have never actually camped there. I would not be able to recommend beyond that.

The best spot to tent camp near pigeon forge is in a town called Cosby which is about a 25 min drive from Piegon forge. It is very similar to Elkmont but much more secluded. It is located right in the smiokey mountian national park just as Elkmont is but you don't get every tourist driving through to check it out. If your looking for a little more amenities, we camp at Smokey Bear campsite on 301 in a small area called Cobley Knob. The camp grounds are privately owned and is a great location. Check them out at smokybearcampground.com

Hey, check your pm's : )

I have to agree with the Elkmont suggestion if you dont need hookups. Especially if you can get a site that is streamside.

It depends also upon what you are planning to do while there. Most campgrounds in Pigeon Forge are not geared to tent campers. I would recommend the KOA in Townsend. It was called Little River. They have some nice tent sites and it's a beautiful area. You are right near the park and also a short 20 minute (traffic free) drive up to Pigeon Forge. Another campground I would recommend is the Great Smoky Jellystone. They have some nice tents sites and its a great campground. If you decide on the Cosby area, let me know and I can send you directions from there to Pigeon Forge going the traffic free backway.

I have been through most of the campgrounds in the area. I have pics of many of them. If you want to send me a pm, I will send you a link to my pics.

I have recommended RVParkReviews.com for years, despite the fact that finding a campground by area was an enormous pain. This site provides a very intuitive map to find sites and links to the reviews on RVParkReviews! THIS ROCKS! Thanks for sharing Dave!

:santa:
No problem! I don't remember how I stumbled upon that map, but it has been SOOO helpful when planning trips. Whoever put it together deserves a lot of thanks.

No problem! I don't remember how I stumbled upon that map, but it has been SOOO helpful when planning trips. Whoever put it together deserves a lot of thanks.

That is a terrific tool, I'll be using it for sure!

Odd though, we don't seem to have any campgrounds here in Canada! :rolleyes1

Maybe they'll be added in an update sometime!

Hey, check your pm's : )

I have to agree with the Elkmont suggestion if you dont need hookups. Especially if you can get a site that is streamside.

It depends also upon what you are planning to do while there. Most campgrounds in Pigeon Forge are not geared to tent campers. I would recommend the KOA in Townsend. It was called Little River. They have some nice tent sites and it's a beautiful area. You are right near the park and also a short 20 minute (traffic free) drive up to Pigeon Forge. Another campground I would recommend is the Great Smoky Jellystone. They have some nice tents sites and its a great campground. If you decide on the Cosby area, let me know and I can send you directions from there to Pigeon Forge going the traffic free backway.

I have been through most of the campgrounds in the area. I have pics of many of them. If you want to send me a pm, I will send you a link to my pics.

have you been to river plantation campground a few miles from pigeon forge

have you been to river plantation campground a few miles from pigeon forge

We spent three nights in River Plantation last April.

It's quite nice and relatively quiet. All the amenities you need and close to all the tourist attractions.

We enjoyed it, but if you are looking for rustic tranquility, this isn't it. It's in the heart of the tourist area in Sevierville, just on the Pigeon Forge boundary.

Once again, we enjoyed it. They have WiFi, full hook-up with sewer, clean and comfortable restrooms and it's close to the action.

Thanks for the info , we are booked for 5 night there the end of July , I was more interested in it being big rig friendly we have a 40' motorhome with 3 slides and some campgrounds are very tight for us . I booked a river site, we will drive to see the Rustic side of things , I almost booked Twin River (I think thats the name) in Galinburg but DH didn't want to drive in that kind of traffic.
Thanks!!! I am afraid the Fort has spoiled us for other campgrounds:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter