• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tennis shoes? really?

mommy2_3

DIS Veteran
I am having a bunch of my friends tell me that when we go down to Fl. me and my family need to wear tennis shoes, not sandals. i HATE wearing tennis shoes in the heat. i dont plan on wearing flip flops, just some nice comfy sandals. but everyone keeps telling me im going to get bad blisters and just make myself miserable. i have these sandals that just have one big strap that goes over the front of my foot. no strap where my heel is, nothing in between my toes. i plan on bringing my tennis shoes just in case. though i think i will be more comfortable in my sandals.

I was told the same thing- and I live in flops during the summer.. however, I'm taking their advice.
Skechers makes a super lightweight tennis shoe.. the tops are made of a thin mesh material that dries quickly. Its the GoWalk, GoRun, GoPlay (for kids) line. I bought everyone in my family a pair of those specifically for Disney. The soles of the shoes are made of a material that feels like Crocs, but they aren't quite as hideous.. lol
No offense to the Crocs wearers out there- we love ours, even if they are ugly. :)
I've heard good things about Keens and Teva water sandals.. maybe thats an option?! They're kinda pricey and I'd never wear them outside of Disney so that's why we opted for the Skechers.
And some people swear by Crocs. I think they'd give me blisters.
I've heard putting BodyGlide on your feet help with blisters.. I ordered some but its not in yet.
I think I've done too much research. LOL

You need to wear whatever shoes are the most comfy FOR YOU.
I usually wear my teva sandals. Like you, I hate wearing sneaks in the hear

My wife and daughters wore sandals and flip flops almost exclusively in The World with no issues. I wouldn't wear anything new though.

On the flip side, my coworker got terrible blisters wearing his running shoes. Even though they weren't new shoes, it was the first time he wore them WALKING instead of running. And it didn't work out at all.

I wear tevas in the parks and I love them. I've never had a blister. I have a pair of terra fi sandals and a pair of omniums. I got mine on amazon for about $50 per pair.

I hate wearing sneakers in the heat. Plus, the sandals dry quickly, no wet socks and shoes. Perfect for water rides and sudden rainshowers.

I got blisters from my sandals and my sneakers. I think the real issue is whether or not you are used to walking in the shoes for long periods of time. All my shoes were broken in, but none had ever gotten constant use for 16 hours a day.

I've worn my favorite leather flip flops from American Eagle for the past two years virtually exclusively to Disney and never had any problems. Whatever you are comfortable walking in will be fine!

I usually take good walking sandals (tevas, keens, etc.) and a pair of tennis shoes and switch off when we take our mid-day break.

I never wear tennis shoes in the summer. Anywhere. As soon as the flowers start to bloom my open toed shoes come out until the snows flies again! :) I have made many, many trips to Disney in everything from Birkenstock sandals, to cheap flip- flops, to lands end thong sandals. I have never had a problem. I don't typically wear the same shoe two days in a row - just to avoid rubbing in the same spot....I think the real key is that they're shoes you have worn A LOT and broken in really well....like others have said, find what's comfortable to you!

I've seen people walking through the parks in high heels -- now, THAT is something I don't understand! Yikes!

You really need to bring two pairs of shoes.

I agree completely. I alternate between crocs and crocs flip-flops. The flip flops are cute but the crocs are ugly, ugly, ugly but they feel good. Wear whatever will make you comfortable.

I started to get blisters on my toes from my sneakers while at WDW so I refuse to wear them to the parks anymore.

The good thing about being an adult is that you don't have to take the advice of other people.

I always bring a pair of sneaker, and I always spend the entire week in my Teva Mush flip flops. The sneakers are my insurance, but I've always been completely comfortable in the shoes I spend the majority of my summer wearing.

You have a husband and 4 kids, so I imagine you're an adult. Thank them for their advice, then do as you think best.

If it turns out you were wrong, you take a cab to a store and buy yourself some sneakers.

I took that advice once and wore sneakers in the summer. UGH! Never again. Now I'll only wear sneakers if it's a winter trip.

I wear the plain Nike flip flops on my trips and I've never had a problem. I did buy some expensive walking sandals one year and they were good, too. Except when they got wet the leather took awhile to dry so they felt uncomfortable for the rest of the day. Then they started to smell funny...lol.

My kids always wear their flip flops and never had a problem.

Keens all the way. I'm wearing mine right now. I think they're the best hybrid of sandal/sneaker. I couldn't wear sneakers either- too hot. And if they get wet? Forget it. Mine have held up for years now, and it's easy to get ones for kids that are gender neutral so you can pass them down and get more for your money. I have two boys, but for others that might be an issue.

Edited to add that last time we went it was December we wore Keens the whole time.

I always wear my Crocs. They do actually make some that aren't as ugly as the originals. I recently bought some GoWalks for our Disney Cruise and they were great! And not hideous!

I alternate between my ugly crocs, and my sneakers. I usually wears Asics gel sneakers. Somedays I carry a backpack so that I have my crocs if I need to change shoes.

I wear my Sketchers trainers to the parks and haven't had a problem.

I always take 2 pairs with me as well. I have my Tevas that I usually wear during the day. At night I switch to a pair of Nikes that have the mesh on top and allow my feet to breath. Along with wearing my Nikes, I have some good pairs of moisture wicking socks that I also wear.

If I sense I may start to get a blister, I also take along some mole skin. I will put some on and stop the blister before it starts.

I alternate between sneakers, flops and sandals. I would bring a few options and see what works best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter