TEMPORARY Refrigerator Removal from WDW Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of posters have brought up needing to refrigerate medication. While insulin isn't the only one, it's the most common - so I did a little research. This is from the BD website http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7247:

While the above referenced information is true of some insulins it is not true of all. I was taking Novolog and Lantus which it is true of but recently was switched to Levemir in place of my Lantus which requires to be kept refrigerated before and after opening to avoid loss of potency.

I know there are various other medication that need to be kept refrigerated.

I have to wonder if after putting the refrigerators in the Value rooms if Disney kept the small medical refrigerator units (shoebox size) they previously had for guests needing them for medical reasons or if these were discarded? I hope they still have them as it will be a big help with the current situation

We have multiple allergy/food issues in our group of 8 headed down to WDW in a few weeks. I was planning on all 3 fridges to store leftovers/special foods for the kids. We will have one small cooler with us for the drive down, and have requested at least one fridge between the 3 rooms. We can make do with that, but we may have to sacrifice one sink (or maybe even a tub?!?) to become another "cooler". I feel a little sorry for our mousekeeper already...

Below is the email response I received from the Poly IPO this morning. We are arriving next week.

Aloha!

We are replacing certain refrigerators in the rooms, however, we are putting another refrigerator in the rooms, your room will have one. If for some reason you get in your room and there is not one, we will get you one. Hope you have a Magical Day!
Mahalo,

Saw this on another site: We were just able to confirm that the fridges in the Family Suites at Disney's Art of Animation Resort, as well as the Family Suites at Disney's All-Star Music Resort, are NOT affected by this removal.

Can a TA confirm?

Was this confirmed?

I'm not sure it's fair to compare Disney resorts to other hotels. I've stayed at hotels around the world but never had to pay in full 45 days in advance. I've also never paid $400/night for an entire week like I will be at AKL next week. I would suggest that an in-room refrigerator is standard for hotel rooms exceeding $400/night in the United States.

I understand the refrigerators need to be removed for safety reasons, no option there really. But I'm troubled that Disney didn't feel the need to notify me. We arrive in 10 days. It's a minor adjustment for us since we're driving and don't have a medical issue, but an email from Disney would seem appropriate. I've received maps, reservation documents, luggage tags, plenty of ads and bounceback offers, and my Disney MasterCard bill in the mail and almost daily emails from the Disney Store. I little communication would have gone a long way here.

The reality is that if this is the biggest issue I have to deal with on my vacation, it's going to be a great trip. But it wasn't handled very well by Disney from a PR perspective.

:thumbsup2
This is the problem that I have with the whole situation. The absence of communication in this instance tells me that $$$ is at the root of this behavior. Disney is fully aware that many families count on the refrigerators for beverages, perishables, and as well as meds; it would have been common courtesy to notify anyone who has a reservation within the next week or so. At this point, I don't care if they give me a fridge the size of a shoebox as long as I can keep the meds cold.

:thumbsup2
This is the problem that I have with the whole situation. The absence of communication in this instance tells me that $$$ is at the root of this behavior. Disney is fully aware that many families count on the refrigerators for beverages, perishables, and as well as meds; it would have been common courtesy to notify anyone who has a reservation within the next week or so. At this point, I don't care if they give me a fridge the size of a shoebox as long as I can keep the meds cold.

Exactly! They took the initiative to alert the TA's but not people booked directly with Disney and arriving in the coming weeks, Not good at All!

sjs314 said:
Exactly! They took the initiative to alert the TA's but not people booked directly with Disney and arriving in the coming weeks, Not good at All!

They are starting to now. I've seen 4-5 posts today from people reporting they received a letter or email from Disney with the news.

Ugh, not good! :scared: I guess we could put ice in one of the bathroom sinks and put our water bottles in there. :scratchin If we were driving I would just bring a cooler, but I would hate to have to lug one on the plane. Cold water is a serious need for us, especially at night. Hmmmmmm......

31 makes a huge colapsable cooler than can be folded flat to fit in a suitcase

They are starting to now. I've seen 4-5 posts today from people reporting they received a letter or email from Disney with the news.

I've only seen posts from people staying CL saying they rec'd a note from IPO.

I hope you are correct and they are notifying all guests not just CL

I just retired from Whirlpool and can tell you we make 30,000 dishwashers a day. The fridge plant has about the same scedual so it Disney needs fridges they can call and order them and have them delivered in next to no time. Days not months. wake up Disney call a major manufacture and order them.

We are going to PO Riverside in Sept.
We really were counting on the Fridge. You see, husband needs his coffee and half in half in the morning, and we're on a limited budget. We aren't big eaters, and would probably just have cereal for breakfast in the room in the morning. This sort of deep sixe's that.
The last time we went away-to SC-we rented a condo so we could have all the comforts of home, including a kitchen.
We decided to do this for a change because husband can only get away for a little bit and we've never done Disney together.
Can we fill the sink with ice, etc? Sure. But will it last all day? probably not. And we shouldn't have do to that.
This is very inconvenient, and unfair to those who really were counting on a fridge. (by the way, we stay at Hampton Inn's and most of them have small fridges now which we like, as we can put our drinks and half and half for coffee in there).

I paid for a room with a freg in it. I will be using it fully for my family next month at the Yacht Club. I am very aggravated. I do believe if I can not get what I paid for, that I should be compensated for that!

I paid for a room with a freg in it. I will be using it fully for my family next month at the Yacht Club. I am very aggravated. I do believe if I can not get what I paid for, that I should be compensated for that!

It is on the Disney Travel Agent, that guests will be credited $15/night to enable them to make cold item purchases, if a refrigerator is requested but not available.

I agree!! We will be staying in WDW for 11 days in Aug. There is no way we can add on the additional cost of buying a bowl of cereal for a family of 5 every day for the length of our trip!! PLUS cold drinks....keeping our fruit cold!! Watch the ice machines go down now from over-use!! This is the pits!:sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1:

You're quite welcome to believe that if you like, but I'm guessing you didn't read the small-print. Of course Disney may voluntarily help out, but they are not obliged to.

This news only broke 24 hours ago and they have many tens of thousands of fridges to check right across property - give them some time to work out the next steps before looking for blood!

Andre

Or you could use a cooler as one of your pieces of luggage...

Really? We already have to pay $50 for checked bags. I don't think we really want to pay $50 for a cooler to store our cold items that we can no longer store in the fridge that was supposed to be included in the cost of our room. And it's not the money, it's the principle. Yes, safety first. However, they've got to figure out a way to handle this better. I'm still going to give them a little time to work out the kinks since this just broke yesterday.

I don't think anyone is freaking out. We are feeling inconvenienced and expressing our displeasure. I don't need a refrigerator for food for meals. I want a refrigerator (as was advertised to me) for drinks. Yes, I could use a drippy, wet, cheap cooler (if I pay to order one and have it delivered) but it's messy, wet and not my idea of staying in a nice hotel. I will survive but I will definitely be dissatisfied if I don't have a fridge. I dislike poor customer service. I work and have clients. When something goes wrong, my company figures out how to make it up to our clients, even if what went wrong was beyond our control and even if it's a small thing. Why? Because we pride ourselves on good customer service and we want our clients to be happy with us and come back. We don't just tell our clients, sorry, this service ( or whatever) we advertised and said you would have is no longer available due to circumstances beyond our control and you will just have to figure something else out on your own.

:thumbsup2 Yes, this.

I'm not sure it's fair to compare Disney resorts to other hotels. I've stayed at hotels around the world but never had to pay in full 45 days in advance. I've also never paid $400/night for an entire week like I will be at AKL next week. I would suggest that an in-room refrigerator is standard for hotel rooms exceeding $400/night in the United States.

I understand the refrigerators need to be removed for safety reasons, no option there really. But I'm troubled that Disney didn't feel the need to notify me. We arrive in 10 days. It's a minor adjustment for us since we're driving and don't have a medical issue, but an email from Disney would seem appropriate. I've received maps, reservation documents, luggage tags, plenty of ads and bounceback offers, and my Disney MasterCard bill in the mail and almost daily emails from the Disney Store. I little communication would have gone a long way here.

The reality is that if this is the biggest issue I have to deal with on my vacation, it's going to be a great trip. But it wasn't handled very well by Disney from a PR perspective.

And this too! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter