Temporarily Locked: Standy Line Open. Boarding Group: Rise of the Resistance *No Spoilers* Thread, Read 1st Post before commenting.

Maybe something has changed, cause my evidence is fairly compelling. Wi-Fi on, no virtual queues found (several times), Wi-Fi off, virtual groups found but all full, Wi-Fi back on, no virtual queues found (several times).

Maybe it’s an on site off site thing.

Through all my test runs and real queues while here, this is the ONLY time I’ve seen the no virtual queues available, and it is also the only time I was on Wi-Fi.

Sounds possibly like a new glitch. Because no other reports of this.

Sounds possibly like a new glitch. Because no other reports of this.

Perhaps. However I got more information. At the 1pm queue lottery, my wife was able to get us a boarding group (cellular data). When we got back to the house on our afternoon break, I was trying to check the BG status and got a “looks like you have not joined any virtual queues” page with a “Something went wrong at the bottom”. Turned Wi-Fi off and was able to see the status. Went back and forth several times (5-7). Every time on Wi-Fi got the error, every time on cellular I was able to see the status.
Would seems like more than a temporarily glitch, and definitely something to monitor.

On Saturday July 24th, we had three people in our Pop Century room getting boarding groups at 7am. Two used Verizon data, one used Pop Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi user got our boarding group.

Perhaps. However I got more information. At the 1pm queue lottery, my wife was able to get us a boarding group (cellular data). When we got back to the house on our afternoon break, I was trying to check the BG status and got a “looks like you have not joined any virtual queues” page with a “Something went wrong at the bottom”. Turned Wi-Fi off and was able to see the status. Went back and forth several times (5-7). Every time on Wi-Fi got the error, every time on cellular I was able to see the status.
Would seems like more than a temporarily glitch, and definitely something to monitor.

That’s really odd. If you get a chance you should call Disney IT. I don’t have the number handy as I’m on vacation, but I’m sure someone will chime in.

On Saturday July 24th, we had three people in our Pop Century room getting boarding groups at 7am. Two used Verizon data, one used Pop Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi user got our boarding group.
Back to maybe an on-site vs off-site issue.

I wonder if it's possibly a WiFi configuration issue, since you're at a house as opposed to a hotel/resort. For example, using a VPN can cause problems with some websites and apps.

Adding - found the reference I was thinking of:
That was it!! Someone else reported the same problem a few months ago and I couldn’t remember the solution.
Turning off their VPN fixed the problem so hopefully it does fir you too.

I wonder if it's possibly a WiFi configuration issue, since you're at a house as opposed to a hotel/resort. For example, using a VPN can cause problems with some websites and apps.

Adding - found the reference I was thinking of:
Interesting. Being at a rental house, I’ve got not control over a VPN, nor if one is even in use. In general, VPNs are designed to hide your location by encapsulating the packets inside a forwarded message. This actually happens dozens of times for every message that gets sent from A to B. It is possible that one of the two ends is using an encapsulating protocol that is incompatible with the other, but they would mean that one is way behind the technology curve. Still I can’t argue with the observation.
In the end we were able to ride it with the afternoon BG, so all is good. My recommendation to anyone staying offsite is to actually test this prior to attempting to get a BG. For me, when I went to check the virtual queue status that is when I got the error. It likely that would work for anyone.

Interesting. Being at a rental house, I’ve got not control over a VPN, nor if one is even in use. In general, VPNs are designed to hide your location by encapsulating the packets inside a forwarded message. This actually happens dozens of times for every message that gets sent from A to B. It is possible that one of the two ends is using an encapsulating protocol that is incompatible with the other, but they would mean that one is way behind the technology curve. Still I can’t argue with the observation.
In the end we were able to ride it with the afternoon BG, so all is good. My recommendation to anyone staying offsite is to actually test this prior to attempting to get a BG. For me, when I went to check the virtual queue status that is when I got the error. It likely that would work for anyone.
Just wondering, could the Wi-Fi in that house be blocking access to certain websites? The Wi-Fi at the place we get our car's oil changed has multiple blocked sites, so we have to use data there.

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else. When you get a boarding group, do you get any idea of what time it happens? Do they give you a group and a tentative time? I’m wondering If we are at lunch or at our resort (staying Boardwalk Inn), how much lead time do you get?

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else. When you get a boarding group, do you get any idea of what time it happens? Do they give you a group and a tentative time? I’m wondering If we are at lunch or at our resort (staying Boardwalk Inn), how much lead time do you get?
Yes, you can see your estimated return time in the app. Once your BG is called you get 1 hour to return.

Yes, you can see your estimated return time in the app. Once your BG is called you get 1 hour to return.
Yes, once you have a boarding group, just click check status in the app Below the ATAT picture or by clicking Virtual Queues in the menu.

So this morning, the last stay of our trip, we were actually staying off site. When I tried to get a boarding group at 7am, I got a “there are no virtual queues available” message. Went back and forth a couple of times and got the same thing. I was on the Wi-Fi at the house we were staying at (very good signal). I decided to turn off Wi-Fi and got to the no more boarding groups available. Turned the Wi-Fi back on and again got the “there are no virtual queues available”. I had always heard to not be on Wi-Fi, but I thought that was because the Disney Wi-Fi is horrible and 1000s of people would be on it, but apparently if you are on Wi-Fi at all (unless maybe if you are actually in the park) it doesn’t work. This may be known, but it was not clear to me from the posts I’ve read.
Are you at Windsor Hills? We are here now, and we get the same thing on wifi - the virtual queue page either won't load at all, or it says there are no virtual queues available. This happens no matter what time of day, despite the wifi being very fast, and working for everything else (including other parts of the MDE app, like wait times and photopass). Someone else said earlier it's almost like the wifi is blocking that part of MDE.

The good news is that we actually got BGs - 48 and 6 - despite being on extremely slow data (4mbps the first day and 1 mbps the second day). But this wifi issue is definitely something people should be aware of.

What is the current recommendation - wifi or data? My practice runs from home have all been successfull.....we get the "no park reservation" message.

We will be staying at the Yacht Club, and our cell service is with Verizon.

Thanks!

What is the current recommendation - wifi or data? My practice runs from home have all been successfull.....we get the "no park reservation" message.

We will be staying at the Yacht Club, and our cell service is with Verizon.

Thanks!
The best recommendation is using the SpeedTest app - actual name - and testing your connection speed for both WiFi and data about 10 minutes before and going with whichever is faster.

some have better luck with data, others do better with wifi

I believe it's luck of the draw.
I got BG #28 this morning. I used my data (not particularly fast) from my room at the Swan.
There was about a second and a half of lag after hitting the second join button, but it came out ok.
Worried for weeks, but my family got to experience it.

From this thread (and my practicing), it still seems like boarding group join method is the "touring plan" to data/wifi speed's "best park". Both are important, but join method is more important than speed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter