Temporarily Locked: Standy Line Open. Boarding Group: Rise of the Resistance *No Spoilers* Thread, Read 1st Post before commenting.

We are headed to WDW next weekend and I've been meaning to do some practice runs, and my chances are running out. Mostly I just want to get familiar with the screens I'm going to see. Well today at 12:00 CT (1:00 ET) I was finally setup to do my first practice. I open up the app about 5 minutes ahead, and start scrolling down to find the AT-AT, and it's not there. I wait for a bit to see if maybe it just hadn't loaded yet (aside here, something of this level of importance should be a hard-coded feature into the app, like the top splash banner, but I digress). After about a minute of nothing additional popping up I close and re-open the app. Again nothing, same stuff as before. I try it again and again the same thing. Hmm. At this point I actually start wondering if the AT-AT thing doesn't even pop up until a specific time, so I decide to wait. 12:00 comes and goes and still no AT-AT. At this point I've obviously missed my test, so I close and re-open the app and guess what the the AT-AT was there now where it wasn't before nestled between two of the post/ads (what ever you call them) that were immediately popping up when I previously opened the app.

Am I doing something wrong?

If so what can I do to fix it?

Ok just tried practicing for the 1:00 and this is what I was afraid of…
I clicked the first two joins and then reached the screen where it wants me to “create my party”. I then selected myself and clicked the third join button and got the screen where it asks if “everyone is here?”

this is where everyone says that means I would have been successful, but I’ve always wondered how anyone knows that. So out of curiosity I did the back button to where I have just myself selected again- waited a few minutes- and clicked join again. I got the same screen asking “is everyone here?” I then immediately backed out and clicked the first join button and it said they were accepting no more reservations today.
I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t think the screen that asks if everyone is here means I would have gotten a boarding group, because I got that screen even after they were already full. Wondering why anyone does think it means that? I hope I’m wrong but this seems to point towards that just being an automated message for people who don’t actually have a reservation for the park that day…

I have successfully gotten BGs x4 (BG 43, 45, 14 and 4) in the past while at Disney and nearly every time I practice (which is quite often) as well. Today, however, I too received the odd screen you are describing.

Join, join (party selection), and the third screen rather than receiving the "Is everyone in the park" or "Remove Guest", I was being prompted to select my party and couldn't continue until I clicked myself--which I did and join--then got "remove guest" message.

Typically on screen 2, my name is automatically checked and then on to screen 3 and you get the remove guest or is everyone in the park message.

This is a different scenario (it being necessary to actually check a party or name to continue) than I have ever had as well. :confused3

We are headed to WDW next weekend and I've been meaning to do some practice runs, and my chances are running out. Mostly I just want to get familiar with the screens I'm going to see. Well today at 12:00 CT (1:00 ET) I was finally setup to do my first practice. I open up the app about 5 minutes ahead, and start scrolling down to find the AT-AT, and it's not there. I wait for a bit to see if maybe it just hadn't loaded yet (aside here, something of this level of importance should be a hard-coded feature into the app, like the top splash banner, but I digress). After about a minute of nothing additional popping up I close and re-open the app. Again nothing, same stuff as before. I try it again and again the same thing. Hmm. At this point I actually start wondering if the AT-AT thing doesn't even pop up until a specific time, so I decide to wait. 12:00 comes and goes and still no AT-AT. At this point I've obviously missed my test, so I close and re-open the app and guess what the the AT-AT was there now where it wasn't before nestled between two of the post/ads (what ever you call them) that were immediately popping up when I previously opened the app.

There is another path that avoids any issues with the AT-AT on the home page.

In the MDE app, access your profile (the three-bar icon), then choose Virtual Queues. Start from there instead of the AT-AT Join button.

I have successfully gotten BGs x4 (BG 43, 45, 14 and 4) in the past while at Disney and nearly every time I practice (which is quite often) as well. Today, however, I too received the odd screen you are describing.

Join, join (party selection), and the third screen rather than receiving the "Is everyone in the park" or "Remove Guest", I was being prompted to select my party and couldn't continue until I clicked myself--which I did and join--then got "remove guest" message.

Typically on screen 2, my name is automatically checked and then on to screen 3 and you get the remove guest or is everyone in the park message.

This is a different scenario (it being necessary to actually check a party or name to continue) than I have ever had as well.

This changed last week after an MDE app update, and was discussed earlier in the thread. For practice runs on the app, no one is selected at all, and so to practice you need to check Select All before proceeding.

People at WDW doing it for real, with park reservations, are reporting that everyone in their party are selected automatically.

This is a different scenario (it being necessary to actually check a party or name to continue) than I have ever had as well. :confused3
I think the process you’re describing actually was changed last week. My bigger concern is how I purposely waited until after I knew the boarding groups were all taken before selecting “join” again, but yet I still got the same screen asking if everyone was in the park. It obviously didn’t mean I would have been successful, though, because the groups were all full by that time

There is another path that avoids any issues with the AT-AT on the home page.

In the MDE app, access your profile (the three-bar icon), then choose Virtual Queues. Start from there instead of the AT-AT Join button.
Thank you. That may be my preferred method, or at least I have an alternative if I have issues with the AT-AT.

Ok just tried practicing for the 1:00 and this is what I was afraid of…
I clicked the first two joins and then reached the screen where it wants me to “create my party”. I then selected myself and clicked the third join button and got the screen where it asks if “everyone is here?”

this is where everyone says that means I would have been successful, but I’ve always wondered how anyone knows that. So out of curiosity I did the back button to where I have just myself selected again- waited a few minutes- and clicked join again. I got the same screen asking “is everyone here?” I then immediately backed out and clicked the first join button and it said they were accepting no more reservations today.
I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t think the screen that asks if everyone is here means I would have gotten a boarding group, because I got that screen even after they were already full. Wondering why anyone does think it means that? I hope I’m wrong but this seems to point towards that just being an automated message for people who don’t actually have a reservation for the park that day…

I think the process you’re describing actually was changed last week. My bigger concern is how I purposely waited until after I knew the boarding groups were all taken before selecting “join” again, but yet I still got the same screen asking if everyone was in the park. It obviously didn’t mean I would have been successful, though, because the groups were all full by that time
When you do this and only go back one screen, the system has not refreshed behind the scenes and it will appear you will have been successful a second time but this is often not the case. The only way to truly try more than one time to see if you can get a BG is to go all the way back to the AT AT screen and try a second time. I tried this at 1PM after having a successful first try and all BGs were full in less than 10 seconds today.

If you were not successful getting a BG a red warning message that all BGs are full would have been displayed.

The information about how it's deemed to be a 'successful practice' is based on thousands of attempts people have made since the ride opened, practicing getting BGs.

I have an alarm set on my phone that goes off every day at 12:59 to remind me to practice getting a BG. I finally set the alarm after days of forgetting and I've found it to be helpful.

This change was made July 8, 2021. Post 1 was updated to reflect this change.

We were there in April, got a BG at 1pm our first day at AK. Group was a high number, but we got on right before park closing…we were second to last family that night. Three days later, we lucked out and got a BG number at 7am that morning. I think we got in line about 10:30am that day...we were ecstatic!

This changed last week after an MDE app update, and was discussed earlier in the thread. For practice runs on the app, no one is selected at all, and so to practice you need to check Select All before proceeding.

People at WDW doing it for real, with park reservations, are reporting that everyone in their party are selected automatically.

I think the process you’re describing actually was changed last week.

This change was made July 8, 2021. Post 1 was updated to reflect this change.

See. . .there you go. . .that's what happens when you take a week away from civilization and the DIS Boards and then scan through the 30 or so pages generated in your absence. Totally missed it, BUT I did get the app update. Thanks! :rotfl2:

Now, doesn't that slow the whole practice process? I mean, I actually did get through to the "remove parties" screen, but still--another hoop in the practice.

Not sure why I continue to practice because I'm not sure I am even going to try for a BG in October. We have done it x4 with 4 attempts and, while cool, not sure I need to do it every trip given the crowds at that park and waiting around for the group to be called if we would rather leave the madness. Time will tell, but I may stay prepared just in case.

Thanks again! :thumbsup2

See. . .there you go. . .that's what happens when you take a week away from civilization and the DIS Boards and then scan through the 30 or so pages generated in your absence. Totally missed it, BUT I did get the app update. Thanks! :rotfl2:

Now, doesn't that slow the whole practice process? I mean, I actually did get through to the "remove parties" screen, but still--another hoop in the practice.
Not sure why I continue to practice because I'm not sure I am even going to try for a BG in October. We have done it x4 with 4 attempts and, while cool, not sure I need to do it every trip given the crowds at that park and waiting around for the group to be called if we would rather leave the madness. Time will tell, but I may stay prepared just in case.

Thanks again! :thumbsup2
When practicing, just click 1 person or select all, no point in getting your party exactly right since it should be preselected on the days of your reservations.

eta: I misread what you said about removing parties, but yes, it does slow things down a bit for practicing, but that may have been intentional to give those actually trying a better chance to not be slowed down by those not there.

When practicing, just click 1 person or select all, no point in getting your party exactly right since it should be preselected on the days of your reservations.

eta: I misread what you said about removing parties, but yes, it does slow things down a bit for practicing, but that may have been intentional to give those actually trying a better chance to not be slowed down by those not there.
I wonder if part of the reason BGs go so fast is that hundreds or more people are practicing making the practice a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

Perhaps Disney saw that BGs are being filled up so quickly by people on the App outside the park and took the corrective measure to make it more difficult to practice.

I'm going to be honest, I am not sure I buy that you are able to really determine during a practice run that you would or would not have gotten a boarding group. When I was doing it at home, I got the same prompts and messages as people who have done a "successful" practice run. But, in real life when we actually have a park reservation, I was not told whether I got a boarding group or not until after the 3rd "join" button. You can't get to that button on a practice run. I am sure that you get the red error if boarding groups are very gone (like more than a few seconds), but that decision point when you hit the 3rd join button of either a group number or a red message is really the clutch point. Not that practicing and getting a feel for the prompts is a bad idea. I just hate for people to get a false sense of confidence from the practice rounds.

I'm going to be honest, I am not sure I buy that you are able to really determine during a practice run that you would or would not have gotten a boarding group. When I was doing it at home, I got the same prompts and messages as people who have done a "successful" practice run. But, in real life when we actually have a park reservation, I was not told whether I got a boarding group or not until after the 3rd "join" button. You can't get to that button on a practice run. I am sure that you get the red error if boarding groups are very gone (like more than a few seconds), but that decision point when you hit the 3rd join button of either a group number or a red message is really the clutch point. Not that practicing and getting a feel for the prompts is a bad idea. I just hate for people to get a false sense of confidence from the practice rounds.
I completely agree with this- there’s absolutely no way to know if getting that screen means you would have been successful. The only thing we know is that by practicing a couple times we get more familiar with the process so once we’re actually there it won’t be so new to us.

I wonder if part of the reason BGs go so fast is that hundreds or more people are practicing making the practice a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

Perhaps Disney saw that BGs are being filled up so quickly by people on the App outside the park and took the corrective measure to make it more difficult to practice.
Those practicing who don’t actually have park reservations make no difference to the boarding groups being filled because when practicing you don’t actually get a boarding group :)

Well that was stupid! Got up early, followed all the instructions using world clock timing and still missed queue for Resistance! I stupidly assumed it would have all 3 of us on current trip automatically selected. Instead as I panicked and hit “select all,” everyone who had EVER been with me on Disney trip were selected.By the time I tried to deselect and select the right 3, they were gone of course. Sorry but I’m not quick on these apps, so while I suppose I could try again for 1, I don’t see any way I’ll be quick enough to find all 3 names in my group and lock in. It’s just not gonna happen. Should have opted for more sleep. Oh well, guess I can be up now for the long stand by lines since there is no FP any more. Yes, I’m bitter and cranky—sorry!

Whoa- I hope they aren't going to make us start selecting! I'm traveling with a group of 13 next month, and there is no way I can select everyone that fast... I was hoping that all- or even most- of us would be pre-selected, since we will all have tickets and park reservations... I am sorry you didn't get one this am, and that the no- selection was a glitch! Hope you got one at 1!

Whoa- I hope they aren't going to make us start selecting! I'm traveling with a group of 13 next month, and there is no way I can select everyone that fast... I was hoping that all- or even most- of us would be pre-selected, since we will all have tickets and park reservations... I am sorry you didn't get one this am, and that the no- selection was a glitch! Hope you got one at 1!
If it helps, this morning's instance of nobody being pre-selected on the day of a park reservation is the first reported case of this happening.

there are instances when 1 or 2 people are missing and those are easily added in the park by the Guest Experiences Team but I would not be worried about needing to select each member of your party.

There are multiple Youtube videos that are very good on how to get a BG.
I really liked the Disney Food Blog that goes through the steps.

I'm not in Disney, but I helped friends who are in Disney, book their boarding group this morning. I can confirm that we had to select individual names. In their case, it was just 'select all' and they got boarding group 5. I thought I read that this was only the case for practicing, but it was also the case on your actual Hollywood Studios day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter