Tell Us Your Priceline/Howire Deal

I just got burned on Priceline. Bid $45 in the Sea World/I-Drive area and ended up with the dreaded Radisson Barcelo Hotel. Reviews say it is a dirty, disgusting hotel. I will end up "eating" my 3 night stay there because I refuse to subject my kids to cockroaches and crime. Now I'm trying to find somewhere else near Sea World with better reviews.......but, I guess I won't be able to use Priceline.

I have never had a bad experience on Priceline. I am really disappointed with this one:(

What hotel did you get? Gaylord Palms Resort
What did you pay? $91 + tax, etc.
What did amenities did you request? Resort WDW Area
When did you go? We will be there 5/5 - 5/6/06
How far in advance did you bid? <2 weeks (I placed the bid today!)
Were you happy with the results? Absolutely - we have stayed there before without Priceline and paid much more $$ :banana: :banana:

I

I got burned once. Thankfully it was such a horrible deal that I finally got my money back from Priceline.

I haven't used priceline for a while now.

Dawn

ciship said:
I just got burned on Priceline. Bid $45 in the Sea World/I-Drive area and ended up with the dreaded Radisson Barcelo Hotel. Reviews say it is a dirty, disgusting hotel. I will end up "eating" my 3 night stay there because I refuse to subject my kids to cockroaches and crime. Now I'm trying to find somewhere else near Sea World with better reviews.......but, I guess I won't be able to use Priceline.

I have never had a bad experience on Priceline. I am really disappointed with this one:(

ciship said:

I have a friend who I helped do Hotwire for a night in Orlando and she ended up at this hotel that was considered a 3 star. While she was on her trip an email came from Hotwire downgrading the hotel to 2 1/2 stars. Priceline needs to hear the complaints so they can fix this, too.
She actually said the hotel wasn't totally awful.

jtopicz1 said:
Some notable deals I've got recently (go to Univ/WDW a lot as a FL resident):

Sheraton Safari - 3* WDW Zone - Numerous times in '05 / '06 - $38-$48 (rack rate is generally $119 - 199)

Crowne Plaza Universal - 3* Universal - 2/26-26/06 - $48 - Rack rate was right at $220 - Everything in Orlando was SOLD OUT that weekend - bid two days before. Upgraded to a Jr. Suite at check-in!!

Not in Orlando

Grand Hyatt Atlanta / Buckhead - 4* Buckhead / Atlanta, GA - 12/30/04 - 1/2/05 - $55 - Best internet rate was $329! Got a room on a upper floor with great view.

Hyatt Regency Chicago - 4* NMA - 7/1/05-7/4/05 - $59 - Fourth of July Stay

I've often thought of starting a biddingfortravel style forum just for the Orlando area, and not just doing priceline/hotwire, but other deals as well (and perhaps Orlando News, etc.) Sort of a BFT, TravelZoo.com, Trip Advisor all in one place.

Don't know if it's worthwile or useful enough however.

jim

I don't know if it's the same hotel, but I got a Crowne Plaza in the Universal area for about $56 off Hotwire. On their site it was considered 3 1/2 stars. It was a wonderful hotel, and I've tried to get the deal again, but have not seen it offered again.
I have travelled all over the place using both Hotwire and Priceline for hotels, and the hardest city, by far, imo, to predict things is Orlando. A three-star in Orlando is not necessarily comparable to a three-star in another city. The rooms in Orlando get much more use and abuse. It's not just a bidding-for-travel issue for Orlando, imo, but the hotels there in general. I booked a three-star one time, straight up, no bidding site and it was AWFUL.
My latest steal is far away from Orlando, but a four-star in downtown Toronto for $67 a night. It turned out to be a Westin, with prices on their website starting at $235 a night. I haven't paid full price for a hotel in years. And only been mildly disappointed a couple times. Most of the time I'm happy with the quality and bargains.

tweetylori said:
I have a friend who I helped do Hotwire for a night in Orlando and she ended up at this hotel that was considered a 3 star. While she was on her trip an email came from Hotwire downgrading the hotel to 2 1/2 stars. Priceline needs to hear the complaints so they can fix this, too.
She actually said the hotel wasn't totally awful.

tweetylori,

Did your friend get assigned the old motor inn part of the hotel, or did she get the new north tower part of the hotel? If she was assigned a room in the older part of the hotel, did they offer to let her pay for an upgrade to the new part?

DawnM said:
I got burned once. Thankfully it was such a horrible deal that I finally got my money back from Priceline.

I haven't used priceline for a while now.

Dawn

I have been battling it out with Priceline all week now. Customer Service finally turned me over to someone else in management. I havent given up, but I doubt they will give me my money back.

ciship said:
tweetylori,

Did your friend get assigned the old motor inn part of the hotel, or did she get the new north tower part of the hotel? If she was assigned a room in the older part of the hotel, did they offer to let her pay for an upgrade to the new part?

She got the older part, and didn't upgrade. She said the room was large and not that bad. The only problem they had was with the water. She said they couldn't get it off scalding. They only spent one night, so it wasn't a huge deal to them, but they wouldn't stay there again.

tweetylori said:
She got the older part, and didn't upgrade. She said the room was large and not that bad. The only problem they had was with the water. She said they couldn't get it off scalding. They only spent one night, so it wasn't a huge deal to them, but they wouldn't stay there again.

tweetylori...........did they even "offer" to allow her to upgrade? I am trying to find out if they "allow" upgrading when a customer has purchased their room through Priceline/Hotwire. I read somewhere that they won't allow you to.

I've gotten some wonderful rates in Miami before!! For this upcoming Orlando trip however, my flights using miles worked out best if I came in on the last flight on Thursday night, but I didn't want to spend another $300 at the Beach Club for a 4 hour period of sleep. Plus my first day will be spent at Universal Studios.

So....

What hotel did you get? Radisson Barcleo
What did you pay? $44.00 through Priceline
What did amenities did you request? I bid for a 2.5* Universal/Sea World area
When do you go? 9/28/06 (one night only)
How far in advance did you bid? hehe, I think we are lookin at 6 months here
Were you happy with the results? It's a Radisson, it's less than $50, and it's for a short amount of sleep. The answer is definitely.

Edited because I couldn't spell the word Radisson.

christygobar said:
I've gotten some wonderful rates in Miami before!! For this upcoming Orlando trip however, my flights using miles worked out best if I came in on the last flight on Thursday night, but I didn't want to spend another $300 at the Beach Club for a 4 hour period of sleep. Plus my first day will be spent at Universal Studios.

So....

What hotel did you get? Radisson Barcleo
What did you pay? $44.00 through Priceline
What did amenities did you request? I bid for a 2.5* Universal/Sea World area
When do you go? 9/28/06 (one night only)
How far in advance did you bid? hehe, I think we are lookin at 6 months here
Were you happy with the results? It's a Radisson, it's less than $50, and it's for a short amount of sleep. The answer is definitely.

Edited because I couldn't spell the word Radisson.

Hmmm, at one night at the Radisson Barcelo, I might subject my family to it....but, we will have 3 nights there. The reviews are FAR to grim and disgusting. I don't like living with bugs either.......oh.....and this hotel may have the Radisson name.......but, they are NOT Radisson quality. Good luck, I hope your experience in Sept. will be a good one.

What hotel did you get? Hyatt Regency MCO

What did you pay? $77 per night

What did amenities did you request? 2 rooms but will call and request Doubles

When did you go? will go May 21st

How far in advance did you bid? 2 weeks (have been watching and noticed that at about 2 weeks prior to trip is when price drops for this hotel on Hotwire)

Were you happy with the results? VERY! Wanted this hotel for an early flight and knew that on Priceline we would be taking a chance. Verified Hotwire hotel icons on betterbidding and won!!

What hotel did you get? Gaylord Plams
What did you pay? $93.00 (plus tax & resort fees) through Priceline
What did amenities did you request? I bid for a resort*, Disney Resort Area
When did you go? We will be there 6/29-7/2
How far in advance did you bid? 6 weeks
Were you happy with the results? extremely happy considering the rack rates

I'm just subscribing- I've never done priceline or hotwire but I am interested for when we (gasp!shock!horror!) actually take a few non- WDW vacations.

Just did my first priceline bid 2 days ago. I needed a hotel by MCO for the last night. I put in 2.5 stars and got Amerisuites for $39/$51 after taxes and fees. It sound like a good deal. Much better than the $145 or $154 they told me it was when I called to request non smoking. :)

I bid last week for a WDW resort for Aug. 23-27 (before our Disney Wonder cruise leaving 8/27), and got the Hilton in Downtown Disney for $60 per night. I was very happy.

For those of you priceline experts out there I am thinking of using it to reserve two hotel rooms on my way to FL this August. We're driving from CT to FL and I was thinking 1 night in Virginia or North Carolina and then the next in Georgia. Can I get something 3* or above for about $50/night or is thta just a crazy dream? I want something safe, clean, and with indoor corridors. Oh and non smoking but since that is a medical one I am hoping that will be easy enough to have honored. Thanks!

Not Priceline but 3 other suggestions:

1) Do you have the entertainment book, they have discounted listings (up to 1/2 off rack) that I've used to great success on I-95 corrider & even @ BW maingate.

2) If you're feeling somewhat adventurous/traveling off season & will be stopping early; the welcome/rest stops in VA & NC have tourism desks to help find available rooms. They also have the booklets w/special pricing.

3) If you belong to AAA, grab the appropriate guidebooks - detailed descriptions & lots of specials.

BTW, Lumberton, NC is not the place to stop - very run-down around the exits. We actually liked staying @ South of the Border (clean, cheap, spacious room w/lots of patrolling security). Good luck.

ZPT1022 said:
For those of you priceline experts out there I am thinking of using it to reserve two hotel rooms on my way to FL this August. We're driving from CT to FL and I was thinking 1 night in Virginia or North Carolina and then the next in Georgia. Can I get something 3* or above for about $50/night or is thta just a crazy dream? I want something safe, clean, and with indoor corridors. Oh and non smoking but since that is a medical one I am hoping that will be easy enough to have honored. Thanks!

Thanks Keisha :hug:

We do have the Entertainment book but for some reason I never think about it. Do those rates have to be booked in advance or can we decide on the road and call them and secure one of their rates?

We do have AAA but the card is in DH's name. Maybe if I grab his Mastercard I will just be Ryan. :rotfl2: Or do you have to show picture ID to check into a hotel?

I'm reasonably adventurous but not sure that August would be considered off season since all the kids are still off of school. I've never thought to use the rest stop tourism areas- usually we stop and potty and get back on the road ASAP

Thanks for the warning on Lumberton, NC. I will definitely avoid that. The kids and I are traveling alone so that is good advice and much appreciated. DH gets limited vacation time and I am a stay at home mom so the kids and I are heading down and visiting my grandparents who live 2 hours south of WDW on the gulf coast :cloud9: We're going to visit them and then DH will meet us in Orlando for the WDW portion of the trip. I've never traveled this far alone with the kids so safety is more on my mind than normal. Thanks again!

Becky

We have found that it doesn't work very well for us to reserve interim stops along the way, so we just get the discount books from the rest areas and look for something. Usually we get into the first one we try, though coming back from Florida the last time we had to try three or four before we found something and it wasn't great.

If we reserve in advance, either we get there way too early and aren't really ready to stop for the night or weather and/or traffic delays make us exhausted when we arrive.

Priceline reservations can not be refunded, so if you had auto trouble or something, you would be out the dough. I'd be more inclined to look for a refundable rate if I did reserve. You just never know what's going to delay you along the way.

Sheila

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter