• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me your wish list!

AshleyW

DIS Veteran
All right, it's time for a fun, light hearted thread... DF and I are going tonight to start one of our wedding registries, and we'd LOVE some suggestions! :goodvibes

We've got a checklist with all of the basic "normal" registry items, but what I want to know is.. if you were going to register again, what would you do differently?! Anything you wouldn't register for? Anything you forgot about? Any (fairly realistic ;)) luxury item you'd like to have ? Any do's or don'ts that just drive you crazy?!

Let's hear it! :woohoo:

I, on a whim, put a gorgeous Baccarat crystal ring holder on my wedding registry. I think it was in the neighborhood of $200, so pretty extravagant compared to my $60 per place setting china. A friend from work bought it for me!

10 years later I still use it everyday!

I would register for twice as many sheets and towels. I change them every other day and having more would make it easier.

I love my Dyson vacuum! That's a good luxury if you don't have one already.

Beyond that ... telescope?

I never registered...

but one thing I wish I owned.. but have never spent money on myself is a Kitchen Aid mixer.

I only recently bought myself a great Dyson Animal Vacuum and a good set of All Clad pots... don't skimp here.. ask for good ones!!

One thing I rec'd for my shower was a set of 4 tall really pretty Christmas mugs from Mikasa and a matching serving plate... I enjoy bringing these out each year and think of the friend who gave them to me...

I think I am in the minority among anyone who was married in the last...15-20 years...but I am SO glad I registered for formal place settings. I know a lot of people say they never use theirs so it was a waste...but we use ours.

I would say I regret registering for decorative stuff like picture frames, vases, etc.--but no one bought the ones we registered for, so it didn't matter! :)

I didn't register for bathroom accessories like tissue box cover, those pump bottles for soap/lotion, toothbrush holder, etc. We don't use those things so it would have been a waste.

I wish I had registered for more plain white, simple (less likely to look dated or not match things I aquire later) serving pieces...trays, bowls, etc. As a young engaged woman, I honestly did not envision it--but at this point in my life I end up attending a lot of potluck style social events, and it seems I could always use more serving pieces to bring with me. Same thing with inexpensive serving spoons. I am incharge of planning some of these events on a regular basis and it seems a lot of people bring their dish, but forget to bring a spool to serve it with! It woudl be great to have a bunch of extras to use.

Just got married 3 months ago! I can't really say I'd change the registry at all...we didn't need much, we didn't put too much on it, we didn't have very many guests in the first place. I suppose we could have used one more set of non-winter sheets (we registered for 1 set "regular," two sets jersey knit that are extremely warm and we got all 3).

What I do wish is that we registered at Home Depot instead. We did get some gift cards, which we REALLY appreciate, but I wish we'd registered for some actual stuff. Right now we could use a new bathroom sink and faucet... :goodvibes

We didn't register at all. But make sure you do register for anything and everything you may want. Most places will give you a % off certain items left on your registry after the wedding.

Do not hesitate to put higher price items on your registry. A lot of people like to go in together for gifts. My sister, my mother and I always go in together and we like to get 1 big thing instead of a bunch of small things.

I agree on sheets and towels, put twice as many as you think you will need.

Rather than everyday and formal dishes i picked a mix and match lenox open stock set that is micro to oven to freezer to dishwasher safe. The prettier pattern became formal, but all of the serving dishes, caseroles etc match both so i only needed one set. Less to store, and since it was mix and match i put down numbers of how many of each pattern, but guests could pick what they liked. We actually got every piece we registered for and then some as guests bought pieces not listed and macys had an open stock sale where free things were added. Im the only person i know who competed all their dishes and had extras for accidental breakage. Set will be 10 yrs old in nov snd still looks brand new.

2 things i got that werent on my registry which we use all the time...george forman grill snd a waffle maker.

Great question! I asked this same thing when I was registering. i wanted to know what I had not thought of!

I have to echo the serving platters. I do not have enough, or really even any! I just got married 7 months ago, and this is the thing I regret not registering for most.

I did somehow end up with twice as many towels as I registered for, which has turned out to be a blessing in disguise! Go for lots of towels!

My favorite items really did turn out to be off the registry, which I did not believe would be true until afterwards. My mom found the exact vintage Pyrex pink Cinderella gooseberry mixing bowls i had wanted. I was SO thrilled and surprised, and I got a few other little surprises like that as well! Don't be surprised if some people know you better than you know yourself!

I got a big set of the corningware French white that I had asked for but now realize that I rarely need them at home, I need them for potlucks and holidays elsewhere. A friend has a set with both the glass lids and plastic lids that latch on. Mine just have the glass ones and they don't travel well.

We were surprised to receive the camping gear we registered for and also the kitchenaid mixer and a vacuum. So dream big- you never know!

Thanks y'all! You've got some great ideas.. I would have never thought to ask for extra towels & sheets, and I apparently forgot all about serving dishes. :laughing:

I was also feeling a bit bad for registering for some larger priced items.. I'm big into cooking so we registered for some nice knives, plus a SpotBot and a sewing machine - but I'm thinking I'll leave those on there. We've got a lot of stuff in the $40 and under range, so I don't think it'll be an issue.

Keep the ideas coming!! :goodvibes

We used our wedding registry as a chance to "upgrade" as DH and I had already lived alone on our own prior to being married.

If you bake and don't have a Kitchen Aid mixer, put that on there.

If you like to make drop cookies and don't have a small cookie scoop (like an ice cream scoop), put that on there--love mine.

I hated using plastic tupperware stuff to store and re-heat food. We registered for a lot of glass storage stuff (Glasslock?) and threw out our old tupperware stuff.

I am going to second the cookie scoop. I just bought myself one last year and use it for meatballs, scooping muffin batter, cookies, candies, cakeballs...basically anything I can scoop...lol...

I did not registered for china and 20 years later, I still have no regrets! I have my paternal grandmother's china and DH's paternal grandmother's china. They are both in boxes in my closet.

I LOVE my kitchen aid mixer!

Cookie scoops rock! I have 2 different sizes, I just recently got them and I have no idea how I lived this long without them.

I love my kitchen aid too. I never registered, we eloped.

If I did I, I second the extra sheets and towels.

Get a nice gravy ladle, it's smaller than other ladles and works better than a spoon, it's also the perfect thing to pour pancakes or fill cupcake tins with. Mine is about 12 years old and has the best little spout on the side. I can't find one like it to show you. I use it for so many things.

A set of glass measuring cups. I have a 1 cup, 4 cup and 8 cup with a lid. They are pyrex. An 8x8 glass pan, a 13x9 glass pan and a loaf pan. Basics you can use for many different things will be most useful and keep kitchen clutter down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter