Tell me your stories taking High School grad girls to disney.

yeahdisney

DIS Veteran
DD and two friends would possibly like to go to disney right after graduating. And hey I am available to go, so we are kicking around.

Leave Monday before the crack of dawn. Flight arrives 9:30am. ME to check in, then immediately to typhoon lagoon. Stay at AKL whole time for dvc.
Tuesday Magic Kingdom all day.
Wednesday AKL and HS
Thursday Universal
Friday fly out.

Can not decide Thursday stay at universal for $200 more or not, to get FOTL.
If not, staying at universal Thursday night then, friday typhoon lagoon then fly out the last flight out. We will uber to universal and then to airport.

Girls wanted to go, I said if I went I would spring for hotel, breakfast and supper. Ground transportation. That leaves them flight, ticket in and lunch. I think I would be in all the same parks all them. I would be kinda solo but ride with one of them for universal roller coasters.

Last edited:
Took DD and her boyfriend (BF) at that time along with the rest of the family to an OKW GV for her graduation gift/party. Had 3 different families in the GV along with the BF. We got the 6 free park passes that were given away at that time to OKW owners.
As for your plans, if those are what you want to do, go for it. I would 2nd the FOTL at US/IoA.

Don't know if I see your plan, only see a stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge on Wednesday don't see any other room accommodations. If not staying on property than it does not matter much if you stay at Universal on Thursday night.

We did right after graduation with our DD's who graduated 5 years ago and had a blast. Stayed at BWV and spent lots of time at HS and Epcot, also enjoyed Downtown Disney more than before. Because we did only 4 days we were pretty intense but found time for everything we wanted to do, plus the girls did evening fireworks on their own and met us back at the room after.

Sent daughter and her friend as chaperones with son and 2 friends (female). Good kids and we didn't anticipate any trouble but they were testy the entire time. The girls were the difficult ones. It should be better with an parent all else being equal.

Three sets of parents gave each of their girls a trip to WDW for high school graduation. I provided the housing, at BWV, they paid for airfare, tickets and meals. No parents went....the girls had a wonderful time!!!
I like to stay one night at US/IoA...just to get that FOTL. I stay wherever I get the lowest rate. I have an AP at US/IoA, so that helps. It may be worth your while to stay there the last night....a room for one night would be cheaper than buying FOTL for everyone. Of course, you then have to figure in costs to get back to the airport.
If it were me, and I wanted to go with the kids (or other parents would feel better if there was an adult there, so I would go), I would ask the girls where they wanted to eat and then book a few meals together. Other than that, I would pretty much hang out by myself, and let them go off on their own. But, that's just me. I hate feeling like the fifth wheel with dd and her friends. Just did this for a trip to DL in May...dh and I took dd and her boyfriend as her college graduation gift. Dh was in the room a lot, working. So, it was me and the two kids. Sort of....actually, it was the two kids, hand in hand, and me, walking 5 paces behind them, or in front of them!

Both of our daughters have asked to go DVC for their graduation trips in '18 and '19. Still trying to figure out how they can check in without us. I told them worse case I would come down the first day and check them in or I would get a studio and do my own thing for the week. I told them their friends have to buy their own ticket, they must fly, I will probably get a gift card for some meals. Dh and I are in disagreement as to whether boys can go or not. At least we have time to decide.

...Still trying to figure out how they can check in without us. I told them worse case I would come down the first day and check them in or I would get a studio and do my own thing for the week...
At least one person in the each room must be 18 years old to have a reservation, to check-in, and be responsible for all the others in the room. DVC can cancel the reservation and order everyone out; if already checked in and DVC finds out that someone in the room is not 18 they can order everyone out, without compensation (return of points).

At least one person in the each room must be 18 years old to have a reservation, to check-in, and be responsible for all the others in the room. DVC can cancel the reservation and order everyone out; if already checked in and DVC finds out that someone in the room is not 18 they can order everyone out, without compensation (return of points).
Not to mention the liability of the host owner which is the bigger issue, IMO.

My dd was 18 when she graduated, so had no issues checking in. One if her friends wasn't 18 for another 2 months, the third was 6 months away.
Dd is also an associate member in our accounts.
They had no problems. Dd knew, going in, what our expectations were.

My dd was 18 when she graduated, so had no issues checking in. One if her friends wasn't 18 for another 2 months, the third was 6 months away.
As long as one is 18 it shouldn't be a technical issue. If I'm understanding the OP correctly (OP has edited out some of the details) none of the kids will be 18 at the time of the trip and the question was checking them in and leaving them without an adult in the villa but staying in the area. Likely possible but not within the intent of the rule as a minimum though probably safer for them and Disney than allowing 18 year olds to go unsupervised.

I once sent my DD on a stay at OKW when she was 18 along with friends who were 17 and 2 16 year olds without us. As long as one in the room is 18 and is listed on the reservation, there should be no issues.

OP here: I only edited where we were staying, one reply asked that. I will be with them the whole trip. I am just asking peeps, how did their trips go with just newly graduates. DD will be 18 the other could be? The girls all seem not too much drama here at home. I will prob be in the same parks with them just not entirely hanging with them. I think it will be great fun. We really are still deciding resort, we own BWV and beach club, we like AKL but what if poly was available at 7 month window, Oo la la.

OP here: I only edited where we were staying, one reply asked that. I will be with them the whole trip. I am just asking peeps, how did their trips go with just newly graduates. DD will be 18 the other could be? The girls all seem not too much drama here at home. I will prob be in the same parks with them just not entirely hanging with them. I think it will be great fun. We really are still deciding resort, we own BWV and beach club, we like AKL but what if poly was available at 7 month window, Oo la la.
Sorry if I recalled incorrectly but my recollection was the original post said something about checking them in then you staying somewhere else and that you and your husband were in disagreement over the trip. Given that I read it as you'd check them in then stay elsewhere, that suggested to me that they weren't 18.

OP here: I only edited where we were staying, one reply asked that. I will be with them the whole trip. I am just asking peeps, how did their trips go with just newly graduates. DD will be 18 the other could be? The girls all seem not too much drama here at home. I will prob be in the same parks with them just not entirely hanging with them. I think it will be great fun. We really are still deciding resort, we own BWV and beach club, we like AKL but what if poly was available at
I check in tomorrow with four teen girls for a graduation trip. We are staying at BWV for 12 nights. I have made a lot of solo plans as I think I would go insane being with them constantly, plus I would cramp their style. I will let you know how it goes. We are sitting in the airport right now, so far so good.

Back when our daughter graduated high school in 2010 we sent her to WDW and she brought along 4 of her friends. We were out of points so we booked them a value suite. They had a blast. Her friends took care of their own flights and tickets, my wife and I paid for our daughters flight and the room. We stayed home and enjoyed the silence. Our daughter made a DVD with music with highlights of the trip and gave her friends and us copies.

Get a two bedroom unit. You can have one bedroom and the girls can have the other. You may never even see each other, lol.

Here's an experience that was not at WDW but was rather a 16th birthday trip to NYC for my daughter and 2 of her friends. So in many respects it was similar to several days at WDW. The main thing I found was it was hard to get them moving in the morning, or, if I let them have a late start, to get them to stay out late. The teens seem to have less stamina for a full day than the adults or younger kids! To help compensate I did these things: Made them eat breakfast and drink juice in the morning. Made sure each of them was eating a decent amount of food at all meals. Took rest breaks through the day and reminded them that bus or subway rides should be treated as rest breaks. Asked them to wear hats and sunscreen frequently. Kept them hydrated. it was fun but sometimes almost as much a chore as when she was a toddler!

One of my very best trips (and there have been so many DVC trips I've lost count) was DS' college graduation trip...It was about 7 years ago now, in late (but pre-Memorial Day) May...I took 5 kids, ranging in age from 21-23 (and I concede those extra four years could make a HUGE difference)...it was two couples and a singleton...the 5 of them were (and are) best friends...I got a 1-BR at BCV and a single room at the Dolphin (availability issues)...All the kids stayed (sleeping in heaps, when they slept at all) at BCV...I used the Dolphin room...I let them do as they pleased, but what they pleased almost always included me, at least for "my" part of the day (I'm an early-morning person; they are late-night people)...

I got the dining plan so the kids would have flexibility w/snacks and meals when we weren't all together (that was pretty much only b'fast), and paid OOP for the "extra" meals...I also paid for their airfare and park tix (they were all "poor college kids" and this was DS' grad present)...I asked them ahead of time what they wanted to do; they were fine w/me picking dinner spots (and they enjoyed them all)--but none were "planners" and all I really got from them was that they'd like to do a water park one of our 6 days...I told them I was buying them park-hopper tix; if they wanted to do a water park, they had to buy their own tix for that...amazingly enough, no one wanted to do a water park once it wasn't "free"--Grin...w/out exception, each and all of them were unfailingly polite, considerate and well-behaved, yet they had themselves a whale of a good time!

Typically, we all as a group hit a park mid-morning...rode tons of rides, had a QS lunch, headed back to BCV by around 2-ish...kids swam (I did, too) and then we cleaned up (sort of) and headed to wherever we were having dinner...after dinner I crashed (big-time!) at the Dolphin and they closed down the late-night park they went to...often, the 5 kids went in different groups to different places after dinner or during the in-between daytime-parks-and-dinner time...

We all LOVED that trip (all 5 of the kids still say we should do it again!)...they "clubbed together" and arranged a "staged pic" on the dinosaur ride (they all made heart shapes w/their hands over their hearts at the point the camera went off), bought the pic, put it in a really lovely frame, and gave it to me as a thank-you gift...it's still one of my prized possessions and never fails to bring a fond tear when I look at it...

Disney is all about "making memories" and this one is one of my most precious...HAVE FUN!

Last edited:
We took our son and eight of his friends to WDW after HS graduation. We drove two cars and pulled a UHaul trailer for the luggage. We had a week in an OKW GV. The two of us did our own stuff and the nine kids did what they wanted to. The girls were pigs in the villa and I was too embarrassed for the housekeepers to see their mess on Trash & Towel day. I gathered the trash and took the towels. On check out day, they did get all the trash out before we left. There was some drama during the week, but overall it wasn't too bad. We bought graduation ears for everyone and paid for breakfast for everyone at Chef Mickey's. They wore their ears for the breakfast. They thought it was going to be lame, but they all loved it.

The kids all paid for their own park admission and spending money. I had some of the parents give me extra money for the expenses (like gas money). We used DVC points for the villa, paid for the trailer and two nights in hotels (one night each way). We provided food in the villa like for breakfast and sandwiches if they wanted them. They bought all their own food except for the Chef Mickey breakfast.

Last week the school board set graduation date. I traded points with another owner. AKL value was not available all five nights. So we went with standard view. But Disney said the main pool will be closed. I think we will still be good.

One girl is going for sure and DD said she will be happy if it is just the two of them, along with me going, one friend is not sure.

We have not committed to universal yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter