Tell me your Oregon Coast faves

Judy from Boise

Watch out – might take away your
I am going to switch our 20th anniversary trip this May from Kauai , to the oregon coast. (in the mood to save some $$$)
We will drive from Boise to Bend and spend the night, then I know stay a few nights in Depoe Bay to whale watch. We can stay a few nights somewhere else too.....maybe Seaside, maybe Newport, or maybe instead we should spend some time in the mountains.....? I don't want too much driving out of the way of to and from Boise. On lodging I would like to stay in the 200/night range.

TIA :)

My husband grew up doing annual 4th of july trips to Seaside. Since we've been together 10+ years, we join his dad, stepmom and family each summer. We absolutely enjoy this annual trek and its a fun, family oriented town. There's a beautiful, sandy coastline where you can rent a beach bike, fly a kite, or just play in the sand. My kids love renting the 4 seater bikes and riding around town. There's an aquarium, an arcade, a mini golf course and bumper cars. My inlaws have a time share with Worldmark/Trendwest and we stay at their timeshare. It's right between the promenade and the main drag, Broadway. It has a beautiful, heated pool facing the ocean.

I can't tell you much else about the Oregon coast as that's all we've ever stayed at. We do day trips to Tillamook cheese factory, but that's it.

I know there are proponents and detractors to Seaside...I happen to be one of those detractors. I find it to be a bit seedy and carnivalesque. Especially if you're talking anniversary versus a family trip with the kiddies. For romance I'd go with Cannon Beach, hands down, just a 20 minute drive up the coast from Seaside. I was just there with my family last weekend.

There are spendy places to stay, the tops for adults and romantic weekends is Stephanie Inn but out of my price range so never stayed there! Lots of affordable options too. The Bistro is a great restaurant, I've had a birthday and anniversary dinner there, you can't beat it. Lots of cute shops and a gorgeous beach with stunning Haystack Rock.

No offense to those Seaside lovers, just another opinion!

I know there are proponents and detractors to Seaside...I happen to be one of those detractors. I find it to be a bit seedy and carnivalesque. Especially if you're talking anniversary versus a family trip with the kiddies. For romance I'd go with Cannon Beach, hands down, just a 20 minute drive up the coast from Seaside. I was just there with my family last weekend.

There are spendy places to stay, the tops for adults and romantic weekends is Stephanie Inn but out of my price range so never stayed there! Lots of affordable options too. The Bistro is a great restaurant, I've had a birthday and anniversary dinner there, you can't beat it. Lots of cute shops and a gorgeous beach with stunning Haystack Rock.

No offense to those Seaside lovers, just another opinion!

I totally see where you are coming from. Dh and I don't go to seaside for romance, we go for the carnivalesque, beachy feel. I don't know if I'd describe it as seedy, though. I never feel uncomfortable walking around with the kids at night. I do agree, from what I hear from friends that Cannon Beach would be a lot more romanatic that Seaside though.

OMG! That sounds like something I'd do! Have a great time. We were there last year for our anniversary, and it was fabulous!

Well, I was coming to give you advice on the beautiful Oregon coast but it doesn't look like you need it anymore!! Maybe you can come some other time to check out the coast.

Have a great time at WDW, great price for flights, congratulations:goodvibes

I would LOVE for this thread to go on...My DH does a lot of busiess on the west coast and goes to Portland often. We've talked about doing either a family trip or a trip with just the two of us to Oregon and we have no idea of what to plan to maximize our Oregon experience. All I know is that I googled Cannon Beach off the info from this thread and I was AWE struck! It is SO beautiful! #1 on my list of things to do. Anything else?

I was in Portland, Seaside and Canon Beach just this past weekend. We stayed at a private condo in Gearhart that was right on the beach across the street from the new McMenamins Sand Trap (which was scheduled to open on Tuesday, we left Sunday morning:sad1: I love McMenamins!)

Seaside was nice although I thought most of the shops were cheesy touristy junk. The Promendade area of the beach was quite nice with lots of hotels and we enjoyed breakfast at the Pig in a Pancake restaurant. We picked up fresh whole crab at Bell Buoy in Seaside (Sooo good!) for dinner.

Canon Beach reminded me of Carmel, CA. It was very artsy with lots of galleries, cafe's and upscale shops. The overall atmosphere was up scale in comparison to SeaSide. I also thought the location was prettier.

When staying/passing through Cannon Beach be sure to take the drive up the hill north of town to Ecola State Park. Stunning views and a nice place to picnic.

Hey Judy, have you made any further progress on your trip plans? Curious to know what you are thinking now!

If you are looking for a polished, touristy kind of experience, then Cannon Beach or Seaside would be good choices. If you would like a little more rustic and authentic coastal vibe, then you could look at Rockaway Beach, Pacific City, or Lincoln City. Depot Bay is a very good choice, it is one of my favorite little towns. If you do venture as far north as Tillamook, make sure to stop in the Cheese Factory, and pay close attention to the guys making the cheese.....one of them is my husband! :cool2:

GET OUT!! I always (and I mean ALWAYS) have a 2 pound block of Tilly cheese in my fridge. What is his job title, Cheese Maker?!? Wow, that is cool.

But, we've lived in Oregon 14 years and I have never been on the tour!! My kids love cheese and ice cream, so it would probably be worth it sometime eh?

GET OUT!! I always (and I mean ALWAYS) have a 2 pound block of Tilly cheese in my fridge. What is his job title, Cheese Maker?!? Wow, that is cool.

But, we've lived in Oregon 14 years and I have never been on the tour!! My kids love cheese and ice cream, so it would probably be worth it sometime eh?
I remember going to the Tillamook Factory when I was a kid. We used to go to church camp at Wi-Ne-Ma which is in the vacinity somewhere between Tillamook and Lincoln City in Cloverdale. I too only buy Tillamook and I am in Nevada where it is somewhat of a delicacy:goodvibes

we only eat Tillamook cheese, ice cream, and butter in our house !
My parents are both oregonians.....so I was raised on it too !

Hey Judy, have you made any further progress on your trip plans? Curious to know what you are thinking now!

I deletd the post where I confessed that after finding $198 RT Delta airfare to Orlando, I booked 6 nights at the Swan, and bought annual passes for our presents to ourselves!

But, we really want this thread to go on.....so don't tell !:rotfl:

We enjoy Canon Beach and Seaside, but our favorite is further south - Bandon.

Love the Oregon Coast! I grew up in OR and my family made it to the coast at least every other month.

Staying in Depot Bay? Make sure you eat at the Sea Hag! Skip the Friday night buffet unless you like mostly deep-fried seafood.

Like Oysters? Stop in Bay City and you can buy them fresh, packed in the jar and ready to go.

Looking for a quiet, lovely retreat? Rent a small beach house in Manzanita.

Camping? Bar View Jetty County Park north of Tillamook is the BEST place to camp on the Oregon Coast. We spent 10 years taking our own kids camping at Bar View at least once a year before we moved up here. They've begged us enough to go back that we're making the trip this year.

The Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport is lovely. Lots of little shops around the Newport area; try Moe's on the waterfront for excellent seafood.

So-o many places to stop and spend a few moments soaking in the beautiful scenery - you really can't go wrong spending time on the Oregon Coast. :)

Ha Judy, I would do the same! :thumbsup2 The Oregon coast is beautiful and all, but...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter