• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me what you like and don't like about your home resort!

r3ngels

<font color=darkorchid>I am a bit odd! But in a cu
We are about to buy DVC but I am having last minute thoughts about what my home resort should be...

I am thinking BCV because of the location and SAB but I heard it can be crowded because of the character dining and SAB is crowded because of so many rooms in BC, YC and with the villas and that it is hard to get into for last minute reservations.

My next choice would be BWV again because of the location, I was told that because they have more pools it tends to be less crowded at the pool and they have more dining options. (my parents own there so I was thinking I wanted some place different but I love Boardwalk)

I am looking for any ideas, tips, help.... I don't want to regret my decision of my home resort. What do you guys like or dislike about DVC resorts. :flower3:

BCV always feels "busy" to me but not crazy-crowded. I love that pool! Early in the day it is not crowded at all. The lobby has the wonderful buffet restaurant (characters only at breakfast) and the Marketplace is a great snack/gift shop. I love how this resort looks, SMELLS (something unique in the landscaping I think) and the location is unbeatable. The design is gorgeous -- the colors and architecture are somehow old-fashioned, very much "1900s day at the shore" feel. The whole area is exciting -- so much to see and do with all the shops and restaurants of BC, YC, Boardwalk, and even Swan and Dolphin.

I do NOT like the rooms that are SO close to that nasty road out back. I have been assigned to these rooms more than once and they are yukky... but they are a minority. Can't think of anything else I dislike!

As long as you understand the reservation policies of DVC you should have no problem making reservations at your home resort 11 months out. If you are a last minute kind of planner, get the best deal you can get, cause home resort doesn't matter for last minute trips.

Buy at the resort you want to stay the most. All the resorts are busy at one time or another. There pluses and minuses to them all, but it really comes down to a personal choice.

Also, I noticed that you have stayed at Boardwalk three times in the past, none for Beach or Yacht Club. I think that answers your question right there.

I am thinking BCV because of the location and SAB but I heard it can be crowded because of the character dining and SAB is crowded because of so many rooms in BC, YC and with the villas and that it is hard to get into for last minute reservations.

QUOTE]

All the more reason to own there. :thumbsup2 If it was easy last minute there would be no reason to own there, so you are thinking correctly.

Did Rob finally agree? :)

We have BWV and we LOVE it. Yes the pool is fun at SAB but you can always try and stay there with the 7 month window.

We bought BWV sight unseen - we had never even seen the resort. I am so glad that we did - it is the perfect resort in my opinion (except for lack of good counter service).

~Amanda

What do you guys like or dislike about DVC resorts. :flower3:

Truthfully? That SSR mounts the handicapped door buttons about 6 inches too high. I've never seen that anywhere in the world. A button mounted for a walker when it is a seated person who uses it. :confused3

Other than that, nothing. Oh the room doors are on the heavy side, but I think that's an issue at many resorts/hotels across the world.

Since you are a fan of the Boardwalk area, I presume you wouldn't be happy staying anywhere else. Then it really just comes down to what hard-to-find feature your looking for that tips the balance between BWV & BCV. BCV has the guests-only pool and closer parking lot. BWV has the grand villas and lower point rooms. BWV is also larger so may have availability longer than BCV.

I do think you should spend some time at the other resorts before you buy. Often times people find their assumptions altered with experience.

I love the unit sizes and light bright rooms at OKW. I also LOVE the huge porch with the dining table and chairs on it and the ceiling fan. It's my favorite spot to be in all of Disney! I just love sitting out on that porch drinking my morning coffee or tea and watching the wildlife, or canal, or golfers (depending on which view we have). I also love that OKW has a real laundry room in each unit with full sized machines. It is also the only DVC resort at WDW that has full sized appliances in the kitchen. Love the peaceful suroundings and the fact that I can get away from the mahem of the parks with a quick easy bus ride to OKW. I find it much easier than walking to two parks.

My other "home" is AKV, but I haven't stayed there yet, so I'll let you know what I think of that after March.

Did Rob finally agree? :)

We have BWV and we LOVE it. Yes the pool is fun at SAB but you can always try and stay there with the 7 month window.

We bought BWV sight unseen - we had never even seen the resort. I am so glad that we did - it is the perfect resort in my opinion (except for lack of good counter service).

~Amanda

Can you believe it... after how many years and how many trips. I finally wore the man down :laughing:

I love hearing all of your thoughts...

I do love BWV (that is my parents home resort so that is why I have been there)

I have never stayed at BCV but I love the idea of the kids getting to play in SAB

I liked the rooms at OKW, like you said Diane, eating breakfast outside is wonderful.

I like the idea of 5 people at AKV but not crazy about the darkness of the lobby but love the incentives going on there too

UGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH the decisions. :teacher: I have wanted DVC for years but I love all the resorts for different reasons

I love hearing all of your thoughts...

I do love BWV (that is my parents home resort so that is why I have been there)

I have never stayed at BCV but I love the idea of the kids getting to play in SAB

I liked the rooms at OKW, like you said Diane, eating breakfast outside is wonderful.

I like the idea of 5 people at AKV but not crazy about the darkness of the lobby but love the incentives going on there too

UGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH the decisions. :teacher: I have wanted DVC for years but I love all the resorts for different reasons

Ok... It took me a moment to figure out who Rob is (I thought it was me).

Nonetheless, I'm going to suggest that since your parents do own at BWV then it might make sense to buy there. Nothing says you ever have to vacation together, but I'll bet there will be times when maybe you'll want to do a combined vacation (maybe Christmas) or some other peak time that requires 11 month booking. Grandparents on the trip can certainly make an Epcot F&W stroll with just the two of you easy and carefree time.

Otherwise, I agree with rinkwide... go for the years.

Good luck with your choice.

We are BWV and bought sight unseen in 1998, after systematically choosing OKW over BWV because on the map it looked more centrally located. Walt must have been watching over me and regardless of the fear of long hallways and getting a beer out of the fridge without leaving the balcony, I could only have BWV because the inventory at OKW was all gone.:mad:

The location, the atmosphere, the fun... BWV is truly my favorite place on earth. :goodvibes

But if your problem is how to choose between BCV and BWV, you know
location doesn't enter into it. Both are the best location in the World, because you can walk to two parks. Dining shouldn't enter into it either. In ten minutes you are at any restaurant at BWV, BCV or Swan or Dolphin. :confused3

If view counts, we win, at least in my experience. If pool counts, BCV wins... sandy beach beats vomiting clown. Either way, we all win, because you can't go wrong. But if your parents own at BWV, maybe you want some space and should go with BCV. That way you can take advantage of both resorts should you all go at the same time? And you have a few minutes to "clean your room" before they show up at your door! ;)

AKV is my home resort - I love the animals, the decor, the music, the relaxing atmosphere. :cool1: :cool1: :cloud9:

Con- The transportation only being by bus. :rolleyes1

We are BCV owners (but did stay at BWV last time).

Love the location and theme of BCV. Love the pool and food options (especially HH at the pool). Also love the small intimate feel of the villas and having the parking so close to the villas.

The down side... The views aren't the greatest. There are no GVs! I would really love to stay in one sometime. Also no community hall.

Deciding between BCV and BWV is difficult. I would pick one of these two if I was choosing again but don't know which I would choose. As Boardwalker said, the locations are so similar that location to the parks or major restaurants doesn't pay into it. Although the small convenience restaurants could effect you decision but should not be relied to be permanent for the next 35 years ...things change.

One thing you may want to consider, since your Parents own at BWV it might be nice to own there. You guys could put your points together to have a large family stay in one of those GVs!:lovestruc

we always feel blessed just to be able to stay @ WL & BW:confused3 ; a few bumps in the road...still, so much nicer than our previous experiences @ the values...it's all relative;)

will say only bad room/customer service issue we experienced was @ BC; think random things do happen...long as they are addressed:thumbsup2

We own at HH and love the resort. I don't particularly care for the point structure where Saturday night is almost twice as many points as Friday, but I just schedule my stays to start on Sunday, and its ok.

Our other home resort is BCV. The thing I don't like is I only bought 50 points--wish I had bought 80. We've only stayed here once, and don't have the love for it that we do for HH and OKW (my favorite resort).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter