• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me what you like about Weight Watchers....

welovedis

Disneyland here we come!
With the changes in my health recently I think that I will have to learn how to change my eating habits once I start feeling a bit better. My GI doc, hematologist and my allergist are recommending that I look into something like Weight Watchers if I want to learn how to eat a more healthy, balanced diet while losing weight (in the future).

I know that there are lots of people here on the WISH board that are going to WW and really seem to be having some good success with that program. Can you tell me what you really like about the program they offer, or what you don't like?

I checked out their website and there are about 10 different meeting places within 10 minutes of my home depending on the day and time so it certainly seems convenient.

I'd really appreciate your honest opinions of WW-thanks!

Personally, I like the fact that WW doesn't make any foods or types of food "off-limits". Of course they encourage healthy eating, but if I choose to spend a day's worth of points on fast food or other treats, it is my choice. I do much better when I can indulge myself once in a while. I feel as though I am setting myself up for failure when I eliminate foods that I like.
However, I am not very fond of the WW meetings. I know that they are helpful and research has shown that those who show up regularly for meetings stick with the program longer and are more successfull but I am not much of a "support group" kind of person. I don't mind listening, but I do not often like to contribute and I absolutely HATE it when they divide you into groups, etc. for little games, menu planning, etc. (Not all leaders "force" participation during the meetings, so if you don't like this stuff, you could try another leader.)
Overall, I think WW is a great plan to make you aware of your eating and portion sizes and can lead to much needed "diet reform". The point system is easy to use and there are tons of recipes and restaurant point listing on the internet.
Good luck!

Hi Karen! I have been following WW for four months now and what I like most about the program is the flexibility and the fact that there are no foods that are off limits. Because of WW I have learned to eat healthier, yet I still can have a cookie or ice cream if I want to. Because of WW I have learned to eat more fruit and vegetables and to really control my portion sizes. I just completed my 16th week today and I have lost a total of 24 pounds. Give a meeting a try, the program is easy to understand and easy to incorporate in your life. Good luck!

My feelings about WW are very much like Tiggerlover's. I have successfully lost weight in the past, but have always managed to gain it back. :eek:

With WW, I am actually conscious of the food nutrition labeling. I often even check it out when I'm doing my grocery shopping! YIKES! (I haven't gone so far as to bring my points calculator to the store, but I do check out the calories/fat/fiber per serving so that I can get a rough idea of the points...)

I am also looking forward to becoming a lifetime member. THEN, I will continue to weigh-in once a month, to help motivate me to keep the weight off this time!

Good luck.

I don't attend meetings, I am just using some old materials I have. I like the fact that I feel healthier when I follow the program. I have seen steady results, so I know it works. There is alot of diversity and I love the recipes!!!! I am now a vega-holic and WW includes plenty of veggie choices for my meals. I can eat cheese for lunch EVERY DAY and lose weight, so I am hooked! ;)

I think it is WONDERFUL!!! I am very happy I joined. I just finished week 7 and have lost a total of 16.5 lbs. I also am not a meeting person so I go for weigh-in and then leave. Friday is our weigh-in day (no meetings). I have a big support group in my life and on the internet here with WISH (I am a lurker but read the post daily). The WW support group is not sitting here with me during the day when I am at my desk - it is everybody from this WISH group. So far this method has been working for me.

Like has already been said you are learning portion control and not cutting things from your lifestyle. Please do not beat me up on this. I did Atkins for about 4 months and it worked great but I quickly got bored with the food and was back to eating whatever I wanted. With that said let me add this - each person has to find the lifestyle that is right for them. I eat alot of veggies now and I think twice before I put something in my mouth.

Good Luck. Hope your health is better soon.

I actually have just gone back to meetings after stalling on my own.

I will say the leader makes all the difference. There are about 20 meetings near me and I only go to the ones with a certain leader so..... Otherwise I just weigh and leave.

I have never been divided into groups though to play games or stuff.

If you are starting I strongly recommend the meetings to pick up hints.

The thing I liked is that it is a plan I can follow for life. I know people have been very successful on Atkins on this board, but I know myself and that would not last with me.

I've done WW in the past and am following it now (just not going to the meetings). I love it and have had success with it. I do encourage you to go to the meetings, though; it's harder, imo, to do it at home alone.

I love the fact that WW is so flexible. There is nothing you can't eat. Also, I like the meetings because you can learn some good tips and get some ideas on new foods, recipes, and snacks. Also, it really teaches you to read food labels. Even after I went off the program I still read labels and just couldn't make myself eat something if it was too fattening.

I don't like the cost ;-), but that's about it. It really is a good program.

Originally posted by WillAndFinn'sMom
I don't like the cost ;-), but that's about it. It really is a good program.

I'm not crazy about the cost, either, but I figure that over time, it will pay for itself in the JUNK I'm no longer eating, and in the health benefits I'm getting.

That's another reason I'm looking forward to becoming a Lifetime Member: as long as I weigh in every month and don't go more than two pounds over my goal weight, I don't have to pay any more! :Pinkbounc

I love WW. I actually need the structure of the weekly meetings. Ours are very short, usually not more than a half hour. I like the fact that that I started WW on April 10th and I am still sticking to it and have lost 23 pounds! I have never lasted on a diet this long before. I like that I can eat whatever foods I want and still lose weight. ( I had McDonalds for lunch today.) When I first started it was hard for me to get to the top of my points range...I have changed my whole way of eating and it isn't hard. I now realize tht I can have pizza, but just 1 slice..I don't need more ( I used to eat so much I would make myself feel so bloated and sick to my stomach) I am thrilled with WW!

Wow-thanks for all the good info everyone! I mentioned the WW idea to my friend & neighbor--she is also planning on starting with WW (again) after her baby is born in July. So I guess I'll have a great support system both online and IRL! Thanks again for the helpful info!

I like the flexibility of Weight Watchers. I lost 56 pounds on the ww plan last year and at that time I was doing no exercise. The great thing about it is that you can eat anything that you want as long as you point it. There have been occassions that I have used 16 or 18 points on my main meal and only have 2 points for the rest of the day but on a more positive note I save 4 points daily and that allows me to have a meal out with a friend once a week.

I think to succeed you really have to view it as a healthy eating plan and not a diet. With that in mind it has to be one that will become part of your life, therefore you will be able to maintain it through weight loss and then weight maintenace. I sound like a infomercial.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I really like WW's because it's something I can live with. There's no food I can't have as long as I count it or plan for it. It just works with my lifestyle. My WW's leader is a terrific funny lady and I learn a lot from the meetings. Our meetings are call express and are 30 minutes long. But if I'm busy, I'll just go weigh in and leave. WW's is definitely the best for me. DH is doing Atkins and that works for him. So I agree with Irishdoll7, we each have to pick the lifestyle that works for us. Good Luck with whatever you try. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter