• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me what I need to know about SW....

amandaw

DIS Veteran
For our upcoming trip, my family will be flying SW for the 1st time. Each person can have 2 checked bags without a fee, right? Also, does SW allow you to "gate-check" your stroller, like other airlines? My biggest concern is that I know SW doesn't do assigned seating when you make your reservation. So, what do I need to do to make sure we have at least 2 seats together (DS is 3)? TIA!:thumbsup2

Yes, the bags are free on southwest as long as they aren't overweight. I 99.9% sure they do gate check. With the seating you can pre-board since you have a small child. I believe the age limit is 5 and under and only the parents can pre-board, not the entire party. If you have any other questions just ask, I've flown southwest several times (most recent in Jan).

For our upcoming trip, my family will be flying SW for the 1st time. Each person can have 2 checked bags without a fee, right? Also, does SW allow you to "gate-check" your stroller, like other airlines? My biggest concern is that I know SW doesn't do assigned seating when you make your reservation. So, what do I need to do to make sure we have at least 2 seats together (DS is 3)? TIA!:thumbsup2

Yes you can gate check your stroller. Yes 2 free bags per person as long as they are under 50 lb each.

Main thing with seating is to make sure you check-in online at exactly the 24 hour mark. If you do that you will have no problem getting seats together. SW will assign A, B, & C boarding passes 1-60 of each. If you check-in at the 24 hour mark you will most likely get A's and have no problem. They do allow boarding with young children (4 & under I think) in between boarding A & B so if you don't get an A you can board at that time.

I have flown SW many times with parties of 4-5 people and we have always been able to sit all together with no problem at all.

Main thing with seating is to make sure you check-in online at exactly the 24 hour mark. If you do that you will have no problem getting seats together. SW will assign A, B, & C boarding passes 1-60 of each. If you check-in at the 24 hour mark you will most likely get A's and have no problem. They do allow boarding with young children (4 & under I think) in between boarding A & B so if you don't get an A you can board at that time.

This exactly! The sooner you can get on that plane the better. We have traveled SW with our family of 6 before and usually have no problems sitting together if we check-in at 24 hours out.
Good luck!

o.k. so i can use the online check in service for the boarding passes 24 hours in advance?, i used the wanna get away fare, can i still do it with that rate?

under 4, you are eligible for special boarding (between the A's & the B's).
There are approx 60 slots in each group so PLENTY of seats left after the A's board. Do check in @ 24 hrs as suggested. If you get A passes, board in the order listed on your pass, for example A32-34. If you get B passes (and it is possible right at 24 hrs to get B's) board under the special boarding rules with your very young child. They may only allow 1 parent to board at that time although it is also common to let all members of the party to go together (provided you haven't brought 8 or 10 others!!) If one of you must wait, it is unlikely some stranger would want the extra seat in your row (be sure to leave the middle seat empty until your spouse gets there to make it even less attractive). Most important, RELAX!!! People make a big deal out of SW's boarding procedure but it's really very easy and smooth and you WILL have at least one of you sitting with your child.

under 4, you are eligible for special boarding (between the A's & the B's).
There are approx 60 slots in each group so PLENTY of seats left after the A's board. Do check in @ 24 hrs as suggested. If you get A passes, board in the order listed on your pass, for example A32-34. If you get B passes (and it is possible right at 24 hrs to get B's) board under the special boarding rules with your very young child. They may only allow 1 parent to board at that time although it is also common to let all members of the party to go together (provided you haven't brought 8 or 10 others!!) If one of you must wait, it is unlikely some stranger would want the extra seat in your row (be sure to leave the middle seat empty until your spouse gets there to make it even less attractive). Most important, RELAX!!! People make a big deal out of SW's boarding procedure but it's really very easy and smooth and you WILL have at least one of you sitting with your child.

Thanks for the advice! I feel better now just knowing SW's boarding procedure. I figured at least 1 of us would be able to sit by DS. I don't think anyone else wants to sit by my 3 yr old crazy boy! :laughing:

o.k. so i can use the online check in service for the boarding passes 24 hours in advance?, i used the wanna get away fare, can i still do it with that rate?

Not to confuse the subject, but all passengers may use the online check in service which isn't available until 24 hours before your flight. SWA also offers an Early Bird Check In Service which is $10 per ticket, where SWA will automatically check you in 36 hours before your flight. For $10, you don't have to be at a computer exactly 24 hours before your flight and you get earlier boarding numbers than those that check in 24 hours ahead. This is very convenient when you at the parks and don't want to take the time to find a computer or check in on your phone.

Not to confuse the subject, but all passengers may use the online check in service which isn't available until 24 hours before your flight. SWA also offers an Early Bird Check In Service which is $10 per ticket, where SWA will automatically check you in 36 hours before your flight. For $10, you don't have to be at a computer exactly 24 hours before your flight and you get earlier boarding numbers than those that check in 24 hours ahead. This is very convenient when you at the parks and don't want to take the time to find a computer or check in on your phone.

i have already paid for the tickets, can i just do it now for the trip home, i never though about how i would get my boarding passes for the way home, we won't have a computer, nor do we have a phone we have internet on, hmmmmmm

You can add Early Bird checkout even if you have already paid for your ticket. Additionally, for choose to add it one way or round trip. I normally do not use it one the way down but use it for the return trip.

Yes, they gate check....just pay the extra $10 per ticket and you will get A boarding....we do that both legs and we have always gotten lower than A20...especially on the return so you don't have to worry.

sorry this is the first time i have flown in like 10 years, so if i do the early bird chek-in for the way home, where do i get my boarding pass from because i will not have access to a computer to print the passes out?, or will they just be waiting for me at the airport?

thanks!, sorry one more question, our flight home is not non-stop, does are boarding pass, also include the info for the next flight we take, or do we get new passes? sorry like i said i have flown in ten years, and all flights i have taken have been direct flights.

thanks!, sorry one more question, our flight home is not non-stop, does are boarding pass, also include the info for the next flight we take, or do we get new passes? sorry like i said i have flown in ten years, and all flights i have taken have been direct flights.

You wil be checked in for both legs of your flight and you can get both boarding passes printed when you check your bags at the airport.

I'm pretty sure they'll just give you 2 passes at the first stop. If it's a connecting flight you may only get one (as you won't be switching planes).

Don't worry, I've flown enough for the both of us :)

You can print them out at a kiosk in the counter area. No problem! I have done this a few times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter