Tell me to quit stressing

sarah05

Mouseketeer
Background: I was the little girl that saved her change dreaming of going to WDW but never got there. Went in 2008 with in laws and family, stayed at WL. Had a good time, but really looking forward to it just being me, DH, and DS (6). Didn't really get to help plan much last time, so want to do it my way this time. Going 11/27/11-12/3/11. 12/1 will be our 10th anniversary.

Okay... We had always said we would just do value if we went back to save money, but decided we want it to feel more luxurious/special than that. Got a pin for 35%/40% off resort. Decided go to moderate- POR. Found out that POP Warner starts the day we are leaving. DH WILL NOT risk being in the middle of that even just for half and day or a day. CBR really just isn't our thing and CSR has no rooms that week except for really expensive ones. SO... decided to do AKL (loved WL but wanted it to be different this time). It is sorta a dream come true because I have always wanted to stay there and my DS LOVES animals. BUT now I have the "planning bug" and I am totally stressing out. I know you can read positives and negatives about just about anything on here.... but I am now reading about how far away we will be from everything. I knew where AKL was when I booked it and we really don't mind a little ride to get to the parks, but some of the postings scare me. I'm trying to convince DH to drive our car some, but he really doesn't want to except to downtown Disney maybe. I know we will like the resort, I'm just second guessing everything. I am also reading about how crowds have went up every year during that time. I also found out that the Christmas parade taping will be the first weekend in Dec and I had really hoped to end our trip with MK on Friday. But I read somewhere the taping will be Thursday, Friday, and Saturday!!! We went the same time of year last time and loved it and thought the crowds were good overall... but I'm worried now. Guess it's just typical doubt, but I have thought of changing dates. I have also panicked about the money (though it was a good deal because of the PIN). I mean we can technically afford it, but for that much money it better seem like a dream come true and I wonder if we just shouldn't change to value (though we really, really don't want to). It's just a lot of money- someone tell me I won't regret it.

I have never stayed at AKL but i hear it is great. I think that you will have a lot of fun and know that the money that you spent your money on a fun trip that you and your family will always remember :)

Only you can decide if it's worth the money to you. But if you can afford it and this is a dream vacation, then I'd say stick with AKL. You stayed Deluxe last time and a move downward to a value, may make it less than "dreamy" for you.

You get Queen size beds, double sinks, a gorgeous lobby, a view of the savannah from your resort, and a fabulous pool. You'll also have some great restaurants right there if you like and in reality you're not THAT far from the parks. No, you're not a 5 minute boat ride to MK like you are at WL, but you're on Disney property and AKL doesn't share buses with other resorts. So your overall travel time is probably the same or less than other resorts that share buses.

If you'll have your car, you can decide to use it or not after you get there.

Relax and enjoy planning your park days instead of worrying about what other people say about the resort you've picked. I've learned from experience to go with what feels right to you. Everytime I second guess myself and let someone talk me out of something I wanted to try, I regret it. It's okay to get information and know the plusses and minuses of something going in, but don't let anyone spoil for you what you've been looking forward to.

Hi there-
We stayed at AKL in August of 2008 with our boys who were 6 and 7 at the time. We absolutely loved it! The busses were great, and we didn't feel like we were that far removed from anything. We would stay there again in a heartbeat, but we're a family of five, so we're trying POR this time around! Feel good about your choice-AKL is awesome!!!

Steph

Disney is quite fun no matter how crowded it is. And when they are taping the parade it will be crowded pretty much mostly at the Magic Kingdom. Think of it like this. If it wasn't fun with big crowds then there wouldn't BE big crowds. People wouldn't go.

Now, for the resort question. AKL is a beautiful resort. You will love it! However, you have to decide what sort of Disney guest you are to know if it is worth the money over a value. Do you make use of the resort amenities? Do you spend a lot of time at the resort swimming, etc? My family uses the resort to sleep in, period. For us a deluxe just doesn't make sense. But there is no doubt that staying at a nicer resort can make a big difference. Especially AKL. It is a wonderful looking place.

We went last year in December and the crowds weren't too bad. But it was COLD! That's what you SHOULD be worrying about. ;)

WOW !! Take a deep breath!! :grouphug: From someone who also planned their trip to death, let me tell you, whatever happens on your trip will be a perfect trip. I know that sounds odd, but let life just happen and let go a little bit.

Start looking at the positives. You jumped up to a deluxe and you're going to stay at AKL ! :banana: YAY!!! It's absolutely gorgeous!!! If you're on the bus a little longer, who cares? You're at Disney ! Just maybe plan to get to the bus stop a little earlier than you would have.

If they're taping the Christmas parade the last day you're there ? That's awesome !! :santa: You get to BE THERE !! ( all of us are home !! we're NOT there!! :lmao: ) Also, while the parade is taping think about this....who's on line at the rides ? NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE!! they're watching the parade!! Score for you!! :thumbsup2

I would make sure you make your ADR's though, so you have everything you want. Just remember, even something that goes wrong on your trip will still make a funny memory someday. The wonderful thing is, you're going to be able to see how gorgeous everything looks at Christmas. How lucky for you!!

So stop stressing and spend your time better.....use it to get excited !:yay:

Ok...deep breath!! :goodvibes Take a step back and remember...You are going to Walt Disney World.

LOL Sorry, but sometimes that helps the stressing. I could give you the same answer my DH gives me Bless his soul... "Jenn I don't care, I will be at Disney, feed me dog food and let me sleep on the bus. I will be AT Disney!"

Yes, he has actually said that when I've started to stress about everything. Just keep in mind what's important to the three of you and what the three of you hope to gain by this trip...relax it will be fantastic! :wizard:

AKL is awesome! We stayed there twice in the past 6 months.
It is like nothing I have ever experienced. The lobby is breathtaking and you immediately feel like you are in another destination. The rooms, to me, are the best themed rooms at WDW. The beds are so pretty. The only thing I don't like with AKL is it's very dark inside.
Even if you do not have a Savannah room, there are spots to see the animals. I saw you are going early December. I just love the Christmas decorations at AKL.
Yes, it is far from the other parks, but it's all relative. Plan smart and you will minimize bus times.
I don't think you can regret staying at AK. Everyone should try it once.

Quit stressing. :rotfl: How'd I do?
That is a great time of year! You will love AKL in December! With cooler temps the animals should be more active. You will walk into the resort and just sink into a chair by the roaring fire in the lobby. Maybe you will luck into a storyteller. The pool will be heated and you will have a hard time getting your kids back out of it, because they will love it so much. When you eat at Boma there are bongo type drums in the small waiting area that a nice person from Africa will teach your kids how to bang on properly! They will LOVE that!
Rooms will be 2 queen beds, or maybe even a queen and bunks? ahhhhh.
The buses, well if they are not doing it for you and if your car is there, and if you have a good map of Disney area, (why do I sound like Cindy's stepmother?) maybe DH will change his mind about driving! If you do drive and go back to the parks in the afternoon after a rest, or switch to another park after eating at DTD, ask if you can check near the front for vacated spaces. We have found awesome front row parking that way! :thumbsup2

Congrats on your anniversary, 12 years for us on Dec 1st! I had the same question...between POR and AKL. We decided on POR cost wise was the only reason. If I wasn't worried about $$, I'd have gone with AKL. Your son will never forget you did this!

Stop stressing :laughing::laughing:

You will love AKL. It has the same type of Lobby that is open. It's a beautiful resort, I think the pool is larger at AKL. And it's zero entry. Mara has more seating the Roaring Forks.
Be sure you do the night vision scopes, really cool. We also enjoyed the Evening Cultural exchange nights, and they have story telling around the fire pit. Love Boma, yum.

As for transportation, it's fine. You've stayed at WL- Epcot & DHS are about the same transp. time. You're at AK in minutes, and it takes approx. the same time to get to MK from AKL, as it takes to get to AK from WL.
You'll be fine.

Welcome to "pick your resort", I am right there with you I made me resv back In Dec for POP and have changed it twice curently staying at BWI:rotfl2:. Its part fun and part stress,at least to me. You can and might second guess your self untill the day you leave thats something that you have to accept. Next pick the one you child would like the most and It sounds like AK might be the one. I think all the resorts, any of us would be happy with if we where there,now thats not to say one would be better then the other to us but our children dont stress things out like we do. Unfourtly my DS who will be 18 at the time of our trip says I dont care you pick Dad:scared1:,dont say things like that. So I feel your pain,now I dont know If I help you or confused you more:confused3. Happy Planning

Thanks everyone- you really have made me feel better. I know some people would like to be there during the parade taping, but not us. I did read somewhere that most of the taping on Thursday and Friday will be in various spots around MK- not the actual parade. Hopefully that will be taped the day we're leaving. And I really appreciate the perspective on the amount of time it takes to get to the parks- that makes perfect sense.

we loved AKL - we had booked a pool view and was upgraded to savanah view (so worth it to wake up and see animals out your window). We had our own car but used the Disney transportation and loved the stress free part of not driving and making sure we were going in the right directions or having to find a parking spot, waiting for a tram and still walking more - just hop on a bus and they drop you off right there at the entrance. We made all our dining reservations on time even from the lodge. Again we loved it.

AKL is absolutely awesome!!! For us it was a dream come true. In fact my husband agreed to go back this year only because we could stay at AKL. Bus service is excellent and the distance to the parks is no farther than many of the other resorts. What is different about AKL is the "feeling" of being far away; you have the feeling of being in another world. It is very beautiful and very magical.

I think you will be fine at AKL. Just remember, if it were really so far from everything that it was impossible, then no one would be staying there. Some people just expect things the instant they want them and have no patience.

We stayed at POR one year and ended up using the truck after the third day because the buses were really slow coming. I mean waiting 30 minutes or more each time.

I was @ AKL starting 11/29/10, for 10 days. It was colder than that week in 09, but it is occasionally cold in the winter in Florida and I now have these really cute mickey knit gloves as a souvenir. I liked that it didn't rain. Jacuzzis are especially nice when it's cold out, IMO.
The bus system was fine, there were glitches - but not related to AKL, things like a monorail problem one night, waiting forever for bus pickup another night @ a park (along with most other resorts.) The only time I noticed that the buses were really crowded was @ closing times, especially the AK to AKL bus - lots of people go to AKL for dinner after they do AK. One of my fondest memories is of the bus driver who sang to us 'Some day my bus will come...' to the tune of 'Some day my prince will come' after a longish wait for the AKL bus @ Epcot closing one night.
The lines weren't impossible, the popular newer rides were fast passable (Toy story, Soarin,) but everything else was pretty much ok. The decorations at Christmas are beautiful, Osborne lights at DHS are breathtaking. The Christmas ornaments in the countries are fun to browse.
We've been during parade taping in '09 and '10, and if we hadn't heard about it from cms, we wouldn't have even known it was happening, we didn't plan around it either. They do close MK early some nights for MVMCP, so I did plan around that (though it was handy to know I could catch a bus @ MK back to AKL after dinner @ CG and Narcoosees while the party was going on even though MK was 'closed' to non party goers.)
The AKL tree is huge and I sat in the lobby near it a few times, just reading - also be sure to walk across the skybridge to take in the lobby - beautiful. I also really like the smaller tree by Bomas. There is a nice indoor fire off to one side and an outdoor fire with rockers around it. They have activities for kids so be sure and check out the schedule when you check in. The gift shop is the best on property, IMO, interesting and different things there as well as the standard stuff. We regularly checked from our balcony to see if 'our' zebras and giraffes were out by 'our' waterhole.
Relax, have a wonderful time - it really is a great way to get into a holiday season mood. I like that week so much, I hope to be back @ wdw that same week for a third time in '11.:santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter